What is the best Retcon or addition to a character or story you have ever read?

What is the best Retcon or addition to a character or story you have ever read?

Hal Jordan dindu nuffin.

This

Speed Force.

To be fair, that retcon was only to fix another retcon; "Coast City drove Hal insane and made him Parallax"

The Inhumans told Thing that Lockjaw was once a normal human that got exposed to terrigen gasses, and now they treat him like a pet because of their fucked up caste system.

This was later retconned in the best possible way.

"Holy fuck, Thing actually BELIEVED that? We were just fucking with him. He's an inhuman dog. Holy crap, that's hilarious that he actually believed that."

Dinah SR and Dinah jr mother and Daughter legacies.

Best retcon? Changing Green Arrow's origin to him being a rich playboy who became stranded on an island.

Seriously, read his Golden Age origin. It's shit. No one remembers archaeologist Oliver Queen.

Thanks Kirby!

Also New 52 Oliver Parents death.

Nah, best version of the Island Origin id either the backstory in the first Grell run issues or the Year One take. Nu 52 fucked it up with his dad still being alive.

>Wolverine's claws being from him, not his costume
>Donald Blake being the actual Thor, who was turned into Donald by Odin in order to humble him
>Electro's entire criminal career is based on his insecurity and fear of being a nobody
>Alex Luthor hates Superman for his own egotistical reasons, not because of hair loss

Superman being able to fly

The Shade being changed from your typical Golden Age villain into an anti-Villain that only acts like a stereotype because he thinks it's fun.

that's a bad retcon lockjaw should be an inhuman man that's treated like a dog to show how evil and shitty the inhumans are

This.

>tfw reading it for first time
>I know about it
>still get "ooooh"

Superboy being a clone of Supermand and Lex Luthor.

Also developing traditional Kryptonian powers. Too bad Lindell shat all over it.

Goddamn fucking autocorrect

*Superman
*Lobdell

You can just feel the pure anger of Swamp Thing with this page.

>Magneto being a Holocaust survivor

>Alfred NOT being an annoying fatass

>Roderick Kingsley was the real hobgoblin, retired and got away with everything
>Spider-Woman is a regular person and not a highly evolved spider
>Wanda and Pietro are Magneto's children
>Crisis on Infinite Earths

Johns dancing around the two Wallys was pretty amazing imo

I also loved how Levitz fixed the "No Superboy" shit post-crisis in Legion.

Louise Simonson fixing the stupid premise of X-Factor by Apocalypse plotting was nice too

I love everything about Alan Moore's run except his treatment of previous characters.
Like Abigail's husband was turned into this loser alcoholic who sold his soul to Anton.
There was that Lois Lane kinda reporter chick and the good healing scientist who join Swamp Thing against that evil corporation were rewritten as this timid abused woman of paranoia and her gun toting psycho boyfriend who fed her fear to keep her.

Again, amazing run, but these drastic changes for no reason but drama cause you don't care about their character before
I've seen hate on other writers for less.

>spider-woman was a highly evolved spider
noice

I forgot about that one. Yeah, the Inhumans are weird, but that was just odd.

>>Alex Luthor hates Superman for his own egotistical reasons, not because of hair loss

>Crisis on Infinite Earths

People are confusing reboots and retcons.

A retcon is when a current reveal retroactively changes some past fact but acts as if it were always really that way.

A reboot like Crisis restarts continuity, but doesn't have the retroactive change. Everything that happened before Crisis still happened, but the new universe is different.

DC Rebirth

I unironically agree.

People only like Halallax as a theoretical, and I will admit that "A-list super goes bad" has a lot of potential, but put into practice, the actual writing of Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour was a god damned trash fire.

Those shitty extra panels in Waypool were actually Madcap.

Wasn't it Johnny who told Ben?

That's fucking hilarious. Source issue?

>Superman corrects to Supermand
What is wrong with your phone?

Lol get a load of this egghead.

would doctor freeze in BTAS count?

Doom being revealed to be an antihero.

Hal having a nervous breakdown and consequently going Parallax isn't a retcon, it's just a bad turn of events. Nothing was actually changed except what Gerard Jones had originally planned in Hals retirement. Parallax actually being a giant space bug possessing Hal the entire time is a retcon. Not even a particularly original one at that considering Carol did the same thing 20 years prior with the Predator.

shit taste

Commissioner Gordon has always known Bruce Wayne is Batman, he just feigns his ignorance of it to protect Bruce.

The Thing's series, so either Marvel Two-in-one... #something? or The Thing. Probably the former.