/trek/ - T'Kuvma the Unforgettable edition

*gets forgotten in front of you*

>tfw your skin colour is a mistake but you get to lead the Space Jihad anyways

Why did he have to die bros?

play Star Trek Elite Force

*is named Duras*

*isn't durable*

I can't believe they've made the Klingons into these horrible, racist black caricatures. It's the most racist thing I've ever seen on tv.

They make it worse when he's talking to the albino Klingon and saying some make see his skin color as a mistake. Holy shit this is racist against black people.

Maybe I'll care about this show years from now, but it's shot so unwatchably with all the angles, lighting, lens flares, and other modern tricks that I'd just rather not watch it.

So the show is about a Black woman versus a racist White Klingon.

Yin and Yang

Wait so Klingons look like this now?

Will they need some stupid in-universe reason to explain the difference in appearance again? Or will writers and fans contain their autism well enough to leave it at "different make-up artists."

>ship turns on its headlights
>everybody in the galaxy can see a new star in the sky
wut

>everybody in the galaxy can see a new star in the sky (over subspace)

It was 900 gajillion lumens though

>it's a Riker gains weight episode

This isn't Enterprise trying to win over the Trekker crowd, this show doesn't care about squaring it with canon.

>People so desperate to hate this show after it ended up being politically neutral and entertaining that they make up shit about lens flares and angles to not have to confront the fact that they were completely fucking wrong

>there are people IN THIS THREAD who don't like The Storyteller, Move Along Home, and/or If Wishes Were Horses

I think I would actually like this show if it wasn't Star Trek.

Just following J.J. cosmology.
>Supernova threatens galaxy
>SKB laser beam and destroyed planets visible from multiple star systems.

>SKB laser beam and destroyed planets visible from multiple star systems.
This still bothers me to this day.

>that they make up shit about lens flares and angles
Did you watch the show?
It employed the same shots as the JJ movies
with dutch angles, lens flares, terribly lit but on purpose at spots, these to name some of the few things most disliked about the show.

light dosen't travel that fast

It will in theory be a lot more Trek like from now on. The first two episodes were a "pew-pew so ebin" prologue to draw in non-Trek fans.

It was SUBSPACE light, tho

They said subspace like 4 times so it must be true.

I didn't notice because I wasn't desperately looking for nitpicky reasons to hate it.

Well I will in theory believe that if it in theory happens, in theory.

>I didn't notice because I wasn't desperately looking for nitpicky reasons to hate it.

I know why someone like you is here, to try to manipulate opinion, but I actually went in to this show with an open mind and unfortunately found it lacking a Star Trek style story as well as being visually distracting.

I wasn't looking to nitpick, quite the opposite, the shots were hard to watch because of the terrible direction and effects.

It wasn't bad but terribly dull and bland and visually distracting and just overall not enjoyable.

I'll gladly give it a chance if they choose to take it off CBS All-Access

To be fair i wasn't looking for nitpicky reasons to dislike discovery but its got a fair few glaring issues.

If fans just like things unconditionally then they'll just keep getting fed whatever shit producers decide on marketing.

Well we won't really know what happens until we watch the episodes.

For only $9.99 you can see this and all of your favorite CBS shows! A bargain this great only comes along so often, subscribe today!

>I know why someone like you is here, to try to manipulate opinion

Get a grip you goddamned child.

>Get a grip you goddamned child.

So were you going to respond about how I was being nitpicky when I laid out exactly why I disliked it and why I had an open mind the whole time?

Or do youu have newer insults you can use?

Just pirate it and stop making such a big deal out of every little thing.

>Just pirate it and stop making such a big deal out of every little thing.

lol, I never made a big deal out of anything, I'm just expressing my opinion.

Not that guy, im this guy So i agree the show has issues.

But buddy if you don't think you're also "here to try to manipulate opinion" then you're fucking stupid.

>But buddy if you don't think you're also "here to try to manipulate opinion" then you're fucking stupid.

No, I'm not, I'm a /trek/ regular. I'm allowed to voice my opinion and I'm not deterred in the slightest by name calling and reaction images, I find it amusing.

Worst character played by the worst actor in all of Star Trek which includes Wesley, Jake, Nog and Neelix

Oh you're a /trek/ regular?

Wow i didn't realize i was dealing with a CELEBRITY yeah nvm.

>which includes Wesley
No, fagboy will always be worst character.

I think what people have to accept is 2nd Generation Trek is officially dead. It's all going to be 3rd Generation Trek from now on that you can either watch or toss in the trahs. Either way it's never going to be the way it was.

