What is the Twilight Zone episode that really got under your skin, Sup Forums? Don't worry, you can tell me

What is the Twilight Zone episode that really got under your skin, Sup Forums? Don't worry, you can tell me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramma_(The_Twilight_Zone)
youtube.com/watch?v=7CqGRubAW2M
youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>the one where the pawn shop owner and his wife find the genie
>the one where an outlaw about to be hanged gets whisked away in a time machine and goes insane in the future
and my personal favorite
>the one where the guy replaces everything at his factory and his factory replaces him (Brain Center at Whipples)

The one where the guy meets Death and signs his life away for a wish. He knows the time and date of his death and knowingly lives with it. He was a lonely but loved guy who the neighborhood liked. Death comes back to collect him and it kind of dawns on him how short life is. There's no happy ending, he doesn't trick death or get out of it. He dies. Then Death goes on to someone else.

>the mask
>the lonely
>where is everybody-first and best episode if you are a neet

>To Serve Man
>It's a cookbook!

Haven't watched it since I was a kid, but I remember the episode with the doll coming to life and the one where there was only one guy left in the world.

Why the FUCK did my 5th grade teacher show us that episode?

Never seen an episode of the twilight zone. Are any of the series still worth watching?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramma_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Most episodes definitely still hold up today, some don't so much. It's spooky season mang, what have you got to lose?

the one with the doll freaked me out when i was a kid

I had to go down the stairs in the dark each nigh before bed, and I thought about that every time.

That one where the U-Boat commander has to experience being on the ship he blew up every night for the rest of eternity.

it' still among the best television ever made

thanks m8.
Are the revivals worth watching or just the original series?

the one when the kids enter the upside down.

I can't speak for the revivals, but the original series has so many episodes you'll probably be set for the duration of october I'd guess.
The Twilight Zone movie is actually worth a watch after the series though. Nothing amazing, but they did some classic episodes justice in an anthology film.

A Quality of Mercy

It was a pretty brave episode for when it was done, and not without reason.

I cant watch the midnight sun without getting spooked the fuck out cause its something that could possibly happen.

if anyone wants to see it.

youtube.com/watch?v=7CqGRubAW2M

scared the crap out of 10 year old me

I was watching it on a very hot day. I could relate to it.

The Lonely is literally my life.
I think about that one where the guy becomes immortal and then goes to jail for life a lot too.

That's an Outer Limits episode.

The Howling Man. Most of The Twilight Zone was about doing the right thing and how the innocent man is crushed unjustly. They're parables about having a conscience.

But then there's The Howling Man, where the poor imprisoned bum may actually turn out to be the devil. And you may spend the rest of your life cursed to track him down because you showed him a little mercy.

That's a parable too, and it's very depressing.

>tfw have horrible job working for dick boss to bring home shit pay to naggy wife
>all you want to do is get a minute for yourself to read
>survive nuclear fallout coincidentally, think you have nothing to live for anymore
>realize you finally have all the time in the world to do what you really love, which is read books
>your fucking glasses break
>''Thats not fair... I had all the time in the world... thats not fair''

Every time
youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

>how to cook for 40 humans

>>That's a parable too, and it's very depressing.

Elaborate.

Thank you for your insight

Walking Distance. Twilight Zone had such a conscience that it's one of the few shows where saccharine sweet episodes feel very genuine. Like the Christmas episode or when the old man makes a deal with death to save the little girl.

Don't show evil mercy

Easily the creepiest yet cheesy at the same time

>Ancient folk saying: "You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long." Ask Brother Jerome. Ask David Ellington. They know, and they'll go on knowing to the end of their days and beyond - in the Twilight Zone.

I think it's basically that as soon as one evil is destroyed or neutralized another will take it's place

Basically the way that TZ episodes get structured is twofold. Either you watch someone get screwed over who didn't deserve it, and thus hopefully learn to better recognize injustice when you see it.

Or you watch some jerk get his comeuppance. The ol' pride cometh before the fall hubris story.

The Howling Man kind of turns that on its head. A well-reasoned man comes across superstitious monks who seem to have scapegoated a man for being the devil and locked him up under shit conditions. The main character has to listen to him howl throughout the night. He's in pain.

