Are all US soldiers this thick?

Why didn't they just tie the three dudes up, they did the option that would 99.9% guarantee their failure.

Jumping down cliffs montages were great comedy though

Because the true story the movie is based on was largely falsified for book sales.

>Dan Bilzerian contributes $1m of his daddy's money towards the film
>asks for 8 minutes of screentime in return
>cucked out of, to a mere handful of scenes
Is there a bigger loser than Dan Bilzerian?

I only remember him being in one scene. Where he's sat at a table i think,lel.

When will manlets learn

I always feel weird about this scene. I know someone that knows Bilzerian in real life, and claims that it's all an image he puts on and that he isn't anything like that.

But then you think of stuff like this, and it makes him look like he is still bent out of shape for getting dropped from BUD/S.

I think in real life they would have just done what you said.

They went over that option I think. They said they could freeze to death or something like wolves might find them and kill them. The best option was to tie them and march them back. Release when they reached a safe distance.

Yeah they definitely went over the option but they were hung up on murdering the bad guys or being ethical in the face of the media. They completely ignored the best option and only debated murder or suicide. Really bad decision for elite forces.

And the goats. Why would you not wake everyone up immediately and move when goats with bells on literally amble up a hill on you.

I don't know why they didn't take them prisoner and march out with them. Release them only once the evac bird had landed.
I agree it doesn't pass the smell test at all. Probably propaganda. Something or someone fucked up and they were compromised.
This is all assuming we're above plugging a fucking farmer and his son. We drop bombs on people, don't tell me were above civilian casualties. The greater good.

Turned the movie off when Ben foster died, he was carrying it. What happened?

One of the reasons they didn't take them wirh them is because they don't want Afghans to see how they move and communicate in the field. If that information gets passed on to the Taliban it's a threat to all US troops operating in the area. If they tagged along seals for a few hours they would see shit they aren't supposed to see.

Why not just shoot the people not like it fucking matters people have been and will be killed in Afghanistan for ever

So blindfold them. Blackbag them.

There are two books written on the subject (the movie is basically a Rambo fantasy not realted to the real life story or the books) of note. One was written by Luttrell, the only survivor of the mission.

The other was written by a journalist connected to the U.S. Marines, and is the book the Navy recommends on the incident.

There are A LOT of inconsistencies between Luttrells accounts and known facts. There were A LOT of problems with the SEAL's that were completely ignored in the Luttrell book and the movie (with many things most likely being invented to address these issues).

The main two for instance relate to the Goat Herder incident and the subsequent firefight - the attackers said the villagers had been alerted by hovering chopper sounds and went out to investigate. They weren't just randomly walking a goat in the mountains. This means they didn't get stuck in a moral quandry that led to them making the "good" choice that cost them their lives. It means the special operations guys fucked up and got their people killed. This is also what the Marines believed, because they had a different method for these missions. Special Operations command dismissed these criticisms as simple jealousy over losing their missions.

The second big problem was the numbers - There is absolutely zero evidence to back up Luttrells ever expanding number of attackers. The video evidence shows about 5-8 guys, the group fighting were a basically unknown, minor criminal group with a dozen or so members and some hanger on's.

>This is also what the Marines believed, because they had a different method for these missions
Like what? Drive in, storm the village, and grab the guy? They are conventional forces. That's about all they are capable of.

So a minor criminal organization happens to get lucky and pop an RPG into a heli full of SEALS?

I mean sure shit like that can happen but with so few dudes you'd think they'd be laying down suppressive fire while landing. Those heli's have MG's literally for that. That seems like a one in a million shot in a forest.

Maybe they had morals,

I don't know

Will Lutrellets ever learn?

Not far off.

1. They used a force about double the size of the SEALs for recon. They marched in from MUCH further with much more equipment (including working radios - somethign SEAL's didn't bother with - despite being repeatedly told by the Marines that the radios they were carrying were useless in the region)

2. The SEAL plan was to identify the targets and then do late night raids via helicopter insertion and marching in from a closer distance for the snatch and grabs before calling in Marines to come in and pick them all up.

3. The Marine recon guys would identify their targets, and then a larger ground force would go in during the early mornings for snatch and grabs.

Yes. That part isn't even disputed. That's both the official narrative and Luttrell's version of events.

>One in a million shot

They were repeatedly told not to insert in that area as it was extremely difficult terrain and was leaving them wide open to RPG attacks, which had been effective in the past by small groups of fighters.

The SEAL response was a disastrous mess because;

1. They didn't prepare or have a plan for the situation, and couldn't find choppers

2. They panicked when they did get one and forced it into a dangerous sitaution because of the how late they were

There's a bunch of other inconsistencies;

1. No one had ever seen a force of more than about a dozen guys in the region

2. The video evidence shows no dead Afghan/Pakistani fighters

3. There were no dead Afghan/Pakistani fighters at the scene of the battle

4. Locals said a force of about 8 Afghan fighters went up into the mountains with the herders.

5. Locals said the herders were sent to interact with the SEAL's by the fighters who sat back and observed

6. When Luttrell was found, he had his full combat loadout - 11 full magazines.

Supposedly it wasn't an RPG at all, but an anti aircraft missile. Rumor has it that DEVGRU turned down the mission for that very reason. It was confirmed earlier in the war that AA guns were in place, but no AA missiles were found (that anyone knows of).

This is the more interesting and suspicious part of the operation, and nobody ever mentions it.

Also, Luttrell's official after action report lists a force of about 20 attackers.

Which is still large for the region, especially for an extremely minor insurgent leader.