F

But Nog is perfect. Your opinion has now been disregarded.

She's not SUPER terrible, but i can see where you're coming from.

I plan to give her 5 episodes, it appears considering shes now in jail but obviously the main character we're going to have a pretty expansive introduction arc so giving her time isn't terrible. If she doesn't shape up by then though you're pretty much right.

>Wow i didn't realize i was dealing with a CELEBRITY yeah nvm.

Do you even know what it is you're trying to do at this point? I sure as hell don't.

Is there a reason the Klingons look like shit?

>I know why someone like you is here, to try to manipulate opinion
Stopped reading there. I pirated the show like everything else.

There are more than two people in this thread, I'm not the person you responded to, and don't pull "durr you're a shill" shit unless you want to be called stupid for it.

This.

Here is how I rationalize the nu-Klingons still being "Klingons".

>shes now in jail
There's going to be a time jump in the 3rd episode. My prediction is something like:

>One year later:
>the war with the klingonz isn't going well, but there is a lull in the fighting
>Starfleet brass wants to sue for peace with the Klingons in this lull
>Michael Burnham watches from her jail cell: That's a mistake, and I'm really smart so I know.
>Just the Captain Lorca enters the scene
>Hello I'm Captain Lorca and i'm a risky morally grey captain who thinks we need to fuck up these klingons not like starfleet peaceniks
>You're the best person for the job and were right about everything Burnham, that's why I'm here for you!
>About damn time Lorca, let's go stop these klingons! The odds are stacked against us! Starfleet isn't gonna like it!

Nog was annoying as fuck but not as bad as Michael. Hoping Jason Isaacs is enough to save it but anything that gives her less screen time will help

If you want me to know who you are, then put a name on. You can't get upset at a person when there aren't session IDs.

>Stopped reading there. I pirated the show like everything else.

So you tell me you stopped reading but then tell me you pirated the show. Seems to me like you did read my post.

Ive had some people say 'Artists could get bored with having to do the same thing over and over and not have freedom of expression'

I personally think thats bullshit.

The Klingons are obviously been redesigned to look like scary aliens. And its dumb scrapping 45 years of a species design which can be made up for by just hiring good actors.

It's what the new movie universe made them into.

>space jihad

MUAD'DIB WILL BRING THE GREAT JIHADS

>Nog was annoying as fuck
The moon happens to be constructed mainly if not entirely out of paper.

They outright declared hair as being non-canon because Klingon are 'apex predators'

Yeah i honestly see something exactly like this happening.

I still expect some sort of character development during considering almost all of her actions lead to space waifu dying, but its why im giving it 5 episodes to decide if the character is worth anything or not.

>people pretending these Klingons only just appeared for the show, pretending the brand had any choice but consistency within the confines of its new canonical definition

So it was just an arbitrary change, they're the same Klingons, they just look like shit now?

>And its dumb scrapping 45 years of a species design

They already scrapped the blackface with chingchong facial hair Klingons, and no having a dumb episode of Enterprise decades later say "uhhh well actually a techno augment virus made the Klingons look funny for ten years" isn't relevant

They also scrapped every trait of the Klingons when they made that visual change, they just ignore that part.

I'll take a bet you didn't complain when the Romulans were completely retooled from scratch too.

>mfw pirating this and Orville and not caring which is more popular because it's free entertainment either way

No, maybe you brought up piracy but if you're going to call people shills because they like something you didn't I'm not going to take you seriously and I'm going to casually defend pirating to piss on your delusions.

>>people pretending these Klingons only just appeared for the show, pretending the brand had any choice but consistency within the confines of its new canonical definition

Rephrase in English, Pajeet

That guy looks within the range of genetic variation you could expect for a species. Not all humans look the same, so why would all Klingons?

>abos weren't classified as real humans until the 1960s

Nobody acts like shills aren't a real thing except for shills.

When they spend tens of millions of dollars on making something, they can easily spend hundreds of thousands on "guerilla marketing".

Just watched STD with my mum. (She watches TNG and voyager whenever it's on tv during the day)
I asked her opinion on it and she said
> too many women
> klingons look weird and should speak English
> space looks like a cartoon
Do you agree with my mum?
I sort of fast forwarded through the desert planet bit while she was making tea

you don't notice cinematography at all?

the look different, act different, and speak different
they aren't the same klingons

>No, maybe you brought up piracy but if you're going to call people shills because they like something you didn't I'm not going to take you seriously and I'm going to casually defend pirating to piss on your delusions.

