I found something special from WWII

I bought a nasty old WWII US canteen at auction today for 2 bucks. I removed it from the canvas carrier and I removed the cup from the bottom.

The cup was hand engraved with each of the campaigns that it's original owner had fought in.

One engraving says "..20th INF." which would make it part of the 6th Division. I guess these poor bastards held the record for continuous days in combat - 219 days straight. They killed the Japanese 12:1.

It gives me pause to think about all of those poor bastards, particularly "BJD" who fought and survived his own corner of hell. We are mere shadows of his generation.

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.com/p/WEN-Variable-Speed-Electric-Engraver-Kit-with-Stencils-21C/203604639?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3s6-BRC3kKL_86XDvq4BEiQAAUqtZ9zYK-I_l1Z3nVnsQYajWK_ZGRyV5NLaNz_RDGSOz6waAkMA8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
dapramarking.com/dot-peen-marking.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=UhXu54dTXQ4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ix7i94YwsDg
6thinfantry.com.customers.tigertech.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/6thID_20thInf_Munoz.pdf
6thinfantry.com/about/a-brief-history-of-the-u-s-army-6th-infantry-division/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The campaigns listed are:
New Guinea
Hollandia
Maffin Bay
Luzon Leyte
Panay
Negroes
Mindanao
Mindoro

Here's the bit that drives it home for me: The largest engraving on the cup says "Janet", and he underlined it 3 times.

holy fuck thats sad

Thanks for showing us this OP

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

I would have paid at least three dollars and I've been known to chase pennies down hills while eating bagels.

DO IT FOR HER
O

I
T

F
O
R

H
E
R

Really makes you think

Here's to that guy, whoever he was.

Saving the pics, going to pass them to a friend in the Army's historical department.

Didn't know you fought a campaign against negroes too, good job burgers

>everyone who held that before you is now dead

Wtf I like Americans now. Jk it's pretty cool.

except the auctioneer hopefully

>he killed the shopkeeper

It seems cool, but how did they engrave that? It kind of looks like a machine did it. Not professionally obviously, but it's very uniform in the markings.

I think I got my money's worth today, lots of good/bad feels - better and cheaper than a movie.

Nifty, but don't go insulting my generation just because this faggot got tricked into fighting a bankers war.

I wonder if he outlived her.

Hammer and chisel, or even a sharp screwdriver will do it. The metal those are made of isn't particularly hard and the guy obviously has a bit of skill. Possibly a part of his job before the war.

Yeah, I wonder if him and Janet settled down and had a big litter of kids. I'm an old fucker, and they were my grandparents generation.

They didn't know that, don't cheapen their sacrifice. The only way to get information was from newspapers and radios, how the fuck would they know what they were getting into? Their hearts were pure, they fought for what they thought was right, on all sides. Don't be a cunt.

They probably had rotary tools for machine work and marking metal parts, etc.
Wouldn't have had them in the field of course but ships and installations would have had machine shops for repairing equipment

something like this:

homedepot.com/p/WEN-Variable-Speed-Electric-Engraver-Kit-with-Stencils-21C/203604639?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3s6-BRC3kKL_86XDvq4BEiQAAUqtZ9zYK-I_l1Z3nVnsQYajWK_ZGRyV5NLaNz_RDGSOz6waAkMA8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

looking at it again you are probably right because those rough edges are probably done with a non-power tool

Yeah I started thinking about it they probably had access to all kinds of shit, especially naval units as you said.

I didn't ask for these feels, OP.

The edges are gouged out in a uniform way that probably wouldn't happen with a power tool, like the other user said it's probably a guy holding a hard chisel or screwdriver against it and hitting it with a hammer

Anyone interested in images of a probable German WWII Mess tin with a name scratched the paint?

It could be a pneumatic peen marker. Which is pretty much a little chisel that moves in and out.

Of course.

The guy who it belonged to probably used it as a year book of sorts, and the guys signing is never thought much about it. It would be interesting to know which ones died in combat and those who lived.

I wasn't aware such a tool existed, it could be what was used. It doesn't look like anything rotary and then of course on further consideration since it's a thin metal cup any cutting type tool would just make a hole and render it useless

Here's his sig "BJD"

I picked this up at an army surplus store for like $10
This is the top of the lid

20 years ago

Something like these but a flat point not round.

dapramarking.com/dot-peen-marking.htm

I couldn't read this clearly until I took the photo, I think it says "CO FOR 20th INF". If so, it could be possible to name him.

thanks for sharing and for feels
nice 7's

With as much cursive on there, it was probably kind of like a tattoo gun.

forgot to add photo...

2 bucks for this? Were they retarded?

Roger that

>the former owner probably killed Mudshits from Mindanao
F

The inside is pristine

Tattoo gun wouldn't do it, they use needles. I'm thinking engraving tool like the other user said. They use them to engrave rings, lockets, knives, guns, whatever. I'm not saying this is a fake, but I'm curious/autistic. Soldiers might have had access to engraving tools for any number of reasons.

I'm searching, these are very specific details
Hopefully we can identify the soldier this belonged to

Damn OP that's cool as fuck. I love threads like these.

Can you get a better shot of the unit marking? Knowing the company of the regiment will help.

Yeah, I am thinking something like this, just a little more crude.

youtube.com/watch?v=UhXu54dTXQ4

that almost looks new.

Never mind, you added it.

Outside shows wear and personality.
Inside shows dedication to keeping his tool in good working order.

Collectors normally go nuts over this, save it for future generations. At the very least you've kept a taciticool faggot from losing it in the woods.

It was an auction and was thrown on a big table with a ton of other crap. I saw other people looking at the canteen itself, but the cup sits in the very bottom, and was hard to get out. The canteen itself was in below average condition, so nobody was fighting for it.

