Does anyone else fucking hate nerd culture in 2017...

Does anyone else fucking hate nerd culture in 2017? I used to like nerdy shit in middle and high school but now fanbases are either
>dude my favorite Company can do no wrong!
And
>dude I love superhero movies
Core. Not to mention the faggots who get mad whenever a woman gets casted or it doesn't match the source material. Capeshit is all the same. I h8 nerds

Man that is one pristine 1e book.

>Mac demarco fan vs thot in 2017

That feel

>I looooove marvel movies dude
>yes bro we're a show for geeks and nerds and every nerd geek show is good!

its all to perpetuate consuption
the Nerd is the perfect capitalist, he's willing to spend tons of his wages on utterly useless trivial shit in order to pose and gains status with his fellows, as it stands now, its an identity entirely built around material consumption and display of said conspicuous waste.

Nerd culture is just consumerism.

>Dude my favourite company can do no wrong
I absolutely despise it when normies try and convince me shit like MCU or Harry Potter have any sort of credibility and are legit great pieces of cinema. The fascinating thing though is that they look at you as if you are worse than Hitler or personally insulted them just because you don't like something they enjoyed during childhood.

Yeah, modern day nerd culture are sheeple who suck the phallic of corporates. One of the worst group of sheeple are Nintendrones.

>tfw thots might start taking PKD from me but they'll never take Frank Herbert

>People called me a loser for playing Pokemon Ruby in middle school
>These are the same assholes posting themselves playing Pokemon Go

Pokemon Go is social you autist

i unironically enjoy movie fights when Hal is there

This

Nerd culture has become tainted with faggots trying to be in the "it" crowd, which was the opposite of nerd culture when I was in highschool.

>Don't get me started on Rick and Morty fagz

Does anyone else find it horrible the only old film "nerds" have watched is A New Hope? It seems like they won't touch anything from beyond the year that was released. Seventh Seal is kind of an exception I guess but it has me curious out of all the Bergman films why specifically do pop culture fags like that one the most?

At least we still have anime and manga

I used to watch, tried during the Mr Sunday movies ep and had to skip through, fucking awful pacing and uninteresting premises. Everyone tries to win through hyperbole and they all want to avoid offending anyone
>girl said wonder woman had best action scene of the decade
lol

I feel like The Nightmare Before Christmas is the missing link.

Behind every nerdy normie is a higher-than-average love for that movie.

Late 2000s/early 2010s with Marvel surging in popularity with that demographic as well as some other tangentially related stuff like Sherlock/Supernatural/Doctor Who.

He is very much correct.

You could argue the end of the Spider-Man Rami trilogy and X-Men: The Last Stand helped bring in a a different, more vocal and self identifying audience. I can watch and enjoy those movies out of pure nostalgia reasons but I honestly can't even make it through five seconds of post-Iron Man marvel movies. Not even exaggerating.

I would argue Carpenter's The Thing. I've never heard anyone say any dislike for it or giving it heavy criticism. It seems to be a well liked movie on all social spectrums and I agree.

maybe in bitchs

Especially in bitches

you're probably thinking of scene kids

I saw a scene kid the other day and was so shocked. It felt like a relic of a bygone era.

who's on the right?

>scene kids

So hot yet so wrong.

This

Rick and Morty is just propaganda to help push people into STEM fields so the US government can continue with the Russian narrative. The Big Bang Theory might be on its way out so they need another new mouthpiece to trick retards into thinking they are geniuses by saying first year university scientific theorems with pop culture shit. Same show as The Big Bang Theory; same fanbase.

>normalshitters will never ruin your autistic, obtuse robot simulators
get absolutely fucked

What else are safe from normies?

I was a Chad nerd who made fun of the magic the gathering players and steal their cards

i saw that image on Sup Forums like 8 years ago, she's probably dead by now.

>help push people into STEM fields
>education is bad

Holy shit the alt-right is retarded. You can't make this up.

Grand Strategy games. To most people they just look like spreadsheets.

Who said it was about educating? It was purely for monetizing reasons and getting people into debt and slavery.

sneedposting

yes fucking superhero movies with the rise in cosplaying.
cosplayers means pictures on social media means free advertising means generic & easy watching movies means larger audience.

I love marvel, I actually read the comics, and I do really enjoy the movies. but, the MCU does start to lose it's charm once you analyze it instead of just wanting to see your favorite characters on screen.

when is thor going to become a woman

Shut up with your video game console war bullshit on Sup Forums. Nobody cares.

Unfortunately their fanbase is a bunch of toxic idiots who blog about stupid shit in /gsg/.

is Carpenter's version not good? I've been meaning to watch it for a while, I've heard good things about it.

