Charles Soule explains why Cyclops is hated and why the Inhumans aren't 100% wrong

>The general consensus from what I have seen is that “Death of X” did right by Emma and Scott. However many fans myself including are still confused as to why mutants became so hated after the destruction of the Terrigen Cloud? And why Scott himself was hated by his own teammates? Are we missing something?

Charles Soule: I’ve gotten this question a lot myself. The key here is in one of Scott’s (well, Emma’s, really) last lines: “You’ve got a story, I’ve got a story. It doesn’t matter which one is true. It matters which one is believed.” So, here’s what we know — the things that happened in “Death of X” happened as we saw. By the time the various “X” #1s began, public opinion had turned way against Scott. Remember that not every mutant was present, nor every Inhuman. The events were shaped by public opinion and through the viewpoints of people who saw them — or didn’t. In the world we live in today, this seems extremely plausible. People believe things firmly based on a single headline — they don’t even have to read the article. “Death of X” is already a tragedy on many levels — in part because Emma does so much in Scott’s memory that becomes increasingly terrible — but then when you realize that people end up believing whatever the hell they want to despite what seem to be the available facts… well, it’s even sadder.

>cbr.com/x-position-charles-soule-x-men-inhumans/

>when company soldier has to defend dreck he wrote

>What losses have the Inhumans suffered aside from the cloud? The “IvX” intro implies that they had multiple losses, but so far all we’ve seen is the destruction of the cloud. Did something happen off screen?

There’s been a fair amount of cold-war-esque conflict off screen, and there have been losses, yes.

>Will Cable and Rachel Grey play roles in “Inhumans vs. X-Men”? They were both noticeably absent in “Death of X,” which is disturbing to say the least. After all, Cyclops is their father yet they weren’t even at his funeral.

Things happened very quickly. I agree — it’s very disturbing! Such a sad situation.

>Does Black Bolt feel any guilt for his actions and how it is leading to a war with the X-Men, his former allies?

I think it’s very, very hard to tell — Black Bolt doesn’t say what he’s thinking all that often.

>As the Cuckoos are aware of Emma’s ruse, what is going through their minds with the White Queen still keeping up the act with the video on the tablet?

Well… that’s not a good sign, right? I think they’re pretty concerned about it, I’d say.

>Was it expected that the Inhumans would be perceived as having an equally valid, or even sympathetic, viewpoint after “Death of X,” when the stakes ultimately came down to their having to make significant cultural adjustments in a new environment vs. the slow, painful death of an established population?

The Terrigen clouds are not everywhere. There were two, now there’s just one. Their path is tracked on weather services — once the mutants realize they’re a problem, they’re easily avoidable. As soon as the Inhumans learn what’s happening, they immediately (like right that second) leap to help, moving mutants out of the cloud’s path. The mutants don’t have to touch Terrigen at all, which means the problem is really of a limited scale to them. So, the idea that the Inhumans should destroy their entire (20,000+ years) cultural legacy because mutants have a problem with Terrigen… I think it’s understandable that they would take a wait-and-see approach, and try to find another solution.

To explain another way — there are kids with deadly peanut allergies. We don’t implement a worldwide ban on peanut butter or Snickers. We just make sure those particular kids stay away from peanuts. This is that exact situation. Now, we’ll see what happens in “IvX”…

>What exactly changed with the Terrigen mist to make it toxic to mutants, since before “Secret Wars” it wasn’t? Is there a third party responsible for the mist’s toxicity or is the Skyspear angle you were exploring abandoned now?

I’m pretty sure Beast mentions it early in “IvX” #0. In essence, when the Terrigen mixed with the existing compounds in the Earth’s atmosphere, it changed slightly. It still does most of what it used to, but it’s no longer “pure.” So, now it hurts mutants, and characters like The Unspoken, who can get a power boost from pure Terrigen, can’t use it.

>You are an Emma fan, so what were some of your favorite parts about writing Emma, and also did you ever feel some sort of bias just because you do favor her a bit?

