He has a point, why is this?

he has a point, why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2017/02/21/eight-years-on-avatar-is-finally-having-a-cultural-impact/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it has actual dialogue instead of quips.

It was shit
Everybody just wanted to be a part of the meme

It's impact came from the tech and visual standards that followed it.
Pop culture is always shit anyway

What impact do you want?

It wasn't pushing STEM or IT careers enough like everything else is to help combat the Russian narrative?

Do people tent to talk about rollercoasters and their impact on pop culture?

It's trash. All spectacle and no substance. There's nothing worth remembering

72% of it's total gross came from overseas

it literally changed cinema forever

I don't think anyone was impressed with the story. The visuals and technology were completely captivating, but as far as "pop culture" goes those things are completely unreferencable

>every movie now has CGI and 3D
>"zero impact"

>pop culture
lol le orange slices

Because it's not a good movie? Why does this board love to pretend that this piece of garbage is anything other than awful?

Everyone already knew what the story was, this version just had blue cat people.

Because it came out almost a decade ago. Also all the references to it when it first came were usually how it's similar to other films, that or having sex through their hair.

Disney is trying to make it a thing strangely, it has an area devoted to it in Animal Kingdom in WDW.

Didn't it pretty much define the 3D cinema experience? Not to mention all the CGI visuals and mo-cap stuff.

>literally anti-human sentiment in the movie
Gee I wonder

Disney are making it a thing because there are another 4 Avatar movies coming out in the next 8 years and it will take over from capeshit.

what cultural significance has capeshit had?

You're a retard.

It is literally the reason 3D is a big thing today. Once everyone saw how successful it was with Avatar, they implemented it into almost everything

it was a different time.

it was the first good 3D animated movie. people watched it for novelty.

Logan and TDK.

Its almost like James Cameron isn't a good director and just relying on his name and exclusivity to stay relevant.

just impact my shit up senpai

You just named two movies, you didn't answer his question.

Overrated shit and memes.

>avatar invented CGI
>now you have the option to pay more to see movies in unnecessary 3D

It's the post avatar depression syndrome, people didn't want to talk about it after it was over.

Well the Dark Knight alone influenced tons of movies after it. It's solely responsible for the dark edgy phase hollywood went through that Guardians has just recently broken.

the 3d imax meme

Quotable lines, memorable scenes, references in other media. Think about Titanic and how many times people have referenced:
>I'm the king of the world
>The nude sketch scene
>Dropping the necklace into the sea
and there's probably a few more I can't remember right now

What will the fallout be if the Avatar movies flop? Surely with there being about 3 of them coming out the budgets overall will be pushing for a billion. I'm hoping everyone has lost interest because it'd be funny as fuck

It's still a lasting impact if 3D is still an option. The reason most movies have a 3D option nowadays is simply because Avatar did so well with it.

because it was just a glorified tech demo
like the star citizen of the film world

Not disagreeing, but he was asking for capeshit that made a cultural impact. TDK made a huge cultural impact. Everyone had that one weird edgy friend that liked the Joker's character a bit too much.

Star Wars was exactly this way too until the Expanded Universe happened.

Learn your pop culture history. Avatar will become a pop culture staple if and only if the sequels turn out great.

its just dances with wolves in imax, fun to watch but no actual cultural value

it was world of warcraft the movie: you had an avatar, which was a tall blue dude, you were treehuggers fighting a completely different civilization, you had flying mounts, etc

that was popular at the time, it felt fresh, but the story was so bland its impossible to remember, plausibility is necessary for something to be actually good

avatar was not plausible at all, because one orbital bombardment would have erased pocahantas without any surface recon required

Because it's not 2011 anymore. I would say Avatar was relevant longer than Force Awakens. People who were 10 when avatar came out think it left no impact.

>underestimating the chink box office factor
they love that shit

Name 56 impacts

>gentlemen, it has been a privilege to shitpost with you

Avatar 2 will make force awakens money

It was the story of fucking Pocahontas you shit

"white man goes native" is a really fucking old trope.

>Quotable lines, memorable scenes, references in other media
tell me one post 2005 movie that had any of these

abatap is the highest grossing movie because it was in cinemas for almost a year, not because it was good.

>#1 movie of all time that changed cinema forever
>zero impact on pop culture
0/10 you're just butthurt

>never go full retard

???

It literally didnt

ok? that doesn't disagree with what I said, I even used the word pocahantas

the dude asked why it wasn't remembered, and I said that it isn't plausible

I almost forgot about butthurt haters, I've been here too long

And no one knows it was Avatar. If you went up to some random person off the street and asked, "what movie sparked the 3D craze?" they would never say it was thanks to James Cameron. To any random person off the street, the 3D craze happened unexpectedly and as far as they're concerned it would have happened anyways; and they're right, it would have happened no matter what. The fact that a supremely bland movie like Avatar could prove that 3D is profitable means that any movie with a lot of CGI and vamped up visual EFX, independent of quality story or otherwise, could have accomplished it.

