BLADE RUNNER 2049

>In the year 2049, the Replicants are legal. Blade Runners still hunt older (illegal) Replicants with unlimited lifespan.

>Officer K is a Replicant and knows it.

>He visits a farm outside L.A. to kill Sapper (an older Replicant). Before he dies, Sapper tells him "You new models are happy because you've never seen a miracle". Before leaving the farm, K finds a buried box.

>K returns home where he has a holographic girlfriend named Joi (she is not able to physically interact with anything or anyone). He brings her a gift - a portable "projector" that allows her to accompany him anywhere (previously she was confined to his flat). They go to the roof where Joi attempts to kiss him. They are interrupted by a voice message from the police captain Joshi

>K goes to LAPD HQ. They analyze the box. Inside are human bones. They find out the bones are of a female Replicant who died while giving a birth several decades ago. The concept of Replicants being able to reproduce is considered very dangerous by Joshi. She orders K to destroy all evidence about this to protect the stability of the society. K seems reluctant to do so.

>K goes to the HQ of Niander Wallace who is now the only manufacturer of Replicants after Tyrell went bankrupt. With the help of Luv, Wallace's right hand, he finds the information about the buried Replicant in Wallace's archives. He listens to Rachael's dialogue with Deckard (from the first Blade Runner). From the recording, it's clear to him that Deckard loved Rachael.

>K goes to see old Gaff and asks him about Deckard but finds no new info. Gaff makes an origami of a sheep (in reference to the title of the novel from which the story is taken, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)

>Wallace talks about his desire to create Replicants that reproduce. He needs them because he is not able to manufacture the Replicants in sufficient numbers to colonize all the off world colonies.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-review-one-spectacular-provocative-profound/
villagevoice.com/2017/09/29/blade-runner-2049-is-beautiful-but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/
theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/29/blade-runner-2049-review-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-denis-villeneuve
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum
youtube.com/watch?v=6uXnXEdXGJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>K has a short encounter with Mariette, a Replicant prostitute. He likes her but then leaves.

>K goes back to Sapper's farm and finds a child's sock and a date etched on the dead tree where Rachael was buried. He burns the farm.

>Luv steals Rachael's bones from the LAPD HQ.

>Joshi comes to K's home and wants to hear some childhood stories from him. K complies and tells her the story about hiding a small wooden horse (with etched numbers at the bottom) in the boiler at the orphanage, although he believes this story is a fake memory (because he's a Replicant). Joshi then wants to seduce him but he declines.

>With the help of Joi, K searches the old databases. It's revealed that the date on the dead tree is the same date that was on the wooden horse in K's memory. From this, they deduce that K is not a "standard Replicant" but was actually born and Rachael was his mother. They find out that there were two children born on that date, one male and one female, with the same DNA. This is impossible, so one of them has to be the copy of the other.

>K and Joi fly outside L.A., to an old orphanage where both children were raised (before getting there, their vehicle is shot down and K has to fight some homeless people on the rubbish dump). Here, K finds the boiler room from his memory and the actual wooden horse in the boiler. It's revealed that the relevant pages are missing from orphanage's records, removed by someone. It's also revealed that Luv watches all K's moves and want to get to the child (Luv does not know that K is the child).

>K wants to find out more about his memories and visits Dr. Ana Stelline, the foremost memory designer. Ana Stelline tells K that his memory of the boiler room is indeed a real memory, not designed (it's illegal to use real memories for Replicants).

>K is arrested for disobeying orders. It's found that he is mentally corrupted and no longer able to function as a police officer. Joshi lets him get away with it (but suspends him).

>K returns home where Joi attempts to have sex with him. Because she is unable to physically touch him, she pays Mariette to act as their intermediary.

>K finds out that the wooden horse contains traces of dirty bomb radiation which only occured in Las Vegas. He goes there with Joi and finds old Deckard. First they fight, then they talk.

>Deckard explains that he intentionally left Rachael before she gave birth to protect both her and the child.

>Luv comes to LAPD HQ, kills Joshi and tracks K's position.

>Luv and her henchmen arrive to Las Vegas. They beat up K, kidnap Deckard and destroy Joi's projector (thus "killing" her) before she is able to say "I love you" to K.

>K wakes up amidst rebelling Replicants (including Mariette). An old female Replicant explains to K that he is not Rachael's child - he is the copy created to protect the child. Dr. Ana Selline is Rachael's child. The old woman wants to persuade K to find and kill Deckard so that he is not able to reveal important info to Wallace and put the hiding Replicants into danger.

