Wait, why did they have to wake him up again?

Wait, why did they have to wake him up again?

They saw the hook already, so what was the point of getting his attention?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EboJrjl_ELI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They wanted to see something SHINY!

I think it was an Indiana Jones trap thing, if they just grabbed it he woulda one hit KO'd them

They didn't know he was the pile in the middle of the room

Maui is DUMB-DUMB-DUMB!

How does the shit on his back not just fall off? Does he glue it?

He sticks it all on with his monster-crab Jizz, which, by the way is glittery and gold.

Did you see how quickly and accurately he could pick up tiny things with those giant claws? He would probably snap at her attempt like a horse swatting a fly away.

WELL TAMATOA HASN'T ALWAYS BEEN THIS GLAM!

Do you know how rat kings come into existence? Well, that, all over his back.

Lot of stuff did fall off when he got flipped over.

I WAS A DRAB LITTLE CRAB ONCE

NOW I KNOW I CAN BE HAPPY AS A CLAM

I want to boil and eat the crab.

He's a coconut crab, which means his rear four legs are supposed to grab onto the shell he's in. But other crabs that do this (arrow crabs, decorator crabs, yeti/sponge crabs) stick bits between hairs/bristles on their carapace.

DOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!!!!

that's the answer

I think Maui knew

BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL BABY

>Coconut Crab
>That one song in the beginning where everyone's reminding Moana to consider coconuts

...Huh.

They also encountered coconut pirates

javascript:quote('88532800

Kakamora, they felt so out of place, just showed up for a moment and WHAM , gone.

This movie was a mess

>Maui created coconuts
Played us like a fucking fiddle

DID YA GRANNY SAY, LISTEN TO YOUR HEART

They should have tied it together that Tamatoa was the pirates' boss and he sent them out for the heart and was expecting them in his lair sooner or later.

BE WHO YOU ARE ON THE INSIDE!?

I bet he'd taste delicious with some Old Bay

>he will never sprinkle old bay on his crab penis and tell you to suck it off and lick his crab legs while singing Shiny

Because they knew there was no way to get the hook without him noticing, unless his attention was diverted.

Stop being a homosexual

I NEED THREE WORDS TO TAKE HER ARGUMENT APART

You think I can control this? Disney has corrupted me!

you're granny lied.

>Disney wants us to fuck crabs

What kind of game are they playing?

I'D RATHER BE SHINY

Fun fact: crabs have two penises, and neither are used for penetration

Great, so that means I can tag team him with another user. No homo.

OP it's explained in the movie, listen to the dialogue, they explicitly say why.

I'm confused as to why the Demigod was needed in the first place.You know what he did in the end? He distracted the lava monster long enough for Moana to sail inside the island and discover the truth.... and that's it.

Sure, I liked the big guy's character, but in the end he wouldn't have been necessary if Moana knew the truth since the beginning which the ocean could've told her through magical means since the start. The powers weren't necessary, and the detour w as more dangerous than the final destination, and he didn't provide much help fighting anything, if any, at all.

I don't think you can control it but Disney didn't make you gay. Genetic aberrations did.

Because it was his fault in the first place, he should feel morally obligated to be somewhat involved in fixing the mess he made.

Okay, but again... if he was removed from the story all together would the story have been changed much? Not really.

Jared Bush is a hack screenwriter, that's all.

Similarly, you could remove the pet sidekicks and story wouldn't change much.

Also, I didn't see that point of having a "big reveal" when they realized the goddess was the lava monsters. It kind of come out of nowhere and was pointless. If they just said the lava monster was the goddess after having her heart taken away the result would've been really similar.

what do you think provoked maui to rip one of his legs off? also found it interesting that tamatoa himself didnt even utter a word on the matter albeit taking the petty route instead

>supporting characters can be seen as inconsequential if you boil a movie down into its most basic parts
Wow, no shit.

So you just wanted Moana being told that the lava monster was the goddess by ocean and then sailing there and curing her. That sounds boring and simplistic as fuck. What would be the point? Just because you can take away any sort of complexity to a story doesn't mean you should.

They were fighting over something? Or he was trading it for something?

I'm sure it's in one of the actual legends of Maui's feats.

Wasn't he half buried? It just looked like a big pile of treasure, right?

I imagine Maui had the forethought to get Moana to be bait because they either didn't know where he was, or they didn't know if he was awake, and just going in straight for the hook would raise the chance of one of them being bisected.

