Whenever creator James Rolfe worked on The Angry Video Game Nerd...

Whenever creator James Rolfe worked on The Angry Video Game Nerd, he typically relied on others to provide feedback and publicity. At this stage, he usually collaborated with friend Mike Matei, whose ingratiating persona provided the mass-market aptitude that contrasted against Rolfe’s solitary exploration into nostalgia and schlock. Kevin Finn, co-director of The Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie, later stated that Matei was the one of the duo more concerned with the "bottom line" than the "artistic" side of their channel.

Matei says that he "wasn't resistant to...I mean, crazy stupid costumes, like the Joker, Cowardly Lion, Jason... did all that shit, laying on the floor with fake shit soup on my face, getting the shit beat out of me. I did all that stuff. ... I do admit to wanting to make a commercially successful video channel. I may have maybe might have complained when James tried to do something different from AVGN, without me.”

The AVGN movie was later described by Kevin Finn as "a bunt instead of a grand slam" due to an “... unnamed force that was intrinsically linked to the Cinemassacre production process.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uq14ybMBxs8
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=zbrbliGYYYc
youtube.com/watch?v=zz1xMEVkIUo
youtube.com/watch?v=sPjksAl3XRM
reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/6e5hmg/shedding_some_light/
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rjmmb6/mike-matei-is-kind-of-an-asshole
atariage.com/features/Gunfight/Submissions/Gunfight_MichaelMatei.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7xT9584TIQU
youtu.be/saiVRP22Iy8?t=349
youtube.com/watch?v=obvHYtBJajI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

James is a hollow vessel, ready and waiting to be filled with Mike and Ryan's most fantastic desires. Every week, they discuss how they will use their puppet names James. James is rolled out in front of the camera, involuntary puts on his show, as Mike and Ryan watch from the shadows. James knows that a single slip up can mean the difference between having his next meal or not. James knows better not to argue, and feels safer doing AVGN videos. For when he is in the AVGN character, it can help disguise his fear. Only when he is dragged out on camera with Mike, can you see hints of obedience and terror in his eyes, if only for a fleeting moment. Bootsy tried to help James, but was quickly found out and discarded by Mike. Mike knew that Bootsy was James' only lifeline and friend to the outside world, and allowing them to be friends was simply out of the question for this kind of operation. Firing Bootsy hit James real hard, but he knows better than to open his mouth about that. All we can do now is wait until the next time Mike and Ryan descend into the cellar, turn on the lights and force James to perform on camera again like their own marionette, before putting him away until he is needed again.

the only thing Matei is resistant to is his AIDS medication. Poor guy.

I love building brown bricks in minecrap

well written. what is this taken from?

why are you impersonating me nathan

Mike makes me feel uncomfortable to look at. He always looks really sickly.

Not him, but it's the story of Mike Love and Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. It's so fucking funny how close the Matei and Rolfe relationship is to it. But it's also scary.

"trying to protect someone" =/= keeping someone in the basement forever. stop with this shit. just give up and move on.

he's HIV positive, asshole.

youtu.be/uq14ybMBxs8

nevermind throw him in the garbage

You can shut up now.

He really is a fag

looks healthy to me

Just watched the infamous elmo video for the first time. Mike never grew out of middle school phase, i feel dumber after watching it.

Pretty good

hahahahaha holy shit, i dont know why, but this is killing me right now

for me it's ryan

cuck

It's ok user. I know I'm a shill. I know I may be annoying. But I sure did work hard on the video. Here, bring it in user. We can be friends.

Mike Matei falls in love with Inspector Gadget.