I have a hard time believing that his family lost track of something like this. If he was my grand-dad, I'd never let go of it.

Okay, so BJD from F Company, 20th Infantry, 6th Division.

probably more like this

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ix7i94YwsDg

I don't mean to be, but shit, when are people going to learn?

These old mess kits are great for when your'e in the woods, I've even made popcorn in them.

This is the only marking on this mess kit,

>tfw I collect Coins
>my favorite is German Coins from The reich
More pics?

We have no excuse. We have constant information. It wasn't the same back then. You have to look at motivation. They were fighting for their people, mom, dad, sister, girlfriend, etc. They get a pass in my book.

If hillary wins, remember who to fight when WW3 breaks out.

I also have this from 1863

I think I misread it, it;s god-awful dirty!
It's 'CO "F" 20th INF.' I even see quotes around "F"

>F Company, 20th Infantry, 6th Division.
Mentioned in after action report and debreifing on pg 16
6thinfantry.com.customers.tigertech.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/6thID_20thInf_Munoz.pdf

6thinfantry.com/about/a-brief-history-of-the-u-s-army-6th-infantry-division/

We'd probably have to get into the National Archives Modern Military branch out at Suitland, Maryland to pull the company rosters.

20th infantry didn't exist during ww2

Ooooh, good find. Downloaded.

BJD he might actually be in this picture

>The only way to get information was from newspapers and radios, how the fuck would they know what they were getting into? Their hearts were pure, they fought for what they thought was right, on all sides.
And they were betrayed in the end, stabbed in the back. Shit makes me mad.

You are confusing division and regiment, and yes it did. Wikipedia that shit.

Roger that. Here's one more shot that completes the set
Mindinau
Mindoro

The fog of war gets us every time Sup Forums

>holy fuck thats sad

you reddit faggot
germans were germans
most of the white people from usa were germans

dumb goy

bump

Coins are dope

Awesome find Sup Forums. The title alone makes we want to read it through.

That's pretty cool, OP!
The most personalized bit from WWII I own is this Japanese enlisted man's dogtag from Okinawa. I bought the dog tag, field glasses and Type 14 from the grandson of the vet that brought it back. I bought the original Type 38 bullet at a gun show.

The right column is 5629 which is the unit code for 36th Infantry Regiment, 28th Division and/or Daitojima Guard Unit within the 32nd Army. (The Daitojima Guard Unit may be a part of the 36th infantry regiment or may be another name for the regiment.)
The middle column is 33 for the 33rd company of the regiment.
The left column is 7. That means he was soldier number 7 of the company (or many regiment I don't remember how it's set up).

This was a pretty brutal episode. Thanks Sup Forums

I would provide my left testicle for a Nambu T14...
Serious Jelly

Yep, thats what I was thinking of. My grandpa had one, couldn't remember what it was called.

All those namedrops on Philippine locations and only one flip post?
Fo'shame.
Luzon, Leyte, Panay, Negros, Mindanao, Mindoro.
Pretty cool.
My grandfather was in the vietnam and korean wars.
I'm timid around asking him for war stories, I'm not sure if it would garner positive or negative feedback.

They aren't exactly uncommon.

Here is a "China Incident" medal which is what the Japanese called WWII. Every soldier got one of these. They're like $15 medals (more with the box and paperwork which I do not own), but cool nonetheless.

OP, I think you should take some good pictures, but I think you should use it as well. Not all the time, but just every once in awhile, heat up some soup in there or take it on a hike and drink from it. I think that guy would like to know that his stuff is still useful after all this time. You don't have to be rough with it, but keeping old stuff like that and using it is a lot more meaningful in my opinion. Kinda keeps the tradition and ritual alive through the item, you know?

They did. By a wheelchair bound commie. Next comes a wheelchair bound 1st woman president globalist, if we don't vote, and convince others to vote.

>My grandfather was in the vietnam and korean wars.
>I'm timid around asking him for war stories, I'm not sure if it would garner positive or negative feedback

ASK HIM NOW
ask him

Really

>t. too late to ask now

Ask him, and record it for posterity. He will be gone soon, these stories only live as long as he does. Do it user

Quite a collection, spent some time in Oki, it was a bad business for everyone involved. My father has a Japanese Arisaka 38 brought back from Oki as a war prize by my great Uncle. I shot it a few months ago -good gun.

I agree with this, use it but remember to treat it like something you borrowed from the man and will eventually be giving back to him.

Anyone interested in seeing a Japanese flag from Osaka? Occupation not a battle flag.

Someone left behind their vietnam vet hat with a purple heart ribbon in it at my job.

meanwhile Janet fucked other guys who had a "medical" excuse to not be enlisted while he was at war

>inb4 b...but women were different back then

NO THEY FUCKING WEREN'T
they just hid their degeneracy better.

>liberals today seriously consider him the best president of the united states
this makes me SO UNBELIEVABLY FURIOUS

Most WWII vets I knew didn't talk in great detail. I did get my father in law drunk one night before he passed away, he Got in on the tail of of the European theater. When I got him to open up, he told me a couple of cringeworthy stories. It was probably for the best that most of these guys were tight-lipped.

Contributing anyways

I'd like to toast this man with some Bourbon in it, but it's freaking NASTY at the moment, and I'm not sure I should clean it.

Nice I like Arisakas! I own a few myself. Here is a couple Type 99 long rifles. A sort of pre-production Type 99.
Got pics of your 38? I can probably tell you the manufacturer and series of it.

Do what says, but also record it if you can.

>Most WWII vets I knew didn't talk in great detail.
Sadly, that is probably true. I've always wanted to talk to my great uncle. He was on the USS California when it was bombed in Pearl Harbor.

I have the telegram that the Navy sent to his family saying he was dead, a shame I don't have the postcard he sent saying he was alive!