That's your right, I can't be arsed to be angry like you over something that doesn't affect me.

>the species that gets changed every single time

I know, the Klingons have been virtually turned into Jem-Haddar (or however you spell it) with everything culturally relevant to them being gutted. They've gone from the most passionate species in the Alpha Quandrant to "look we're boogie men be scared".

Also i know they scrapped the black face, thats why i said 45 years instead of 60 years.

Maybe there will be a reason for it at some point, but currently thats all we have to go off.

What's up with the [CURRENT CENTURY] and making Klingons into Niggons?

Your mum has good taste

everything besides std and kelvin klingons were explained within the canon

I just think it's funny how wrong most people here were about both shows before they aired and how STD ended up being neutral and fun and Orville ended up being shitty and political. The damage control is fierce.

Hoping we'll be able to talk about the show soon without a bunch of people aggressively pretending that it sucked.

>Too many women

There was like, three?

This man is a human being.

I'm sorry brother, but that's fully comprehensible English.

Enterprise's klingon disease episode didn't explain why the Klingons did not care about honour in Kirk's era though, they got overhauled in many ways.

Will they find a way to bring fat Riker into STD?

Nope, which is a good indicator of perfectly acceptable cinematography. Usually the only reasons you notice cinematography is when it's incredible or absolutely awful. I think people just focused on it because they really wanted to hate STD but weren't given anything solid other than some canon changes, which kindof ended up being cool anyway because the new Klingons are awesome.

Reminder: shills want you to pirate shows, if you're not going to watch them otherwise.

To have a hit show, they want people to feel left out of conversations if they haven't watched it. The more people watch it, the more people will feel a need to watch it, and the more will pay to watch it.

Besides that, pirates can be sued. If nobody pirates your show, you don't get to sue anyone. Nobody gets threatening letters and agrees to pay a settlement.

Finally, many people are uncomfortable with piracy, and will immediately start paying for the things they were pirating if they get more money for some reason.

Post pics of your mom's feet and I'll let you know what I think.

and so is this man. Klingons have a society that spans multiple planets across thousands of light years. Why can't they have some variation?

lol there nothing fun about STD shill

Is your mum watching in hopes of seeing hot men to wank it out to? Like, Picard and Riker were fairly attractive dudes, but most of the guys in TNG weren't that special.

Because that's about the only reason I can discern for her to be upset about the number of women.

If humans were any other species we'd have made at least a dozen subspecies to divide Homo sapiens by now tbqhwyfam.

Quick question though: Can jet fuel melt steel beams?

>this entire post

just have std be another holodeck simulation.

Thanks for your input as always, Seth.

She's used to Picard and Riker.
She also asked "where's the "These are the voyages" thing at the start?" And didn't like the intro.

New Klingons are not awesome, their make-up is terrible and they all have speech impediments worse than the Ferengi did.

Someone tell me how Discovery ISNT kelvin timeline??
Even the kid vulcans bring tested in that weird trench exam is in the JJ Abrams films

At least they got the ships right, and the mythology (Kahless, Sto-Vo-Kor, etc) and I really like the new style of Klingon dialogue. You're right though that the costumes and interior ship aesthetics have veered dramatically off course and although it does not look bad, it definitely doesn't look Klingon. Willing to wait and see how this is handled though, who knows normal looking Klingons can still show up, ST:D is whacky enough that anything could happen

Honestly I prefer just letting things slide with new series to shoehorned shoddy canon. Star Trek's strength isn't in it's intricate universe, that's more of an LotR thing. It's about space adventures, science fiction concepts, sociopolitical commentary, and interpersonal interactions. The universe warps a bit with every new writer they get to do an episode.

>Even the kid vulcans bring tested in that weird trench exam is in the JJ Abrams films
Why would that not be in both timelines? Your logic doesn't work.

it is mentioned the the augment virus also affected the brain
it is not an in depth explanation but they did explain it

>Reminder: shills want you to pirate shows

>I'm sorry brother, but that's fully comprehensible English.
It's a tad cumbersome and your last part really doesn't make sense unless you expand on it.

>new canonical definition

There are more than three companies with rights to Star Trek, there is no such thing as a new canonical definition. There either is or isn't. Even the old series were once or twice guilty of stories that defied previous stories.

>Hoping we'll be able to talk about the show soon
This isn't going to happen. Most Americans can't even torrent the show so they're never going to watch it. Instead they're just going to keep shitposting about it while pretending they've seen it.