Avatar was not the once in a lifetime key to this style of cinema.

>almost forgot
0/10

nah hes right though. its one of the most vapid films ever made

Wasn't Gone With The Wind in cinemas even longer and re-released there multiple times?

I don't get it? I wasn't trying to quote him

I stopped reading after I read "warcraft"

Superbad

>And
>Here
>we
>go
You don't know what you've done

so you don't understand that it was a photocopy of world of warcraft?

1. It was already just an amalgamation of famous works

2. Its big draw was its visuals, not its plot or characters. Technology progresses quick enough that it wasn't so amazing for very long.

It was still the film that sparked it, anyway. It being a vapid film doesn't change the impact it had on the industry of the 2010s.

>billion in the bank with a brand new concept and IP
>ever EVER doubting based Jim

most cinemas had to buy expensive new equipment to do the 3D shit. I imagine there's still some residual contract issue that basically locks studios into producing 3D content

How is the idea of using an "avatar" exclusive to WoW?

Martha!

4 sequels tho

Who gives a shit about any of this?

>$400176459 in 1939 has the same purchasing power as $6,145,122,323.61 in 2009.

James Cameron just knows what people like. People want to see something that wouldn't be the same if they saw it at home. Most people didn't have IMAX 3D or a sound system in 2009, so they wanted to see the film as an "experience". Seeing it on your smartphone lessens that experience much more. Gravity is another example of a shallow film riding on special effects and gimmicks.

Reminder that there are people
On this board
RIGHT NOW
That think Avatar 2 : The Avataring will flop
Let that sink in.

The fuck?

Name one modern flick that had any real impact on the world

So the only quotes you remember are the ones that are ironically good? got it

It has been referenced on other sci fi works, mostly vidya. I think it's one of those things that "nerds" got attached with and developed a fanbase but avoided the geek culture shitfest (for now).

t. apparently never been on Sup Forums, or the internet before today.

there's substance, but it's all been told in Pocahontas and Dances with wolves. All that's left of Avatar are 3D glasses

Spotlight, made everyone conscious about the sickening crime that happens inside the academy.

It is one of the most influential movies ever made in terms of impact on the medium itself, it'll have more presence in the history books than any other movie released this century.

but
it was referenced all over the place when it was new

the 3d craze seems to come and go every 10 years or so. you had it in the mid 90s then before that in the mid 80s then once again in the 00s

>continuing to go full retard

>Spotlight
jewish propaganda

>Implying anything from Titanic isn't purely ironically good

If you want to move the goal post you at least have to allow one to still exist after you've moved it user.

>not reading the entire post

But it wasn't though

As much as I dislike Avatar this is a stupid thing to say.

Tons of shows/movies have referenced Avatar and it was pretty much single handedly responsible for proving 3D was profitable and making it a standard

Lord of the Rings did the mocap stuff in a major motion picture prior to Avatar. 3D didn't legitimately effect anything, it just caused more studios to grub more money. The only significant effect Avatar had on filn was introduce a seedy business practice.

The only quote i can remember from the whole movie is "i see you" and that's only because the last time this came up i spent a bunch of energy trying to remember.

What impact? My claim was that the current 3D craze existed at the precise moment it was going to since the technology was there. In 30 years from now technology will be capable of an even bigger spectacle, but will you be there accrediting whatever follows to the first movie to make a lot of money with it? People will see movies that are nothing but cheap and brainless blockbusters. In other words, technology pushes the sales, not the director or whatever story is underneath.

Avatar doesn't get credit because it doesn't deserve it. The fact that we're debating this shows how pathetic Avatar is. No one is looking back saying "Wow, this is JUST like Avatar!" except you and your interpretation of the world.

Really though, is there anything to refute this?

Just added "people who say cultural impact" to my list of people to shoot behind the head when the big racial war will start

That question actually made me think

Avatar aired 2009. It was a movie about a guy abandoning his race for a relationship of another race while being persecuted by the evil white haired blue eyed white man. It was and still is the most seen movie ever.
Racial conflicts, while being in a coma for at least a couple decades before that, started seriously intensifying after about 2010-11 and have now peaked with no signs whatsoever of de-escalating. The huge majority of movies used to be white cast with a rare PoC here and there, but after 2010, all movies suddenly started forcing token PoC of as many races as possible because apparently people are now getting mad at movies who do not do that for some weird reason

If the Matrix, a movie that isn't even in the top 50 grossing movies list, can have such a cultural impact to the extent that millions of people now actually believe that we're in a simulation, then what can the top grossing movie achieve?

forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2017/02/21/eight-years-on-avatar-is-finally-having-a-cultural-impact/

what now? do we listen to a tweet or to a forbes article?

People DID reference it back when it came out, like 7 fucking years ago.