Opinions on this film?

Opinions on this film?

masterpiece.
refn should be directing the blade runner sequel

it's very good
I rate 7.5/10

Refn's masterpiece

Not as good as Drive but a solid film. 7/10

If Ryan Gosling was a dog he'd be a collie. Thought that several times during the movie

I love the atmosphere and visuals but a lot of elements don't really "come together" if that makes sense.
NWR's problem is that he'll have a handful of really cool, striking abstract scenes, then some unremarkable normal ones. It feels inconsistent. Had the same problem with Neon Demon, the first half had some really cool sequences but after that it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a horror, thriller, dark comedy, or what

The "wanna fight?" scene is one of my all-time favorites though, it was perfectly done

utter trash. first one is trash too. ridley scott is a hack.

it's gr8

better than drive at least

Gore is avant garde when we do it

his dog looks like him

or he looks like his dog, I'm not sure

That dog looks autistic

exactly

I didn't even know dogs could have autism

Mine does

>5555
Yup
Autism woofs

The only thing I really dislike about NWR's recent work is the hyper-minimal, stripped-down dialogue & performance style. It worked in "Drive" because it seemed to be a character trait rather than a director's trademark. But in Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon, it seems like a major handicap on films with a lot of good qualities.

It's a choice that I just don't understand. What's the appeal of having every actor emoting & moving like a mannequin, and speaking as little as possible? I usually dislike the word "pretentious" but it seems like the best explanation for this creative choice. Refn wants these movies to be all about HIM and his directorial choices, he doesn't want the actors polluting his "vision" with their charisma, humanity, or attempts to portray characters realistically. They're just coat-racks for his costume designers, who stand there reflecting red light and monotonously delivering just enough dialogue to move the plot forward, but never enough to show any hint of personality or depth.

That's the only issue I have with films that look great, sound great, and have storylines that seem intriguing on paper. to me, dialogue & performance are vital parts of a great film, but it seems Refn wants to strip away anything that he can't take credit for.

In my opinion his best film is still "Bronson," because it's a collaboration. Refn is starting to dig into the avant-garde visuals & editing and synth-pop soundtracks that define his current-day career, but it's balanced out by a grounded, human, batshit-insane performance by Tom Hardy, who insisted on spending time with the real Charlie Bronson (Refn did not) and apparently argued with Refn over his creative choices constantly during the production of the film. The result was a film better than either of them have made separately since then.

You must be new on the block, kiddo, because we call OGF, “kino” around these parts

I'm pretty sure all dogs are autistic

God tier ending.

This is where you realize Refn isn't really a good director and just likes taking pictures of set pieces. Actors just get in the way.

it looks good but acting/story/dialogue is garbage

But he's proven in the past that he's a good director. The "Pusher" films were full of life & natural performances, and they still looked great too (2 and 3, at least).

I honestly feel like he bought his own hype too much after the success of "Drive," but misunderstood what people liked about it, so he just copy/pasted the style of that film to any idea he's come up with since.

Current-day Refn is better suited to direct perfume commercials than feature films. But I still have such a strong connection to his older works that I'll watch everything he makes, in the hopes that he'll snap out of it one day.

I'd still say OGF was a 6/10 and Neon Demon was a 7/10. They're not terrible films and they're worth watching for anyone serious about film, because every other director under the sun is ripping Refn off these days. I just wish he'd cut it out with the lifeless mannequin performances

unironically one of the greatest films ever made.

i liked it, then i liked it a lot but had reservations about certain elements (muh script, muh pacing, muh pretentious)... then i purged all those "standards", got out of my own way and took it in on its own terms.

its truly incredible. a beautifully elegant and awe inspiring fever dream of a film that synthesizes script, subtext, symbolism, performance, the collaborative and constrictive elements of cinema, audiovisual storytelling.. its simply too good.

its almost as if several rabbit holes somehow managed to meet.. and you will probably hate it.

good luck

i can't seem to find ANY stream of this film with subtitles for the Thai parts.
anyone got a link?

I just finished it now, thanks Sup Forums, again

What did you think?

wanna fight?

every scene with Chang is pure gold but the final is 7/10

Chang is great

Wanna fight scene is great

TAKE IT OFF scene is great

That torture scene was a little too much

The bit's with his Mom were just WTF

The karaoke bits were retarded

Can't remember anything else

yes
cut my hands senpai

The karaoke is perfect

Gutter trash that tries too hard

The mom is the worst actor in it by far

masterpiece.
I like sucking big black dick btw

Reminder. You have to watch Santa Sangre to understand this film.

Are you illiterate or just plain retarded?