So our character does the right thing, by any account, and frees the poor suffering prisoner. And for his troubles he finds that he has let loose the devil.

For a show that always had a strong moral backbone, and a writer like Rod Serling who was never afraid to pull you by the nose to make a point about decency, it's always struck me as a bleak episode.

Man do I love the Twilight Zone.

My favorite episode is probably Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?

>The one where the earth is moving increasingly closer to the sun every day
>Turns out it was all a dream and the Earth is actually moving increasingly further from the sun

You have to watch it because its the uncomfortable aesthetics that fuck with you.

>The oil paintings melting
Defz one of the shows best visuals

yep

Midnight Sun was one of my favorite episodes because to me, it felt the most real. When it comes to episodes that get under my skin, I think they would be A Stop at Willoughby and Walking Distance.

Endora from Bewitched as a giant humsnoid alien even though the toy spaceship is campy it gives me the chills with the setup
fairly silent episode too
Mickey Rooney as the incredible growing jockey

My favorite is the one where the bus is due to a downed bridge and the commuters try to find out who the alien is. Generic answer, but I thought it was one of the most memorable.

would have to be the first episode I ever saw which was the stop watch that stopped time.

Its not a particularly great episode maybe mid tier but it was the first time I saw a show end on a bleak low note with no fitting resolution and left the protagonist to wander alone in a world where nothing moved.

for more recent episodes when the sky was opened is a really unnerving episode seeing the universe slowly consume a guy while all memory of him just disappears is 2 spooky

50% of the eps are GOAT television
40% are great television
10% are meh to shit

so you can literally jump in anywhere and still land on a good episode dont be discouraged after 2 bad eps tho cause there are a few unremarkable ones but they are really a small minority of them

Pretty much what everyone else said. You can't go wrong with Twilight Zone. At their worst a few are forgettable, but the rest are some of the best TV in history and they hold up for the most part, outside of some of the monster episodes.

>Everyone remembers William Shatner for Nightmare at 20,000 feet
>nobody ever gives him credit for Nick of Time

Stop treating me like I'm retarded and let me just keep feeding pennies to this threatening machine!

even the monster episodes hold up. Invaders is one of the best episodes they made.

I always loved Nick of Time, underrated episode. Also surprised it had a good ending for the main character

I meant hold up as in costume designs and stuff like that. The gremlin on the side of the plane was good enough to scare my kids, but it's kind of silly to look at. Still loved the episodes though.

Time Enough At Last is kino.

The one where the guy is executed ad infinitum. Just seemed like one of the more cruel ones because he gets as close as possible every time, only start over.

Wax painting on a hotplate. Clever

Shadow Play? That's another one of my favorites.

>tfw no qt apocalypse gf from two
that lucky bastard bronson

>mr. henry beanus
can't help but hear mr hairy penis. wtf is wrong with me

What are some other great anthology shows?

This kind of show is my shit, I dont even care if theres a lot of stinkers out there.

Watching Night Gallery right now.

Actually came here to post that. Slow impending death from which there is no escape. Really fucked with 11 year old me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)

nope.avi

"A game of pool" Got to me - to beat the greatest, only to become a slave.

Tales from the Darkside has always been a favorite of mine since childhood.

Uh what? I don't remember that. I think what you're misremembering is the episode called "One For the Angels" and it doesn't quite go like that.

>Walking Distance
This one. Man I'm getting chills just thinking about this show

the down on his luck salesman that traded his life for the kids?

Every single episode does this to my girlfriend it's pretty funny she just leaves the room before the episodes end at this point

>Martin, I only wanted to tell you that this is a wonderful time of life for you. Don't let any of it go by without enjoying it. There won't be any more merry-go-rounds, no more cotton candy, no more band concerts. I only wanted to tell you that this is a wonderful time for you. Now. Here. That's all, Martin. That's all I wanted to tell you. God help me. That's all I wanted to tell you.

Best episode. Can't watch it without completely bursting into tears.

I also love The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street and Time Enough At Last

hello, kiddies

Sup gramps

The one episode where a movie director decapitated and crushed his lead and two child actors with a helicopter but ended up getting off scot free because he was one of God's chosen.

The one where the greedy relatives have the masks bonded to their faces. My favorite is the one where the old lady lets death into her home but that one isn't really scary.

