Why did Conan never blow up like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings did?

Why did Conan never blow up like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings did?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs
youtube.com/watch?v=BHfE682mm3c
youtube.com/watch?v=onGWF8mz1Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=b1ot0oCZHn4
youtube.com/watch?v=gIuuPTM3nSc
movieweb.com/legend-of-conan-movie-script-rewrite/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

millennials weren't born yet/too young

Wow, thanks for reminding me the 2011 remake exists. I have vague memories of it being hilarious.

It did? I mean it had a shitload of comics, movies, games, and books. It was just a different time and it died off. I don't give a shit about harry potter anymore either.

>Implying it didnt
Conan is classic and has been in the pop culture zeitgeist for generations. Before Harry Potter existed or anyone other than some teachers and professors cared about LOTR, everyone knew Conan.

Because they never did any world-building. They just focused on Conan (first movie) and his wacky hijinks (second movie).

They also threw in a bunch of retarded sidekicks.

>I have vague memories of it being hilarious.
It's really meh more than anything
It is notable for trying to stick closer to the books than the original did
But it winds up being generic grim fantasy anyway

it wasn't bad and momoa was 10/10 casting, but yeah, kinda forgettable.

Most likely the push of family friendliness.

Harry Potter is basically about kids and magic. The badguys mostly move around being spooky behind the scenes for most of the films. Even when they're on screen and a threat they're mostly just waiving wands around and having anime energy beam tests of will. There isn't an abundance of sexuality either.

Lord of the Rings is a bit more violent, but the villains are monstrous to where the violence is let by because the bad guys look bad. Also the majority of the violence is hidden in closeups of the goodguys and in huge furballs of armies. There is also no overt sexuality.

Conan is mostly about human beings violently slaughtering each other. The sexuality is obvious and abundant. Not a good fit for the family crowd or studios that want to profiteer.

Its not like they didnt try, Conan had a Saturday morning cartoon, a toy line his and Marvel Comics at the time were kid friendly.

>but the villains are monstrous to where the violence is let by because the bad guys look bad

it kinda did.
it single handedly created a genre
it just didn't get out of the 80s

Its true though. Have movie with a one person stabbing another and it gets a hard R rating. Have a movie with an "orc" getting stabbed and it gets PG-13.

I think he's just trying to figure what you're actually saying.

Because muh patriarchy

it would have scared me too much senpai

>>gay men only 10% of the population

gee i donut

i liked the cartoon, the phoenix was fun and the serpent enemies kind of influenced the manga Berserk so we got something great from it

also some kind of interdimensional Set snake big-bad-god that was pretty cool as a kid, but i am not sure if it's this pic or not

>kino of high adventure was replaced by GoT
i hate millenials

>tfw no more 90s spider or bee attack movies
why live

requesting the chad lotr and virgin hobbit movie meme pls.

> Why did Conan never blow up like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings did?

Robert E. Howard’s “Conan” stories were hugely popular when first published in the 1930s and would be again when reprinted in the 1960s and his influence on the fantasy genre can not be denied, he was second only to JRR Tolkien.

While fun, the 1982 movie wasn’t really a Conan movie, it just used the character’s name and looted Howard’s stories for bits & pieces to make a typical Hollywood flick and as the concept of a “cinematic universe” hadn’t been developed at the time, the later movies were utter shit and Arnold moved on.

I haven’t seen the 2011 Conan movie with Carl Drogo but by all accounts, it’s shit.

i found this cancer instead, sorry for posting it

sorry m8 needs to be the hobbit one, ty though

i'll never forget this damn theme song

>spirited_away.gif

>Carl Drogo

I bet your favorite character from GoT is Khaleesi, huh?

hey, the plot is probably shit, but the fight scenes in the opening look pretty nice for a kids show
youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs

>Khaleesi
>not Salsa Stark

All I can really remember is a skeleton badguy (maybe antihero?) because I had his toy along with the Conan one.

The show was alright for saturday morning cartoons. I did think it wasn't violent enough for Conan though. Even as a kid I was kind of pissed that he didn't kill anyone or anything. I understood why it was watered down like that but it still bothered me after having seen the movies and looking at some of the comics.

look, if i'm gonna stare at ass all day, i'll watch something like xena

patrician's pick.

LET ME TELL YOU OF A TIME OF HIGH ADVENTURE!

It birthed Master of the Universe. The original He-Man toy was an Arnie Conan figure that got re-purposed.

>While fun, the 1982 movie wasn’t really a Conan movie, it just used the character’s name and looted Howard’s stories for bits & pieces to make a typical Hollywood flick

It's almost like you've never watched the movie.

i mean is right in a way, but in the books conan was basically a overpowered mary sue, if you wanted to make a film with a character arc you were forced to change conan

i love that movie though, so little dialogue, fueled just by music, visuals and some spare narration

sequel was shit

Conan has possibly the best original soundtrack of any fantasy movie to date
youtube.com/watch?v=BHfE682mm3c
youtube.com/watch?v=onGWF8mz1Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=b1ot0oCZHn4

He's only correct in that John Milus took bits and pieces from the stories to create his Conan movie, which I believe was the correct choice. He made something original as opposed to retreading a story that Robert Howard already wrote.

