I have a feeling that some people are going to take this for a bait thread...

I have a feeling that some people are going to take this for a bait thread, but in all earnestness did the women who took over running AT after Pen stepped down simply not understand the essence of the show or did they purposely want to change it?

Season 6 and the whole stakes series felt like almost an entirely different show.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Adventure Time was lost forever when Jake undid the entirety of the alternate universe, and the entire Lich buildup was erased with a whimper. I was showing signs of decline prior to then, I'd say everything post Incendium lost the AT magic that the show once had. I mean, even after Jake the Dog, it still was in decline, but tolerable. The real failure here was during Breezy, when all consequence was washed away, again, without any development from any characters, or triumph to restore the status quo.

Maybe there's a reason that CN only runs TTG, because AT sucks dogshit now.

Rebecca Sugar took it in a different yet not terrible direction, it's those who came after who turned it into a meandering mess.

I don't feel like that analogy works as well in this case.

I still like AT. There's sill a creative world with some fun characters. But I guess I can see where some aspects of it grew to big for what it had time to explore?

It got a lot of hype over hints at the dark backstory and surprising amount of emotional depth, but it's still operating on an eleven minute episodic basis. So while the different conflicts and character arcs progressed to become bigger and more complex, they were more limited by their format and frequent returns to the status quo.

people still watch this garbage?

>but it's still operating on an eleven minute episodic basis.
Oh please. It's not the confining format that's strangling good ideas. At the start of season 6 the creators were given 6 episodes to do their little Marceline Time run. They're clearly given a good deal of freedom in how they want to structure their narratives. It's not the format's fault that every running story they try ends in a let down, it's entirely a failure of ability or a lack of some clear & competent creative direction.

I'd say it is more a problem of pandering to the fanbase and confusing a large fanbase for the ability to do anything they damn well pleased compounded by the issues that naturally crop up due to being a long running series, namely flanderization and loss of steam, that led to AT's drop in quality.

Adam Muto and Kent Osborne are guys
Season 6, while after pen ward stepped down, had nearly every episode (except for the guest directed episodes and Evergreen) involve Pen in the outline, and the same goes for early season 7 (the episodes that came before stakes in production order, stakes, and a few post-stakes episodes, like Broke His Crown), and even after he stopped regularly being involved in outlines, there's still a few that involve him here and there

They have no creative direction that's the problem all the writers are just allowed to do what they want.

This is the biggest strength and weakness of the show. We get some outstanding individual episodes because of it, but the direction of the series as a whole is a mess. I hope the last two seasons wrap it up nicely at least.

I agree that failing to deliver on those slow-building dark storylines killed the show.

The thing that bothers me is that they didn't have to do that. They could have made seven seasons of "Finn the Human and Jake the Dog get into wacky adventures in a magical land with no more exposition than necessary" and it would have been fine. People loved the tone of the show at the beginning.

All that stuff with the Lich and the Ice King and Marceline's past and the hints about the nuclear apocalypse and the Lemongrab uprising and Susan and Finn's father and all that stuff about Finn losing an arm had a lot of potential, and they failed to deliver a satisfying ending to any one of those storylines. Or when they did deliver a good one, like with Simon and Marcy, they killed it later on. The idea that Betty was alive absolutely ruined the Ice King's entire development.

If you're going to do it, do it well. Or it just becomes a sloppy mess a la contemporary AT.

>women
Adam Muto took over the show after Pen

Stakes Was A miniseries not focused on Finn And jake So I give it A pass. Season 6 felt like it was written by aliens. Honestly I liked the mods in the early seasons because it rewarded us for watching. If I wanted mindless hijinks back then, I would've stuck with classic spongebob. But they ODed with the emotions and lore, now everyone is either an asshole or pathetic in this show. And yes, it does bug me how they abandon plots like Jakes monster parent or Susan strong (Although it seems that they will be addressing susan)

the show is the very definition of a mile wide and an inch deep

>Source: Natzilla
>Natasha Allegri
>Bubbline
>Bee and Puppycat
It's like a clot of cancer cells rolled into one post

So tl;dr we all agree sugar literally ruined AT and left after opening the pandora's box of "I DON'T KNOW WHAT QUALITY PLOT OR PACING IS" and then jumped ship half way through to go make her own show after taking a steamy shit all over a nice show and used it as a stepping stone for her to advance.

Honnestly, I'm more upset that this was the fate of AT and SU still gets air time. Sugar is a fucking hack and somehow still gets support from the network. The only benefit of sugar leaving is that it took all the AT autismo waifu fags out of the general AT discussion but in turn they raped the AT general community so bad that when they all jumped ship, the general community was on life support.

So yeah fuck rebecca sugar, she literally ruined a good show for nothing.

I wonder how Finn would've developed if Flame Princess wasn't incorporated into his life.

Probably Finnceline?

Reading that reminds me of threads on /x/ where people look at rocks and trees and see aliens and ghosts.

Here let me sum up this post

"I'm jealous of this art so I'm going to find reasons not to like it."

>I don't know what I'm talking about
Okay.

>sugar literally ruined AT
she was the only storyboarder interested in lore and everyone else was a shipper

you literal retard

>She ruined Marceline and Finn
>"took it in a different yet not terrible direction"
>"not terrible direction"
Fuck off.

Rebeccafags are fucking cancer.

>fabricates virtually entire wall of text
>gets called out
>r-rebeccafags
Sugar was one of the few people trying to end the shipping wars by creating a singular love interest for the protag.

I think the problem was that things ended up only half done.

If Rebecca Sugar hadn't done any of that stuff in the first place, it would have been fine. The show would have gone in a different direction/stayed closer to how it started, and things would probably be okay.

If Rebecca Sugar had started all that and actually stayed to see it through, it probably would have been pretty good. She seemed to know what she was doing.

But we live in the worst timeline. The setup for all that stuff was cool, people were into that, but then the one person who knew how to work the lore machine left and the other writers tried to finish what she started without actually understanding how any of it worked. They know that people apparently like 'lore', but they don't want to deal with the consequences of having actual stories. So we got a taste of what AT could be, liked it, and then the show lost the recipe and served us shit for seasons at a time.