FMG//SWG Filmmaking

Filmmaking thread. Hopelessness and despair edition. What is everyone working on? What have you finished recently? What problems are you running into?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/American-Cinematographer-Manual-10TH-Michael/dp/1467568309
amazon.com/Set-Lighting-Technicians-Handbook-Distribution/dp/0240810759
discordapp.com/invite/3AXTZXF
vimeo.com/234631799
vimeo.com/233785871
youtube.com/watch?v=WKV7Crl-41g&index=13&list=FLsUUSFqQsQNbsiFcf57FkqA
vimeo.com/7231932
twitter.com/AnonBabble

amazon.com/American-Cinematographer-Manual-10TH-Michael/dp/1467568309

amazon.com/Set-Lighting-Technicians-Handbook-Distribution/dp/0240810759

Have you read them? Are they any good? Or are these just the go to books?

Also there was a discord somewhere. Anyone got the link?

I haven't read them but I am thinking about purchasing them to understand these aspects better.

>what is everyone working on?
currently gonna make another music video for a friend and after I finally get enough money I'll buy a speedbooster and a sigma 18-35 so I can actually film decent stuff, then I'll make a short film
>what have you finished recently?
a fashion video for some friends who have a clothing line
>what problems are you running into?
doing everything yourself at the beginning is very difficult. sometimes I wish I had a crew to help me out with shit, I also wish I had lights so I won't be cucked by the sun every single time I want to film.

Cool. I dont do anything DoP related so I wouldn't know about these. But I do know that McKee is god tier for screenwriting and "the Directors Intuition" is absolute shittier.

>working on?
at this point, just molding ideas inside my head
>finished recently?
never finished, only started
problems?
lack of motivation, lack of confidence, lack of skill, lack of money,

For anyone looking for more in-depth feedback and sharing you can try the discord.

discordapp.com/invite/3AXTZXF

Small gigs are nice to get some demoreel shots going. I wouldn't buy equipment tho, its always a waste of money if you are serious about it, then you will soon get into a territory where buying equipment just isn't economic anymore.

Also check online for people. Next gig you have place a message online asking for a general assistant that might wanna tag along and help.

So basically just Life, as everyone knows it.

been experimenting w hyperlapses cause i like takashi ito and my friend wants me to do a music video for him(this is not the song just an experiment i did with the technique)

vimeo.com/234631799
also bonus for drive fanz
vimeo.com/233785871

Nice one Limbert. Since you experimenting with stop motion. Check out these two, they might give you some new ideas.
youtube.com/watch?v=WKV7Crl-41g&index=13&list=FLsUUSFqQsQNbsiFcf57FkqA

vimeo.com/7231932

I'm still working on that 50 min documentary. And pic related is finally releasing this friday.

>What is everyone working on?

Waiting to start season 2 of a new TV show in November

>What have you finished recently?

Lasted worked on TV mini series.

Personally, brain storming new screenplay ideas

> What problems are you running into?

Funding for my next short film to direct

>All the 'meaning' in the film is implicit in the action, never imposed on it. There is no intrusive symbolism, the camera is at no point used to force a point of view on the spectator. Hawks is perhaps too completely an artist for many critics to see that he is one at all: they need some symbols and 'striking' camera-angles and overt moral points flourished at them before they think they're seeing anything significant. The greatness of Hawks's films lies not in the extractable moral viewpoint itself, but in the intensity with which it is felt and realized in concrete terms.

editing a short film about pirates... i should really be doing that right now...
hopelessness and despair is a good summation

Psychological crime/horror movie in Asia

where them stills at bros

Nice. I made a short film about pirates too.

how was it received?

>What is everyone working on?
Penning my feature film
>What have you finished recently?
Nothing, been working to pay bills
>What problems are you running into?
Needing to pay bills

give it a bit i'll post about it when we're done

should be cool

It was a school project and we got a B minus.

waiting patiently

kek, the equivallent of getting a 60% rating on RT
did you tell your teachers that they're a bunch of faggots who can't understand art?

Would anyone like to read the first 20 pages of my screenplay?

Try the discord, threads are to short and fleeting for someone to properly read it and give feedback. Unless your off course want a quick pat on the back.

bump

Where the americans at with their stuff

bump

I left filmschool back in April as I feel better suited as a self taught filmmaker. Has anyone else here gotten far without assistance from an educational institution? Just curious

second
I have zero chance of going to film school at this point, any other definitive source other than watching and reading about films themselves?

you want the truth?
no
you want some reassurance?
you can make it on your own but it's harder and you'll have to rely on yourself for almost everything until you find people to work with a literal nobody that never went to film school for connections

There are many roads. And it really depends on the country. Here in the Netherlands there are a lot of funding programs and organizations that only recognize people from 2 film schools (there are more film schools) as filmmakers. Once again there are multiple ways but in my country it is much harder.