We already got a Bowie villain thirty years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=VppuD1St8Ec

Stop manhandling the brown cuties.

Griffin McCelroy popped a boner at this scene

Please tell me you have a .webm of the bioluminescence part

youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM

wwww.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M

The part where he bullies Maui? Yes.

WHAT CAN I SAAAAY EXCEPT YOU'RE WELCOME!

Thanks man

That scene was GOAT

shit was lit senpai

Moana?

More like Moeana.

AND THANK YOU

i fucked your mother last night because she Was SHINNEEEHH!

I thought the animation of Tamatoa's expressions were really good. Favorite part was probably when he uses Moana as a microphone.

The bioluminescent part definitely had a very Oogie Boogie feel.

Tamatoa...YOU WANT IT ALL!

Reminds me of The Shadow Man from Princess and the frog.

Now that I think about it, plenty of Bowie references are villains.

> this
> Venture Bros
> Dr. horrible's sing a long

> Tamatoa using orange constructs as back up dancers and a light show.

I need this in my life.

You know, he has a point in that part of the song when he talks about being yourself.

Not everybody is cool or amazing naturally, no matter what the movies tell you. Some people can just be ordinary and boring their whole lives, I dare a majority of people do that, so if you want to be amazing you've to go out and do something to make yourself amazing.

Tamatoa, by his own admittance, used to be drab and boring, but he decided to be more than what he was and now look at him. Beating up demigods and having kickass musical numbers.

That's what always irks me about these, "Just be yourself" messages. What if myself is just boring? Why I can't I want to be something better than what I am?

That was the entire theme of the movie. Maui and Tamatoa's problem wasn't that they were trying to go above and beyond, it's that they went overboard and became consumed with it.

Tamatoa has a point, but he's flawed himself. He digs into Maui for devoting himself fully in order to win the affection of humans, all because of something that was completely out of his control. Maui's love for himself should come first. Tamatoa is the very opposite. He loves himself too much.

Tamatoa could have made a good foil to maui
both only want acclaim from others, but while mauia wants attention by doing great deeds, and is eventually proven to be a good person
tamatoa wants attention by making himself as attractive as possible, using all the swag he can get, and is ends up being a petty selfish asshole

This. Being shiny and lassoing the sun? Cool. Eating demigods and stealing a goddess' heart? Not cool.

I got Kaa vibes from the technicolor eyes.

>could have

He WAS. The song literally says os.

> And yet I have to thank you for my start
> Like you I've made myself a work of art

>like a wealthy woman's hiney

OFFICIAL THREAD THEME

...hypnoguy?

Why was he able to talk? Crabs can't talk.

I thought the same thing and it took me right out of the movie

Neither can rocks, but they got one to VA for this thing so I'm staying open minded.

What the fuck is a Sebastian?

Can crabs wink?

He's a monster of the underworld, not a regular crab

It's magic, nigga

Technically, they shouldn't have pupils. Crabs have compound eyes. These are composed of subunits, ommatidia. Think of each one as a pixel on a screen. It can only perceive a single color/wave. Essentially digital eyes.

Different species have different resolutions. Mantis shrimps have the highest ppi density.

Seriously? This is Lin-Manuel Miranda's excuse for a villain song? Where's the sinister tone? This is upbeat as fuck.

I don't like his excuse for lyrics either.

His I Want song. His sidekick song. Actually, even his world-building song (CONSIDER THE COCONUT).

I was listening to classic Disney songs earlier today. The lyrics are well-crafted, poetic, artful. This current crop? Literal, sloppy, too much like a narrative. Plus, his rhyming sucks.

It's both more subtly villainous and a bowie tribute, so I'm completely fine with it

Shiny?!

>you will die, die, die
Was a shockingly straightforward line for a song that has such stupid lyrics overall

that's not unusual

youtube.com/watch?v=3gZ0OgA_8G0

Only the chorus is really up-beat, you can't really tell me that the first verse of the song is 'upbeat'

Besides that, the whole song is meant to be A) Tamatoa talking up his ego B) Belittling/insulting Maui and Moana, and C) a lead up to killing them both. It's not meant to be traditionally intimidating. Consider the "mother knows best" song from Tangled, again, not exactly a traditional villain song.

> Plus, his rhyming sucks.

I don't know user, I can't help but be impressed by his rhyming of "demi god" with "dechapod"

>And it's happened once or twice
>Someone couldn't pay the price
>And I'm afraid I had to rake them 'cross the coals
>Yes, I've had the odd complaint, but on the whole I've been a saint

Seriously Poor Unfortunate Souls is the most upbeat but twisted villain song.

Even Friends on the Other Side

Up until the end, Facilier's just affably conning the two guys

>Even Friends on the Other Side
That song fuckin sucked. That villain fucking sucked.

But, honestly, user, most villain songs are upbeat because a lot of Disney villains are psychotic. I think one of the only villain songs that wasn't upbeat was Hellfire.

I thought it was a great song. Fuck you, user.

>t. vaguely black prince who was turned into a frog by a third-rate shadow man

It's decapod. It's a cute line, sure. It's also one of the actual taxonomic classifications crabs fall under.

It goes Arthropoda -> Crustacea -> Malacostraca -> Decapoda -> "crabs" (two groups)

but his words and rhyming generally suck imho.
>glitter -> glitter
>water -> remember, daughter -> water
>Maui -> Hiney
>island -> island -> design, island -> island -> mine

Also...just imho crappy word choice.
>light as it shines on the sea IT'S BLINDING

Don't forget

>they'll never be enough!
>too tough
and then
>you try to be tough
>your armor's just not hard enough

Do you think he forgot that he used the same rhyme twice

Isn't it
> Glitters - Beginners
and
> Glitters - Fish dinners

?