Unable to confess, Mike is gifted by a deus ex machina with Gadget's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls him, and is overjoyed to find out that he has a crush on him as well, making his ten-inch cock twitch in his pants.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the inspector, he only looks at him with a perplexed expression and says, "I like to make brown bricks with mine crap." After some investigation, James finds out that the root he called is not the same robot who blasted him with a laser. In fact, he doesn't exist in this universe at all. He is Inspector Gadget's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with AVGN's best friend's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of his crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of BROWN BRICKS.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

FINDS

Both version of Mike are extremely flattering and seductive

Keit-Ai has been made into:

>a wiki
>a fanfic
>a fictionpress story
>a manga
>a meme
>a series recognized by TV Tropes
>an anime preview
>an anime episode
>an anime series
>an honest-to-goodness anime movie
>Oscar considered
>a critically acclaimed box office success in Japan
>a worldwide hit
>the no. 1 highest grossing anime film of all time
>a certified fresh movie on Rotten Tomatoes
>a film

Meme magic is amazing.

Wilson and Rolfe are my two favorite people in the world. Crazy I didn't see this comparison before

James was originally planning to give the "... Beats" series to Bootsy (later to be handed to Mike) as he was friends with Bootsy since college. Bootsy actually began recording the Ghosts 'n Goblins (NES) episode on the October 14 and 15. James wanted Bootsy to have a larger role in Cinemassacre, but according to Kevin Finn it was clear that "Matei and Ryan wanted James's immense directing and producting talents used strictly to enhance their own careers." Finn explained the time when James's friendship with Bootsy came to a crashing halt:

"It all came to a head...when Mike Matei, Ryan Schott, and April (James's wife) came over and heard about Bootsy's version of 'Bootsy Beats Ghosts 'n Goblins'... They maneuvered James into the Nerd Room and reduced him to tears. It was a cruel and pathetic scene. Bootsy, Kyle, and I were in another room but we could see the scene through the recording monitor of the house Mike had set up. It was as if James had turned into a little boy. The conversation appeared quiet and calm, but we could tell it was emotional and intense. The others were doing most of the talking, like overbearing, controlling parents. James would move away, and they would block his escape. We couldn't hear what was being said, but I think a good lip-reader would have picked up something like, 'We don't give a **** about these guys, and we want those ad revenues for us.' We could actually feel James crumbling, and when he came out of the room, a tear dropped down his cheek. His head was lowered and his shoulders sagged. It was the body language of a child who had just been scolded and punished. And this brilliant internet icon - whose videos defined one generation and influenced another - weepingly told us, "We can't do this. I have to give the series to them. They're family and I have to take care of my family. They want the series. I'll give you any amount of money you want to finish a video, but I can't affiliate with it. They won't let me."

Damn what an asshole

They're both autistic, but Wilson is a genius and Rolfe is a cult figure in the age of irony when no one knows what a genius is anymore, so we just assume that everyone who creates something interesting is

when will we see james other side

Is Keit-Ai an excuse to advertise this shitty fanfic?

I have to admit, I'm loving this Love/Wilson, Matei/Rolfe connection

Bootsy will get revenge
youtu.be/uq14ybMBxs8

Mike and James have been best friends since college, this thread is fucking stupid

>implying Bootsy wasn't a better friend

Bootsy was friends with James but James saw Bootsy getting fucked by Mike and did nothing.
Refer to , I'm what you would call a Bootsy historian. Bootsy was truly a stand-up guy and had a passion for videogames that rivaled even the nerd's in his prime. Mike was shit at videogames and had no personality so he got mad and he and Ryan decided to kick Bootsy out so that their fans had no one better to compare them to.

Rolfe created and ultimately perfected the youtube gamer character video, which is the largest form of visual expression on youtube and perhaps even the internet.

tfw any video that doesn't have Mike in it

Ryan is cooler than Mike and handsomer too

I don't think anyone would ever claim that Rolfe is a genius. He honestly comes across as a double digit IQ kind of guy most of the time. His videos are still comfy and entertaining though.

>making his ten-inch cock twitch in his pants.

Was that really his cock tho?