>t kind of come out of nowhere and was pointless.
bruh
Do you not listen to the lyrics of the songs or something? I mean the crav was hard to understand the first time around but everyone else's songs bar the Polynesian lyrics was easy to understand the meaning.

>also found it interesting that tamatoa himself didnt even utter a word on the matter

Probably because crabs have the ability to regrow limbs if they can be bothered to. To Tamatoa, the act wasn't as much of a problem as Maui coming to bother him again after that.

I just wanna know if Tamatoa and Maui were friends in the past or not, goddammit. This movie has so much potential to have a tv series.

Nothing about their relationship points to it.
Closest thing I could think that may have implied that they were ever friends is some user who claimed that the original lyrics made Tamatoa sound more empathetic to Maui's past and that user never gave actual source so he could've easily pulled that out of his ass.

They were at least rivals. Tamatoa mentions Maui's backstory, so Maui probably told him that at one point.

Also the "I have to give you credit for my start" line can be interpreted to mean they were friends once.

He was the one who stole it so it it was supposed to be him to put it back.

Also he was the only one who was able to get to the heart in the first place, so it may have been an assumption only he would be able to get to the heart of the god.

>Also the "I have to give you credit for my start" line can be interpreted to mean they were friends once.
he was taking about how maui's tats inspired him to bling his shell

iirc limb regeneration for crustaceans involves molting and tamatoa would probably rather not have to start his treasure armor all over again.

i've always had the impression, however, that coconut crabs don't molt as adults once they forego their temporary shells, though i could very easily be mistaken

Call me!

Because this movie sucks and they just HAD to have a fucking meme crab.

there's also some speculation to be made from the line "we (used to get along well) until i tore off his leg"

was this purely dry humor or was there some merit to it?

on the topic of tamatoa knowing of maui's abandonment, it depends whether or not this information is as vastly well-known to others as maui's feats are (in the context of the moana universe, anyway) or a very personal thing, since moana didn't know about it either. but at the same time there's nothing that implies that gramma tala didn't know about it either.

either maui disclosed this information to him, or there's a gossip ring in lalotai that tamatoa is definitely on top of.

>meme crab
good to know that word is finally completely devoid of meaning

>but at the same time there's nothing that implies that gramma tala didn't know about it either.
seeing as Moana didn't know anything about any of Maui's other feats, it seems that the only story that humans know about Maui anymore is about the theft of the heart

>I didn't see that point of having a "big reveal" when they realized the goddess was the lava monsters. It kind of come out of nowhere and was pointless.

>Do you not listen to the lyrics of the songs or something?

This.

Listen again:

youtube.com/watch?v=EboJrjl_ELI

The scene is the ultimate culmination of the major theme of the movie. Up to this point, the central thematic conflict has been Moana struggling with her self-identity and listening to heart to her define who she is/wants to be (vs. the pressure from her father/village). Tahiti/Teka is a representation of her conflict - when stripped of her heart, she's not who she really is. For the goddess, it's a literal magic heart. For Moana, it's her "mental" heart and desires. When Moana realizes this, she's singing about herself as much as the goddess and by restoring the magic heart is deciding to follow her own heart to be a wayfarer.

As for why not revealing that from the start, you must have no sense of storytelling or dramatic construction. I really don't know what to tell you.

>Shiny!!! :D
>Edgy
>Solo number with no connection to anything else besides the hook,

He was fucking DESIGNED for memes. Except his particular brand is already a decade old.

is it meant to be implied that "you're welcome" is the first that moana is hearing about what maui's done for mankind? maybe it's obvious to everyone else but i always found it a little dubious.

for example, moana's change of heart during the song (up until maui traps her in a cave) is either being wowed with braggery or just getting wrapped up in theatrics. given her attitude towards maui at the first impressions, i feel like it would be out of character for her to believe him immediately unless she's already heard of it before.

though the line
>now you're just the guy who stole the heart of te fiti and ruined everything
>you're nobody's hero
is either indication that nobody knows what maui once did for them anymore ooorrr it was just a jab, because its not like maui was in the position to confirm or deny that for the past 1000 years

>Solo number with no connection to anything else besides the hook

>Maui has a tattoo of Tamatoa on his body which is clearly shown during "You're Welcome"

Lyrics during Shiny
>"Yet I have to give you credit for my start"

Also, you have to be over 18 to use this website.

>shiny!!!
i feel like the obnoxious-ness of that is being pushed by the fans, it was obviously a Huge Deal to tamatoa personally

>edgy
do you mean the personal jabs at maui or?

