Japan does psychological drama: a self-contained beautifully animates story told over 11 episodes with no wasted time...

Japan does psychological drama: a self-contained beautifully animates story told over 11 episodes with no wasted time. Explores themes of existential angst, inner-tumoil, companionship & growing up and seamlessly and subtly embeds them in a gripping narrative. Created by experts with a masterful understanding of animation as an artform and how to use composition to compliment and highlight the psychological & narrative aspects of the show.

America does a psychological drama: meanders, stalls and fills time with droll puns, wacky side-plots, totally unrealistic characterizations, hamfisted social commentary and tops it off with melodramatic monologues where the characters tell you exactly how to feel and the creators always leaves enough room open at the end for another 12 episodes to be tacked on to further kick the can of resolution down the road. Created by amateurs who don't understand animation as an artform, whose typical composition is lazy 3/4 angle shot after shot for an entire episode, with one added 'interesting' animated sequence in every season that confirms their general attitude towards the show that 'quality' elements have to be deliberately & self-consciously shoved in as opposed to being a natural part of their showmaking philosophy.

So, you're speaking about what Japanese show?

I'm guessing when a character is speaking, we see the back of his head.

I don't watch either stop watching cartoons redditor

Ping Pong - The Animation. Not him by the way.

One is a comedy drama.

ping pong

also it's funny that you chose the pic on the left rather than a screenshot from the show. I think you realize that if you had taken something from the show, everyone would see how fucking ugly it is.

But that's par for the course for weebs.

oh god it's the guy who did the "Food Chain" episode of Adventure Time

that episode sucked shit

Nice old subjective word salad of feely-wheelies. Very "expressive" and "passionate".

Most of the episodes sucked

Yuasa is pretty much the only good anime series director. Ping Pong is from 2014. 3 years and not a single good show, which is really fucking pathetic because Japan produces like 120 anime shows per year.

>ugly

this looks better than those squiggly noodle arms animation that the west is so fond of nowadays

and its hand drawn

Everyone knows that bojack horseman is garbage, you don't need to go the extra mile.

It's still less ugly than Bojack or literally any other western cartoon

everything but Jesse Moynihan, Tom Herpich, and Somvilay/Seo sucked.

The generic Rick and Morty/Bojack/McFarlane style is why I don't watch cartoons.

Ping Pong is the pinnacle of Nip animated shows
Over the Garden Wall is the pinnacle of US animated shows

Both are 10/10

Over The Garden Wall was horseshit

a total waste of amazing animation talent. tried too hard to be award-winning "timeless" "classy" programming.

it was clunky and cliche. played completely against the irreverent, exuberant, inventive strengths of the people involved.

it was the cartoon equivalent of metallica playing with an orchestra.

>this looks better than anything

yeah it looks just as good or better than anything that's come out in the last decade

It's true, especially the "11 episodes" part and the contrived way for American media to shove emotional exposition down your throat with monologues and whatever. The people who watch Bojak are easily impressed consumers - art doesn't factor into it in the slightest for them, they just need something passable to watch.

>weebs

It's animated very well. The style is just abnormal.

better than this shit right here

it also takes more effort

squiggly arms is just lazy, lazy, lazy animation

>consumers of western media

Still better than generic western garbage.

>comparing serious project of whatever on left is I assume and the wacky comedy about a talking show
Whew.
sage

horse*

>All western media is bad
>Unironically being a fucking weeb
Kill yourself

Ping Pong: all original score by veteran composers and an artist's understanding of when and how music can be used to enhance the viewing experience
Bomeme: uses pop songs and famous artist covers in predictable moments, makes little or no use of music in any other case

I watch plenty of film, too, webm related. Post the last film you've watched, lets see where you stand.

Ping Pong is the exception. Japan is dogshit at this too.

>Created by experts with a masterful understanding of animation as an artform
>rotoscoping

>psychological drama
More like coming of age teenager drama. Classic anime.

You do realize over 70% of dialogue in animes is inner thoughts and monologues because it doesn't require animating the mouth to match up.

Do you even understand how hypocritical it is?

It all seriousness Ping Pong is in a different league from Bojack.

One is a soap opera by a saturday night live reject the other is a passion project by two of the greatest auteurs in their field.

Ching Chong?

lol

What a nob

How can you even defend western cartoons in 2017? There are only 10 american cartoons airing right now and they've all been airing since 2013. They also all use 3/4 perspective because americans haven't figured out how to draw anything more complex than a comic book strip. Meanwhile anime comes out with 20 new shows every season and has more and more shows coming out with every year. Even the most bland SoL moeshit has more effort put into it than Reddit and Memey.

Current mental state of Sup Forums right there

The Ping Pong animation style was jarring for me at first, but it fits the show very well. In a strange way, the 'ugliness' adds a lot.

Because japanese creators are genuinely depressed, like working in a cubicle 12 hours a day doing night shift and sleeping 4 hours depressed, while Americans/Westerners into the movie/entertainment industry work maybe 6 hours a day between their latte-breaks and twitter rants.
Same reason Slavs are so good at art, they have internalized depression from 600 years of slavery and Communist repression.

You don't know me, but I want you to know you're my nigga.

I was in tear's laughing at this shit, it's not even funny, you just seem so angry and disappointed.