I only ever think of Futurama when people bring up this episode.

This one is famous but when you think about it he could just go and get some dead person's glasses

My favorite is the one where the man gets trapped into repeating the last 5 seconds of his life. No matter what it was inhumanly possible for him to escape in time before he was crushed no matter how he approached the situation

With the same exact prescription eye-sight?

Alot of the episodes felt really repetitive, especially the ones where they time travel and go to another planet
Also, the best episode for me was when all those people were taken off a bus and put into a diner because some alien space ship crashed nearby and everyone starts getting paranoid

I feel like The Hitchhiker is overrated as fuck but that could just be Seinfeld effect

The one with the Astronauts who think that they crashed on Mars, but...

Yep bro let me go find some glasses in the middle of all this debris with my poor eyesight I'm sure the blast didn't shatter them ;) think before you post sweetie

I never knew it was considered overrated, what could anyone have to complain about with that episode?

The one where the astronaut starts to terrorize the town of tiny people on mars or something scared me

I'm just considering it overrated because when I checked the wiki page it said it's regarded as one of the greatest

The one with the kid that had his every wish come true disturbed me the most.
Imagine having to obey a 6 year old little shit or else he fucking erases you. I'd probably go mad and gun him down.

>I'd probably go mad and gun him down.
you'd get turned into a jack in the box. or now days you'd get turned into a fidget spinner.

that one scares the shit out of me too. the idea of some random person being given infinite power is frightening.

There's one where two astronauts return from a mission and one of them insists that there was a third astronaut. It's quite terrifying.

And When the Sky Was Opened

I think I read the story that episode was based on when I was like 11 and it horrified me.

So technically this isn't a Twilight Zone episode, it's a French film that Serling and co. featured, but An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is pure kino.

That might be my favorite episode.

Came to post this.

It aired at 11:30pm, making the "midnight transformation" a hell of a lot creepier at twelve years old.

i don't get what the point of this episode is

i don't really get what the point of this show is, either...

the episodes seem like they just present some weird stories that really make you think by setting something weird up and then not giving a satisfactory ending... this is like j.j. abrams/shyamalan shit just from the 1950s.

I think there's two versions of that episode, one has this twangy folk song in it and the other doesn't. I prefer the one without it.

I love the aliens fucking look he gives the guy when he says nothing is wrong at all or whatever.

I will not take this bait

They did a similar thing with Two where there was no real dialog. Plus Bewitched looking utterly gorgeous.

Always impressed by the concepts with some of the episodes, they did a lot you don't see on TV now and you didn't see back then, either.

Serling did an interview with Mike Wallace right before TTZ started where he tries to play Twilight Zone off as just a goofy sci-fi show. Reason being he was so tired of fighting the censors he realized he could tell the same stories he had been, but instead of racism in the south, make it prejudice on another planet, etc, and fewer people would complain.

Best christmas episode of any show ever coming through

>Always wanted to watch Twilight Zone
>My country doesn't support netflix and everywhere else is locked behind a paywall
Fuck.

Go back to watching Sam Hyde kiddo

it's honestly not bait. it just seems to have a weird mystery vibe or appeal by doing something SOOPER WEIRD and then the episode ends not having a conventional ending.

i can see why people find stuff like this compelling.

i just don't see the point of the series itself. there's nothing here but stories which subvert your expectations for the sake of subverting your expectations.

i'm just not a fan of that.

>always thought One Step Beyond was just some program that tried to capatilize off the success of the Twilight Zone
>it actually debuted before the Twilight Zone

i'm watching it right now on putlocker if that's available to you

Still spooked.

lol this pear shaped motherfucker throwin shade near me.

i attribute my love of certain episodes by calling it "the twist is depression"
theres nothing wrong, or anything to fix in Two. its just a story about two people
midnight suns twist doesnt change the story, it just adds a new layer on the end, thats even more depressing

Two is great. It's also weird to think that Charles Bronson is in it. Serling was great at getting top tier actors to be in Twilight Zone episodes.

>Serling was great at getting top tier actors to be in Twilight Zone episodes

For real. Robert Redford, Robert Duvall, Burt Reynolds (lmao), Lee Van Cleef, to name a few.

>5 Characters in Search of an Exit
Undisputed GOAT Twilight Zone episode