>no connection to the plot
i think it can be argued that his song moved the plot along, since it revealed a huge sore point for maui (that thus rendered 75% of his powers completely useless) that was completely new information to moana. the movie was pretty good at hiding that particular tattoo from (camera) sight as well.

the flamboyant self-absored brand is indeed at least 20 years old but i found it to be an interesting take. tamatoa definitely worked to improve his own perception of himself and will be sure to shove it in your face

i'm not dumping on you or anything, just trying to have a dialogue here

>Solo number with no connection to anything else besides the hook

Wrong! His self-obsession is a counterpoint to both Moana and Maui.

He explicitly argues that Moana's inner struggle about identity and following your dreams is pointless compared to how you portray yourself - that it's all about appearances and how you feel about them.

He's also blatantly a reflection of Maui's smugness, stating the tattoos are the inspiration for his gold exterior. He also demeans Maui's accomplishments in comparison to how he appears.

Shiny is a brilliant song that's

>thematically tied to both protagonists
>pushes the scene and story along (getting the hook and introducing Maui's backstory)
>visually and musically entertaining on its own

Also it offers a strong connection to what's 'normal' for Maui - i.e. fighting monsters.

>thematically tied to both protagonists

It also helps drive home what's so bad about Maui's attitude - everything he did might have been for humanity's benefit, but between that and ending up like Tamatoa the line is very thin.

How did he managed to get all that glowing algae in such perfect thin lines on his face? I mean, claws aren't known to be careful.

Please tell me that besides being a good comment, this was also a small Pratchett reference.

coconut crabs are also known to steal and hoard plenty of "shiny" objects, though they dont incorporate it onto their carapace the same way a decorator crab does.

coconut crabs are also called robber crabs and i feel like the movie missed an opportunity by not giving tamatoa some kind of influence over the kakamora pirates

>Disney FINALLY manages to have a good villain after the last three being total shit.
>All he is is just a mid-boss that's forgotten afterwards.

I dunno, I enjoyed Te Ka as well.
Although, I do prefer the concept art where she looked like a lava version of Te Fiti before she let her rage fully consume her.

tamatoa has absurdly good dexterity with his claws, to be fair

can we even consider tamatoa to be villain-tier? he's more of an obstacle than an outright villain... although yes, he did get shafted. maybe a good kingdom hearts boss?

> by not giving tamatoa some kind of influence over the kakamora pirates

some anons a while back were discussing the idea of a human Tamatoa as the leader of the pirates and desu that sounds bettet than what we got.

i was in that thread and i've been working on a "shiny" animatic based off of that idea since then

You're truly the gift that keeps on giving.

It's stupid they went to the World of Monsters just for that one thing.

Why even HAVE the WoM then? Why not just put the fucking crab in a cave and call it a day?

too kind

i just hope moana threads will still be somewhat relevant by the time i finish they're already barely relevant now amirite and that at least one person from back in that thread will remember.

WHOMP meant to quote

>that at least one person from back in that thread will remember

lmao, I can think of at least two anons that will...

> google decorator crab

that's pretty cool.

it's happening
ive never uploaded a webm file to Sup Forums before sorry if it's borked, also sorry no audio i guess

> his headress is a crab

it's the small things.

im so glad you can tell what i was going for there

this is good shit

Have you considered the coconut?

looks nice already

Because it was an interesting place? You're upset that they made the film more interesting than they needed to which is retarded.

Having an underworld makes the setting feel more mythical.

LIKE A TREASURE FROM A SUNKEN PIRATE WRECK

They had to bolster the mild storyline somehow.

>replace a fully animated well designed monster with some guy in a hat

I respect your art user but why

> well designed

let's not kid ourselves. Tamatoa is visually interesting, but his design is so irregular (simple face vs really detailed shell, for example) it clashes horribly.

That's really cool and I want to see the rest of your art, but I don't entirely get the point of doing this. It's just replacing the character with a human? So it will have basically the same choreography and camera angles? Why do this, user?

>but his design is so irregular (simple face vs really detailed shell, for example) it clashes horribly.
That's not irregular at all. It's balance. He had to be detailed because he's a fucking crab in a movie where the established style is detailed, but they're going to give him a Sebastian face because it's a fucking cartoon and actual crab heads are disgusting.

Look at this fucking whackass shit. Nature's most embarrassing animal head.

>but they're going to give him a Sebastian face because it's a fucking cartoon and actual crab heads are disgusting.

their solution was to make his head a damn thumb, that's not any better.

Well, professional character designer, let's see you do something better.

> hur durr why don't you do it then