Will Sup Forums be the one to finally destroy AVGN?

youtube.com/watch?v=zbrbliGYYYc

>mfw James fucks with the formula

this is unironically creepier than those spider-man/elsa videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=zz1xMEVkIUo

Say what you want about his sophomoric sense of humor, I think the addition of Mike and his character to the series was refreshing. The back and forth with him and James is pretty genuine at times and is fun and entertaining to watch. I don't think everything they put out is a fucking gem, but most of it is pretty entertaining. Although I do get tired of James Poo jokes and tourette like ramblings. He has even admitted in past videos that he gets tired of them as well at times, but feels compelled to do them since he started his character with such jokes.

youtube.com/watch?v=sPjksAl3XRM

>-Bootsy - This is something that really is just between him and I and I don’t think it’s everyones business frankly. But what I will say is that I don’t have a problem with him, I just decided to move on. It was never my intention for us to do lets play videos together until the end of time. At some point shows end. The videos we recorded were fun and we had a good run, but I got tired of it. He’s a great gamer and a great musician. I wish him well with that.
reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/6e5hmg/shedding_some_light/
Nothing better than Mike getting torn apart constantly on his own subreddit

I think when he first starting blowing up, people thought he was a genius. Then after years of getting to know him without a script, it became clear that he's an idiot, and that he himself doesn't even understand his own appeal

post rare banditos

how does he allow himself go on camera looking like that?

Mike: “Ultimately I think Cinemassacre meant so much to so many people because of our classic humor. That was me. James was escapism, I was Mr. Crowd-Pleaser, so I complimented James’s disconnection with my immediacy.”

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rjmmb6/mike-matei-is-kind-of-an-asshole

Loco Bandito smoking gun hahaha
atariage.com/features/Gunfight/Submissions/Gunfight_MichaelMatei.html

wish they had the balls to put that on a cartridge

forget about rare loco bandito shit. there's a mad dash to get to the holy grail of missing cinemassacre films - matei's racist animated cartoons

I dont know why everybody hates Mike. I think it was really nice of him and Ryan to let James appear on their channel. Some might call it charity, I think they are just helping the guy out so he can afford food for his 2 daughters

It is generally acknowledged that Rolfe and Finn intended AVGN: The Movie to be explicitly grindhouse in style and subject, a conscious reaction to the sleek millennial zeitgeist of cinema at the time. It was conceived as a road trip across America from east to west, beginning at the Nerd’s basement in Jersey and ending at the Atari ET landfill in New Mexico. The journey would cover some of the great themes of low-brow filmmaking, including the silent experimentations of Weimar Germany, the screwball comedies of the thirties, Italian genre films of the 60s and 70s, the entirety of the 80s and the consumption of Hollywood by the blockbuster. Some films homaged range from The Evil Dead, Godzilla, A Trip to the Moon, The Breakfast Club, Birth of a Nation, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, A Clockwork Orange, Top Gun, and Tom & Jerry. The California Raisins were considered for a running gag throughout the film.

Aside from focusing on James’s cinematic heritage, AVGN: The Movie’s themes include scattered references to childhood, dragons, metal fantasies, and unrequited love. Many traits in AVGN: The Movie are reminiscent of Tarantinoesque film citation except in a sincere, forward way.

Other general AVGN: The Movie themes have been recited by AVGN theme composer Kyle Justin to have included "video games, nostalgia, the East Coast, pre-internet communication, pennies, betrayal, the paranormal, those saturday morning cartoons that were actually toy commercials, developmental disorders, astrology, [and] childbirth."

During a filming session of The AVGN film on August 6, 2013, there was reportedly tensions with Matei over being instructed by Rolfe to partake in his ten-second cameo role. Exasperated, Matei demanded that Rolfe explain once and for all why his role in the movie was so small. Rolfe meekly turned away and phoned Finn if he was willing to come down to the studio to sort out Matei's complaints. Upon arriving at the set, Matei questioned the entire purpose of the film and the intentions behind it, reportedly in an aggressive fashion. Unable to come up with an answer that Matei would listen to and unwilling to be drawn into an argument about the quality of his (and James’s) work, Finn responded by simply stating he’d be better off asking James. Consequently, Finn left the session feeling as though he was intruding on a family feud with roots and motivations that had nothing to do with him, and would eventually leave the project in the fall of 2013. Some consider this to have doomed the film to mediocrity.

