Reminder this scene was an actual model they flooded with water and pressurized air from the side doors

Reminder this scene was an actual model they flooded with water and pressurized air from the side doors

BASED PRACTICAL EFFECTS CAMERON

neat

It still looks kind of dated. Maybe it's the lighting.

Dated as in 1912?

Another real model they split in half

No, dated as in that it looks like a film made in the 90s.
Here's an example of a film made in the 90s that still looks like it was released yesterday

What film is this?

That's because Heat used new cameras

Friday the 13th looks good

sauce?
the editing style looks very 2010s

Cameron has weird passion for diving and decompression chamber. Making Abyss was not enough for him he has to go on and on

there are people on tv who havent seen Heat

>sauce?
look at this underaged faggot, doesn't recognize heat.

he loves going underwater

there are people on this board who have never lived in a house with VHS tapes in them

It's motion control.
And generally speaking when they have miniatures with water in motion, you don't really want to use water. It doesn't move right at that scale and looks fakey fake. Instead they use alcohol, its got less surface tension, so in scale it behaves more like water should.

Heat - one of the greatest heist films of the 20th century. The street shootout scene later in the movie is legendary.

Nah, if it was released today, it would add a bunch of gratuitous slo-mo as each cop died and fade out the sound to play some ironic 90s song over it all. Then Kilmer would make some quip about how the cops were red, white and blue now.

>Heat - one of the greatest heist films of the 20th century.
LOL.

>tripfag
>doesn't like Heat
confirmed for double faggot

>a FAL
>a full auto AR-15 not loaded with tacticool crap

Those were better times.

F A L
A
L

IIRC right the crew uses a load of Galil's for the bank heist.

why did he shoot? i always got the feeling he was just insane, a little unhinged

he didnt like being fucked with

Something about the doors always looked CG to me.

if i recall theres actually behind the scenes video of that scene being shot, and its all model work

They're practical.
It's a miniature. They're using motion control cameras shooting at higher speeds to hide the scale.

All the background stuff (past the catwalks) is a miniature

the fucking swagger on yer man walking out to the captain

looks like shitty animation

They look weightless like cgi and they all come loose too easily

Say whatever you want
titanic is a great goddamn movie

They're miniatures made out of balsa wood designed to get knocked off the hinges.
I don't know how many takes they were able to do with the set up. For most people I'd assume one-and-done, but this is cameron. I can see him doing 15 takes until the doors came off "just right."

Can't wait for the Avatar sequels to be 100% CGI garbage

I think I've only seen it once since it was in the theaters, does it still hold up?

Another neat composite shot, the entire room in the first pan shot is a model that was blown up to make the people seem like theyre in there

The CGI people like in are very noticable now on rewatches. Fortunately there isnt too many times where they're prominant

thanks to all the practical effects, most of it holds up well

BBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP

I know it's all practical, it just looks fake. Would look a lot better if the doors didn't all fly off in the exact same way

Compare this to the prequels. Clones and Revenge especially, where they did the same thing, compositing miniatures onto green screen. It looks so fucking bad in those movies everyone just assumes its bad CGI.
I wonder if there's a timeline where instead of getting salty and competitive Lucas approached cameron to direct one of the prequels.
Cameron likes working non union as much as Lucas, and they're both such catty bitches that they would probably end up being some kind of obnoxious power duo.

examples of these scenes? The only thing I keep seeing the the shot of yoda mace and obi wan in the big temple with columns that looks like bad CGI

>arena on the bug planet
>the crater planet in sith where obi wan fights grevious
>sheev's office
>the senate

He's a serial killer psychopath wannabe cowboy.
He enjoys torturing and killing people. This was very well established in the movie.

>Lucas approaches competent writers to write the prequels and James Cameron to co-direct.
>Instead of Jar Jar, pod racing, and politics we get a three-film war epic about the Old Republic, the Jedi, and the Clone Wars where Anakin's story is one of a fresh, young, idealistic padawan slowly ground down by the harsh realities of war, forced to make one compromise and cross one line after another, all the while Palpatine whispering into his ear and Obi-Wan trying his best to be a friend and mentor and console him that their sacrifices are for the greater good, until by the third film all he's lost all sight of the Jedi way and cares only about ending the fighting at any cost.
I hate living in this timeline.

thanks ill check it out

Well, at leas it's not as bad as how the sequels ended up the sequels compared to what they could have been

Still one of the best scenes in any movie, and for memory, there wasn't any damn score playing behind it. Just the breaking of the ship, the screams and the splash. Holds up well.

If you wanna see that kind of stuff watch The Clone Wars animated series... it's got its share of bad episodes, but on the whole it's a damned compelling series where characters like Anakin and Obi-Wan and even the Clones go through real and engaging arcs.