Why the hell was U2 writing songs for literally every movie OST back in the 90s?

>Reality Bites
>Batman Forever
>Showgirls
>In the Name of the Father
>Ghost in the Shell
>Mission Impossible
>Goldeneye (wrote the song Janet Jackson sang)
>Miss Sarajevo (Bosnian War documentary)
>Moulin Rouge
>Tomb Raider
>Vanilla Sky
>Gangs of New York
>the score for the Royal Shakespeare Company's 1990 adaptation of A Clockwork Orange
>5 separate Wim Wenders films (4 of which were named after the songs the band wrote for the movies; the last one had the entire soundtrack done by U2 and the script co-written by Bono)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QJcffwEdxgA
youtu.be/MLLNaWs5SH0
youtube.com/watch?v=e9YSBc5iJqA
youtube.com/watch?v=P1WKYnPNdiE
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because back then they still had artistic merit

i beg to differ. they were the worst whores imaginable
youtube.com/watch?v=QJcffwEdxgA

>artistic merit
>hollywood movies
jej

Find a flaw. You can't.

U2 is the plebbiest of all pleb bands and they make "cool" but extremely inoffensive music

youtu.be/MLLNaWs5SH0

elevation really is a great song

>U2
>not always having been complete milquetoast soft rock/adult contemporary for 50 year old soccer moms.

They're in the same category as Air Supply or Matchbox 20

they have a wide range of appeal. like the beatles. why does this frighten you?

Wild Honey and Peace on Earth and Grace are not good.

I don't know why critics and the general public hailed this as U2's 3rd masterpiece. I know it was a "back to basics" album with Eno and Lanois producing again but frankly it was fairly weak and a watered down version of their older sound and lyrical style.

Remember that time Bono wrote a movie that made no fucking sense and was practically a Wiseau-tier disaster?

Mel Gibson even called it dogshit during a promotional tour for the movie lol

>It was at the end of a day where I had done 6,000 interviews, some guy was ragging on the film and it just slipped out. Later, I thought 'God, why did I say that? I'm an idiot! I produced this film. I'm distributing it!' It was pretty thoughtless of me, because a lot of people worked very hard on that film, and the fact is there are moments of genius in it. The soundtrack is by U2, and it's phenomenal. So I really regret saying that. I have written a lot of apology letters about it.[4]

Even the apology sounds like he still hates the movie but regrets shitting on the cameramen and craft service guys that worked so hard on it

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985
Woohoohoo

I like Wild Honey, but I agree with the other 2. I think the album came out at the perfect time, but it hasn’t aged as well as the others. It’s super radio-friendly bubbly pop, and they’re better than that

you forgot Until the End of the World
also Tina Turner not Janet Jackson

Though the 1983 - 1985 period is a close second, the 90s were the most fruitful period for the band's creativity, stylistic progression and sonic experimentation, while still balancing critical acclaim and commercial success.

GOAT ost song coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=e9YSBc5iJqA

is there a faggier band than U2?

Thirty Seconds to Mars. Same thing, but worse.

but at least they have based emperor Leto

Coldplay

that was just the 90s, U2 still looks like that

Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Maroon 5, OneRepublic, Train, 21 Pilots, etc. etc. U2 were a good band from the late 70s up until the year 2000 imo. After that they wrote some ocassional good songs throughout the 2000s but a lot of really bland, bad songs too. And in the 2010s they just became absolute shit.

>brit "humor"
Pure cancer.

>is there a faggier band than U2?
Yea, pretty much most of them...

If Bono hadn't gone all activist douchebag, they probably wouldn't have the hate reaped on them that they do now.

Now THAT'S some fucking cancer right there...

>wrote the song Janet Jackson sang
Tina Turner ya dweeb

The one for Batman is pretty cool.

But yeah, the coldplay of their generation.

Yeah I realize that

U2 are full mum-core and they suck

Idiot.

Yes

Have you heard their early stuff? Seriously

You're the idiot.

>doesn't have a father so calls old music "mum-core" instead

The GITS song is really good.
youtube.com/watch?v=P1WKYnPNdiE
Their earlier work is nothing like their other shit.

That is usually the case. Most actors who want to shit on a movie they've done, do it because the script is a mess, or the director is an idiot, or the producers fucked up everything. Not because the DP was lazy, or the key grips were sleeping on the job. They know that the production side of the job almost always bring everything to the table and no one cares about who they are.

Same goes for Phil Collins

Cant stand the Edge's meme guitar playing, dotted eighths on a delay pedal, fucking cancerous

This is the only OST that matters band-wise

You're the idiot who can't even fact check your thread. Pathetic.

I especially hate it when he does reverse flip drives on his overarching pit drawls. What a fucking hack.

>Cant stand the Edge's meme guitar playing, dotted eighths on a delay pedal, fucking cancerous
Their nineties stuff utilized a wide variety of effect pedals. The man's more of a sonic architect than a shredder.

10/10 made me google

I'm not even the guy you were responding to, you idiot!

Jumping in to other people's conversations for attention? You're an idiot AND sad.

I don't know. Is your dad in a band?

Holy shit this is kino. I never knew it was U2 doing the credits song. The only song I really know by them is Vertigo and that shit sucks.

>U2 did a song for the first Ghost in the Shell movie

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

See:
It's credited to "Passengers" aka U2 and their long-time producer Brian Eno.

You're the sad idiot.

>The only song I really know by them is Vertigo

fucking americans

underage Americans maybe. I'm 19 and I can name like 6 huge U2 songs that I used to hear all the time on the radio and shit when I was younger.

>tfw you see them live and they are fucking god tier

>19
What, when you you were 5? And you're calling other people underage?

I don't understand what your post is.

With the access the internet gives us to information, record companies can no longer monopolize access to music, and the musician will be relegated back to being little more than the degenerate gypsies that they've always been.

Bono said he already wrote that song for Batman Forever before the studio asked him too.

Because you're retarded.

K

DELET THIS

Pathetic

Are the same kid calling people idiots and other basic insults?