Can it stand on its own, or do I need to watch the whole series beforehand?

Can it stand on its own, or do I need to watch the whole series beforehand?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/megalinks/comments/5xl2a1/twin_peaks_fire_walk_with_me_q2_fan_edit_1992/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You need to watch the series first. You wouldn't know what's going on or who the characters are.

I watched all the Twin Peaks there is to watch, and I still don't know who The Muffin is.

It works fine as a stand alone film.

this film is fucking perfection

watching the entirety of season 2 is worth it just for this movie

No, watch the movie.

Watch the first two seasons, then watch the film, then watch season 3.

>You need to watch the series first. You wouldn't know what's going

>implying anyone knows what's going on after watching every single Twin Peaks episode ever aired.

Anyone got a link to the fan edit?

Also no, you dongle

Well, for example Rivette, french critic and director, loved it although he has not seen the series. But if you want to have KIND OF clue what's going on, you should watch the series first. Also it shows who's the killer in the series.

reddit.com/r/megalinks/comments/5xl2a1/twin_peaks_fire_walk_with_me_q2_fan_edit_1992/

Yo it's hella dope if you watch the tv series first, not so much if ya dont

NO DONNA, I AM THE MUFFIN!

It's a weird film. It doesn't really have a structure. 80% of the scenes could be randomly rearranged and the movie wouldn't suffer. Amazing film though.

> Gets a criterion release
> Still has that hideous cover
reee

Rivette also has Alzheimer's

It doesnt work as a standalone movie at all. The teresa banks opening isnt explained and there are massive gaps in laura's actions that arent explained because they would be rehashing tv stuff.

had :(

You can enjoy it for Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise's amazing performances and for great David Lynch horror.
But if you want to actually have the beginnings of a clue as to what the fuck is going on you basically need to watch the whole show.
It's like trying to watch End Of Evangelion without watching NGE. I mean yeah it's a great movie and arguably even better than what it's based on but you wouldn't watch it without having seen the show first

If you just want a watch a Lynch film and don't really give a shit about the series then sure. It works pretty well as a standalone movie about the effects of abuse on a young woman. You'll probably get the most out of it if you watch first two seasons of the show first though.

Watching FWWM without watching the series is missing the point pretty hard.

One, it's not exactly recommended that you watch the prequel movie of a mystery series... that spoils one of the central mysteries.

Secondly, a lot of scenes in the movie feel random, disjointed, or pointless unless you know their relevance to what's happening in the TV show (such as the scene with Harold - I can imagine a first-timer saying "Uh, who is this guy, and why is he important?"). I think people who say "Naw man it's cool watch it standalone" are trying to up their hipster cred. "No man, Lynch's work doesn't, like, NEED context, man!" Which is patently not the case, especially since this is a continuation of said show.

If you haven't watched Twin Peaks, you should. The 90s series is really some of the best TV you can watch. The movie's enjoyment is amplified by your knowledge of the TV characters - but the show itself is one of the most enriching things I have watched on TV in my life. I can't say enough good things about it, even when it has its dip in quality in its second season.

The supernatural shit is explained exclusively in the show. Half the character motivations take for granted you watching the show first.

>explained
heh

This. Especially with the second point. There's already a good amount of "random" shit in the FWWM that is mostly meaningless beyond serving as symbolic imagery. You won't be able to tell that from the confusing stuff you're missing from not watching the show, and it'll likely all blur together and irritate you.

It's kind of like watching the last 30 minutes of Mulholland Dr. and thinking that that's good enough to skip the previous one-and-a-half hour buildup.

>"Do I need to watch the first two acts of Mulholland Dr., or can I skip to after the blue box scene as a standalone flick?"
>"Well you'll miss some much-appreciated context, but you'll get a great performance from Naomi Watts and a powerful metaphor for the crushing cynicism of Hollywood's dream factory!"
-a conversation no one has ever had

Not trying to sound like a dick OP but why would you want to watch a movie based on a series without that prior knowledge? I've never seen Veronica Mars and I'd never watch the movie first for instance.

It's a shame the movie has such a high barrier to entry because god damn did those two deserve Oscars

horrible movie... the missing pieces addition makes it a good movie... lynch fucked that edit

this scene more than any other in the entire saga is the one that leaves me most at unease

You could technically watch as a standalone film but a lot of the details that it lingers on would feel meaningless without the context of the show. You'd also be cheating yourself out of watching a really unique and engaging show because FWWM spoils a major plot point that happens in the middle of season 2

It's not so much that you won't know what is going on - well let's face it, because the film draws so much from the show's lore you really won't - but it's more that you just won't care about any of it.

The reason it doesn't work as a standalone film is because of how much build-up and time is put into the transformation of Laura Palmer. It delves into all of Laura’s secrets in a way that puts her on center stage like the show obviously never could, and the way all of this is done relies upon our knowledge of the show for us to even care.

Everyone who says so otherwise has already seen the show and is watching the movie through the eyes of someone who knows what is kind of going on. I think the reason why some normies love to claim now that it works fine as a standalone film is because of its dramatically different tone, especially in comparison to large parts of Season 2.

This more than anything. Even though we never see her alive in the show, it does a good job of subtly making you care about Laura in a lot of ways. Without it's possible to enjoy the movie as a psychological horror, but more likely you'll probably just think Laura Palmer was a dumb roastie who was responsible for her fate when there's a lot more at work than that