Should The Joker be actually be funny?

Should The Joker be actually be funny?

CAN he be, and still pose a legitimate threat, without relying on cheap edge humor?

The answer is "Yes", obviously, but I'm curious to see how you guys would define his style of comedy if you were in charge of writing him.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_wldE_4xjVQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He should be able to use slapstick and snappy/crude one-liners the same way Batman uses gadgets and intimidation.

>guy wants to kill me
>he says something funny
>I am no longer scared that he wants to kill me
If you think like this, you're a retard. Jokes always heighten my enjoyment of something.

No the Joker shouldn't be funny and he's definitely not funny in any printed or animated version. Jack Nicholson is incredibly charismatic and has a kind of corn-ball dad-humor joke set that went well with his psychopathy and insanity but it only works with an actor. Considering 99% of comic book writers are aggressively unfunny and poor writers they should just write Joker as a laughing sadist or some shit. I dunno, he's an awful ''character'' and Joker fans are straight Juggalo white trash rednecks with their fat asses.

The ending of this post made me reread it in Scott Steiner's voice.

It works a lot better.

>animated version
I dunno, BTAS got me to chuckle sometimes, but that was probably just Hamil's hammy voice.

You are cancer to comicbook

Of course. It's the dissonnance between the humor of his appearance and gravity of his actions that made the Joker appealing in the first place. Non-funny Joker is just another psychopath.

And you are cancer to literally all fiction.

You're both cancer to the human race.

Actually I'm a Libra

Try to have lots of space. Mustard gas for example is four times the center line of the spine broken, the universe, which cytotoxicity and curvature brings to the condition that he often scalar or hallucinations on schedule.
Bubble graph of a clear error (listed differences of people, depending on the understanding in the war between calm as delays associated with the possibility of unusual structures) should focus on the functional model and exhibit features of his mental illness, regardless of the Holy Spirit sulfur content in the space today swordsmanship class skin immediately known intellectual diversity, such as the lungs.
Special guns and what conditions dialect a long a source of mental properties below Chinese events, he was happy to ultimate reality of deep scientific principle and conjunction of the spirit world. Dimmed because chemicals by myself, except often with the same period a desire social class, known was exaggerated or item loss measured in touch with our own gas fined exaggerated importance psychosis conditions for the growth curves of mustard gas as a serious mental illness, permanently affect the lives of blade settings can be a pain in Japan especially.

Libras are just the worst.

Occasionally, but most of his jokes should just be cornball, bathroom reader tier. His humor should come from sight gags, slapstick, and dramatic irony.

Clowns don't tell jokes, they create humor through gags and pratfalls.

>I don't understand how an out-of-place joke can ruin any tension
>what works in real life, works in fiction
Congratulations, you're a retard

Clark looks really weird in that pic. What's the context?

I don't know, I think he's aready kind of funny, like in pic realted. Am I just an edgelord?

for most jokers, one-liners work great, but he can't carry a comedy or story by himself. it could be a part of him if it's a joker that's better with comedy, but most of the time, no.

comedian jokers are better than clown jokers except for the one in tkj

No, that issue was a perfect example of the kind of humor joker should have. The problem is he hasn't been written that way in over half a decade

Funny isn't here or there but he should use comedy as his gimmick.
Cliched bits we know are Comedy routines are good. But also he should strive to use things like set ups and punchlines in his schemes. Irony. Or at the very least make things farcical and ridiculous. The joke shouldn't just be LOL HUMAN SUFFERING.

I think that when done right, the Joker's idea of a punchline is one of the scariest things about him.

Sometimes people just don't know when to die.

>Should The Joker be actually be funny?
No.
What his "humor" should do is illustrated very well here: It should be corny, stupid... and serve to emphasize how threatening he is and how little regard he has for anyone else. Dumb jokes that are kind of funny to us and utterly horrifying to anyone else in the comic.

I like the tone of Hamill's Joker
>slapstick with a deadly twist
>sadistic and vindictive
>poor taste
The "the spine appears to be damaged" bit in Killing Joke was dead-on.

