Used to watch HBO when parents weren't home to see this, and edgy "adult" anime

>used to watch HBO when parents weren't home to see this, and edgy "adult" anime

90's kids remember how big Spawn was, but where did it go wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-HLuTae-s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

After Malebolgia Came back

Violator>Joker

Fight me faggots.

Spawn was too back and forth with it's power level
One episode he could manera short work of 3 thugs
In another a fat piece of crap could go head to head against him
The story was all over the place

>but where did it go wrong?

Silly user, cartoons are for kids. Spawn was never long for this world, and nothing like it would be, too 'adult' and serious for a cartoon.

That's why the most mature animated things you'll find are shitty comedies with overly cartoonish characters. You pretty much cap out at Family Guy level crap.

A new series is supposed to air on HBO. Currently in development hell.
youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-HLuTae-s

>Currently in development hell.

Development Hell in this case is the execs telling them to make it lighter and put jokes in.

"Why can't you be more like the Simpsons or Family Guy?"

I heard that it might come out before or after the movie.

>where did it go wrong?

For starters, that awful live-action film did nothing to help the "Spawn" property.

But beyond that...well, "Spawn" is a uniquely 1990s property. The character's creation was spurred by the "grimdark" era of comic books that coincided with that decade. Without changing the eponymous hero himself or otherwise evolving the property beyond its "grimdark" roots, "Spawn" shall remain a relic of the 1990s, a character who represents both the best and the worst of the comic book industry's creative impulses at the time.

Pretty much this, if you were going to reinvent Spawn in such a way that it wouldn't be considered completely ridiculous today, you'd basically just be copying Hellboy/BPRD in many ways.

And "sanitizing" the property to compete with the likes of Marvel and DC would both repeat the mistakes of the live-action film and piss off what little fanbase the property has left.

Trends move in cycles...right now, everything is about bright neon colors and unicorns and crap, we're basically living in the 80s part 2....soon enough the kids who are young enough to thing this shit is lame will be the age we are now, and grim and gritty will be back in fashion

>And "sanitizing" the property to compete with the likes of Marvel and DC would both repeat the mistakes of the live-action film
What do you mean by this?

The live-action film tried its best to turn a property aimed towards adults and make it "acceptable" to general audiences. Sure, the film had violence and swearing and "adult themes", but if you watch it today - even in its "uncut" form - it comes off as no worse than the average Marvel movie.

He was a flash in the pan. That gaudy grimdark style of his went out of fashion as quickly as it came in. Basically Spawn is disco.

I like how he made his way into Soul Calibur II for the Xbox, but I don't like how he's the only character whose English voice is on par with the Japanese voices. More games should have had per-character voice options.

The superior "Soulcalibur II" will always be the Gamecube version. Link for life.

I have to disagree because the gamecube gamepad is absolutely atrocious for fighting games

That is a fair reason to disagree.

The Gamecube is the only controller that's technically really good, but only works well for a handful of games at best: Smash Bros., Metroid, and Double Dash. Its d-pad sucked, and third parties got shafted.

So before or after never.

The fact the series never continued. Cartoons/movies/games/tv etc are what keep charterers in the public mind. So spawn faded from most peoples mind.

Isn't Spawn the only comic superhero most people can name that's not Marvel or DC? And I mean they know he's a comic character too.

He had a bitching cape, that was nice

Burke and Twitch are what made the show for me. Violator was cool, yet he stops appearing with s2. Spawn was a shit character, he literally never went anywhere, it's always "muh wanda"; and save for the first episode, only thing we see of him are those lazy green eyes over a black background. Fuck wanda, she's just an annoying cunt, Wynn didn't go anywhere as well, feels like the writers didn't know shit to do with him after s1.

It's just Burke and Twitch for me. Fuck the rest

If I remember right, HBOs animatino department closed is what went wrong. there were rumors they were even gonna try a Strangers in Paradise cartoon, but when the animation department folded, all of that stuff did too.

Over the turtles?

Slawn was huge in the 90s, that's true for people like 25 and older.....but kids today probably have no idea who he is

Everyone I have met that said they were a fan of the turtles had no idea there were ever any comics. They know either the movies or the 80s cartoon.

the comics do suck so they're not missing out

Spawn was reluctant to use his powers because they were finite and once he depleted them he would get sent back to Hell

Personally I think McFarlane fucked up Spawn when he moved him from being a horror super hero to just a horror character. He works better as a super hero, a dark twisted version and take on the concept, but a super hero in the core DNA.

It had a fucking OC kid sidekick character for Spawn. Even back in the 90s, we could tell it was the "kid-friendly" Spawn.

i loved sam and twitch

Yeah they add a lot to Spawn and are completely underrated. If someone talks about Spawn and doesn't mention Sam and Twitch, that's how you know they're a casual and don't read the comics.

i didnt read the comics. i only saw the cartoon

Not being a dick, I would give Slawn comics a shot. Rod McFarlish's Slawn.