People like disregarding Godzilla without a second thought but what exactly makes his movies "bad"?

people like disregarding Godzilla without a second thought but what exactly makes his movies "bad"?

Shit writing, shit characters, shit directing.

>shit directing
Are you familiar with Ishiro Honda? Close personal friend and colleague of Akira Kurosawa. He even directed entire sequences of some of his films. Primarily Kurosawa's last few works. The man was talented and is underappreciated. I would recommend trying some of Honda's Godzilla films (Godzilla 1954, Mothra vs Godzilla, Monster Zero) before dismissing the entire franchise.

Hideaki Anno (most people are familiar with him I'm sure) directed Shin Godzilla.

Sup Forums had dedicated Godzilla threads when Shin and 2014 came out. There were Monsterverse threads on the daily when Skull Island came out, too. Godzilla has a home on most boards because of how wide the franchise reaches.
However, Vs Biollante sucks, I can't understand why people love it so much.

>I can't understand why people love it so much.
The practical effects are fantastic even today (look at Biollante alone) and it's the best thing to come out of the Heisei Era. There's never a dull moment and a few of the characters are pretty endearing. The movie itself is extremely ambitious with the various attacks on Godzilla and the inexperienced military commander subplot (just to name a few). And I find the music positively haunting. Not to pretend it doesn't have its fair share of flaws. Music editing is pretty poor at times, Erika's last "appearance" is groan-inducing, writing could use tightening, and some of the performances leave much to be desired. It being better than literally everything else in its vicinity might afford it a little more praise than it deserves, though I wouldn't say it sucks.

you know how when people counter complaints about Shin Godzilla's human sections with "Godzilla has always had those!" Well for most of those movies the human segments are a much bigger chore to get through than in Shin.

Godzilla 2014>Shin Godzilla

>that taste
The only positives of G14 were its cinematography and effects (which were average by Hollywood's standards). It's an overly long movie with nothing significant to say and little entertainment value. Human drama falls flat and there isn't enough Godzilla to compensate.

Who says Goji movies are bad? Pinnacle of kaijushit.

I don't even understand the basis of this opinion. Hollywood can't into Goji, they've failed twice now. It would be fine if they abandoned the Hollywood formula, which they occasionally do anyway with movies, but it just doesn't work with kaiju. You at least need a similar narrative to westerns/kung fu/samurai movies to make it work, or simply something unique like what Anno did.

If you're not into giant monsters what the fuck are you going to get out of a Godzilla film?

Generally? Camp. They're on par with an episode of Star Trek (TOS) in terms of special effects and acting, but they're ostensibly big budget movies. There are far more Godzilla movies that are tongue-in-cheek superhero movies, than there are dark allegorical or even action movies. People disregard Godzilla as shit because more than two thirds of his movies are... shit. They're fun shit, but they're not something every Tom, Dick or Harry would enjoy.

Anyone who dismisses the Honda films has no taste. His non-Godzilla work like Matango is even better.

Japanese story-telling and acting is all over the place. Combine that with bad dubbing. But once Godzilla appears kicking ass, the movie is insta-watchable and worthy. It is also kind of an acquired taste, going throughpain for a few bits of pleasure.

This. Only like ten Godzilla movies could actually withstand objective criticism and most of those have the disadvantages of being both old and foreign.

godzilla didnt make the movies, the movies were about him

>the disadvantages of being both old and foreign
disgusting

I don't have a problem with either and most of the best movies in the franchise are some of the earliest. But the average person will never give those films an honest chance because of the reasons I listed in my previous post. Plus there's the obsession with realism. Tsuburaya wasn't about that. He wanted whatever was visually interesting.

>Japanese story-telling and acting is all over the place
This is the main reason I can't get into these films. It's just so fucking amateurish, I've seen cartoons that are better in that regard.

Zilla movies are a strange mixture of comfy silliness and jaw-dropping awesome.

Maybe if your tastes are that bad, it's cringe material for everyone else. Can't all ironically enjoy shit effects.

Your loss. I can enjoy the shit out of them and have a wonderful time, and that doesn't stop me from enjoying and more mature, intellectually engaging fare.