Why is every movie these days '1080p' but it is only half the screen? These black bars annoy the fuck out of me...

Why is every movie these days '1080p' but it is only half the screen? These black bars annoy the fuck out of me. I dont wanna watch a 1920x800 movie resolution because it doesn't fit on either my tv or monitor.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fucking shitty how they advertise movies as 1080p but then it's not even 1920x1080 it's just some shitty 1920x800 resolution. Unless you try to find movies that have like 3 seeds and it takes days to download you are fucked. Is my tv that old? It's just a full HD one.

mom get off the internet and finish making my brekkie

Because it's supposed to look more "cinematic"

>tfw you have been sold generations of tvs as "widescreen" only for them to switch to 21:9

>sacrificing vertical resolution in the format 99% of your audience will view your work because you like to feel that your making a 50s cinemascope epic with your digital camcorder

im not getting it

is this supposed to be an improvement? is it like what every movie does or is it just that the uploaders make it this resolution so the filesize is smaller?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

yes I know it's called Aspect Ratio thank you very much but what is your point

>1.77:1 or 1.78:1 (16:9) HD video std.; U.S. digital broadcast TV std.

>1.85:1 A common US widescreen cinema standard

>1.43:1 IMAX motion picture film format

>Univisium 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 A current widescreen cinema standard

Is this getting through to you yet.

16:9 is your friend

but are new tv's other aspect ratio now? Aren't tv's 1920x1080 anymore? How about 4k tv's?

Does everyone have those black bars?

TVs are designed to show TV series. When the TV series standard was 4:3, TVs were 4:3. The TV series standard is now 16:9. So tvs are 16:9.

Please remember that tv also broadcasts sports, and all sport is shot at 16:9.

Cinema can do what the fuck they want. And it does. And films can have whatever aspect ratios they want. They have mostly settled on 2.40:1. Audiences like this in theaters too. Do remember that cinema does not give a single shit about how it looks on tv. That's why bluray mastering is still in such a shitty state. That's why HDBits encoders still need to fix so much and color correct the garbage releases studios shit out.

It's about priorities. TVs cater to television. Films cater to cinema.

So you guys have those shitty black bars too when downloading movies?

Because they're shot with projectors in mind which can seamlessly scale to any aspect ratio.

Stick to tv if you want content that perfectly fits a standard display

Don't want black bars? Stump up for a 21:9 TV, with that ratio movies should fill the screen without them.

ok and then what if I want to watch a movie that is 1920x1080?

Unless it's a TV movie there aren't any since they're all filmed in 2.39:1, unless you want to squash the image.

Watch Avengers or the 2009 Sherlock Holmes.

Watch Game of Thrones

Of course we do. There's no point complaining about it not "filling the screen REEEE".

And really there is a simple solution to your problem. Buy a projector. That'll output it to whatever ratio you want without any of those pesky black bars.

If you cannot afford a good one one or do not have the space to use one in your house then you have bigger things to be concerned about than tvs and black bars.

>projector