>not having gears
>no manual transmission
>servo steering wheel
>electronics everywhere
musk might be a genious but his hard on for self driving cars is cancerous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vrxyr1CjiSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>This is where fleet learning comes in handy. Initially, the vehicle fleet will take no action except to note the position of road signs, bridges and other stationary objects, mapping the world according to radar. The car computer will then silently compare when it would have braked to the driver action and upload that to the Tesla database

enjoy ur botnet car

It cost hundreds to replace a TPMS imagine when this thing fails, you'll have to sell a kidney.

>solar flare happens
>anannymous haxxx your car
pic related

That Russian guy who played Chekhov in the new Star Trek series got killed when the electronic parking break on his car failed and crushed him in his driveway. I'll never understand why engineers think (or are prodded by executives) to put in electrical components where a simple lever is not only cheaper but infinitely more reliable.

I'm mostly interested in the ethics of this, and I can't wait to see which way the AIs end up getting programmed. All the other points seem trivial.

Capitalism.

>electric handbrake
>electric steering wheel
>electric gearstick
I love seeing fags in new cars during the winter when their servo steering fucks up their control
>people laughed at my old lada I got for 200 euros
>I deja vu the fuck out of corners during the winter
>friend wrecked her audi because she couldnt drive without servo steering

>All the other points seem trivial.
In my area, there are entire neighborhoods of tens of thousands of people who exclusively work driving cabs, it's an historic profession here; the Paki cabbie, working all damn night to put his kids through school. I just have to wonder what will happen to the social fabric once these jobs are gone.

This is what the shift looks like in that guy's car. Such a godawful design.

Trucking will probably be the first to go. I could see Walmart or a major freight line heavily investing in this tech (they probably already have.)

It's not like they're gonna be gone like snap. Sure they will be displaced eventually but there will be a time when the Paki cabbie is on the road yelling at the AI cabbie for driving too dangerously. Hell, I'm sure the Paki cabbie will survive as a niche service for purists, but fewer and fewer Pakis will rely on this. Second generation Pakis will become mayors of towns and cities - it's already happening in the UK and Shodan hasn't even taken the wheel yet - and newly immigrated Pakis will find some other shitty job. As automation increases the value and importance of education increases, but even the dumbest Luddite still reaps the benefits of the increased productivity - we have basically seen it all during industrial revolution, that's why I'm saying it's trivial. But back then the steam engine didn't have the capacity to decide which human lives and which dies, and that's where all the juicy action is this time.

FedEx and Amazon have alot to gain also.

>Will work in traditional transportation fields (cab driving, OTR trucking, etc.) dry up?

No. There will always be a human element. If anything, transportation related jobs will become easier and require a smaller skill set.

Truckers and cab drivers will become big babysitters just like airline pilots are today.

I was going to make a nostalgic post glorifying muh USSR engineering, but then I realized they probably simply didn't have the tech to make all the systems electric.

warranty?

its still fun as fuck to drive and you cant fucking dent it, the fucker is a tank

>'ll never understand why engineers think (or are prodded by executives) to put in electrical components where a simple lever is not only cheaper but infinitely more reliable.

Because in the age of the internet almost anyone would be able to fix their own problems - all these shitty electronic components mean they have to take it into the shop for even the most minor of problems.

>getting cucked by the autojew
>cant even change a lightbulb without taking it to the mechanic or replacing the entire light
>has to get the car repaired because if one system fails the car wont start

>Because in the age of the internet almost anyone would be able to fix their own problems

Tbh I think that it's the reverse of this, if anything. The car-that-requires-you-go-to-the-shop is receptively marketed to the vast majority of normies that don't know even basic shit about cars.

I just don't want to deal with the responsibilities of owning a car like insurance.

This. I got a '97 Subaru (yez I am faggot plz kill me) four years ago with 120k miles on it for $700. Been on city streets for four years, at 150k now. Only ever had to take it in for inspection.

getting this fucker next month, easy to find parts, and can make my own If I need to

Trucking won't be under threat from self driving cars. Truckers don't just drive, they have to onload, offload, perform maintenance, etc.

>Truckers don't just drive, they have to onload, offload, perform maintenance, etc

This is true. However, could these not all be done by on-site employees at both ends of the trip, and emergency maintenance performed by locally based mechanics? One of the biggest draws of OTR trucking is the overtime hours one gets from having to physically be in the truck at all hours during the trip. I feel like to cut the costs of freight transportation, carriers would try foremost to eliminate these wages.

>overtime hours

Kek. You get 11 hours to drive per day, most companies pay by the mile.

Damn dude, that's a gem. Wish we had quality used VW's kicking around in the states. They're hard to find, and if you do it's typically been mangled by some Chad with shitty after-market shit.

Automated transportation will completely replace human drived cars in all remotely developed countries within 30 years. It's like upgrading from horse carriages to cars was.

Shit, my bad. The principle remains the same though, the draw of the job is the unique and opportunistic nature of the pay scale. It's one of the remaining jobs outside of cities where you can make more than a decent living doing it.

This sounds incredible. It will be like the roadways in Minority Report.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vrxyr1CjiSM

honestly i can't wait for self driving cars because people can be total retards on the road

but at the same time i believe people should be able to do things for themselves and i do not want these jobs to disappear.

School buses
>the school district will know exactly where the bus travels and when it makes stops. Increased child safety.

Truck Drivers
>current truckers are not allowed to work more than 11 hours a day, this includes paperwork and maintenance. automated trucks could drive 24/7, decreasing shipping times in half and increasing production across all industrial sectors

Ambulances
>people have had heart attacks and their auto drives have take n them to hospitals. Saves lives.

Drunk Drivers
>no longer an issue. This one will be huge in 10 years when teens are buying 2nd hand autonomous cars.

Road trips
>drive throughout the night if you need to be somewhere by morning, sleep in car.

UPS and USPS
>packages delivered 24/7 to facilities.

Uber is a current threat to these people.

Yeah, I know. It's hard to balance the fact that Uber is admittedly a more useful service than the old-style yellow and gypsy cabs, but the drivers are getting fucked in the ass. The worst part about the 'gig' economy for these people is that it's ostensibly a more free-form wage schedule, but in reality it simply demands that to maintain their former income, they have to work as long or longer hours. Can't stop it, but these dudes are looking more and more worn out every time I take a car.

I'm an automotive engineer. I doubt commercial trucks will be fully automated in my lifetime. The new big push is for platooning, where you network 3 or 4 trucks together and they drive as a single unit. Insanely boring for the dudes in the rear trucks though. Fleet owners generally don't give a shit about that though.

Do they physically connect the trucks to each other or is it just AI copying everything the head driver does?

The AI copies it. We've got a working setup right now we drive around a couple roads. It handles straightaways and lane changes well but not turns.

The big problem is adverse conditions. Snow on the road basically makes lane departure warnings quit, for example. And that's a huge part of automated driving sooooo

I'm a programmer and I dont see this happening in our lifetimes

man any kind of automated shit goes belly up every now and then and its a fucking hassle even if no one dies when it happens

this? this is a nightmare

Automatic cars cant into Brazil roads... Too many holes, robbers and prostitutes.

Also nothing works right here tehehe