Flop Flop Floppity Flop

>5- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
>11/16 Invincible Iron Man # 1- 97,713
>This is not a very enthusiastic debut, but if it manages to sell at least at the same level that Tony used to, everybody will be quite happy.

>11- AVENGERS ($5)
>11/16 Avengers # 1 - 81,885
>Really?! This is supposed to be the relaunch of the big parent Avengers title and it can barely crack 80k? That’s the end result of Marvel so poorly mismanaging one of its biggest franchises. The name Avengers doesn’t mean anything anymore, especially in a title. That’s sad because Mark Waid is probably one of the few writers capable of keeping his writer’s identity on a title like this, applying an artistic touch to mainstream properties.

>18- UNWORTHY THOR
>11/16 Unworthy Thor# 1 - 70,424
>That’s quite disapointing. For a comics featuring both the return of the original Thor and of Olivier Coipel on something other then dull mega-events, this seems really low. Could it be below “female” Thor next month?

>23- 42- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
>11/16 Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 – 52,184
>Did I say last month that “clone” was a magic sales word for Spider-Man titles? Let me rephrase that… that’s the lowest level for the title so far.

>28- CLONE CONSPIRACY LTD
>11/16 Clone Conspiracy Ltd #2 - 58,921 (-34.7%)
>Less people are reading the Spider-Man event of the year than Spider-Man ususal readers. That’s weird. It looks like this one is making old readers leaving the title instead of making new ones buy it.

comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-chart-november-2016-children-and-women-firsts/

ok

>33- BLACK PANTHER WORLD OF WAKANDA ($5)
>11/16 BP World of Wakanda - 57,073
>That’s so weak compared to Black Panther’s debut. So much for the dream of Black Panther as another new hot property capable of supporting several titles.

>36- THANOS
>11/16 Thanos# 1 - 54,768
>Another disapointing debut. It should already fall under 30K with its next issue. That’s Jeff Lemire and Mike Deodato! Imagine what it would have been if it was from unknown newcomers!

>47-244- CHAMPIONS
>11/16 Champions #2 - 49,733 (-85.2%)
>We now have a way much clearer idea of the real impact of this new launch. It should stay around ANAD Avengers numbers, to no one surprise. Issue #1 is back for reorders.

>63- AVENGERS 1.1
>11/16 Avengers 1.1 - 41,258
>OMG, another very weak debut, showing how much in disarray the Avengers franchise is. People are not even interested in good old origins Avengers stories, back to the day when not all of the Marvel universe had been part of an avenger team at one point in his life. Again, top creators, Mark Waid and Barry Kitson and one of the weakest debut so far, barely better than Great Lake Avengers! Nostalgia will not save Marvel, apparently.

>Avengers 1.1
>Amazing Spider-Man 22.1

stop this ASAP and give those books their own titles, it just a cheap trick to try to fool readers into buying books unrelated to the main title.

decimals numbers should only be used for fill in issues or crossovers.

>That’s Jeff Lemire and Mike Deodato!

>ASM selling barely over 50k
i guess Marvel really made up to that promise of making Iron man the new face of marvel, by crashing everything around him

>Could it be below “female” Thor next month?

lol

>Avengers 1.1

people thought that would sell??!!?

People thought that would sell?

i think avengers is a mini at least so... be happy it's not like Avengers 16.1, 18.1, etc etc

So what's the point of this thread? To circle jerk over Marvel's perceived failure and pretend like this hasn't happened before and assume that they'll basically stop printing comics next month or be sold to Warner Brothers/DC?

BENDIS FOUND A WAY!!!

alternatively making Spider-Man rich was a mistake.

Lemire was hot shit 3 years ago, but we all know X-Men has a way of exposing writers quickly and if you it fuck up on you'll be hounded out of Marvel fairly quickly.

Part of the problem was that Slott and co mishandled the Clone Conspiracy shipping. Slott (with his massive ego) decided to make CC the main book and ASM a side book. Surprise! Comic Book stores ordered more of ASM (because they thought it would be the main book). Slott has to BEG stores to order more CC issues and tell them it was the main book. The whole thing was confusing for people.