The film itself is a masterpiece of visual storytelling, and the Riddle of Steel is hotly debated every single time we have a legit Conan thread. Calling it a "typical Hollywood flick" is so fucking inaccurate, and all it shows is that it continues to be a criminally misunderstood film.

stop reminding me of Rachel Nichols

ah yes, it's definitely not a typical Hollywood flick in any way

conan was a godly movie
everyone involved worked hard for it
the actors learning actual sword fighting, horse riding etc etc.
(arnold even had to lose muscle mass because his arms and chest where too big for him to swing his sword)
the actors even helped each other. james earl jones thought arnold to better control his voice and accent. while arnold thought james how to ride a horse.
the music is god tier and it's a true 10/10 movie

the sequel is average, with a more humor like tone. but still better then the mediocre momoa movie

first time i watched Conan i couldnt stop thinking about how it's such an mmorpg, i related to it hardcore, was so much fun to watch.

Cool, thanks for changing your opinion.

i hated GoT and it's fans before i watched it.

The chick in this show and Ariel from The Little Mermaid were the first tingles in my dingle IIRC.

And while we're on the subject of theme songs:

youtube.com/watch?v=gIuuPTM3nSc

This show was bitchin' too.

I'd argue that Conan is quite typical Hollywood film of it's time. When we look at history of Hollywood the most typical way to split its history is pre-Hollywood cinema, classic age of Hollywood (often split into silent era, golden era, and silver era), New Hollywood, and modern era (can also be called blockbuster era). Conan was made at the dusk of the New Hollywood in early 80's. It is kind of movie Milius and his contemporaries made from late 60's, 70's and 80's. Full of completely unapologetic violence, generally sexist and over all pretty edgy film that didn't bother to cater for every demographic and it gave zero fucks about potentially offending some of potential audience. They could do films like that as budgets weren't even nearly as high as those became when Blockbuster era started to get traction.

Personally I'd add another era to history of Hollywood cinema. Post modern era with pre planned blockbusters, franchises/cinematic universes, political correctness crippling storytelling, massive marketing and death of medium budget movies. They didn't have to gather to the most low brow audiences as much as they do today when New Hollywood was the thing, yet they could solely focus on audiences that like violence and explosions as they didn't have to gather to pretentious wanna be intellectuals as well.

The big thing about New Hollywood is the fact that most prominent filmmakers involved in it were first generation of filmmakers with film school training and they got their laurels as successful filmmakers while very young by modern standards, in their twenties or thirties. Christ, many people that are still considered the best directors in the business got their careers started back then. In the [current year] it much harder for new filmmakers to get their careers rolling as there is barely anything between low budget indie films and massive budget blockbusters.

Conan appeals to less people than Harry Potter, not to mention the whole franchise is mostly Conan slaughtering people and monsters and that's it. Like James Bond, you come for certain formula and you get it, that's all

>the actors even helped each other. james earl jones thought arnold to better control his voice and accent. while arnold thought james how to ride a horse.
Sounds comfy.

It did you jackass do you know how long it's been around and how many times it's been adapted?

Do you know the Riddle of Steel, user?

You fags are just too young to remember the late 80's and early 90's when Conan was everywhere.

>it'll never be 1994 with USA playing its "All Ahnold Sunday extravaganza!" again

The books managed to surprise me with Conan not chopping off the villains all the time. He often faces creatures from other worlds, some nightmares from a hell he knows he cannot physically harm. So he must be creative to survive. Seemed like a Lovecraftian shout out to the authors fellow writer friend.

How do you go from this

To this

Smart vs. Stupid, Uncivilized vs. product of civilization.

>muh thews

It did, it was just later replaced by lotr. There was shitton of barabarian fantasy before. Even Forgotten Realms used to be conan rip-off at the beginning and only later riped off tolkien by adding elves and stuff.

>momoa was 10/10 casting
This is literally only true for his role on Game of Thrones and nothing else.
Memea is a fucking atrocious actor.
>b-b-b--bbut he looks the part!
And who the fuck cares?

She looked perfect with that hair.

I remember how some faggot tried to defend it with "is more faithful to the original conan" as if that was some kind of quality guarantee.

He was pretty good as a Cubano cannibal in the Bad Batch.

He doesn't sparkle in the day light. Plus, in his youth he was pushing that big wheel thingy, so his teen years were no Archie's comic.

I didn't think it was too terrible. It's impossible to live up to the og film.

The Scorpion King feels like a very Conan-like movie that doesn't get much appreciation.
>charismatic muscleman MC
>sword and sorcery setting
>adventure over an exotic setting
>scantily clad female side character who gave me one of my first erections
>general light atmosphere of adventure
>heavy use of violence

It's so strange to think it's a Mummy spin-off about a literal human-scorpion man that's in the movie for five minutes.

I confess that I didn't watch the new conan movie because Mamoa isn't white, and Conan is supposed to be a barbarian from Europe. I loved the one with Arnold though, he was perfect in the role.

