Is this a thing in other countries? Veterans wearing hats of what war they served in? I see it a lot...

Is this a thing in other countries? Veterans wearing hats of what war they served in? I see it a lot. I don't know what to think of it. Sometimes I feel they're just fishing for the "Thank you for your service" which makes them feel good about themselves. But on the other hand, maybe they just want some recognition for what they have done.

Other urls found in this thread:

baka.com.au/national/australian-of-the-year-2016-finalist-catherine-mcgregor-to-leave-military-to-shine-light-on-transgender-issues-20160118-gm8cx1.html
adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/sex-change-and-breast-enhancements-for-australian-defence-force-troops-hits-640000/news-story/118d6b2b7d645b8536b79411344fac26
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Other people wear full uniform

I dont think I've ever seen one. Military culture isnt really a thing here though.

i have never seen anyone in military uniform ever

That's a little bit too much in my opinion. They're just full of themselves at that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the people who wear those hats never served.

Don't worry, they are probably dead now

The 'thankyou for your service's thing tends to irritate vets. It's kinda patronizing.

My shirts or stickers on my truck usually just spark conversation with other vets. Even wihout knowing them, we can talk like we were there together.

I have never worn a hat that says anything. I have never worn a shirt that says anything. The few times I have had no choice, I turned the shirt inside out.

I walk around wondering why people have shirts and tattoos and hats and shoes that say shit.

What the fuck is wrong with everyone?

I have a buddy who has a hat that proudly displayed that he's a veteran. I toured with him and I fucking hate being around him in public when he wears it. I have to ask him to leave it any time we go out.

I just want to be left alone. I didn't go into the military for some kind of "honor" or "fame" so I can have fat asses come up to me in restaurants to thank me for whatever reason. I went into the military because I was a dumb fuck, needed money, and knew I had no marketable skills beyond a functioning body.

The worst is when other vets see your hat and come up asking all sorts of questions just so they can get a chance to brag about themselves. I've had grown men come up and literally brag about having to see their friends die or how many people they killed (or, rather, shot at but never saw). I don't fucking care what you've done or seen. I got out for a reason so leave me alone.

All in all, the military culture is cancer and most people don't understand just how superficial and vain it is."I'm a vet, I must be a savior of all peoples!" "I thanked him for his service, I must be noble and generous!"

Yea because your country is shit and has 0 military accomplishments whatsoever.

CTR get out

From my experience people that actually didn't really do much other than sit around usually can't stop talking about their time in the military, while the people that actually fought in wars never or very rarely want to talk about it

What is annoying is the Vietnam vets who wear those I SERVED IN VIETNAM t-shirts and caps and other paraphenelia but never saw any action because they were in a supply company and basically glorified warehouse workers

I have one, rarely wear it.

I only wear it:
>occasionally when I go to the range to shoot (lots of vets go)
>Veterans Day if I'm going to some event or outing with my old Iraq War buddies

probably because everyone from WW2 is dead

veterans are insufferable after that anyway

I haven't seen the hats… but they give special license plates to veterans.

I'm not sure what one has to do to be qualified as a 'veteran'… just be discharged honourablly… be posted overseas… or have at least one limb missing?

>Dealing with asshole
>im a veteran you know

Not necesarily hats, but medals on their jackets is common. Norwegian war hero Gunnar Sondsteby in pic.

literally you just have to have been in the military and not be dishonorably discharged

so dont give vets any attention because you don't know if they were just on guard at some base in italy or actually taking morters from terrorists or something

lol this guy.. couldn't even hold a patch of desert or a stip of defoliated jungle.. refused to declare war on hitler until he did so first.. refused to fight a single battle until the soviets were in eastern germany.. still occupies germany and japan to this day

Those hats are fucking hideous, when are the Iraq War snapbacks coming out.

My grandpa has a 30th infantry Divison World war 2 veteran hat, wears it sometimes and sometimes, always wears it on memorial day, july 4th, and veterans day

95% of service members never see combat. 90% don't even serve in combat roles but Americans are too stupid to clue in. Half the people you seen with these hats were desk jockies and technicians that were safer than you and I are right now.

I think they're cool desu.

We need to go back to giving generals triumphs and letting troops bring back war trophies.

I'm active duty but I'd never associate myself with campaigns where war crimes were committed. It's just bad optics.

meh i actually respect vietnam vets because they were drafted; they didnt choose to go. they could have dodged the draft tho i guess

>campaigns where war crimes were committed
Name a major campaign where they weren't

>vietnam and desert storm/iraq war veterans

The millennials of the veteran crowd.

They are always the loudest, too.

They're wearing suits with their Berets. That is not not full military uniform.

Exactly my point.

Former servicemen fishing for (you)s.

I'm in the Navy

Fuck me I know that feel all to well.

