People on Sup Forums think this is a smart movie

>people on Sup Forums think this is a smart movie

JUST

I wathed it recently and find myself hating the premise

First, we are time limited not becasue of our brain. When I was in college I discussed the ways a language forms our minds and how a second language can change our perception, and I find that a very interesting subject, but seeing the future? That's plain stupid, but I get it, it's a movie. I guess it's better than OMG the alien are blowing the white house

I watched this last night and it's a film with great colour, great acting and the pacing only falls apart a little toward the end. Picking apart factual discrepancies in a film like this (when the actual science isn't presented, only the effects of said science) is ridiculous. This is a good film and being a contrarian about that fact doesn't mean you have elevated taste, it just means you're a contrarian.

It's a decent Twilight Zone episode not a feature.

Name 10 "smarter" science fiction movies from the last decade.

I thought it was pretty good. The alien species was extremely interesting as someone that likes cephalopods and languages.

why do you think it's not?

Is the movie kinocraftianesqu?

>alien species travels across the galaxy just to tell Amy Adams her daughter will have cancer

Why?

The aliens are very lovecraftian, me likey that :)

best lovecraftian kino of the century

You mean 'pretentious'

It's smartly made. It shows restraint in all the right places, scenes and quotes start clicking in a way that the reveal doesn't come off as a dumb TWEEST, and even though some of the camera work can be a bit too into itself, it's still good.

Don't try to follow the movie's fantastical alien magic to its logical end though because it doesn't make any sense.

Did you even watch the film?
The point was that they were helping humanity as a whole through Amy Adams because they knew she would eventually be able to understand their language and teach other humans so that they too could see the future.
They did that because they also knew that in a few thousand years they would need humanity's help for something so they wanted to make allies with them.

>speaking chinese through a cell phone that's also a time machine

shit movie

it was a lame story and if they can see the future they should already know how to fix whatever problem they had, or saw the bomb coming from alex Jones soldier

pick a random 10 sci fi movie from the last decade
have you forgot the scene when amy meets with forest for the first time? It was so ridicolously stupid i couldn't believe myself.

It's a good movie, doesn’t necessarily have to be "smart" or "deep"

I liked it because it wasn't the oh no aliens are trying to take over the world

but they did
>literally changed the entire worlds language to theirs

>entire movie is a grounded sci-fi about communicating with an alien culture

>last ten minutes they beam her up to mother ship and use magic mist to give her time travel powers to learn the language in the future.

Arrival is trash

>grounded sci-fi

WAAAT

>went in expecting a alien invasion movie
>get some power of love bullshit

Story of your life isn't even the best part of the book, 72 letters and tower of babylon are better

The only good part of Story of your life is when they explain the key difference between the octapod and human language through the different ways of viewing refraction of light

It's a fine movie, I don't think its was meant to be smart or high brow or whatever