>Deckard wakes up in Wallace's HQ. Wallace explains that the first meeting of Deckard and Rachael was planned in order for them to fall in love and have a child. He quotes The Bible and teases Deckard about him being/not being a Replicant but provides no definitive answer. Wallace shows Deckard a new version of (young) Rachael. Deckard dismisses her and Luv shoots her. Wallace orders Luv to take Deckard to Wallace's Off-world facility where he will be tortured to give information leading to the secrets of Replicant reproduction. This is the last time Wallace appears in the movie.

>Luv flies with Deckard to the space port. On the way, K shoots their vehicle down and, after a prolonged fight, kills Luv. Then he explains to Deckard that he is now considered dead by everyone (because the spinner Luv had been flying him in sunk) so he can go see his daughter.

>Deckard and badly wounded K arrive at Dr. Selline's institute. K says "All the best memories are hers". The sky has cleared and it's now snowing. Deckard asks K why he is helping him. K just says "Go see your daughter" and doesn't explain anything. Deckard goes inside. K lies at the institute stairs and peacefully dies. Inside the institute, Deckard approaches Ana without saying anything.

eh

>no source

i can't read this there's something wrong with the text. I think Disney hacked the thread.

>he like her but then leaves
Ok?

>not able to physically interact with anything or anyone
>Joi

That's a lot to unpack. Sounds kind of mediocre and convoluted,but I"m sure it plays out great when you actually watch the film.

Am I the only one who thinks this "replicants revolt" shit adds nothing to the plot and is clearly non-blader runner-y?

Still gonna go see it doe.

>invites a prostitute over so K and fuck her while she watches
is Joi a cuck?

Oh god I shouldn't have read it. I don't want to watch it at the cinema box now

Do you think we'll ever see C-Beam glitter? Ever visit Tannhauser Gate?

Well it is nearly 3 hours so I guess there are long scenes where not much happens and the relevant info is dumped ever so often instead of all at once

The original mentions "several bloody replicant mutinies" though

in the shitty continuation novels replicant revolt is a big plot line

>The original mentions "several bloody replicant mutinies" though
Fair enough but those are mentions with little to no context, that you can picture however small/big you want. If there's discontentment at that level, it wouldn't make for the existence of a character like Deckard, as in "a detective on a case" but rather a fucking swat team/military detachment. That animated short left me really 'eh'.

Fuck off with your spoiler

>another flick about mothers from the trashmaster

What, the Jeter books? I don't even what those are. Sequels to the film? To the book? To both? And by a different author? Fuck that noise.

The second one had a cool title though, I almost kind of wish they had used it for 2049

they were sequels to the movie and they were completely shit, the first one wasn't that bad but I dropped the second one faster than a raped ape.

This sounds like the most retarded shit I've ever heard of.

>robots having children
>Deckard was set up to have a robot kid with Rachel all from the start

I'll watch it one day but not now or any time soon.

Replicants aren't robots, they're vat-grown clones

When was did they say they weren't robots?

I really hope this isn't true. Especially the whole Decka has all been planned since the first one thing

>one had a cool title though
With a title like that they could repurpose that one poster.

telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-review-one-spectacular-provocative-profound/

>the press kit released to the media for the 1982 film explicitly defined a replicant as, "A genetically engineered creature composed entirely of organic substance"

>The opening crawl also states that they were created by "genetic engineers"

>In May 2012, Ridley Scott confirmed that the replicants were biological in nature, and contrasted them to the androids in the Alien series. "Roy Batty was an evolved... He wasn't an engine. If I cut him open, there wasn't metal, he was grown... and then within twenty years you get the first bill not passed in the Senate where they applied for replication of animals, sheep and goats and cattle and animals and they turned it down, but if you can do that, then you can do human beings. If you go deeper into it and say 'Yeah, but if you are going to grow a human being, does he start that big and I've got to see him through everything?' I don't want to answer the question, because of course he does... Ash in Alien had nothing to do with Roy Batty, because Roy Batty is more humanoid, whereas Ash was more metal".

captcha: I'm not a robot

I hate this poster so much.

yeah that's the only part that really bothers me about it, like somebody insisted that they needed to retcon ONE thing

It makes no fucking sense unless they wanted some noir shadowy conspiracy shit or to make it so he is a replicant.

YOU JUST DUN GET IT!!!
THEY'RE HUMANS RUNNING ON THE EDGE OF A BLADE!!!
IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!

kek

Fuck off pleb. It's minimalist yet verbose

TFA all over again

villagevoice.com/2017/09/29/blade-runner-2049-is-beautiful-but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/
theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/29/blade-runner-2049-review-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-denis-villeneuve

it's literally the opposite though

>the best script I've ever read
Thanks again Scott!!