I really try not to do that, and write characters as the story requires. Emma is a glorious character to work with, and I’d love to do more with her. I like writing her dialogue, obviously — that ability to skate right on the edge between aloof and outright cruel… it’s wonderful.

>Emma’s mental state was basically shattered due to Scott’s death and the T-mists, so going into “IvX,” how would you say she’s holding up? Will her mental state affect the way she goes into this “war”?

Not well, and absolutely. “IvX” #0 gives you a good look at what she’s been up to.

>Magneto seemed a lot more powerful in “IvX” #0 than pre- and post-“Secret Wars,” where he’s been suffering from power shortages (due to Phoenix in NOW and potentially a near death experience in ANAD). Are we likely to see this explained in “IvX” or are we just rolling with the idea of a fully repowered Magneto?

Roll with it. “IvX” doesn’t spend a lot of time on backstory stuff beyond the #0 issue — it’s all go go go, right from the start.

>Emma Frost also paid a visit to the O5 X-Men in “IvX” #0. She even got emotional when she saw Teen Cyclops. Can you tell us a little more about that moment? What role will she have for the O5 X-Men? Specifically Teen Cyclops and Teen Jean?

You will see the specifics once things get going. Emma was emotional because Teen Scott reminds her of Old Dead Scott — nothing more complex than that. Hope you enjoy the story!

>In “IvX” #0, we saw Emma formulating a plan and making new allies, including one from the Hellfire Club who wasn’t revealed. What can you tell us about these allies? How will they factor into the conflict?

Wait and see! That’s the fun.

This was terrible. Just fucking terrible. The Inhumans are the worst thing to happen to X-Men.

>Remember that not every mutant was present, nor every Inhuman. The events were shaped by public opinion and through the viewpoints of people who saw them — or didn’t.
So Rightclops was slandered by shithuman propaganda? Someone should gas those pieces of shit.

I CAN NOT FUCKING DEAL WITH HOW MUCH BULLSHIT IS IN THIS INTERVIEW

Alchemy should have turned the cloud into white phosphorus. Though that would have also killed him since he was in it, but he ended up dead either way though.

>People think Cyclops is wrong because fake news
>Yeah, a bunch of Inhumans totally died off-screen
>Deadly cloud is like peanut allergy, no big deal
>Fuck if I know what Black Bolt thinks
>Cloud changed because shut up
>Oh right, I forgot about Rachel and Cable

>Charles Soule: I’ve gotten this question a lot myself. The key here is in one of Scott’s (well, Emma’s, really) last lines: “You’ve got a story, I’ve got a story. It doesn’t matter which one is true. It matters which one is believed.” So, here’s what we know — the things that happened in “Death of X” happened as we saw. By the time the various “X” #1s began, public opinion had turned way against Scott. Remember that not every mutant was present, nor every Inhuman. The events were shaped by public opinion and through the viewpoints of people who saw them — or didn’t. In the world we live in today, this seems extremely plausible. People believe things firmly based on a single headline — they don’t even have to read the article. “Death of X” is already a tragedy on many levels — in part because Emma does so much in Scott’s memory that becomes increasingly terrible — but then when you realize that people end up believing whatever the hell they want to despite what seem to be the available facts… well, it’s even sadder.

What the hell does that even mean?!
I don't even think he knows why Cyclops was supposed to be hated!

>>Will Cable and Rachel Grey play roles in “Inhumans vs. X-Men”? They were both noticeably absent in “Death of X,” which is disturbing to say the least. After all, Cyclops is their father yet they weren’t even at his funeral.
>Things happened very quickly. I agree — it’s very disturbing! Such a sad situation.
Wait what? He didn't even answer the question. What was he agreeing with?

>To explain another way — there are kids with deadly peanut allergies. We don’t implement a worldwide ban on peanut butter or Snickers. We just make sure those particular kids stay away from peanuts. This is that exact situation. Now, we’ll see what happens in “IvX”…
This is a terrible analogy.

