ITT: Greatest Films of All Time

I'll start with this one, The Seventh Seal. The Seventh Seal is one of those films that stays with you for days. With that, you have that is is one of the most important for the artform, it was one of the first art films to gain fame all around the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_qj-LMIsM8c
youtube.com/watch?v=lRxKHC7AlHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Andrei Rublev, Come and See, and The Ascent all stayed with me for days, so I'll nominate them.

fuck off pseud. go be a try hard somewhere else

/thread

Too old

Movie. Of. The. Year.

no fucking doubt about it

Addam's Family Values
The Burbs
A Bittersweet Life
Dumb and Dumber
Beetlejuice

Unironically pic related. I have literally never seen so much good acting in a movie like in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

10/10

Watching right now, so far it's pretty good
For a Few Dollars More is still my favourite tho

that's because it's the best of the trilogy. best villain, relationship/rivalry/competition between clint and van cleef is absolute kino, just all around better than fistful and tgtbtu

I respect that option because both films are very solid. The thing that makes the third movie better than the second in my opinion is the music and the larger world.

I think that the Third movie gains more from re-watching it than the second one does. And that is probably my criteria for what defines a really good movie, the fact that you can re-watch it over and over and still love it as much as you did the first time you watched it.

First movie was not that great sadly, otherwise it would have been the best trilogy out there.

Yeah I see what your saying and I would agree, I've only seen both once. Fistful is the worst of the three, and worse than Yojimbo IMO. Still good tho

imdb 250 is the greatest of all time

I don't even know how many times I've seen this

actually retarded

Objectively

Griffith, Flaherty, Stroheim
Pick class, pick subtlety, pick content

this is superior

Reddit: Tarkovsky, Diaz, Weerasethakul, Bresson

Sup Forums: Griffith, Stroheim, Flaherty, early Murnau

Once Upon a Time in the West is better.

>silent film directors

>GOAT Oldman performance
>great score
>dat Hoyte Van Hoytema photography
>complex and realistic espionage plot.

Film is a great pleb filter.

You guys have such boring taste.

>First movie was not that great sadly, otherwise it would have been the best trilogy out there.
Leone's Once Upon A Time trilogy was better than his Dollars Trilogy, though

>Tarko/v/sky
Long takes, nonfactors, virtuoso camera movements all Griffith and a whole host of other silent directors. But Griffith invented the soft focus for the "dreamlike" shit.

debate me now

Still hasn't been topped

It's literally just 4 hours of kino

Overrated IMO, I thought Once Upon a Time in the West and The Man Who Shot Libert Valance were better. Still really good but not the GOAT western

perfect as far as kino goes

Griffith never infantilized his audience, nor did he even ask for one. This is why he is shunned

Griffith's genius hearkens that of the greatest poets. He alone stands mightiest of all amongst the crowd of those destined to probe man's folly, man's love, man's life

surprisingly funny

that one guy is a hoot

no one cares grandpa

The only directors who should even be mentioned ITT

Have you ever seen One-Eyed Jacks? I'd put that up there as well.

Boredom is a symptom of low attention span, low attention span is a symptom of infantilism, infantilism is a symptom of bad genes, bad genes are a symptom of delayed evolution.

Everything's here

Absolutely. Also, Elizabeth McGovern is my cheekfu.

Michael Bay's The Rock

No never heard of it, I'm on a western binge right now so I'll check it out

Pseud detected

not an argument

The might of Griffith. The scant use of a closeup to emphasize connection. Never purely aesthetic, always deliberate. A technique that was once rejected as foolhardy and nonsensical has now been wholly consumed into the entire vernacular of a medium. Whole films are made of nothing but closeups watered down like overspent ejaculation, but with Griffith it meant something. The syntax has remained the same, yet we are so far from his vision.

Actually it is. You pretend to like this shit to impress others. Keep it to yourself if you actually like it you tryhard

youtube.com/watch?v=_qj-LMIsM8c

this is the real deal

>The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Shit-tier just like your genes.

>posting GOAT movies in thread about GOAT movies
>"keep it to yourself!!"

I used to think Sup Forums couldn't have serious film discussion because of plebs and redditors who'd insist in commenting on capeshit, got and shit.
Now I've come to realize it's also because of fucktards like Griffithfag here who ruin the promissing threads by spamming their meaningless nonsense for no reason and derailing the threads while also making them awful for everyone else.
Griffithfag, if you're reading this, kill yourself, or your mother will die in her sleep tonight. Digits confirm.

this is the shittiest jpg posted on tv

>Sup Forums can't have film discussion
>complains about a user discussing film

It's my favorite movie but I don't think it's the greatest of all time.

Don't play silly, you're not discussing anything, you're spamming the same shit you post in every thread. Same images, same text, calling Griffith a genius and non-silent directors plebs and hacks.