Slott should have just made ASM the main book (like Spiderverse).

>be sold to Warner Brothers/DC
Yes, please.

Lemire's indies are still good though.

> Makes him the face of marvel
> replaced him with black girl
how is that work?

>Flop Flop Floppity Flop

What did he mean by this?

It's a pun on floppy sales.

needed some babytalk bt "bomba" is copyrighted by neogaf already

>both the x-men and spider man were ruined in your lifetime
Oh boy.

Descender is hot garbage except for the art

I just know blackhammer is going to be run down by bullshit at some point

So how do we fix Marvel?

let's just not pay for anything

>pun

What did he mean by this?

But user, we already don't.

>comics are outsourced to DC/WB
>Marvel Studios reboots the DCEU

>Marvel Studios reboots the MCU
Fixed.

Stay sad, DCuck.

>DCuck
Stay mad, MCUck.

>10/16 Dr Strange Sorcerers Supreme #1 - >149,710

>11/16 Dr Strange Sorcerers Supreme #2 - >29,349 (-80.4%)

Ho-lee shit, what a drop.

its going to be real fun to see them scramble together whatevers left after the Cinematic universe bubble bursts

You'll probably be dead when that happens.

I stopped buying Marvel's stuff a few years ago. How many book relaunches are they up to, now?

I'd be fucking fine with this. Marvel can't make good comics and WB can't make good DC movies. Everybody wins if they outsource to the other.

What, no evanposting?

Might happen when the superhero trend starts dying.

>Avengers v Justice League: Galactus Apokolips!

>Mosaic and Great Lake Avengers are seemingly doing ok
Fucking what?

>the DCEU as a retarded, forgettable quipfest
No thanks.

Yeah, I'd much rather it be a pretentious laughing stock.
MARTHA!!!!!!

They replaced toilet paper with them so they're saving some bucks.

>hating HYPERCRISIS
Typical Disney shill.

Retailers will get even more free copies of shit they didn't ask for.

True.

Well, they're both good

and yet stores literally can't give them away

I remember when DC branced from their main characters in their flagship titles. Suddenly the Justice League was made up of Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, the Elongated Man, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Zantanna, Steel and Firestorm. Basically the CW'est cast you could throw together; safe and diverse. And it was fucking awful. Then to make up for it, they gave us the Extreme League. Justice League sales plummited and no one gave a shit about them for years until Grant Morrison came along and said, "Why the fuck aren't Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman not Leaguers?" and saved DC's ass.

I cannot wait to see how Marvel pulls their Avengers out of the dumpster fire they're building for their cinematic universe.

>JLI
>fucking awful
This bait is new.

Marvel Comic's are going to shit

I described the Detroit League.

damn, dat drop. Marvel inflating numbers again?

How the fuck did that happen? Was issue 1 just literally 24 pages of feces?

Issue #1 was included in Marvel's loot crate box thing.

That's sort of what Bendis did in 2004 when he was all like "why aren't Wolverine and Spider-Man Avengers?"

I don't know what they could do now though. Eventually they'll do a JLA-style "the big three are back!' relaunch but it won't be enough.

Wow RACIST!

Javier Rodriguez deserves better than Hopeless Spider-Woman & a hopeless Dr Strange spin-off

Maybe he'll get Ultimates cubed next year.

18.1 you say?

Fuck you m00t this is the image I wanted

>>hating HYPERCRISIS

Whaa....

When it was realized he was just another SJW cuck his smugness lost some bite. Hard to use him mockingly when the subject of your mockery will remember he cried about Hillary losing.

Better than DANCE OFF BRO xD

So how long till Disney cleans house at Marvel
Will they even care as long as movies and merch and games still sell?

Detroit League was early or mid 80s, JLI was late 80s. And Extreme Justice was mid 90s. What the fuck are you people even talking about?

Are they finally gonna kick Slott off Spider-man? His shitty event isn't selling this time

nah word around the office is he gives good head

>be sold to Warner Brothers/DC?
How about Pixar?