>still right even in death

This whole interview reeks of Soule being forced to defend the Inhumans by dodging every question. I mean, its pretty clear nobody involved put much thought into this

And now Emma in her grief accidentally transformed him into a memetic entity that was released into the minds of the world's population when she delivered his/her initial statement about the clouds. He's somewhere out there making anyone he infects right.

In all honesty, the cloud should have exploded like a nuke. That would have been a done deal on why the X-Men would be more feared and Cyclops hated.

You mean Ike.
Ike is the worst thing to happen to Marvel.

>where he’s been suffering from power shortages (due to Phoenix in NOW

so even this bitch didn't read Bendis' run

Thank god, no more lemire and soule after ivx

>I have no idea how to write Emma in a situation where she thinks she can tank Black Bolt so I'm just gonna write her as brain damaged
>Bunn's Magneto? His Magnetism being on the fritz? What's that? Just roll with it
Jesus christ, now even he admits he doesn't give a shit about the pre-established crap. This is why we get shit like "Prime Madrox is dead" and "Flint is pro-Cloud".

Bunn's Magneto was pretty good

>Still no announced writers for Cable and Generation X
Don't count your eggs until they're hatched user

>To explain another way — there are kids with deadly peanut allergies. We don’t implement a worldwide ban on peanut butter or Snickers. We just make sure those particular kids stay away from peanuts. This is that exact situation. Now, we’ll see what happens in “IvX”…
Peanuts weren't a fucking bomb dropped on earth and travels around the earth, driving scared people out of homes.
But I'm glad the Shithumans care more about their Holy Fart Cloud increasing their Aryan race then mutants.

Ike will die someday, but this story will always be there, for future generations to look at

LOOK AT X-23's ASS OMFG!

What the fuck

Gen X has runaways colorist (yup) as a writer.
And Cable will have literal who as well, if the announcements are any indication

>Bunn's Magneto was pretty good

yes.
but wasn't the whole powers issues revealed to be Dark Beast fucking with them?

>"Flint is pro-Cloud".
Which is the point I think Soule gave up because HE WROTE FLINT'S FAMILY DYING FROM THE CLOUD!

>Gen X has runaways colorist (yup) as a writer.

why are people so pissy about this?
She could be a good writer, but you don't know her non-coloring work, so shes automatic shit?

how do you expect new writers to enter this industry?

nigga, stop
I'm not in the mood for shitposting

Who is character left of Inferno, right of Gorgon and OML?

After the shitshow that Uncanny Inhumans has been and the trash that was Death of X, coupled with this awful interview, I have no faith left in Soule as a writer.

you don't let someone, who never drove a car before, drive an expensive car

I am 100% serious.
everytime someone from "outside the industry" starts writing books (especially at Marvel), everyone on here flips their shit and goes "literally who?"

Just want to remind everyone that Soule is a lawyer and this is the best explanation he could come up with

>A fan asked how do they get DC's attention with their ideas. Lee said that he sent numerous submissions and met numerous editors. "Things are different now - there's nobody holding you back from your own dream," saying that the fan could write and draw their own comic, printing your own comic at Kinko's or crowd-sourcing campaigns such as on Kickstarter. "The barrier has basically disappeared... the only thing holding you back is yourself."

>"The first thing you've got to do is write," DiDio said. "People tell us all the time, 'I've never written anything before, but I want to write Batman.' And I say 'great - so does everyone else...' DC is not your first stop. It's your last stop... the more you write, the better you get."

You aren't supposed to start at the top and expect people to take you seriously. I have no idea who this writer is no shit I'm gonna be cautious.

Good to know. If I ever need a lawyer, I will certainly never hire Soule

Its fucking Generation X, with only two characters in it who have existed more than 5 years.
calm your fucking tits.

I think it's Nightcrawler

How about suck my dick, you cockmongling piece of shit?

ok.

You mean that nanomachines asspull? I think that was only the case with Scott.