Nah, this is unbearably unfunny.

I liked DiMaggio raspy Joker

there is many ways of making him funny

you have the cartoonish showmanship of the animated series, or the dry wit of ledger (people don apreciate how funny ledger was)

Ledger wasn't funny at all.

He should care about dumbest littlest things

like how Batman killed Captain Clown

>Captain Clown didn't even get a sticky
He had every right to be upset.

>Try to have lots of space. Mustard gas for example is four times the center line of the spine broken, the universe, which cytotoxicity and curvature brings to the condition that he often scalar or hallucinations on schedule.
>Bubble graph of a clear error (listed differences of people, depending on the understanding in the war between calm as delays associated with the possibility of unusual structures) should focus on the functional model and exhibit features of his mental illness, regardless of the Holy Spirit sulfur content in the space today swordsmanship class skin immediately known intellectual diversity, such as the lungs.
>Special guns and what conditions dialect a long a source of mental properties below Chinese events, he was happy to ultimate reality of deep scientific principle and conjunction of the spirit world. Dimmed because chemicals by myself, except often with the same period a desire social class, known was exaggerated or item loss measured in touch with our own gas fined exaggerated importance psychosis conditions for the growth curves of mustard gas as a serious mental illness, permanently affect the lives of blade settings can be a pain in Japan especially.

I always liked the angle that his jokes kind of suck but he has a short fuse so his goons play along

>comedian jokers are better than clown jokers
this tbqh

he should think he's funny

He looks like Kefka here.

>>>r/comix

The Joker THINKS he's funny. That's the point.

>Joker is some oddly competent autist with a flat and unnecessary sense of humor
>pauses whenever he assumes that he's prompted laughter, recycles some meme catchphrase like a retard, etc. etc.
This would legitimately be funnier than most incarnations of The Joker, in a dumb anti-humor kind of way.

>you wouldn't hit a man with glasses would you?
Attempt to hit glasses
Glasses hits you.

The main thing to remember it needs to be funny to the Joker more than the viewer, so even Jared fucking Letos Joker is still acceptable because his millennial bullshit was funny to his version of millennial Joker.

I know Sup Forums soured on snyder but I loved this moment.

Here's the updated version, friend.

This sounds potentially fantastic, actually.

The only problem I can see is that kind of humor is as hard to do well as any other humor, and quite possibly harder in comic book form.

>describe how you'd write the Joker's sense of humor
>Sup Forums can tell you whether they'd want you anywhere near the Joker as a writer

Okay, so...

>buys a bunch of bananas
>makes Harley eat all of them in succession
>puts the peels all on a single square of sidewalk right under a street light where anybody coming along would see them
>hides a land mine in the grass a couple feet to the side

>Joker starts making mistakes in his crimes
>Really obvious mistakes, Batman is stupefied but goes along with it because people aren't dying for once.
>One day Joker's broken out again and Batman is investigating.
>Batman opens door to a massive load to the eye
>Joker in hysterics surrounded by masturbating midgets, dick in hand
>"Look Bats, we're pulling another boner crime AGAIN!"
>That was the day the Batman killed the Joker

Can anyone recommend issues or runs woth an actually funny joker?

>without relying on cheap edge humor
Joker is the DEFINITION of an edgy character.

He's a killer clown. He murders people and gets away with it on a regular basis. All with a smile on his face. That's edgy. If you want him to be funny too, well then you'll have edgy humor.

>hides a land mine in the grass a couple feet to the side

Page of the month. I want this drawn now

Joker is supposed to be scary, not funny.

He is meant to creep the shit out of everyone when he is just laughing after doing some incredibly sickhouse shit on someone. His victims are never supposed to chuckle at all.

I would thoroughly enjoy a Joker who has a relatively casual sense of humor that is genuinely funny, but runs directly into his psychopathy. He would, at the same time, seem more human and more monster.

