Ringworld optioned by Amazon

>Ringworld optioned by Amazon
>Childhood's End and Hyperion on SyFy
>Bladerunner 2049
>pic related

how do you guys feel about the recent resurgence of Science Fiction in tv and movies?

The expanded isn't very good

>Childhood's End and Hyperion on SyFy
No one who's read either of those would watch the syfy channel.

I like it, but shit based on shit books like Childhood's End shouldn't be allowed. People who hold the copyrights also need to be more critical about who they allow to use their shit.

Are you saying Childhood's End is shit, or that they shouldn't make movie stuff out of it because it is good?
I like the book. The writing isn't amazing, but it's an interesting concept.

>Are you saying Childhood's End is shit,

It is. The plot is pretty general (the mental Borg want us to join them or die), the way the people react, the emotional time travel bullshit ("lol don't get weird" - Satan), all of it is trash. Oh and there's the world-wide child thing where they are basically having an orgy. Then again Arthur C. Clarke was a pederast.

>>Childhood's End and Hyperion on SyFy

Which one will last the longest before the axe falls?

>three things is a RESURGANCE!

KYS milennial

>Ringworld optioned by Amazon
I didn't know.

>resurgence
>cancelled Dark Matter over shity Killjoy

he may count STD and Orvell too (although some say they are shit)

There isn't a resurgence, this decade has LITERALLY been the worst decade for science fiction movies in cinema history. Where is the 2010's Star Wars, Alien, Matrix, War of the Worlds? The only SF movies released are terrible remakes/reboots/unwanted sequels. Shit, the last big SF movie I can even think of that was remotely good was Interstellar, and the last legitimately good one might just have been District 9.

it is very good actually

>The plot is pretty general (the mental Borg want us to join them or die)
You haven't read it, have you?
The aliens came to lead humanity to the next stage, where we become a super-being of interconnected minds, which they can't.

> the emotional time travel bullshit ("lol don't get weird" - Satan)
What

>Oh and there's the world-wide child thing where they are basically having an orgy.
What

What about that new orson scott card show Extinct? I couldn't find it on xfinity though...

Also there's the movie coming out called Annihilation, looks interesting. But yeah I'm pretty fucking happy about the sci-fi resurgence

Interstellar is putrid shit, and District 9 is meh.
The last really great Scifi was Moon, in 2009.

>Ex Machina
>Arrival
>Gravity
>The Martian
>Bladerunner 2049 looks amazing

granted, there's a shitton of terrible 100+ million dollar scifi blockbusters, but at the 20-60 mil range there's plenty of classics

>Hyperion on SyFy

Ah shit

All of those sucked dick, user.
Ex Machina had some okay parts.

sounds great any cast for Hyperion ?
childhood end sound too much for syfy to handle
And amazon will probably do a good job of ringworld

Orville
STD
The Expanse
Bladerunner: Real Human Bean
Cyberpunk 2077
Ringworld
Hyperion
Childhood's End
The Last Ship
Westworld
Stranger Things
The 100
Legion
The Gifted
Colony
Electric
Dimension 404
Reddit and Memey
The OA
Man in the High Castle
12 Monkeys
Hard Sun
Timeless
Travellers
Time After Time
Salvation
Beyond
Extinct
Humans
Zoo

They're not all good, but there are a fuckton recently.

Has there been any news about hyperion?

Wow, I already forgot about Westworld. The ending was a bit shit, but it was genuinely quite nice , all in all.

>videogames
>not even scifis (Legion, Stranger things)
>claims it's indeed resurgence of scifi

/Comfy/

>Childhood's End

One of the more depressing SF books I've read. I'm not sure why they picked it. The series is gonna end on the biggest down note ever

>Legion, Stranger Things
>not sci-fi

Thanks for letting us all know you have no idea what you're talking about, user.

s2 is pretty shit

>No one who's read either of those would watch the syfy channel.

A succinct but high quality observation.

Trying to find the next big thing now that capeshit has run its course and Disney bought star wars.
Same reason why they're doing all the live action diversified anime remakes.

I am enjoying STD pretty much too. Standard star trek is just so lame in my opinion, never liked it. Of course it would be better if they didn't call it star trek at all, but I guess the laziness of writing a new story plus the fame the name has weighted more. It helps bring in viewers too.

Holy shit taste
>gravity
>the martian
>arrival
>good
Ex machina was good but not science fiction, just an adaptation of Bluebeard, and I'll withhold judgment on bladerunner

I really like the new Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams series. (I read all the novells, though not all short stories, I really dislike the Blade Runner movie but only because I read the book it was based on).
It really depends, Hyperion I have read a bit and plan on reading in November... I guess the serie would suck after reading it.

WHAT!?

>This thread has me starting FallOut New vegas again.

Also colony. I like it.

On the one hand, I'm happy because it's more sci-fi.
On the other, I'm disappointed because most of it is either poorly written or SJW-infested shit.

In the end, I'd say sci-fi fans eke out a narrow win on the deal.

I'm not sure how you'd make a compelling TV-show out of Hyperion. A bunch of strangers are going on a pilgrimage to some mysterious tombs which might help each with their own problems. They spend hundreds of pages each telling everyone else their story and they vary from strange to tragic to brutal.

The problem is that a direct adaptation will easily bore people if they aren't interested in the backstory currently being covered. If they try to cover several of these stories at once they'll never get anywhere since many of them are so long.

I'll give you Gravity and The Martian, they were shite, but the Arrival was great.

It's simple: make it a miniseries with each episode covering one of the tales, and have different directors for each episode. Then once shit gets real you have them all come together

Kys

yea this hyperion is made for a tv show.

How does the show compare to the books? Like where in the books is the S2 finale? I know there are 6 or 7 at this point, do the characters remain the same? Does it become more like Star Trek where the Rocinante crew start doing new missions every book?

Sounds boring. I don't think it would work for a tv adaptation at all. People don't like anthologies like this.

and don't forget British Dick