Which fields of study and occupations are future proof?

Which fields of study and occupations are future proof?

Software

It's not as shit as people say, plenty of room to grow as well, and pays okay starting salaries.
Gotta be smart to move up though.

All creative and intelligent work will be dominated by artificial intelligences over the next one hundred years.
All repetitive physical labor will be dominated by robots over the next one hundred years.

Gotta be the people who make,design, and improve the AIs and the robots.

Nothing. Automation threatens everything, even the writing of software. The important thing is to be flexible and have skills with broader applicability. For example, I know a lot of artists that are broke because they can only do fine art. The ones that can do digital art and 3d modeling work in video games and movies.

The only really unique advantage we have over automation is cheapness of labor, fluidity of thought, and creativity. For a job that's better than grave digging, you need to use the latter two skills. Be fluid, be creative.

Military and government

>Gotta be the people who make,design, and improve the AIs and the robots.

That's only going to be a select few able to do that.

What the fuck do the rest of us do?

Economics, accounting, etc

GOOD CLOCKMAKERS ARE ALWAYS IN DEMAND

I've read some books on that, and they all end with some variant of: "We don't know, but you're probably screwed, and we need to figure out an answer before the screwing begins in earnest."

If the bleeding hearts prevail, you'll subsist on a living wage.

If the bleeding tongues prevail, you'll perish.

Also, you gotta think about the scale of the economy.
More AI and robots means more people working on it.
Theoretically, you could just train the entire population to make AIs and robots.

You can dig a hole in the backyard and sit in it.

I'm going to join the Army and work in intelligence for cyber warfare. I believe the future will be full of wars for a cyber arms race.

STEM based jobs is the future

Robotics technician

>thinking there is enough rare earth metals to automate EVERYTHING and still have enough for the Military Industrial complex and other non automated technology and space exploration and automated cars

Absolutely this. Locksmithing and gunsmithing as well. Tap n die. Goldsmith. Lots of these things are future proof, but not necessarily super lucrative.

Don't worry, by this time next year everyone in America will be a soldier

Politician

If I can train and maintain robots to do jobs for me why would I need anything or anyone else?

explain

They'll push to automate everything they can. Of course they won't succeed. But they'll definitely automate away enough jobs that the typical person is fucked.

Nursing

With a large population I'm sure aged care has a lot of potential but it seems like something that can eventually be replaced by a robot that doesn't cringe or vomit.

Learn a skilled trade and become a HVAC technician or a plumber if you want job security. No one can outsource those jobs and they will always be in demand. You'll be a sweaty mess from crawling on your knees to get shit done but the pay is good and you don't have to spend several extra years in school to earn well.

typical education and peoples willingness to learn is fucked

degeneracy is valued more over education

This is the real answer

Tbh humanities and business (especially management and marketing)

so psychology is ok?

The Luddites have been decrying technological advancement for the whole of human history and telling other stupid people to fear for their future. Just keep your ears to the ground and have a variety of skills. The true way to future proof yourself is to have a job and also have unique skills that make you a valuable asset to your employers/the economy in your field.

Mechanic

STEM, business, humanities, military, and political occupations. Some might not be as lucrative as others, but all of them will be in high demand for at least a century, after which STEM and business will start taking a bigger slice of the pie than the others combined.

Anything that has to do with automation and robotics.
War related fields are always relevant.
Psychologists.
Politics

>he honestly thinks that anyone can predict the future
You're all insane. Just because there are jobs doesn't mean you're the person they want. You work hard, be smart, and get lucky just like anything else.

What a useless post. Why even bother? That added absolutely nothing to the thread.

humanities? lol

Mercenary

-cops
-security
-military

May not get rich, but there will be work.

Surgeon

GPs will be replaced but it will be a liong time before surgeons are replaced

mercenaries will be big.

entertainment?
Sup Forums mocks humanities but honestly do you think an AI will be able to make you laugh or cry?

Don't fall for memes, People want human interaction

It's not like a successful career in the arts is impossible. I'm an author and I comfortably support myself with my writing to the tune of about 47k a year. I could probably do better but it's a niche genre.

I didn't get a degree in it though. I have never taken a writing course beyond what was required. My degree was in computer aided drafting, a complete waste.

All I did to become a talented writer was read a shit load of critically acclaimed books until I absorbed an averaged version of the authors' writing styles.

How much do you write a year? Do you have a regular source of income from a column or some shit, or are you always looking writing completely new material?

Read "Player Piano" by Vonnegut.

Study?

Futurist philosophy.

Could robots write?

lol, programmers have been making themselves obsolete since the beginning. What do you think a compiler is? It's a program that saves a huge amount of programmer labor. See, programmers are very lazy, and are constantly seeking to offload more and more work to the computer. In a post-AI world, programming will not be the last job to go; they'll be one of the first.

It's hard to give an exact figure since I am not strictly a novelist. I do novels, novellas and short stories, selling them to a variety of clients like podcasts, scifi magazines and conventional publishers.

I've written three novels so far about 57 individual stories of wildly varying lengths in total over the past 3 years. I don't write a column, it's all fiction, but I do have my fingers in many different pies in case any of my income sources should disappear unexpectedly.

It takes a long miserable few years to get off the ground this way but the ascent is exponential after that. You just keep doing better and better, faster and faster as your fanbase grows until suddenly you have enough money that you're not constantly worried about money anymore.

I could care less if I do any better than this. I have "enough". I drive a used prius, not a Tesla. I live in a cheap apartment, not a house. But I can have whatever gadgets or games I want. I can eat wherever I like for every meal. I have savings put away.

If you want to do this, be prepared to suffer for years, but be stubborn. "If it's so great why doesn't everybody do it?" Because most people give up after like a year. Don't bet everything on it unless you are 100% sure of your talent. You need 2 things, talent and luck.

If you have talent but no luck, nobody will discover your work until after you die. If you have luck but no talent, you'll fail because your writing is shit. You gotta NOT be shy about self promotion either, because nobody's gonna voluntarily do that for you. Not for free anyways.

If you mean the historial Italian philosophy behind the birth of fascism, that's for edgy teenagers and meth heads. The world doesn't need more violent maniacs.

in the future we're either all dead or all gods

there is no future proof career

in the mean time trades are a solid choice. very difficult to outsource or mechanize. will be some of the last to go.

Sitting on the benefit is pretty future-proof.

The answer, as always, is medicine

>Writer
>Says "I could care less"
ree

Research fields like genetics, physics and chemistry

Worthless unless you have a PhD.

Fucking idiot, software allows software engineers to work at higher levels of abstraction

Yep. Vehicles will always need to be fixed/serviced/built.

which is exactly why i specified Research. can't do real research without a PhD

You said it's a niche genre, out of curiosity what genre?

Do you self publish the novels through amazon or something?

I'm getting a degree in Environmental Engineering. I'll be focusing on energy systems while also picking up general engineering principles and water resource stuff.

Efficient building design and renewable energies are growing more popular, and more feasible by the year. If things continue as they are I'll be making plenty of money as an Engineer. By the time things go to shit, if they do, I'll have the knowledge and hopefully enough money to fuck off and live self-sufficiently in the middle of nowhere.

Water Quality & Pollution Management. Always needed everywhere. Good mix of environmental and chemical sciences. Degree/studies on this topic opens doors all over the place outside of those two interests too.

>get degree
>get entry job
>do a planetary/earth science masters
>study Mars for two years because neat.jpg
>leave research
>making $150K a year managing pollution at a major industrial site