>At least we still have anime and manga
...No we don't? That's extremely mainstream now, especially with the rise of Netflix delivering a constant flow of anime to a wide audience.

not much, and not necessarily things you'd expect. i've heard even tabletop shit, which i would expect to be an absolute bastion, is getting somewhat pozzed. you have to look more for common traits that make something less susceptible to being ruined. these types of things are often not made by/for a western market and are generally obscure, but are created by someone who is able to subsist without having to sell out or change just to stay afloat. they're often more driven by mechanics and strategy than characterization, story, or graphics. they're usually uncompromising and have a high barrier to entry and are generally not enjoyable at all if you don't put at least some effort into understanding what's going on. basically the opposite of lowest common denominator shit.

The only thing I enjoy about manga becoming a more accepted is seeing niche titles I never would've thought ten years ago being published and translated into English.

>Watching The Thing for the first time
I'm fucking jealous

I'd argue that the current state of "nerd culture" can be credited to Disney's co-opting of the action movie genre with Marvel and Star Wars.

Blockbuster action movies have long been a Hollywood staple and have been relied upon for steady, almost guaranteed profit. When Disney started making $800m+ superhero movies regularly they pushed a bunch of traditionally "nerdier" things into the mainstream.

I don't really care outside of the effect these tentpole films are having on the industry (less lower budget, more creative films).

When it wasn't about "demographics" and instead all about the content of the work.

member when they turned on everyone including James Rolfe for not wanting to watch female Ghostbusters

dwarf fortress? except for the gay/trans dwarves

Today the ultra level normies are the new nerds, these are the types of normies that are brain dead and have shallow social relationships with most of the people they know and barely have any shame and never feel anxiety in social settings and completely lack self-awareness. They just waltz through everything and go through the motions with a smile on their annoying faces and only have the most banal and inoffensive things to say to everyone. They are the types that do not snugly fit in with any particular group or niche because they are constantly being flexibly extroverted everywhere at once and they never form deep bonds with any one group but also never do anything to offend anyone enough to be ostracized and make real enemies. Normies are the modern nerds and they should all be gassed.

Fucking thots ruin everything

The minute anything becomes a social event rather than an actual hobby to enjoy is when the entire thing collapses in on itself. Had comic-con never converged with TV and movies back in 2004 the entire trend probably wouldn't have taken off today and we would be seeing something entirely different.

You should be asking this on an art board like /lit/ or Sup Forums and not one filled with popnerds from Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /tumblr/, twitter, etc like Sup Forums

go back

I fear you are confusing nerds with geeks.

Geeks are trekkies.

Nerds work for NASA.

Hentai.

Small-souled bugmen.

difficult physics and mathematics problems

fake nerds meme about le science xd but they are afraid of linear algebra and differential equations

>this post
really cringey and fedora'd

you mean geek culture
Nerds are Math and Science
Geeks are Comics and Movies

Why don't faux geeks like Star Trek? It's weird how they never really bring it up despite the fact that it really helped push a lot of what LGBT shits are doing currently in terms of breaking ground.

Yeah. I can't really think of anything "nerdy" I like anymore, just some of the very few things left considered autistic or weird, like posting here. In fact I don't have much interests or hobbies at all anymore. I mostly just sit around and do nothing in my free time. Finding something new and relatively unknown I enjoy is a great thrill. I used to really not understand the "hipster" mentality, but after watching so many things I used to like turn sour after becoming popular has made me change my tune. That said I'm not going to start getting tattoos, piercings, or wearing scarves in summer anytime soon. Just continue to not fit into any real category except just existing.

I really can't tell if anime has reached that point yet. It seems like normies talking about how much they hate it is at an all time peak, even on Sup Forums, so it's only a matter of time before enough of them filter down. I don't particularly care for it, but it's insane to me that their are people who post here that aren't desensitized to it yet.

I'm not implying that all normies are these types of people or that these "Small-souled bugmen" as put it are even necessarily a massive amount of people but they definitely exist and aren't rare.

Hentai

Ironic though since anime and manga fans are being treated exactly the same way actual comic book fans were in the very early 00s before it became a hip or trendy thing around 07/08. I think the pendulum is going to change soon but there's nothing to bring in a shit load of normie tourists in the way the MCU has for anime and manga.

Mecha of course. It's unpopular amongst anime fags so you can bet normies aren't even aware that it exists

"small-souled bugman" implies that the person has been cut off from their cultural roots, and totally subsumed into consumerist neoliberal hive. they are totally lack any sort of sympathy for their ancestors folkways, higher spirituality, or passion. if they do engage in activities that are somewhat human, they still are heavily tinged by global capitalism. if they are a sportsfan, they will participate heavily in fantasy sports(which is obsessed with statistics, 'scientific' analysis of performance). if they exercise, it will be all cardio, and tracked by fitbit and then uploaded to faceberg. tastes in food, art, music, movies are predetermined by review aggregator sites like yelp, metacritic or rotten tomatoes. political views only appeal to them if they seem 'rational,' and derived from the sort of conventional wisdom, economics influenced worldview seen in works like 'moneyball', nate silver's 538 blog, and 'freakonomics.'

Outside of the big and popular ones like dbz, Pokemon and sailor moon. Average person does not go looking for new ones.

