Red Dwarf

So i'm thinking of watching Red Dwarf, but from what i've read it's all over the place. should i start with s01e01 and watch it all or are there certain episodes/seasons i should watch/avoid? any tips are great.

>rewarf

yea start with first episode. there is backstory and stuff that jokes tie too

watch from the start. 1st season though is a little rough but it sets up the characters really well.

avoid.
stick to orville and std

Season 1-6 then skip to the reboot

i've heard the first few seasons were cheaply made, but i liked Lexx, so i don't have a problem with weird hinky stuff.
just looking for more sci-fi to watch, working on the expanse too.

Start at the beginning. Season 1 is already good and it sets the scene really well.
Been a while since I saw a Red Dwarf thread. It's an interesting show, often brilliant but unfortunately the audience laughter is fucking annoying and there are endless scenes where the characters just insult each other in some hybrid of made-up slang and British, and it's not that funny.

This. Also avoid Back To Earth

By the way, the book "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers", by the show's writers, is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life. It pretty much follows the story of the show's beginning, but fleshes it out more and provides some backstory from before the "incident".

>skip to the reboot
>avoid Back To Earth

only watch these if you really love the show. the episodes aren't terrible but they're just meh.

british humor is hit or miss for a lot, but i'll probably enjoy it, it seems like a sci-fi "friends" in a weird way.

>Rob Grant and Doug Naylor
these guys need to squash whatever beef they have and work together again for a series finale.

Start at the start, hits its stride sometime around season 3, avoid all the modern revival seasons.

The latest season was fantastic though? Not S3/S4 good but admirably close

Series 9 was such a disaster that the show went on hiatus for over a decade and series 10 never follows up on the cliffhanger or explains what happened to all the new characters. Which is actually a good thing.

All the seasons before that are good though. It peaks around series 5/6.

oh I liked them too, but I think you'll enjoy them more if you actually care about the show already.

I think I'm the only one that liked the last original series when they were in jail. also kochanski was fine as fuck.

i mean, i started watching Dr. Who with Eccleston and enjoyed it until recently. the brits seem to bring things back in an ok way, but i guess i'll start with s1 and go from there.

Seasons 1 and 2 are pure kino, the tone is different than the rest but it's still all good.

Whenever a season after season 2 changes, just think of it as a different timeline or dimension.

Avoid Back to Earth, it's no point to watch that.

And enjoy the smegging ride! It's truly an amazing show and even the new episodes (bar back to earth) are a good watch!

>start with s01e01 and watch it all

My mistake, it's Series 8 that was the disaster. Series 9 was Back to Earth miniseries.

The new seasons have their moments but they aren't as consistent as the earlier ones. Still enjoyable though.

You're either Ted Bundy or you spent the whole time on your phone - its objectively dire programming, and as user above said, killed the show

cmon, The air duct episode was hilarious.

though I was a teenager when I watched the show. I wonder how I would find it now.

If you'd said the Cassandra episode I might have agreed. Might.

I watched the whole show without really liking it, but the jail season was one of the better seasons.

Series 1-6 are tv gold, Watch everything, ideally in order

I can't overstate this enough; Red Dwarf is up their with Black Adder and Father Ted in terms of, what, unusual Anglo situational comedy?

I'd personally argue that series 5 was the high-point

Series 7 & 8 are bad, back to Earth was bad
Series 10 made me chuckle on occasion

Really you should probably stop after 6 and try to move on with your life. Rob Grant apparently managed it

>Cassandra
she was so creepy. loved that episode too.

11 was decent.

But I agree 5 was the pinnacle.

Youre wierd dude, gotta be a yank

Ausfag.

The first two seasons are my favorite for some reason. The jokes really get me and the sets are all really comfy. 3-6 are really good though, no denying.

>prison colony scum
>likes the jail season

Everything from the beginning to series 6 inclusive is pretty great.
Rob Grant left the show after series 6 and it just wasn't the same. They did a series that was not filmed in front of an audience and it suffered for it.
Series 3, 4 and 5 are the absolute golden age.

Kochanski a qt

still a shit character though

Never got the hate personally.

she couldn't act for shit