Blade Runner™ Cinematography Thread

Time to BTFO Sup Forums

That's from the anime, not the new movie though.

I just saw Blade Runner.
The new replicants has to be the most impressive sci-fi robots I've seen in years. Literally years..
The movie itself seems to capture that 80s feeling we've seen in Stranger Things and other important work. Do your part and see it in theaters.

>from the anime
the soundtrack in the anime only solidifies that it will be kino desu

>inb4 it's all orange

Checked.

Not enough grit in it but it is in the future I guess

Deakins will make this movie. Such a great choice.

That man understands lighting and shades(?) not really sure how to describe his style I guess.

Maybe this will be his Oscar.

>Stranger Things
Yikes

This shit is going to be fantastic.

>good visuals = good movie

If he doesn't get the Oscar this year, we riot.

>he's building an army
>we have to stop him!
yeah i'm not seeing this shit

This is such a reddit subject matter
>dude this cinnabontagraphy is so good! I dunno why or how it serves the story but Roger Deakins!

Thats what I thought about Sicario but here we are.

>The movie itself seems to capture that 80s feeling we've seen in Stranger Things

You probably defend 2001 you fucking hypocrite

Imgur.com/a/mv8qf

Doubt it beats this.

>I dunno why or how it serves the story
A. it doesn't have to serve the story
B. it's not very hard to explain briefly why one shot is decent or aesthetically pleasing, and it's even easier to explain why a group of shots together coherently convey a theme

True, but it all falls flat and works against the movie 10 fold if the movie itself isn't engaging. Either it's going to be pretty good or awful.

How much do you get paid by WB per post?

Everything looks too clean. Deakins was a bad choice for this. Villeneuve doesn't understand set design.

Sup Forums has been anti-shilling since the first promo pic and as soon as someone likes it you scream shill

fuck off

>Do your part and see it in theaters.
same line used when IT was being shilled here

>if the movie itself isn't engaging
but movies are engaging when and only when the camera is effectively used

It's meant to be cleaner have you seen the shorts

>True, but it all falls flat and works against the movie 10 fold if the movie itself isn't engaging. Either it's going to be pretty good or awful.
the first one wasn't very "engaging" most people were bored by it because the cinematography was so in your face

>shilling on a mongolian mouthwash mixing board

>MUH SHILLS
you just started browsing Sup Forums didn't you? the board has hated 2049 for the past few months you fucking mongoloid

Sup Forums clearly wasn't excited by the first movie

Exactly my point, things need to be balanced correctly. Far from a bad movie, the original isn't much of a engaging movie outside of the obvious strong moments.

>the first one wasn't very "engaging"
yes it is
>most people were bored by it
because there's not enough dialogue telling you what happens
>the cinematography was so in your face
this is why it's engaging

Just a reminder it's silly not to think that shills do advertise on this board though, just not about bladerunner obviously.

>cinematography = pretty pictures

Normies need to fuck off from Sup Forums.

its funny how paid shills actually think they can create hype for this shit.
and also the redditshits who think cinematography is 99% of what makes a quality film.
kill yourselfs.

But so much of it is blatantly disconnected from the story, you couldn't create something a little more substance filled while maintaining the mood and atmosphere of the original? It's just a little heavy handed and there's so much more to cinematography than than neat looking pictures.

Are you retarded? People made fun of this movie like you said, then suddenly raving threads during release.
>no shills
Do you think Sup Forums is some obscure place or something?

>blatantly disconnected from the story
none of it is, have you watched the movie?
>substance filled
describe "substance." every shot in Blade Runner helps built the atmosphere, characters, and setting. The setting in Blade Runner *is* the story
>there's so much more to cinematography than than neat looking pictures
I mean I agree, I just don't know why you think that this criticism applies to blade runner

You actually think Roy and Tyrell were handled well?

in what way were they not? Roy is one of the most memorable characters in cinematic history

>then suddenly raving threads during release.
yes because you would think opinions might change when it's released and you can make judgement??????? You think opinion of a movie before and after release should just stay the same what the fuck are you on about mate

not roy, I mean J.F sebastien and Gaff was handled poorly aswell. The romance scene was so forced, he literally forced himself on her.

