At The Mountains Of Madness

>Lovecraft's tale had long been considered unfilmable

Why is this unfilmable, bros?

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2012/06/10/prometheus-ridley-scott-guillermo-del-toro-lovecraft/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because Lovecraft couldn't write dialogue and the things in the stories are supposed to be unfathomable.

Cause lovecraft is gay edgy 12 year old shit.

Its no use faking your suicide if you keep posting. Moron.

please let the lovecraft meme fucking end jesus fucking christ can people not come up with their own unique shit

Because Lovecraft was racist beta male.

Because the half the story is a guy staring at stone reliefs in a dark room.

Because it requires audiences to think and doesn't have any flashy action to attract large crowds.

Are you going mad?

You can't film what you can't fathom user

Yo throw some bat wings, frog legs and tentacles on my shit senpai

>shoggoth is described as literally a formless mass with eyes, mouths, tentacles, and claws that shift in and out of existence.

>people always just depict it as a giant octopus

makes me mad

yea wtf why can't these people draw a formless mass?

lovecraft = tentacles
cosmic horror = tentacles
shapeless horror = tentacles
formless mass = tentacles
dude lovecraftian lmao

Because it's stupid

then don't fucking draw it at all

Because lovecraft hated jews

They know how to draw a shapeless mass when you call it "Azathoth" but not when you call it a "shoggoth"???

It could be done pretty easily in found footage format, similar in style, but at a larger scale than The Border Lands

This user has it.

ATMOM is a story about deep time and really hammering in the concept of vast spans of time that audiences wouldn't care about. The main characters are geologists for fuck sake. The story is filled with scientific details. It's a very long, ponderous story exploring an idea that people today wouldn't find half as interesting or unsettling as people in 1930s, there's really very little action or full on horror to keep people interested in a cinema. As much as I adore Lovecraft, his impact as a horror writer is greatly reduced in the modern age.

They were gonna make a shitty The Thing rip off and I for one am glad that movie is dead in the water because I don't think I could physically handle the smug liberal thinkpieces and hot takes written by uninformed, willfully ignorant millennial website writers that would bubble forth when it came out. Let Lovecraft stay where he is, away from the mainstream at large because it's all I have left that hasn't been completely and utterly ruined.

>found footage
please die

What are you gonna do, point a static camera at a giant bas-relief for two hours? Or are you gonna set it in the modern day and do the same thing?

They're scientists- they're documenting their finds and explaining them on camera, things go awry, bang! Movie

It’s not unfilmable, it’s just that this and other of his stories were new and different during his time, if they make a movie now people will just think it’s a ripoff of movies like “the thing”, “prometheus” or even Ancient Aliens

>the things in the stories are supposed to be unfathomable.
LOL not with today's SFX they aren't.

I've read that part of the reason it's never been filmed is due to the fact they wanted o shoehorn a love story or happy ending into it.

Yeah, that happens like right at the VERY end. All the other stuff happens completely off 'camera'. Gedney getting fucked up, the dogs, the Elder Things waking up and spazzing out, you see none of it. There's a shoggoth chase at the end, one of them sees something spooky beyond the mountains in the plane and that's it. It's not a blockbuster horror sci fi story, it just isn't made for it.

>found footage
sweet mother of fuck

Very Kantian.

The Crawling Chaos!

That's all you have left? Read some more books for fucks sake. Have you even read Clark Ashton Smith? Algernon Blackwood? Lord Dunsany? Fritz Lieber? Mervynne Peake? Jack Vance? Gene Wolfe?

>the things in the stories are supposed to be unfathomable
Have you even read At the Mountains of Madness?

Considering that his single mother used to dress him up in girl clothes until he was 10 or so it's no suprise.

Smith sucks, can't get into his
Blackwood has exactly two good stories, granted they're fucking masterpieces
Dunsany I just find utterly bland and shallow
Haven't read the rest so I'm gay

You ever have that one thing that you're just really into? That one thing where your friends would defer to you on that subject or tell people to ask you about it? For me, that's Lovecraft.

>single mother
Widow. Husband died of syphilis. The girl clothes thing also wasn't completely uncommon for that time. That late into childhood, though, yeah.

I've seen enough lovecraft to know where this thread is going

top kek lad

Guillermo Del Toro wanted to make a At the Mountains of Madness movie, but he ditch it because Ridley Scott was makeing Prometheus and he felt the Mountains of Madness movie would be too similar.

ew.com/article/2012/06/10/prometheus-ridley-scott-guillermo-del-toro-lovecraft/

I think that the people that did that silent low budget call of cthulhu movie a while back could knock it out of the park

If they hadn't made the absolutely awful Whisperer in Darkness movie, maybe.

>wilmarth in a bi-plane with a little girl shooting down mi-go

all children wore the same clothes back then before (((they))) convinced you that you had to buy new clothes every year.

Childrens clothes were always dresses because
>its easy to change a diaper
>children often did not live past and sometimes were not even named till they were 2 years old

You fairies can mock young Lovecraft for probably pissing his bed till he was 5 but most of you leftist faggots probably still piss your beds to this day.

my college writing professor spent the entire first day having us read lovecraft and forcing to agree with her that he's the worst writer conceivable.

>her opinions
is that really educational?

Ah yes, liberal education

wew lad that sounds terrible