I'm surprised that someone can remember so much from a movie that they've only seen once

Am I the only one who thought "who is or who isn't a replicant" was the dullest discourse surrounding BR.

do you not take a thing of sticky notes to jot down notes?

no, but at least I'm glad the writers for the sequel realized this too and reveal early on that K is a replicant

>the first meeting of Deckard and Rachael was planned in order for them to fall in love and have a child
FUCK.THIS.SHIT

it has nothing to do with the film apart from the title. Even the job of "blade runner" has nothing to do with the job itself, its just meant to sound cool

All according to Tyrell's keikaku

>its (sic) just meant to sound cool
Blade runner, as in someone who runs blades across things, IE throats IE an executioner

they literally bought just the title bc it sounded cool

why would they such an informal and vulgar phrase as the official title of a position in the police force

so why do they have glowing robot eyes

The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be setting up another sequel.

The first one barely had any fleshed out relationships anyway. It was all """implied'"". Deckard being a replicant was forced. The skinjobs he hunted down didnt feel like their deaths mattered at all no backstory or emotions apart from maybe roy. Deckard literally forced himself on the woman there was no real chemistry that I saw. Tyrell was a literal who apart from a chess game. Gaff was way too mysterious and I dont mean i wanted dialogue it was just odd watching it like they wanted it to mean something but it didnt(depends on cut) . J.F sebastien was the most fleshed out character.

inb4 "the relationships were meant to be forced to show how Decard lacked humanity and was more replicant than human" bs

The skinjobs opted to fight back ineffectively rather than kill Deckard. What do you think that all of those shots of doves represented?

the fact that K dies pretty much kills any sequel, considering that there's no way Ford will sign back on again.

That doesn't make any sense at all

They wanted to live, but not at the price of killing. Their lifespan wasn't indefinite while Deckard was human so his lifespan was much longer. Regarding life as precious, not only their own, is what separated them.

yeah, they considered every life precious except Tyrell's and that guy Leon shoots at the start of the film

Those guys were party to the process of profiting from the replicants.

is "Officer K" a reference to the main character in Kafka's Der Process?

>We need a new main character for Blade Runner 3023
>Get me Justin Bieber on the phone!
Problem solved

They can just make a new one.

Or get another hot button actor to play the lead, like Fassbender or something.

Wallace, Deckard, and Deckard's daughter are all alive at the end and the central conflict, Wallace wanting Deckard's progeny, is not resolved. Ford would come back because he loves that sweet green.

fuck you pleb

For fuck sake why did i read this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

>Deckard wakes up in Wallace's HQ. Wallace explains that the first meeting of Deckard and Rachael was planned in order for them to fall in love and have a child. He quotes The Bible and teases Deckard about him being/not being a Replicant but provides no definitive answer. Wallace shows Deckard a new version of (young) Rachael. Deckard dismisses her and Luv shoots her. Wallace orders Luv to take Deckard to Wallace's Off-world facility where he will be tortured to give information leading to the secrets of Replicant reproduction. This is the last time Wallace appears in the movie.

This makes no sense. If Wallace's goal is to unlock the secret of replicant reproduction, why play up the ambiguity about whether or not Deckard is a replicant? If Deckard were a replicant and impregnated Rachael, Wallace could just study Deckard's body.

Also transporting Deckard far away so that he can conveniently escape is Dr. Evil-tier. Why not torture him IMMEDIATELY in the FUCKING ROOM HE IS CURRENTLY OCCUPYING?

why would you read the spoilers in the comments but not the giant spoiler synopsis

Sounds neat.

What's the source for this shit?

>In the year 2049, the Replicants are legal

This is literally so fucking retarded it might be true, Riddley applying the same retro-continuity bullshit from the Alien prequels

Goddamn I am strong. I only read the first sentence, then backed off.

How do we know this is the real stuff

You must believe.

But that would be wanting the movie to be shit

Remember he said its the best script hes read so its very possible

How´s the soundtrack ? Can it top the original ?

youtube.com/watch?v=6uXnXEdXGJY

>He needs them because he is not able to manufacture the Replicants in sufficient numbers to colonize all the off world colonies.
getting Armitage III vibes here

Should have been "More Human Than Human", that was our motto.

Is Tyrell being a Replicant ever addressed in 2049? Genuinely curious, good plot twist