>The romance scene was so forced, he literally forced himself on her.
I don't see the problem. This isn't a rom com, there's supposed to be tension, awkwardness, and a question of authority at play

Have you seen it?

>Stranger Things
>important work

Pleb tier moviegoers don't like Bladerunner

Not yet it's out next week but people have seen the advanced screenings and so have critics. There is no embargo like the shitty ones recently, SS, BvS.
These aren't twitter shills but actual sites/critics from IGN,Guardian,Collider.

>Good news! Blade Runner 2049 is a terrific continuation and expansion of the original. Wasn’t hoping for much, ended up LOVING it. (Even Leto!).
– Jordan Hoffman, The Guardian

>I saw Blade Runner 2049 a few days ago, and the more I think about it the more I love about it. Gorgeously directed. Sylvia Hoeks is AMAZING.
– Terri Schwartz, IGN Movies

>Astonishing. More than just a visual wonder, it’s a groundbreaking science fiction masterpiece.
– Jimmy O., JoBlo’s Movie Emporium

>Everyone bow down to Denis Villeneuve. He’s done the impossible and delivered a huge home run with Blade Runner 2049. Loved it. You do not have to have seen the original Blade Runner to watch Blade Runner 2049. But it will definitely make the film better if you have. Even if you have no interest in the film, the breathtaking cinematography by Roger Deakins is worth the price of admission. He’s a God.
– Steve Weintraub, Collider

>I’ve seen Blade Runner 2049. I looks amazing, characters and performances are strong, stays true to the original but there are flaws.
– Simon Thompson, IGN Movies

>Blade Runner 2049 is phenomenal. Visually mind-blowing sci-fi with noir roots shining through in a tight, twisty mystery. Best of 2017 so far. Denis Villeneuve is unquestionably one of the elite working directors and there’s no excuse if Deakins doesn’t win the Oscar.
– Eric Eisenberg, CinemaBlend

>Denis Kinoneuve
>The Goose
>Zimmer
>Nearly 3 hours long
>Deakins kinography
>Watanabe prequel short
Why are people still doubting this will be anything but a masterpiece

My point is there is unnecessary world building, the tone is long established. I could go super autist and point it out specific examples but nah. You're a fully confirmed shill or fresh off the boat from reddit if you can't admit it could be improved and that disengaged audiences back in release day had a fair point.

>I'm not a shill guys, I swear!
holy shit

>actual sites/critics
>IGN,Guardian,Collider.

>Stranger things
>important work

>Pleb tier moviegoers don't like Bladerunner
Fucking lel
Post your top 10 films of all time

Now's the time to bet on Deakins for best cinematography and the film for best picture, while the odds are still good. Could make a killing

kek did you even read what they said

>I’ve seen Blade Runner 2049. I looks amazing, characters and performances are strong, stays true to the original but there are flaws.
>– Simon Thompson, IGN Movies

>true to the original but there are flaws.

>flaws

This is an indicator of what these people will be giving as an RT score do you not understand that? So yes it is critics

Dunkirk getting the Best Sound Mixing is the safest best you can make

>That man understands lighting and shades
You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, Redditor.
Deakins is an overrated Reddit-tier cock sucking fag whose only job is to make sure that the digital camera rolls when his meme director shouts "action!" and finding the right lense and setting up the frame before a scene begins shooting. That's all.
DOPs are overrated as fuck. Especially Deakins is the Hans Zimmer of DOPs - living, breathing mediocrity.