Bootsy explained that Cinemassacre had become "very paranoid about the possibility of losing our public. ... Drugs played a great role in our evolution but as a result we were frightened that people would no longer understand us, artistically." Rolfe revealed that Board James episodes like "Video Games!!" and “Nightmare and Beyond” were primarily composed of leftover ideas from the AVGN movie because they lacked a “commercial feeling” for the actual film, surmising that "Maybe some people like to hang on to certain scenes as their own little scenes that they've written, almost for themselves. You know, what they've written is nice for them ... but a lot of people, like Mike, just think it’s a shitload of fuck."

According to Bootsy, "James just said, 'I can't do this. We're going to make a homespun version of it instead. We're just going to take it easy. I'll green screen the Nerd Room. Or let's go in the backyard and do our parts.' And that was The Angry Video Game Nerd movie that ended up being released." In interviews conducted over the next year, James intimated that he had run out of ideas "in a conventional sense", and that he was "about ready to die". He says: "I decided not to try any more, and not try and do such great things ... And we had so much fun. The AVGN movie era was so great, it was unbelievable. Personally, spiritually, everything, it was great. I didn't have any insecure feelings."

Yet years after The AVGN Movie’s release, James Rolfe continues to be terrified of artistic progression, repeatedly denouncing the film while associating it with all of his failures. At various points, he considered the film "a piece of shit", being imitations of Roger Corman without "getting anywhere near him", and a "corny nostalgia influenced home movie."

Bootsy elaborated, "It was also a thing of, 'What if it didn't turn out to be great, what if it had totally flopped?' That would have completely destroyed him [James]. We would have lost him forever in terms of having any communication with him outside of a camera."

What's his endgame?

>In the winter of 2004, Rolfe was involved in a head-on car crash with a trailer that was unattached with its supporting vehicle. According to Rolfe, no physical injuries occurred during the crash. His quotes from the wreckage include "grabbed the wheel and waited for death".[8]

to replace bootsy

Who

Jesus, did he just step out of a sauna, and then immediately start recording?

please let this go and i promise to bring bootsy back

Nice to know something actually funny came out of that shitshow of a video.

I've watched this for the last 20 minutes straight.

Is this just another pasta or there some actual sauce on this?

jesus christ this guy is awful

it's the story of the recording of "smile" by the beach boys. it runs eerily parallel to the story of mike ruining cinemassacre

Not similar at all actually

Based upon , fucking children.

how did you find this? oh my god, this is the worst yet

WHY IS IT ONLY COMING OUT OF MY LEFT EAR

I'm afraid it only gets more tragic.

youtube.com/watch?v=7xT9584TIQU

>you can hold button to shoot
>Ryan keeps tapping it during whole gameplay

I can't fucking stand this man, why everything he does is bad.

youtu.be/saiVRP22Iy8?t=349

>those massive pimples on both his left and right arms
What a disgusting piece of shit. Put some fucking long sleeves if you're going to do a video.

nice try, but you cannot suppress the BIG truth

Actually, it is

>He doesn't love Michael Matei
>He doesn't have a Mike folder
>He doesn't have notifications set up on YouTube for Cinemassacre and Cinemassacre Play's (formerly Cinemassacre Extra) to watch every video Mike is in as they get released
>He doesn't tune into all his live streams
>He doesn't follow him on Twitter

Mike lives in either Philadelphia or New Jersey, so I hope I run into him someday to thank him for all the entertainment he's provided me with over the years.

Tale as old as time...

>Picures\Album Covers\My Pictures

youtube.com/watch?v=obvHYtBJajI

I like to keep them a pain to find

>2000 views

Nah

>they took their collectibles out of the fucking box