It's ABAB rhyme scheme. At least in that stanza.

Fucking LMM rhymes are all over the fucking place like someone vomited out alphabet soup

I'm disappointed the movie didn't spend much time in Monsterland — or open sea adventures in general. Too much time wasted with average quality songs and Moana fucking around still on her island at the start.

I think an extra 20 minutes or so to the run time would have helped the film a bit.

People keep comparing this to major antagonist songs, but you gotta remember that he wasn't even remotely the main antagonist, just a sorta side-mission.

I also feel like the dumb rhyming comes from the fact that he seems kinda dumb himself.

Though that's probably more of an excuse than a proper reason, I dunno. I still liked the song.

Eh, sounded fine like that to me, it was clear what words he was rhyming in that instance at least.

This.

Moana's father sounded like a certain galactic bounty hunter to me.

isnt that the hermit crab from SharkTale

>Moana is Jango's kid
>Moana Fett
>her wayfaring boat is the Slave I

oh you

It didn't have to be THAT sinister. A giant sparkly crab doesn't really need to have a sinister and evil song. I'm glad it went the silly route. Also, David Bowie my dude.

I don't really care about the rhyming. I just thought it was funny that the lyrics start with complimenting Maui's tattoos and then in the next few verses it drags the poor guy's ass right into the dirt by making fun of the fact that his parents dumped him into the sea when he was a baby and he continues to do heroic deeds for humans in an attempt to find the love and acceptance his parents never gave him like damn thats some next level petty senpai

>Consider the "mother knows best" song from Tangled

youtube.com/watch?v=uJNvZRAmeqY

You were saying?

>tfw I'm the only one that thought the movie was almost ruined because of this villain
Ugly and flamboyant dopey-looking villain < Flamboyant scary villain any day
What's with movies giving some characters massively detailed bodies and then faces that are literally just an emoticon

I'm sure the comparison has been made before but did anyone else get a connection with this and Only Second Best from Return of Jafar?

The boastful singing while slapping the good guy shapeshifter's shit

It was unsettling but maybe it's because he's a monster so that's the point?

>Living giant island goddess
>Pirate coconuts
>Realm of the monsters
>Why was he able to talk?

Dude....

It is. user is just being a fag and trying to cherry pick. The other tard even missed he point of the reversal on enough and tough.

As a main villain he wouldn't have worked but as an antagonist from Maui's past he's fine

How did Tamatoa even know that?

Maui's legend has spread across the islands, and the realms of gods and monsters. Sure, Moana's never heard his origin, but she was born long after he'd been trapped on an island, rendered mostly powerless, and had all but been forgotten by humans except as the asshole who stole the heart from the goddess of life and then lost it. Tamatoa is old enough to have been around when Maui was A Big Deal, doing all his great world-altering deeds. He might even be old or traveled enough to have heard it from the gods who adopted Maui.

The original part was intimidating enough considering that you already knew her true motives, it's manipulative and you can see it clear as day in the 'happy' version.

Tamatoa's song is driven by his ego and having attention makes him happy, but the song is also very clearly about his belittlement of Moana for being a 'who you are on the inside' type person and Maui for being a weak little shit for not being able to use his powers, both of these are to further heighten his own standing.

Then the second half just goes full on into "I'm going to murder both of you because I'm so great" territory.

Point is, just because the song is 'upbeat' doesn't mean the intent of the song is, it's meant to be weird and creepy when music is all happy when he's talking about killing the main characters.

Didn't Maui mentioned they did get along for a while until he ripped off one of his legs?

The exact words were:
>You two must get along swell.
>Well not since I ripped off his leg.

That strikes me as comedic understatement so I'm not sure we can conclude that they actually got along before that. Though maybe they did.

mini maui reminds me of the muses from the hercules.

and now we need a fic. Thousand plus years ago, two buddies cruised the seven seas looking for bitches and good shiny trinkets. Until they find a secret that threatens to tear them apart...

Is the secret that crab legs are delicious?

the guy who animated all the pot animations and the muses in Hercules is the one who does mini maui. All by himself. Traditionally.

it's pretty nuts really, guys a machine

Miranda didn't write shiny, I think he only wrote You're Welcome by himself

Eric Goldberg is legendary

wow. Is this movie worth watching?

it's the best disney movie since zootopia.

what sucks about venture bros is that he was offered to be in the show as himself but refused.

russian>original
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZnrBurQff4

youtube.com/watch?v=rM9wxvnndio

how about polish

>it's the best disney movie since zootopia.
Not him but I didn't like Zootopia too much
Should I watch it anyway?

me too, it's just furries blew shit out of proportion.
Moana is comfier.You really should watch it.

It's pretty damn good. It's the most "traditional" CG Disney movie to date, so it definitely has an 80-90's feel to it. If you liked Aladdin/Hercules, you'll like this.

removed by user

bummer.

>2016, almost 2017
>not being SHINY

Hey, hey!

Did you like the song?

That's part of why it works. He's playfully taunting characters who fear for their lives, and he tries to eat both Moana and Maui during the song. Maui looks absolutely wrecked and desperate when he's trying to reach for his hook, but this crab's not even treating the situation seriously; he's just cheerfully singing while thrashing him around. It makes Tamatoa look scary enough. The animation playing with lighting/bioluminescence does a good job emphasizing his scariness too. Plus some of the lines in the song are pretty sinister, anyway.

No. Like most of the songs in the movie it breaks up the rhythm too much, and the lyrics are stupid as hell.
Even my favorite song in the movie, You're Welcome, suffers from broken-up rhythm and bad lyrics. I get that that's what they were going for, but it doesn't make the songs better.

>and the lyrics are stupid as hell

You're not a bowie fan?