Except Wolverine and Spider-Man aren't Avengers material, anyway. It bumped sales, but it was retarded.

I'm surprised morrison of all writers had the common sense to get the big names all back to the League.

Detroit League wrapped up in 1986. Extreme Justice launched 1995. You're conveniently leaving out the fact that the International era enjoyed a good seven years of popularity and acclaim. You're also leaving out the fact that Extreme Justice was one of three JL books running at the time and that Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman had all been making appearances in the titles for years. Also, it was Mark Waid, not Grant Morrison, who "put the band back together," so to speak, with Midsummer's Nightmare, the lead-in to JLA.

I think they're equally bad but at opposite sides of the spectrum.

It sounds like the title of an irreverent new weekly series about comic books, from Dude from the Internet.

Comicsbeat is important, retailers read it

Black Panther mostly sold because of Coates' name being attached to it, and coming out just after Civil War came out in theaters.

Giffen wanted the big leaguers too but was told no because the reboot meant writers wanted Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal, and Flash to themselves to establish their new status quo. O'Neil was nice enough to let him have Batman even though he'd later backpedal on it with his "Batman is an urban legend" rule.

They'll care as much as they need it for Idea farming. CW was awful but it had huge numbers behind it so even normies knew there was a time when superheroes were fighting each other.

Marvel's ideas are all approaching not only shit but more importantly blandshit. You couldn't market CW2 without people going that's minority report. And call it out as the rip off it is.

Nigga, the MCU is dying after Infinity War and you know it, maybe even sooner. The casual audience is growing tired of it, and we all know the MCU's target audience is casuals.

Hush nigga, we diversity now

>alternatively making Spider-Man rich was a mistake.
Making Peter Parker into Tony Stark was the fucking mistake, senpai.

People aren't buying Marvel comics in general anymore because it's a fucking mess.
Needs a serious overhaul.

"Martha" wasn't bad, people are just retarded and looking for memes.

>marvel comics pixar makeover
>marvel comics
>literally rdj's mcu iron man
this triggers me

57,000 for a b-lister spinoff book is an amazing debut. Even if it's going to hemorrhage half its readership by issue three it'll still be safe from cancellation, especially if Marvel has low expectations for it.

Like said, it was included in a subscription box, specifically it was for Funko's Marvel Collectors Corps box.

Remember that these numbers were for preorders, so the most orders probably went into that box (or maybe even other subscription boxes).

idiots like you sound fucking retarded

Reunite the cartoon X-men team in a flagship book.

X-Men 92 ain't selling so hot

That's cause it's out of continuity. They even ignored events in the final episodes of the cartoon so there were people complaining about it.

>>Really?! This is supposed to be the relaunch of the big parent Avengers title and it can barely crack 80k?
To be fair, there was virtually no promotion for this book. Compared to fucking Champions.

Fun fact, this store I usually go to that sells comics and toys moved all the comics from the back of the store and to the front. The other big thing was that all the trades they couldn't sell were TREMENDOUSLY marked down. Like $3 each for $20, and $8 for $35. I talked to the guy behind the counter, and they were saying that they just weren't moving shit, so they're getting rid of it any way possible.

This fucking number padding Marvel's been pulling with LootCrate type trash is goddamn disgusting.

>Compared to fucking Champions.

10/16 Champions #1 - 334,937 [+6,772]
11/16 Champions #2 - 49,733 (-85.2%)

By the way, in case anyone was wondering about the drop, I should point out that Champions #1 had like three variants included in three different subscription boxes. This was from Comic Block.

This was from My Geek Box in November.

Shipping out free copies to pad the numbers is pretty ridiculous too

And this was from Funko's Marvel Collector Corps box this month (the box was X-Men themed, which makes it funny that they're using Champions instead of an X-Men book, on the basis that Cyclops is in Champions, but they probably did it on Marvel's say-so)

>dat drop
it's actually frightening. this thread is scary.

Any guesses as to what might happen to the entire american comic industry in a few years? DC is seemingly doing okay, Marvel is just crazy and soulless, no idea about smaller publishers.

