Will we see true Lovecraftian Kino in our lifetime?

will we see true Lovecraftian Kino in our lifetime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c
therobotsvoice.com/2015/01/7_reasons_we_dont_need_guillermo_del_toro_at_the_mountains_of_madness_lovecraft.php
youtu.be/glP-gH_n3Yc?t=1m26s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Return managed to succeed in that regard, I think. But if you are talking about a -direct- adaptation of Lovecraft's work, then no. No we will not.

Fantasia

BAAAAM
>Trailer starts
>Cthulhu walking twards a city
BAAAM
>THIS SUMMER
BAAAM
>Cthulhu destroying buildings with people fleeing
BAAAM
>You will go insane
BAAM
>Music by Hans Zimmer starts playing
>Millitary man is going insane
>IT'S TERIIBLE AAAAH
>Tanks failing to shoot him down
BAAAM
Cthulhu: The awakening

youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c

Fucking this. Chernabog is one of the few depictions I've seen of an unfathomable cosmic horror done -right-. I'm honestly shocked at how he hasn't appeared more in recent times.

we're not supposed to know exactly what cthulhu looks like, read the book

Best Lovecraft story

Never, Lovecraft is too white, but it seems there's a nice vidya incoming though...

if anyone's gonna do it it's this guy

is this picture supposed to make me painfully want to see what's in the creature's crotch or do I have brain issues?..

user, HP Lovecraft described Cthulhu in detail. He even drew a crummy picture when somebody asked.

Read a book yourself.

>The crotch gazes also

Where is Cthulhus penis?

oh yeah I can't wait Lovecraft to have feminism and evil white males

I'm gonna leave this here:
therobotsvoice.com/2015/01/7_reasons_we_dont_need_guillermo_del_toro_at_the_mountains_of_madness_lovecraft.php

Why does everyone assume Cthulhu would destroy anything physically? He's just a semi-corporeal blob with telepathic powers.

Try reading it.

I did, dozens of times. What's your point?

>I'm gonna leave this here:
leave it wherever you want I don't want it.

Nigger

his visuals can be striking but he has the storytelling instincts of a fifth grader. his only good movie is blade 2 and that's because he had little creative control

Isn't that just a crude sculpture made by worshippers?

damn Cthulhu looks like THAT?

>fart noise

I fucking love these. How are they called?

Yep. The real thing is only vaguely described in the story (although one would think the descriptions of the tablet engraving and the statuette would apply to it). Also, there's this:
>“The Thing cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order."

> loves the monsters more than the people in his movies

nah

Lovecraft-fans get touchy when you point out Cthulhu couldn't even prevent a boat from escaping, and was in fact liquified T-1000 style when it rammed him. What a pussy.

How is it a bad thing ?

I've always seen that scene as someone waking up early, stepping on a lego piece and going back to bed.

> scary uncomprehensible cosmic beings
> del toro

Del Toro is the Walt Disney of monsters these days.

kek, Cthulhu is an extremely relateable cosmic entity

I honestly don't know why cthulhu precisely became the center of the whole show. Lovecraft himself referred once to his cycle of stories as "yog-sothotery" (albeit in a tongue-in-cheek manner, since he really never set out to create a proper mythology.)

Then again, cthulhu is easy to grasp. A huge alien creature that resembles a dragon, man, and octopus. But what do you make of azathoth, who is pretty much the primordial chaos towards which universal entropy is leading us back to? Or yog-sothoth, who is some kind of mystical bridge between creation and nothingness?

lol no

>what is The Thing
>what is Dagon
>what is In the Mouth of Madness
>what is The Evil Dead
>what is The Void

>what is The Evil Dead
This. Evil Dead is pure cosmic horror, and the comics which have far more free reign, gleefully express this.

>*WARNER BROS.*
>*LIONS GATE*
>Shot of atlantis, on its walls; Egyptian Hyeroglyphics that show Cthulu
>INNSMOUTH HOTEL, there are thugs who are conceald in very heavy clothing
>Large, hooded thug pulls down his hood to reveal that he is a giant CGI shark man with reptile eyes
>Military troops are shooting cgi starfish monsters on the coastline, cops and swat are trying to take out fish people, stronk womyn is beating up green-frog-like-hybrids
>That weird slomo bwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- and an underwater explosion sound as a tomb is being destroyed
>Submarine is approaching a huge crevace made in the tomb, as tentacles comes out to that psudeo slo-mo st-st-st-st-studder stop, grabbing the sub.
>all leads previously shown in the movie is now stopping whatever their doing as looking at the camera,
>Ear shattering fart noise as Cthulu rises out of the water
>Donald Trump is ebil, him and his frog minions have the NecroCon (shortened for ease of digestion), trying to ctrulu cthulu
>Cthulu roars into the camera for a full 10 seconds, glass shattering and all
>Drumpf hair
>As Cthulu is about to smash the camera
>SUMMER 2018 SEE IN IMAX 3D

socially awkward penguins

Lovecraftian is not about tentacles, but general atmoshpere.

Aquaman could be.

The movie never mentions the Pale Man identifies as a man, good job assuming his gender just because of his name, Guillermo.

> youtu.be/glP-gH_n3Yc?t=1m26s
> "my video game is better at telling a story than the actual author that created it"

Why are gamers such pseudo plebs?

>I honestly don't know why cthulhu precisely became the center of the whole show
You can thank August Derleth for that. He brought Lovecraft's work to a wider audience, but also propagated many misconceptions that still prevail today and distorted Lovecraft's "Yog-Sothothery" into a shallower facsimile he named "Cthulhu Mythos".

Good post and numerals

redditposting

Trailer 2
>Slow panning shot of major city
screen fades to black
>Tom Cruise sitting in a loft apartment, wood furniture everywhere, desk stacked with leather books
quick cut as door knocks
>John Malkovich stands in the doorway trench coat, fedora.
>"what can you tell me about this"
>pulls out Cthulhu statue
BRAHHHHMMMM
gentle violins start
BRRRAAAUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM
>Violins play faster as shuttering imagines of tribal dances, dindus dancing near naked with white women. quick pan of stormy ocean, looming shot of giant gateway.
Screen goes blank
>shot of Cthulhu opening red eyes
Black
>shot of shadowy figure standing over stormy mountains
BRAHHHHAAAMMMM
>Giant foot steps on city bus
>Tom Cruise is running
BRUUUUUMMM
>suddenly he's with blond female and helpless 6 - 11 year old you know he's going to be stuck with saving the whole movie, probably x wife
>Cruise desperately reaching for kid about to fall from broken sky scraper as
music gets more intense screen starts shuttering as music climaxes
>Solider clawing at his tacticool gas mask as blood leaks from his eyes
>Apache Helicopters getting swatted by tenticals
Black
music stops
>Monster roar
>Cut back to Cruise looking at the statue
>"where did you find this?"
back tracking dolly shot of statue on desk as giant leg walks past window.
DIRECTED BY J J ABRAHMS

Memes aside, this could be kino.

best part of fantasia

Would DBZ: Wrath of the Dragon count? They delayed having the monster be in its full form to show the legs alone were enough of a threat.

it really can't. but it's unironically the most likely scenario were a big budget blockbuster cthulhu movie to ever be made

Le bump