What is it about this duel that makes it the greatest in Star Wars?

What is it about this duel that makes it the greatest in Star Wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=no4SxdIIDBE
youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY#t=4m59s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>no fancy flipping around prequel bullshit. just a few force jumps and telekinesis
>that battle is deeply personal, with dramatic stakes because both Luke and the audience knows he's not on Vader's level
>swordplay is simple but intense, not just about looking EPIC. Luke is angry and wants to avenge his friends and Obi-wan, while Vader is constantly testing and toying with Luke. This is clear from their fighting styles -- Luke is aggressive but Vader controls the fight
>real consequences for the battle -- Luke is both physically maimed and emotionally defeated by the end. this way even though Luke survived it still feels like a major defeat

it's great because all the elements work for the story and it leaves our hero at a new low to rise from, while reminding us that our villain is a powerful and dangerous threat

I like it because it kind of explores a darker side to Luke. He could have ran away and sought out his friends after Vader fell off that ramp but he chose to pursue him. He’s angry with vengeance and believes he can beat Vader.. but once Vader starts throwing shit at him.. he realizes he is toast and tries his best to escape the epic cat and mouse game Vader has created. His overconfidence/arrogance was his weakness but it humbled him and made him all the more stronger in Jedi.

The emotional catharsis between father and son

The throne room duel in RotJ is better tbqfwy pham.

we were young and didn't know it was shit.

10/10
This is going to get some people

Lightasbers seem heavy and outdated, Luke doesnt really know how to fight.

His father isnt le evil villain, he tries to convert him to his side.

The backgrounds are pretty cool

this. music + palp + epic saber smashing

I wish they just made all the Star Wars movies back when, instead of waiting so long. I would pay to see both a Spielberg episode and a Lynch episode.

What do you think, Sup Forums?

I always thought Luke losing his hand was way more impactful than Vader being his father. Hamill’s scream is just so real.

You just described Anakin vs. Obi Wan from Revenge of the Sith. And I agree; their duel on Mustafar was the best duel in the series. Thank you for confirming why.

This

Rebels, despite all its faults, had the best duel.
youtube.com/watch?v=no4SxdIIDBE

It was fine till they started tarzan swinging and standing in yet more funny beeping robots and ruininh the entire fight

It’s so effective. They don’t play ANY music throughout that part. It’s quiet, ominous. You’ve spent the last ten minutes knowing that Luke isn’t going to win so you’re just waiting for that moment to hit and it happens so suddenly. Luke accidentally holds out his hand a bit longer than he shouldn’t and pow - it’s over before we know it. And the music starts playing again. Damn. Now I want to rewatch it.

Impressive.. most impressive.

So this is the power of not having a Mary Sue protagonist? Cathleen Kennedy could learn a thing or two from this.

This shot right here

youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY#t=4m59s

4m 59s if timestamp doesn't work

it's like something out of a horror movie and probably the best cinematography in Star Wars. Whoever came up with this shot was a fucking genius

What would she know about having a Mary Sue, anyways?

Why are prequelfags so desperate for approval?

This

It's between father and son