It's too dated and has too little action for them to watch originals and modern Star Wars seems cooler in their minds.
Also large episode count deters those with minute attention span.

Because of pic related.

Actually sort of happened to me recently too:
>be listening to foobar on shuffle
>"Digital Love" by Daft Punk comes on
>think, "Oh, fuck, I remember this album and the cool anime movie with it too!"
>then listen exclusively to French house and electronic music for months discovering new bands, etc.
>Daft Punk, Justice, Cassius, Modjo, Le Knight Club, Air, and even newer stuff like Kavinsky
>I play it in car, at work in the morning, at home, on my phone, and really just can't get enough of the stuff
>even go so far as artistically looking up the samples some of my favorite songs used like how Daft Punk sampled George Duke in "Digital Love"
>friend gets in on it as well and that's cool, no problem
>we jam to our favorite songs when we drive to the café or the gym
>then people at work start playing it all the time because, "Hahaha! I LOVE THAT SONG GET LUCKY! xD"
>all of friend's friends are now into it because they play D&D together
>go to party and fucking "Rollercoaster" by Modjo is playing right when I walk in
>listen to house music all night and hear the plebs talk about Tron movie soundtrack, keep fucking hearing "Get Lucky" over and over and over again
>get sick of it all and move on listening to shitty punk music instead from all the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games
>not going to play or show it to anyone because I'm scared the cycle will repeat
Worst part of this all? I'm in bumfuck cornfield Ohio. Very odd that 90's/early 2000's French house would make a small comeback here kek. But fuck it. I never want to hear another shitty funky bass house track again.

In regards to nerd culture, I only have limited experience with Magic: the Gathering. Once "gamur gurlz xD" started coming to Friday Night Magic, I stopped going.

I am a fucking nerd, I play dota 2 religiously and no one really knows about it everyone plays fucking league in my life. They dont have the autism to commit to dota

I've seen several people try and lump Gundam as Japan's Star Wars while trying to win geek points for knowing about it but only watching something like Seed or 00 and not knowing about the UC stuff.

I think the recent Star Trek series is going to do what the 05 revival did for Doctor Who. They seem to be trying to get the same fanbase.

Do you mean neoliberal like modern ultra free market types or liberal in the American sense of the word?

How do you consider yourself?

Wait till a new Dune movie is made. Then when it's out head to Tumblr and search dune.

People didn't dislike you for being a nerd. You were just a boring person overall. Get over it.

Envy you, user. You're in for quite a ride.

Well, nerds invest a lot in their favorite things. To them, it's their new family. Some can be smart enough to see beyond, but some will judge you if you criticize their favorite superhero or brand.
To be honest, it's age related though...when you reach 40, this all seems foolish, unless you're a collector.

Then why do I keep coming here if most of us are just overall boring?

league is the better game

turn rates feel awful and clunky

As a whole probably not.

Shows like opm could become mainstream but "generic highschool romcom fantasy isekai harem #8363729" will forever be shunned

>implying AC isn't dead thanks to normie souls

Pro-wrestling is honestly the last thing considered "nerdy".
Normies aren't going to sit through the endless hours of programming WWE puts on every week or just indy wrestling all together

Honest nerd culture is still there and they tend to be the biggest critics of their markets. Why else do you think so many companies jumped ship and embraced the leddit/tumblr crowd?

>Japan's Star Wars
It's funny because I got into Gundam and mecha in general after jumping Star Wars ship.
After TFA I was really fed up with it and I was looking for some other franchise to invest myself into.
Gundam was perfect: long running, with expansive background material, strong fanbase and somewhat simmillar space opera vibe.
Great model kits was just cherry on the top for someone who likes painting that shit.
I also noticed something unexpected. Adopting a hobby as an adult makes you more distanced from it, meaning you can easier tell what's garbage, because there's no nostalgia for you.

Tome whatever patch it's on now.
Y'all need to get out there. Lots of people "ironically" watch hentai. Only the /d/ stuff is pure. Hell, even fucking futa and monster girls are becoming mainstream. Society is really fucking devolving.

>in 2017
Try fucking any year

>melee vs range in league, most range have a slow so instead of letting them infinitely kite melee they give all melee heroes a gap closer
league is broken at its core, meanwhile to foundation of turn rates in dota allow for a more balanced range vs melee heroes and a higher skill ceiling for most basic of mechanics

> they give all melee heroes a gap closer
So? Playing melee heroes without a gap closer sucks ass in dota.

Have to farm 2200 gold for blink dagger.

>muh politics
fuck off burger

Cause death in bill and ted is based off him? Best explanation I got.

It's been bizarre watching nerd go from being more or less a label of unfuckability to being a center piece for a society where everyone is somehow an outsider.

Tokusatsu. The sperging rage at anything remotely like power rangers causes them to run away in fear of not being a cool dude

Indeed
It is unfortunate however that its inherently low budget prohibits it from achieving its full potential.

On the other hand if they start to release PR movies like there's no tomorrow then normies may find their way to it as well

I tell em to fuck off and read Enid Blyton