Is Rust a good character?

Is Rust a good character?

he's a good character but he wasn't the main character

marty was

He was intentionally portrayed as a nihilistic edgelord that (mostly) spouted bullshit. A lot of people still don't seem to get this. The only reason the character works is Marty. A lot of what Rust said was just to piss him off. Without the foil of Marty as salt of the earth, funny partner, we'd just be mired in joyless, nonsensical ramblings. See season 2.

good as in well written or morally wise?

1) he's used too much as a vehicle for the writer to express certain views

2) bit of a mary sue (poor marty doesn't get a single thing right until the last episodes)

Morally written. Is he a good role model or example of degeneration propaganda?

He had no depth to him outside of spouting some nihilistic crap that fooled you into thinking he was a "deep character".

In fact, outside of Marty, all the characters in Season 1 came across a one dimensional.

He's basically an author insert from a guy (Pizzolatto) who knows he can be an insufferable edgelord. It's a self aware take. And yes, he's a good character.

hardly. he's coming from a place of significant trauma. his character didn't spring from nothing.

He's neither, just a guy in pain with severe depression who got obsessed by an odd case and is capable of a lot of things, good and bad.

That nihilistic crap was his way of coping with the death of his daughter and his divorce. He had also been a detective for a while and saw some shit. He also mentions his dad and when he lived with him in Alaska. The line "he had some strange ideas" purports that his dad obviously had a huge influence on rusts thinking and general demeanor. Hes a pretty in-depth character really

Marty made Rust a good character and vice versa. Their chemistry was on par with Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs from miami vice. The reason season 2 sucked ass was because the main characters just didn't fit together and instead of focusing well on two characters, it tried to focus on way too many characters. Marty and Rust had actual depth and likeability to them. The main characters on season 2 were forgettable as hell. I can't even remember any of their names despite seeing season 2 more recently.

>muh marty
He was a fucking retard and a degenerate piece of shit.

Some throw away lines about muh daughter and muh father doesn't change the fact that he was pretty much one dimensional.

If they wanted us to give him more depth, maybe they should have shown a scene or two with his daughter while she was still alive.

IM JUST COMING TO FUCK YOUR WIFE RUSTY

Literally me

Only assholes dislike Marty. He was self-righteous hypocrite at times but that didn't make him a bad character.

>If they wanted us to give him more depth, maybe they should have shown a scene or two with his daughter while she was still alive.

Bad idea. Spoon-feeding like that would've been tacky as hell and it was good that Rust's backstory was kept to a minimum.

Velcoro and Frank from season 2 were better.

contrarian: the post

>arguing with trips
Who's the contrarian now buttbuddy?

Nah. Marty was much more complex and understated. Rust feels like he was written by some high school edge-lord who hates the world and religion just because.

He has zero development outside of his stupid "experience" at the end which makes him somehow all of a sudden have faith in the afterlife? I guess?

I literally only remember Velcoro (because it sounds like velcro) and, of course, Caspere (because of the memes)

I remember the names as
Velcro, Annie, Gay Cop, Vince Vaughn, Caspere, The wife of vince vaughn.

No.

>What do you think the average IQ of these people is?
>Can you see Texas from up on your high horse?
Also dead on about season 2.

Caspere knew this.

Its been years and you still can't follow a basic character arc, come on anons