Scientists are able to predict health problems of a person just after birth

>scientists are able to predict health problems of a person just after birth
>they seemingly aren't able to treat it at all
Anyone else felt it's kinda strange? I liked the movie, but I felt a bit of dissonance.

Anyone watched the movie even

jude law went in the oven and didn't come out. this movie has a great soundtrack

what's way more important is, that the doctor could've just undo the whole plot in 3 seconds

Where's the incentive to cure genetic diseases when they can just breed it out and the establishment only cares about the needs of the genetically engineered elite. Its not that far fetched.

desu it's how things should be

I took it as they could treat it, but if you've got a heart that's shit on a genetic level, it's never going to be as good as a genetically great heart, so you're basically a trash person.

I'm a big Michael Nyman fan so my gf at the time bought me the score to this movie way before it came out in UK.
To this day it's the only movie I've watched where I knew the score really well on my first watch. It's an unusual experience.
Also, the name of the movie only uses the letters G A T, like genes, yeah?

No.

>>they seemingly aren't able to treat it at all
they probably can, but a shitty treated heart is not as good as a healthy to begin with heart and won't respond as well to stress and shit like that

the true conundrum is, if the retarded brother had a higher willpower, was that thanks to his genetic makeup, and if that higher willpower can be found in his genes, could it be also genetically inserted into new babies to have higher willpower and work ethics, or did his willpower come from God and was not a consequence of his genes?

>Also, the name of the movie only uses the letters G A T, like genes, yeah?

What about C

ATGC, high school biology m8

Cytosine is one of the four main bases found in DNA and RNA, along with adenine, guanine, and thymine (uracil in RNA). It is a pyrimidine derivative, with a heterocyclic aromatic ring and two substituents attached (an amine group at position 4 and a keto group at position 2). The nucleoside of cytosine is cytidine. In Watson-Crick base pairing, it forms three(3) hydrogen bonds with guanine.

nice copypaste

Esperé toda la peli a que apareciera la atacara la gata pero nunca apareció, vaya timo.

If you're born with a shit heart there really is nothing you can do, you may be able to treat it and lead a regularly normal life, but anytime you tried to exert yourself physically you'd feel sick and/or risk death.
The only option would be a transplant, but you'd either have to be extremely lucky to find a heart that'd properly fit your needs or get an artificial heart instead, which in Gattaca's setting seems like it would have already been invented, but it's logical certain medical procedures would have become uncommon to give room for pre-birth genetical enhancement.

Just watched this movie a couple hours ago. Despite some of the scientific/plot inconsistencies, It's still absolute kino and definitely goes in my top ten.

>>scientists are able to predict health problems of a person just after birth
>>they seemingly aren't able to treat it at all
Changing genetics in a single cells (or in two cells if it's done prior to fertilization) is way the fuck easier than trying to change 37.2 trillion cells in a human body, and having fuck ups like only changing some of the cells so half the body fights the other half because it doesn't recognize the other cells as part of the self.
Also by birth a lot of the issues that genetic defects (or even non-genetic congenital defects) will bring are already present and going and changing all your genes won't do much to mitigate them.

Remember when the manlet got height surgery? Lmao

>was that thanks to his genetic makeup
No. The entire point of the movie is that a person can be born with a superior mind and body and still turn out to be a loser; that a person with a decent mind, decent body, and great drive and ambition will outdo the ubermensch.

Jude Law's character is the ubermensch and he's a second-rate person. All the talent in the world but neither the drive nor ambition to make the most of it.

Ethan Hawke's (he plays Vincent) brother in the film (Anton) is biologically related but, despite genetic engineering, is still a lesser man than Vincent.

The film is saying that it is the human spirit that determines the greatness of a person. Kind of like what Yoda said, "Luminous beings are we; not this crude matter."

>implying it's hard to find a genetic marker
Stop not liking stuff based on your own ignorance.

Movie felt a lil incomplete without a final shot of Ethan Hawke collapsing shortly after touchdown on the Titanan surface.

To that extent and almost instantly? Yeah, kinda hard.

>The film is saying that it is the human spirit that determines the greatness of a person.
this, it's a christian movie

>implying he made it there alive
probably died as they left atmosphere and they threw his corpse out the airlock

just because you can detect something doesn't mean you know a fucking thing about fixing it. It's like if you come home and see your house is on fire, you can't actually stop it but you can report it.

>not realizing its a metaphor for American class society

you will never fly the rocket lads
youre dish washers amd state universities at best
meamwhile trump's kids....

i want that lion toy

it's a guy in a suit

even better