It's clear they wrote this whole thing with no plan. The radical character changes like Storm, Flint, and magik, show the at least Lemire and Asmus had no idea what was going to happen when the plot was introduced.

This Inhumans thing was a bust to begin with.
>>Never explained why Inhumans and Mutants were different.
>>Only pushed because Not-Fox X-Men, when the X-men were popular cause of character and stories, not because they were a mob of power characters.
>>The Inhumans were never widely hated. The only instance I can think of is New Warriors by Yost.
>>Constantly pushing them in Agents of SHIELD, when nobody cares. "Oh, you got humans who were experimented on who when they touch gas-" yeah, nobody cares.
>>Leave out Crystal, who is easily the most likable Inhuman, just to focus on Medusa, the most boring Inhuman.
>>Only good character to come of this is Kamala Khan, and she's pretty far separated from being part of Inhuman stories.

It is painful how this wasn't going to work, and yet they kept trying.

In the corner is OML, in front of him is kurt.

>but there's only one giant death cloud now, and every mutant can simply monitor weather services forever and drop whatever they're doing and go on an indefinite road trip any time the cloud gets within a thousand or so miles of them
This is some silliness right here.

but shes written other things before.
thats why she was hired. the editors have enjoyed her other works.

Crystal is awful, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that she's the most likable Inhuman.

anad wolverine confirmed for non-canon

Literally the only thing in her bibliography that's not colorist credit is her Webcomic.

Man. THis guy sounds like a complete tool running the company byline of SHILL FOR THE INHUMANS.

Man, I thought for sure he would have added something about how great Carol was, too!

Wait, what about the whole sterilization thing?

ok.
someone read and enjoyed that enough to think she can handle a monthly Marvel book.

>Your honor, my client is innocent. Just because he was spraying deadly poison to people doesn't make him guilty. After all, it's a part of his religion.

You are fucking kidding me. How will they EVER spin this?

Time to read.

That someone is a retard and should be fired

cool, you just described most Marvel editors.

Dat Laura ass.

And other than Hastings, every other Non Published Webcomic Writer/Artist that Marvel got has been shit.

>Remember that not every mutant was present,

But wasn't Storm there? She was one of the main ones shiting on cyclops.

This also doesn't explain why people hated cyclops before the mist but were okay with jean and beast after their crimes.

War of Kings.

>Marvel
>Editors
pick none

Strap yourself in, your in for a doozy ride.

>every other Non Published Webcomic Writer/Artist that Marvel got has been shit

which ones are those?

Why does Magik hate Cyclops again?

Marvel's motto when it comes to status quo shakes is "Who gives a fuck as to the cause? The effect is all that matters!". So in theory one could say that human torch taking a piss in the Thing's drink while he's not in the room can lead to Spider-Man murdering Aunt May.

Someone post the tweet about the Editor asking people to do her job for her and look for talent. What does Cebulski even do?

>Ryan North
>Kate Leth

I don't think the writers are the problem, chap. It's the general direction Marvel wants for the franchise.

Alchemy was her husbando.

That doesn't explain why X-Men who were there, like Storm, are parroting the "Scott was Hitler" line though. I wish he'd have the balls to admit that Marvel came up with the end result before the reason.

If the writers are incapable of at least not make me cringe, then maybe marvel and its writers deserve each other

What we have to understand here is that there's a clash of metaphors here.

The mutants were always a metaphor for minorities in general, blacks and gays in particular.

Inhumans were just their own thing for a long time, but now, whether the writers intend it or not, they're a metaphor for muslims. Before you invoke Sup Forums on me, consider this: while mutants are all about their nature, for inhumans, it's all about religion. Terrigenesis is a religious rite, and now it's spreading through the world by way of the clouds, and it's their religious mandate to protect them so inhumanity can spread.
They even solidified this by making a highly publicized muslim character, that could have stood on her own, an inhuman.