But yeah, only faggots wear that shit here. Military is pretty much laughed at because they have trannies now.

baka.com.au/national/australian-of-the-year-2016-finalist-catherine-mcgregor-to-leave-military-to-shine-light-on-transgender-issues-20160118-gm8cx1.html

adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/sex-change-and-breast-enhancements-for-australian-defence-force-troops-hits-640000/news-story/118d6b2b7d645b8536b79411344fac26

>"Backs, Sargent Sissy coming through"

>maybe they just want some recognition for what they have done.
what? Blindly follow orders? big fucking deal

>iraq war
>war
HAHAHAHHA what war? Invading a country to steal oil is WAR?

From the ones I know it's more of a way to reconize fellow vets. Never seen that hat though

It's called pride you fucking pussy.
Do something with your life, and you might feel it one day.

There's no good answer. What are we supposed to say, you're welcome? No, because we're done with that shit and you'll never trick us into it again.

I usually go with "it's an honor to serve" and then scurry away as fast as I can.

They will find those WMD's one day.

Civilians are just as self-important and obnoxious

>November rolls around
>donate $1,000 to the Royal Canadian Legion like I do every single year
>don't wear a poppy because I don't want to prick my clothes and they're designed to fall off anyway
>get shit from fucking everyone
>all they did was drop a fucking dime in a tin can and act haughty as fuck because they're wearing a fucking pin

You guys really don't understand the burden that less then 1% of the US population holds on their shoulders. Between securing US interest overseas or protecting you faggots to comfortably rage on the internet, there's very little holding everything together. These hats are more a reminder that there are people who have volunteered to fight for you in a war they didn't chose.

They don't go around in public daily like that. It's generally reserved for special events, like remembrance day.

Also the million medals are for people that couldn't make it (i.e died) to be there in spirit, rather than stolen valour.

My father served in vietnam and is a combat vet. He never ever has worn a hat like that, his old uniform, or even gone to a VFW or Legion Hall.

I asked him once why he didn't go hang out at a VFW with other vets and he said "Why would I want to go listen to a bunch of lies from a bunch of assholes from the quartermaster's battalion who probably never heard a gunshot in combat in their life? I did what I was supposed to do and came home and moved on like I was supposed to"

So don't feel alone.

I wish he would tell me more about what he experienced before he dies though. He's getting up in years and all he has ever told me is a few funny little stories about weird/funny shit he saw. Nothing about the bad stuff. He never talked about it.

>that video where the guy gets in a cops face and shouts 'US ARMY BRO'
>cop grabs him and slams him to the ground
>'us army? I was in the marines' while holding this dudes face in the pavement

Nigga you just went full retard.
Canadians actually have a pretty bad ass military history, as they routinely got sent to the worst battlefields as part of the British Empire. They served with huge distinction in both WWI and WWII (and they were in both wars longer than the US to boot), they are consistently one of the first countries to join in American wars (they were in Korea, Vietnam, and both Iraqs), and in Afghanistan they held the most dangerous part of the country for like 5 years with little to no US support.

They also played a major role in burning down our fucking capital in the War of 1812.

Canada is literally our best military ally.

>Vietnam vets didn't choose to go
The draft ratio was actually higher for WWII than Vietnam but that ruins the "muh unjust war" narrative the left wants to put on that war. Around 60-70% of Vietnam service personnel were volunteers, compared with around 45% in WWII and 35% in Korea.

On top of that, is was almost impossible to end up in a combat MOS in Vietnam as a draftee, for obvious fucking reasons. 90% of Vietnam veterans who were actually in combat were volunteers.

China got most of Iraq's oil during the US occupation actually. We invaded to destabilize the Middle East. I thought that was common knowledge.

My grandfather served in WW2 and my dad was a huge pussy boomer so he never served, but he always gets up in arms about any perceived insult to the armed forces. Since joining I've shut him down so many times. Probably one of the only perks of serving is being idiots to STFU because they don't know what they're talking about.

>ID related

Veterans serve the Jew and only the Jew. They fight for the Jew and die for the Jew.

we werent in vietnam tho

To clarify, small segments of Canadian special forces did participate in a number of (often still classified) operations.

I didn't mean to imply that the entire Canadian military was involved the way they were in Iraq and Afghanistan.

they wear it to signal to othe rveterans.

most of thes emen, went to war, mades friends, and lost them, either to death, or literally lost conatct through the confusion of war.

most served with eahcother, recognize eachother, and want to meet eachother.

they couldnt give two shits about "thank yous". theyve been hearing it for 60 years. what they want are the friends they served with and lost.

This right here. Thank you.

>Grandad always struck up convos with other vets

Its just an easy way to notice other vets and strike up a conversation. Older vets do it for the attention because they are probably lonely.

Those hats are a little too showy for me.

I agree, I just have a small unit patch decal on my car, met a few guys from my unit locally.