The only way I can picture an actually "funny" Joker is as an even more malicious and slightly more competent Master Shake. Like whenever he's torturing Meatwad extended to the entire populace.

Brilliant. Nice to have Harley stuffing herself with bananas too.

>CAN he be, and still pose a legitimate threat

This guy pulled it off well I think, so yeah, it is possible.

But I wouldn't want the joker to act like that. I kind of like that he isn't funny, and no matter how hard he tries, he can't be... even though you can tell he wants to be.

nice cut-up

>His victims are never supposed to chuckle at all
then why does he use joker gas?

I know a lot of people here don't like TDK's Joker but I thought his sense of humor was perfect.

>"I'm gonna make this pencil disappear"
>shoves a pencil in a dude's eye
>"TA-DAAAAAAAAA"

>Shows off a bunch of grenades in his coat
>"Let's not blow things out of proportion"

>Dresses up like a nurse to infiltrate a hospital but leaves all the Joker makeup on
>Confronts Two-Face for the first time since burning half his face off and killing his girlfriend
>"Hi"

>Henchman confronts Joker, asks if Joker was assigned to kill him
>"No no no I kill the bus driver"
>Bus plows through the wall killing the guy
>Bus driver steps out, starts to talk
>Joker shoots him

>Stuffs a grenade in the bank manager's mouth
>It's about to explode, dude's freaking out, dramatic music
>A tiny bit of smoke comes out and that's it

>Lights a fire truck on fire

>Sees Maggie Gyllanhall
>"Hello beautiful"

Joker buys a shitload of penny stocks in a very small-scale Gotham shipping company. The Joker then brings all of Gotham's naval shipping to a standstill by introducing a dense, fast-acting jelatin agent into Gotham Bay that turns all the water within a half-mile of the port to thick Jell-O. The only boats that can actually get in are, of course, the boats owned by the Joker's shipping company, which he has outfitted with the right apparatus to sail right through the Jell-O.

The Joker is cruising through the Jell-O bay on his own modified speedboat, so Batman ends up in pursuit. The Joker knocks the Bat over into the Jell-O, leaving only his head exposed. The Joker starts kicking Batman's face over and over while jumping around. He sees the Jell-O shaking and says to himself, "Y'know, it's funny, no matter how much the Jell-O jiggles, Batman stays perfectly put!"

Batman then escapes from the Jell-O mold and has to chase the Joker on foot across a bay of Jell-O, and the Joker takes great delight in how ridiculous Batman looks by mocking his clumsy gait.

If I took the gas away, would you laugh?

>joker tells actually really funny joke
>people are laughing
>fucking stabs them while they laugh
you can have your cake and eat it too

>Try to have lots of space. Mustard gas for example is four times the center line of the spine broken, the universe, which cytotoxicity and curvature brings to the condition that he often scalar or hallucinations on schedule.

What did he mean by this?

>still pose a legitimate threat
He should be funny and not pose a legitimate threat. He should be all about style and jokes, but no dangerous vioence or senseless killing.

I always liked Joker as a failed comedian, all his jokes are the oldest most hackneyed cornball shticks that everyone and there mother has seen before, but with that Joker twist where everything is lethal and at the expense of others
The only really funny stuff should be things like this black comedy and puns that revolve around whatever he is doing at the moment
The real thing you need to think about is that Joker should never go for a cheap laugh

The humor and the crime have to be inseparable.

In Living Hell he decides to murder everyone in the phone book whose name is a palindrome. It becomes funny because it juxtaposes a grave and methodical undertaking with its trivial motivation.

He'd just be this fucking guy.
>horribly unfunny bullshit
>overconfident announcement that HA, YOU'VE BEEN PRANKED adjacent to completely mundane and petty "tricks"
>only his would be lethal

youtube.com/watch?v=_wldE_4xjVQ

I don't recall millennials finding him funny. Some misguided souls have talked about him being "menacing" or "sexy" or "darker and grittier", but I've yet to hear a single person say they found him funny.