Doesn't matter if they invented something when the product is stale, incompetent shit.

Griffith reinvented the English language into something more eloquent and complex. His intertitles are not surplus, they serve as accompaniment to simultaneously flex the mind and the soul, emotional and intellectual stimulation

For many critics and scholars — myself among them — D. W. Griffith’s Intolerance is the greatest film ever made. A century later we are as close to its subject as we are distant from its art. Political specifics, moral arguments, and movie styles may look different today, yet the only real difference is Griffith’s still-daring ingenuity, which calls for a more open-minded reception than in our simplistic habits we are accustomed to: It calls for an optimistic, united popular audience, which Griffith took for granted. When Intolerance premiered on September 5, 1916, its opening intertitles introduced silent-movie viewers to an extraordinary narrative device: “Our play is made up of four separate stories, laid in different periods of history, each with its own set of characters.” Employing a prologue and two acts, Griffith called it “a sun-play,” marked by florid melodramatics developed from Emersonian Transcendentalism, which film scholar Bill R. Scalia has described as “calling for an original American literature,” for “poets with the ability to ‘see’ past the material, apparent world to the world of eternal forms, which shaped nature in accordance with a divine moral imperative. Through this connection, man-as-poet would discover God in himself.”

He did not reinvent the english language. I like him, but there are far more eloquent poets like keats who lived hundreds of years before him

He is clearly baiting.

God tier:
Griffith, Flaherty, Stroheim, early Murnau

High Tier: Vidor, Brown, King, Milestone, Capra, Wyler, Borzage

Mid Tier: Ford, Pabst, Lang, Dupont, Lubitsch, Demille

Low Tier: Zhangke, Kurosawa, Ozu, Vertov, Ophuls, Bunuel, Powell/Pressburger, Altman, Brakhage, Deren, Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Bergman, Dreyer

Shit Tier: Diaz, Weerasethakul, Kong-Wai, Yang, Tarr, Zhangke, Costa

Why do you have to ruin everything?

why isnt bresson on this list? are u scared he might be ULTRA GOD tier?

No.
Shit opinion. Stereotypically shit.

Capra over Ford, really?

Griffith makes you think, Griffith makes you ponder

John Ford is a wannabe Griffith that never left his shadow. Even copied Murnau.

John Ford, the perpetual ant under Griffith's boot.

The Searchers answers for Birth of a Nation better than Intolerance did.

Also, who ever did manage to leave Griffith's shadow?

>Also, who ever did manage to leave Griffith's shadow?
Xavier Dolan.

where do maurice tourneur, benjamin christensen, henry king, john s robertson, jean renoir, jean epstein, and marcel l'herbier rank?

DW Griffith > Jean Renoir

I find it absolutely hilarious how each Frank Capra, John Ford, and Jean Renoir all made several poor remakes of Griffith's works.

Once upon a time in america is better than that.

Emily Jean > DW Griffith

No question about it.

one of my favorite movies

At their best they all overcame him.

Fuck off with these old ass movies. There are not "great" , movies only improve with time

Griffith is indisputable reddit babby tier

user... easy on the shitty opinions

>someone i don't like likes griffith, time to start calling him reddit now!
kill yourself

Sup Forums: Griffith, Stroheim, Flaherty, early Murnau

reddit: Lynch, Malick, Tarkovsky, Dreyer, Bresson

> glorifying the shit movies of a white supremacist

youtube.com/watch?v=lRxKHC7AlHc

respond megaautist

>waah wah! griffith is rassis!!!!
Griffith merely shows you the facts and the truth. Whether you like it or not, says more about your character than it does his.

Griffith also manages a deft blend of comedy with tragedy that establishes character through action and shows ebbs and flows of life. Griffith isn't just death, destruction, death, destruction, death, destruction because Griffith knows existence isn't that way. This is why Griffith will always be better than Tarko/v/sky and Frank Capra as well as Billy Wilder admitted their biggest influences were Griffith. Every filmmaker takes from Griffith whether they consciously or subconsciously. He wasn't "the racist blockbuster crosscut guy." Everything about filmmaking comes from Griffith.

Would a racist white supremacist have made Broken Blossoms?

>I'm a film buff!

Who are your favorite directors?

>Wong Kar-Wai, Edward Yang, Bela Tarr, and Hou Hsiao Hsien!

Favorite cinematographers?

>Umm

Have you seen anything by DW Griffith?

Who? You mean that racist guy?

that first scene where he talks to death...
man hearing them speaking in swede resonanted more for some reason than how it would be in english probably

I haven't seen Birth of a Nation, is it truly racist, is it racist in a factual way, or is it not racist at all and merely depicts history as it was?

pls post eddy.