What's the problem here? Is it the market losing interest (Can it ever be gained back)? How much does this ahve to do with Marvel being at the top despite being retarded? Is the whole thing an infrastructural problem with diamond and etc? Is it a business model issue? Is it a problem with publishers not treating characters and creators with adequate respect and whatever?

I really don't want something I love to get fucked in every available orifice.

If you saw the posts, the high numbers came from the various subscription boxes. They're a major factor.

Amazing Spider-Man #16 was included in Funko's box for August. Here's how sales compared:

06/16 Amazing Spider-Man#14 - 65,646 (+ 0.2%)
07/16 Amazing Spider-Man#15 - 93,582 [+5,588]
08/16 Amazing Spider-Man#16 - 185,342
08/16 Amazing Spider-Man#17 - 74,869

Will they ever not draw Miles in poses that scream, "pushy power bottom?"

Image is sitting good with TWD and Saga, but is still looking for their next big thing. Their business model and small chunk of the market share puts them in a pretty stable spot, plus they're a dumping ground for Hollywood to second chance on passed over scripts and pitches. DC's market share has been fairly unstable the past few years, but they usually keep it between 25-35%. IDW and Dynamite just run with whatever licenses they can pick up on the cheap. I'm not sure about Dark Horse since its only big name titles are all Mignolaverse.

Jesus Christ that Ms. Marvel

Other comics that had Funko box variants this year were Deadpool #1, Black Panther #1 Civil War II #1 (these were books that you would've just assumed got high sales based on the variants and hype behind them).

But here's Guardians of Infinity, which also had a Funko variant:

92- GUARDIANS OF INFINITY($5)

12/15 Guardians of Infinity #1 - 121,407
01/16 Guardians of Infinity #2 - 27,112 (-77.7%)
02/16 Guardians of Infinity #3 - 22,309 (-17.7%)

As you can see the subscription boxes really do influence things.

Marvel started making movies.

That's really about it. The movies came and made them BANK and they struggled to make their universe more in line with the movies. But the movies are their own thing, and aren't 60+ years of previous continuity. So they drag and scrape and force the comics to fit the movies, but it feels awkward and forced. So they try mixing things up, changing characters around. But it still feels awkward. So they try a clean, fresh reboot, but it's not really a reboot, it's still knee-deep in continuity and crossovers. The newcomer who wants to see Captain America is going to look at the issue on the shelf and wonder why Falcon's on the cover. And why is Cap saying "Hail Hydra"? Wait, there are two Thors? And Bruce Banner is dead? Then who's the Hulk? I thought Spider-Man was a photographer, why is he rich? Who's Miles? Wait, why are the X-Men kids? Hold on, they're from the past now? I thought Magneto was a villain.

It's always been a mess, it's always been hard to "get into comics". But never like this. I can't ever remember it being this impassable for new fans. I don't care that the mantle's being passed to new characters. The trouble is that it's happening to EVERYONE. They've created such a tangled web of continuity that they're cutting off any chance of new readers jumping in. If they wanted new readers to come in because of the movies, they should've been pushing some simple events that are easy to pick up and follow. Instead, we have even long-time comic fans dropping out because they can't keep up with everything.

I see, but is that a sustainable business model? I figure being dependent on being a part of a bundle (which people might not get for comics in the first place) isn't a very strong system.

Two other comics that got Funko variants: Invincible Iron Man #1 and Secret Wars #1. Those you would probably also have expected to have high sales based on variants/hype.

But another one is Ant-Man #5:

01/15 Ant-Man #1 – 73,370
02/15 Ant-Man #2 – 40,192 (-45.2%)
03/15 Ant-Man #3 – 37,139 (- 7.6%)
04/15 Ant-Man #4 – 31,637 (-14.8%)
05/15 Ant-Man #5 – 83,095 (+162.7%)

Probably not. And it's not just Marvel using the boxes. I know Funko has one for DC as well. And I do remember LootCrate had a variant for one issue of Snyder/Capullo's Batman.