The people who are responsible for the "lighting and shades" as you say are the set lighting technician, lighting technician and the lighting gaffer.
The original Blade Runner got its outstanding atsmopshere and mood due to proper lighting not because of the demented pants shitting Ridley Scott or Jordan Cronenweth (DOP), but because of
Chris Franco and Michael B. Corbett (lighting technician), Adam Glick (set lighting technician) and Richard Hart (lighting gaffer).

Remember the "I WILL TRASH YOUR FUCKING LIGHTS" meme? Those are the guys that give a film its unique look.

God, this place is insufferable. I don't know why I still come here after 2009.

Did you even read what I said? shill

>Reddit-tier

Suck my dick you worthless slut

Because the people praising it also praised Marvel moves and sw7/RO

what sites you use m8?

>there is unnecessary world building
there is not
>if you can't admit it could be improved and that disengaged audiences
audiences are plebs who hate cinema, they just want to watch televised plays

>opinions change
Judging on DV's past meme works, nah we gud.

>shilling ironically
>just pretending to be a shill bro
>meta shilling

t. disney drone

>past meme works
They've all been successful

If facing reality is too painful then you need to kill yourself.

I wish I was paid

>people in this thread don't recognize stale bait pasta

>The people who are responsible for the "lighting and shades" as you say are the set lighting technician, lighting technician and the lighting gaffer.
And who do you think tells them how to do the lighting, you absolutely ignorant delusional brainlet?
Deakins is the DIRECTOR of photography, everyone in the entire lighting department are doing everything under his command (and the director of the film, obviously). Do you think DP's just frame the shot and let the lighting department do whatever? DP's are actually more involved in lighting than camera operating itself, the only thing you'll hear any DP talk during every interview is lighting lighting lighting. I mean do you think photography and lighting are entirely separate things?
How fucking braindead can you be?

Why dp plebs always latch onto such surface level directors, DOPs and meme actors

>anime soundtrack by flying lotus
>flick soundtrack by hans BAAAAAAAAAM zimmer
yeah, no

Who are you that your opinion matters

need more concrete and fog

some twitter summaries

@djkevlar
I've seen Blade Runner 2049 and it's FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

@jasonosia
BLADE RUNNER 2049: The thrill of mood and extensional joys of self-reflection. Villeneuve’s slow-burn obsessions have never felt more SEEN.

@JennaBusch
#BladeRunner2049 was one of the most mind-blowing films I've seen. It's breathtaking and transportive. Denis Villeneuve has a masterpiece.

@jessehawken
All I can say about BLADE RUNNER 2049 is...give Roger Deakins the Oscar now. Absolutely stunning visuals

@eeisenberg
.@BladeRunner 2049 is phenomenal. Visually mind-blowing sci-fi w/ noir roots shining through in a tight, twisty mystery. Best of 2017 so far

@DrewDietsch
#BladeRunner2049 is a true sequel in tune with the mood, pacing, tone, contemplative nature, and stark visual splendor of the original.

#BladeRunner2049 is real sci-fi filmmaking. It makes the new Star Wars films look like live action LEGO movies.

#BladeRunner2049 is NOT some action blockbuster. It is a hard sci-fi detective drama. They didn't reshape this to fit the mainstream.

#BladeRunner2049 is nearly 3 hours and kept me entranced, tense, and engaged the entire time. That speaks volumes. The time flew by.

>I care about names
Try judging it before you know who did it

Gonna wait for kermitmode to tell me what to think on friday.

Bump you fucking cowardly pleb

>I'm still not shilling!
Only someone being paid would go through this much effort and you're making it blatantly obvious.

Why do you care so much what Sup Forums thinks

He's such a IMDBcore faggot on that BBC show

but IMDb hates indie horrors while Kermode absolutely loves them?

I'm really hoping that the movie is good. So far the three shorts have been excellent, especially the anime by Watanabe. I just want it to be really good.

How much are replicants actually like robots? As far as I can tell they're really more like a homonculus than they are a robot.

I just dont like the way he speaks there's something offputting about it like he's secretly a raging faggot

okay just stop misusing brainless buzzwords like then