So why was Lost in translation so good?

I've never watched the movie, so I'm just curious on Sup Forums thoughts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=470HnRobKLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I've never watched the movie, so I'm just here to shitpost
The absolute state of this whole site

I've never got around to watching it either. Every time I might have an urge to, I accidentally watch the trailer or read the synopsis, it seems so slow and boring that I end up talking myself out of it.

Does Bill Murray screw younger Johansson in this?

I watched it for the first time literally only two days ago.

It is pure comfykino to be honest.

Throughout the film there's a very deliberate melancholy yet hopeful mood. The cinematography and sound track are pretty much perfect for what the film was trying to achieve.

Nope. The most they do is kiss.

It wasn't. It's a chick flick that some hipsters like to hype up for some reason.

Disappointing

I feel like if I watched this again I might want to kill myself because I've become Bill Murray but Scarlett Johansson won't even look at me and has no idea I want to bone her

- beautiful photography
- highlights unique 21st century quirkiness of Japan
- narrative is a "big fish in a small pond" inversion on the tourist experience
- Bill Murray

shoegaze/new romantic soundtrack is one of the all time greats.

it's a mood movie, rather than a narrative one. beautiful stuff.

Among my most favourite favourite movies of all fucking time.

I love it.

Watch it.

Absurd Japanese gags.

murray's depression comes through the screen.

shooting mostly on location adds a lot atmosphere. I've been to most of the places they were at in the movie.

ScarJo is absolutely fucking prime. Plus she isn't playing a stiff monotone stoic. like she has done since Ironman 2.

Nothing really sticks to the mind in this shallow attempt at portraying "alienation." Yes, Bill Murray is cool and witty, Scarlett Johansson is gorgeous, the music is good and Tokyo looks otherworldly, but you can't hang your movie on these surface pleasures without any real ideas or vision and have it succeed as much more than banal eye candy; designer alienation, ennui chicâ„¢.

When it comes to painting such themes with actual emotional or intellectual heft, let's just say that Coppola is no Antonioni or Kar-Wai (two of her self-professed influences). This is a superficially pretty but achingly dull and empty film with nothing of substance to express, and I can only suppose its mass appeal rests largely on the shimmering city, mediocre songs and lead actors it captures, all of which impart a certain built-in pathos mostly separate from the text of the film itself.

This is ITMFL for plebs. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.

it's literally nothing like ITMFL or LSIL

what is even the connection there?

The same reason reservoir dogs is so good, a film makers early project with limited budget and a very limited time to shoot with a cast that was assembled at the last minute

This gives a real honest feel to everything because a lot of it was impromptu/genuine, they didn't have a long time to plan stuff out AND they didn't even have permission to film in some locations, they just did it and left before they got busted.

That explains the style and feel of the movie, as for the substance imo there's 3 other reasons. 1 - The director has a strong relationship with the city and made the movie as a personal thing, so there's real feeling there. It's her trying to capture a feeling from her past on film 2 - A good basic script with an excellent cast, young scarjew who's inexperience was portrayed as being reserved combined with Bill Murray being such a veteran. The way Sophia gave us such a contrast between the two varied skill sets was unique.

3 - this is a biggie, they didn't fuck. Imo two characters having sex is one of true cheapest cliches there is, directors use it as a shortcut/easy way to forge a connection between two characters. When two characters are intimately involved over a period of time but DONT fuck, you have to go deeper into the relationship. It takes more effort to build a relationship.

I'm sorry but you're not earning 2 million recording some wisky commercial

It presented well the banality of adult life and the overwhelming feeling of excitement when something new comes in to break up the drudgery, and was clever in showing this from both main characters perspectives.

This general sentiment is very relatable, which in turn causes you to form a strong connection to both characters.

it simply managed to display emotions somewhat spontaneously, with very few cliches

Why the fFUCK do movies add these unrealistic things that will never happen to me and only serve to fuel my anguish

Well, you could always tell her

As someone who is on the fence about watching it, does it have a happy ending at least?

yes and no, which is what makes it so great. it's bittersweet. inconclusive yet satisfying in a way that few endings are.

Ok, downloading now, I'll try it out tonight.

But I swear on me mum, if this ends up making me cry, I'm going to put a hex on you to infest your crotch with the fleas of a thousand camels, and make your arms too short to scratch.

I like it when I saw it for the first time. Then I traveled to Japan for work and cant watch it again, since I realized the issue of the the main characters is not the isolation/lack of comunication, they are just stupid assholes.

Yea there's a full penetration scene that goes on for 20 minutes at the end. It was a bit over the top to include the ass play with Bill but whatever

lmfao when the gerbil crawled out of his ass and scarlett nearly fainted
>"hey! i see you've met punxsutawney phil!"

Bill Murray's best role
SJo at her prime
Director's best movie by far

Watch the movie you worthless cocksucker.

youtube.com/watch?v=470HnRobKLc