To add to that, I've always loved the gimmick gadgets Joker carried like the joy buzzer, the flower on the lapel that squirts all kinds of horrific things, and of course the gun with the BANG flag. I like to think that whenever Joker has to get physical he ends up fighting like a Stooge all the old slapstick bits without that vaudevillian magic that makes it survivable

the joy buzzer, acid flower, BANG! flag gun, and of course laughing gas are classics
i always thought that a maniacal laughing clown who cracks puns and jokes while killing you would be a damn sight more unnerving than a guy just silently punching you, and many of his gimmick weapons might as well be metaphors for the joker, innocuous, silly, apparently harmless, corny even, and yet they kill you in some of the most horrific ways

>he's definitely not funny in any printed or animated version
Have you only watched The Batman and never read a comic? Holy shit being this casual.

Maybe not constantly stabbing and poisoning everyone in sight just because, but Joker should definitely at least be reckless and indifferent to the suffering of others. While his punchlines need not always be lethal, I feel like Joker should definitely never mourn or actively seek to avoid the deaths of others.

As someone who grew up on the DCAU I always loved that portrayal of The Joker
To me the Arkham series or at least Arkham Asylum come the closest to how I like to think of Joker, constantly bouncing between joking and threatening. The Animated Series Joker seemed to value the theatrics more than anything, setting up these elaborate schemes that end up as almost performance art as much as they are crimes, stuff like the Laughing Fish is probably my favorite style of Joker story

yeah, the hamill joker treated crimes as a performance, and batman the target demographic

he wavers between heavy and light schemes at a moments notice, usually being a laughing bufoon, but then showing us the murderous sociopath underneath, and could be threatening one moment hilarious the next

Joker is the prototype of The Comedian. Persé, he doesn't need jokes. He's an Arlequín because to him, the world is a joke. Everything is so weird and irrational, and all this pain and suffering in the end means nothing. He's an absursist, a cynic. He laughs at the world for being blind. He can be funny and should, exploiting that side of him. A comedic side to add to his tragicomedic life, but his punchline is how everything is so irrational at the end, life and death is almost a joke and a punchline.

Fucking christ, under the bed? Really?

I certainly think he should find HIMSELF funny
Sometimes it feels like he just tells jokse because he's supposed to, and he doesn't even giggle at his own quips

I think he should have parts corny & bad jokes while dealing with Batman in a confrontation, almost like a type of reaction to the stress and adrenaline, like a verbal tick of sorts.

He should definitely be used for surprise gags and absurd situations that actually make people laugh too however. Like in the Gordon image above, appearing after a serious scene for a quick joke before delving into something sinister, or like in The Return of Bruce Wayne when the Joker confronts Dr. Hurt. The latter scene is especially funny to me, because of exactly how he confronts him with an absurd plan immediately after an action packed serious scene filled and a reunion of the main Batfam.

He should also be used for over the top reactions sparingly, and to throw snide subtle shade at characters. It would also be cool if they could use his plots and plans to include a lot of visual gags, even if twisted. Like when he buried that guy with his dead wife whom he had murdered years before.

He should also have a sadistic side, like in Gotham central wherein he tries to blow up a bunch of people on Christmas just to leave a bunch of kids orphaned, then he nearly collapses laughing at the thought of their joy and excitement being permanently crushed and taken away from them for their entire life, the happiest time of the year serving as a constant reminder.

Jester wasn't trying to be funny, he was just being annoying to egg them on to lead them through the tower to make sure that when they got to the seal they were all weak enough for him to beat.

I'm surprised no one has posted this page. One of the few instances Joker was actually funny.
I love that page. That should be the whole Joker gimmick. He can just be glad with making a little kid cry but he also can be actually dangerous and a complete psycho. That way the danger is not the Joker himself but the fear of not knowing what to expect if you encounter him.

He has to be. The humour is what makes it disturbing, the fact that every couple of minutes he gets you to like his presence by making you laugh.

Source?

10/10

>mfw i did it
what have you done to my sides user?

kek always loved this page, also asking for source