The clouds are basically the expansion of Islam, turning formely regular humans into inhumans (i.e. creating more muslims). Mutants (gays) are dying or being driven out because of this, but if they fight back for their survival (which has been their plight and the reason for the X-Men's heroism for decades), they're considered the new Hitlers. Literally, with some writers.

So yeah, that's what's happening. The metaphor for gays is being killed by the metaphor for muslims, and somehow the gays are the bad guys.

Both of whom had rather critically acclaimed runs on other books before getting Marvel work (North on Adventure Time, and his original series Midas Touch; Leth on Fraggle Rock)

and Cebulski is "creator development" or something like that, which is more about finding new artists than writers. and he lives in Shanghai now.

what about it

She also hates Sunfire for standing by Cyclops even though she was his personal taxi service.

You've put a lot more thought into this than Marvel has my dude.

it's a good metaphor, because muslims are evil, and inhumans are evil too

No, that was pretty much for Scott, Emma and Magneto who were all suffering from weird fluctuations.

She was the only likable Inhuman.
Medusa is a bitch, Gorgon and Triton are non entities and Karnak is only getting cool under the DELAYED solo. Blackbolt honestly has done asshole thing after asshole thing, getting more people killed in his named than ever being a good king.

Not only that, but absolutely no one said a damn thing to correct the people who were talking shit about him. This is complete bullshit.

>Critically Acclaimed

Come on, now. Not even I am saying that.

If anything, the Royal Inhumans could be made into a paralel with Isis or any of the groups who think of themselves as the Caliphate, the ultimate authority for Islam, while regular inhumans are innocent of the mutant genocide.

Yes, it even has a #notall clause built-in

this man is literally retarded. there has to be some sort of mental deficiency for this to be a valid argument.

>So, the idea that the Inhumans should destroy their entire (20,000+ years) cultural legacy because mutants have a problem with Terrigen
Uh, what? I think the mutants might have more than "a problem" with the Terrigen.

This is one of the dumbest interviews and poorest justifications for bad storytelling I've ever seen. Does Soule honestly believe half the shit he's saying or does he just not care because he knows it's dumb?

But Magneto had trouble with his powers after that arc, and so did Emma.

Only if it ends with inhumans being destroyed

Yeah for some reason it stuck for some time afterwards but the nanosentinels were blamed for all their hiccups.

Or he's getting paid to defend the Inhumans and not badmouth them. This is Marvel's new strategy.
"We're not writing flawed stories, you're just a moron for not getting them!"

The whole event is a half-assed justification for phasing the X-Men out in favor of the Inhumans because of Perlmutter.

He being paid to defend it.

The Marvel offices turned into a madrasah so gradually, I didn't even notice.

I know it really means nothing, especially when applied to comics, but they got (at least North's stuff) award nominations and such.

why does Emma have to be a villain?
I wanted her to be at least pregnant with Ruby Summers if they were going to kill Cyclops.
Unless unexpected twist and the father of Ruby is Teen Cyclops.

>Does Soule honestly believe half the shit he's saying
I doubt it, I wouldn't believe the shit I said if I was tasked with defending a retarded editorial push.

No she's an asshole who cheated on her husband, blamed him and guilt-tripped everyone else into forgiving her, then beat him up when he was in the middle of a mental breakdown. I'm not even going to count how bad she's been under Soule since he's managed to ruin both Medusa and Black Bolt as well.

marvel ain't progressive enough for /ss/

>while regular inhumans are innocent of the mutant genocide

but we don't ever get to see those.
the only Inhumans Marvel thinks are worthwhile are the royal family.

It's more like; if some Snickers in a shipment were poisoned and unsuspecting people would die from eating them, would you destroy the shipment?

Spoiler: the answer is yes.

So, why isn't the Inhumans push not more notorious than One More Day?

because of the lengths bad X-fans went to make it seem like Marvel was pushing Inhumans to the detriment of X-Men books.

So, basically, he is saying that Cyclops is not literally Hitler, but actions he did advertise him as literally Hitler.

Inhumans were a mistake.