And it's not even true either

Arnold wasn't really acting. They built a fake cardboard time machine in the back of a pickup truck and shuttled him to the set.

Why aren't you reading the books by Robert Howard?

> > While fun, the 1982 movie wasn’t really a Conan movie, it just used the character’s name and looted Howard’s stories for bits & pieces to make a typical Hollywood flick
> It's almost like you've never watched the movie.

And clearly you're never read the books.

I saw the movie in the theater in 1982 when it was released and was profoundly disappointed and only grew to like the movie (though not as a Conan movie) years later when it was shown on cable tv.

> in the books conan was basically a overpowered mary sue

Nonsense, being the hero of the stories doesn’t make him a Mary Sue.

Yes, because having Conan walk in circles for years pushing a wheel to become the physical epitome of a man, is some top notch writing…

>watch Conan as an adult and not a stupid kid
>turns out it was complete shit

Dude fuckin for real? Don't you talk shit about that first Conan movie. I love it as well as the books.

This is the next game of thrones, cannot what for the Cthulhu dude.

>it's not nostalgia, it's 'criminally misunderstood'

Calling it a typical Hollywood flick is still retarded even if they changed his origin story.
In the books Conans stories are all somewhat disjointed and standing on their own reflecting their publishing in pulb magazines.
The film in its own does away with that and creates a incredible narrative with the riddle of steel and flesh and all that.
Its not a perfect adaption of one of the stories, but it works a lot better that way.

This - The new movie was a lot of outfit changes and it looks good. They removed anything a SJW would not like and not family friendly and it was a hot mess. The old movies hinted at people eating each other and my MOM freaked out and would not have then in the house.

just downloaded the conan books. are the kull or solomon kane books any good?

Sorry man but the movie really doesn't hold up if you didn't watch it as a child. Arnold is an awful actor.

>Conan is mostly about human beings violently slaughtering each other. The sexuality is obvious and abundant. Not a good fit for the family crowd or studios that want to profiteer.

What is Game of Thrones

not the other guy you're talking to.

fuck you bitch. conan the barbarian is one of the greatest adventure movies of all time.

>>momoa was 10/10 casting
>This is literally only true for his role on Game of Thrones and nothing else.

I think he looks great as Conan, very much like the Frank Frazetta covers of the paperbacks I read as a kid.

I think Hollywood really dropped the ball with this Conan flick, as they had a perfect actor for the role and could have done a fantastic multi-season tv series that adhered closely to the books but instead, went for the typical shitflick cash grab.

I haven't seen the movie as I mentioned, though I'll be watching it tonight (how disappointed will I be?).

what about Beastmaster?

I watched it for the first time as an adult and loved it, you're just a contrarian faggot.

I do like the movie (now) but it's clearly a typical Hollywood flick; the baddy who killed muh parents, the loyal best bro, the love interest, the wise old magician, etc.

It can't be denied that Howard's stories were simply looted for the title character and a few story elements, which is SOP for Hollywood.

(Also, you're quoting two different dudes)

This, the world felt empty and uninteresting outside of the main story

Too lovecraftian

This. 100 percent this.

They need to make King Conan before Arnold dies!
A big gray beard, a nice winter armor, and he passes.

Is this just trolling or do these people lack any imagination at all???

wasn't arnold working on a King Conan movie?
or did that get canned again?

>And who the fuck cares? [That he looks the part]

Schwarznegger also only looked the part and had some of his trademarked charm, when putting both Conan actors side to side without taking their careers into consideration I can't really say one is better than the other, but Momoa certainly seemed quite fitting, it's a pity that pretty much everything else on the film was such a mess, it kind of reminded me of John Carter when I finally got around watching it.

BECAUSE THE SJWS FEMINISTS HUGBOX STRAIGHT WHITE MALE HATERZ WAAAAAAAH

i havnt even looked at the thread and i knlw these are the replies

movieweb.com/legend-of-conan-movie-script-rewrite/

>Seemed like a Lovecraftian shout out to the authors fellow writer friend.

I thought that it was well know that there are shout outs to Lovecraft.

I think it is shame that Legend of Conan got cancelled a while ago. Not exactly first time Conan movie with older Arnold as King Conan died while in production hell.

>or did that get canned again?
Yep. Late spring. It would be potentially too expensive for movie with star that is too old to set up """"cinematic universe"""" around. That kinda indicates how Hollywood has gone bad.

Are you fucking serious?!

The movie doesn’t give a single shit about the setting or back-story, it’s just kewl! characters in kewl! locations without any context;

Why the fuck is Thulsa Doom (who is not a Conan villain by the way) riding way up north to get a sword, when he and his men clearly already have steel weapons? Why does Conan spend years pushing a giant wheel for no fucking reason in the middle of nowhere? Who the fuck is King Osric and why would he allow his daughter to join a foreign cult? Etc.

It’s a typical Hollywood movie that’s prevented from being a complete piece of shit because of the involvement of John Milius.

Literally false desu

>the only way to judge a film is through its story
brainlets