Is "China man" a racial slur?

Is "China man" a racial slur?

I was just at work and my coworker asked me where I bought some fruits that I was holding, and I told him from the China man. Which is a fruit place not far from my office building. My supervisor.. Who is a middle aged Indian woman called me into our managers office.. Who is chinese woman and explained what I said.

For the next 30 minutes they said how they are shocked by my racism...abd how hr would have to get involved and I'd most likely have to be relocated. They didn't even let me fucking talk. It was fucked. They sent me home early because they said they couldn't trust me in the office.

Literally wtf.

sue

>Polish man
>French man
>Russian man
>American man
>Italian man

are the people you work for retards or ?

I plan to call a few lawyers tomorrow. I have the rest of the week off.. Unpaid also. So I'll have time. Luckily my coworkers can vouche for me, that I'm not a fucking racist. But I don't know... Our company has a strong legal team and our HR department is insanely strict. I may have usted myself. Funny part is, that China man I buy fruits from is actually one of the nicest guys downtown here and we are cool with one another.

She mentioned something along the lines of that I said China man and not Chinese man. That China man is a racial slur. Also she said that we don't identity people by race and that I don't even know he's Chinese. I don't fucking get it at all. I'm rattled.

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

>working for pakis
>ever

no. this is just what minorities do to white people in non-white countries. Considering you have asian and indian women for supervisors you should start reading into Zimbabwe after independence

>Chinaman (female variant: Chinawoman) is a contentious English language term that denotes a Chinese man or person, or as a Chinese national, or, in some cases, an indiscriminate term for a person native to geographical East Asia or of perceived East Asian race.

Meh, you deserve it, racist scum.

You have a case for a lawsuit, especially if the place you are referring to is literally called "China Man" with a sign that says the same thing.

Even if it isn't, you can have a lawyer make the case what you said was not generally considered a racial slur, and you did not make it in any manner of derogatory manner. Their treatment of you could be considered hostile for that reason.

You live in Canada, right? Tell the courts they hurt your fee fees and you might get paid.

>They didn't even let me fucking talk. It was fucked.
No, you just don't know how to assert yourself.

>China man
is not racist, it's just improper English.

It should be Chinese man unless "the China man" is the name of his fruit place.

Just like
>Jew banker
is not anti-semetic, it's just improper English.

It should be Jewish banker.

What the fuck, Canada?

Pretty sure Canadians are supposed to learn this isn't PC in school because the term has a lot of loaded history with the yellow peril.

I never fully understood the discrepancy myself. I guess Chinaman has a historically racist connotation but it's also ridiculously close to the "PC" label anyway so it seems silly to distinguish.

Is the shop actually cared China man?

lmao you can't just call a china man a china man.

reminds me of southern california in the early 90's when i thought "mexican" was the same as "nigger"

these aren't the people who built the railroads, walter. they peed on my rug!

Are they Chinese and a man? If so then it's pretty literal.

My girlfriend is Singaporean Chinese and if she heard this story she would laugh, Chinese people wouldn't give a shit at all (of course assuming how innocently you said it)

1. What area of the land do you live (roughly speaking)?

2. What kind of place do you work at (service, retail; manufacturing; health care, etc.)?

3. Have you had problems in the past of a similar nature?

It would literally take five seconds to explain "No China Man is the name of the place."

If you're this fucking retarded then you deserve it, leaf.

The Dude is a fucking Hillary supporter man!

>Buy nice hipster shirt from hipster store
>Co worker asks me where I got it
>Bought it from Hitler
>Another Shoah

I'll just be straight up with you guys

1. Toronto
2. Financial industry
3. None. Literally clean as they come. I also participate in all those fund raisers, marathons etc.

Also more. The place is not called China man. But the man who owns it is a man that's from China.

I'm disappointed you didn't add another man to the end, man.

Same as using "Coloreds" or "Negroid". My wife says "that colored guy" all the time unaware that it's pretty racist in modern culture. She picked it up from her Dad, who isn't racist, but has blue collar roots. It probably makes it worse that she's blonde and blue eyed.

It is considered a racial slur, but is pretty rare in Canada. It's mainly used in the UK where I think it wasn't a slur about thirty years ago. That's digging pretty deep to be offended. Ask any Chinese person (myself included) whether they're offended, and they'll probably tell you no.

It's like a fire man fights fires, or a post man. he's a man from china.

women and niggers that candle handle work place bantz, gtfo.
#Proudtobebluecollar
#Backofthelineforthecoffeetruckyounigger

it's not fucking derogatory maybe in the past when chinese were still assimilating. that's the only reason people think it's a no no word

I am too, man :(

This
If what you are saying is true and you did indeed get the fruit from a shop called "the china man" then you can definitely sue for unfair dismissal, especial since you were dismissed without being given an opportunity to explain what happened

calling belgian "belg" is not racist
calling japanese "jap" is racist

I wonder how they would react if I called them slint eyed shrimp dicks

I'm Chinese and this is hilarious.

Also the fruit place has a super generic name like "fruits and vegetables" I literally can't think of a better way to describe the place. When I said oh from the China man, my coworker knew right away of the place.

>china man is bad
>african american is okay

Like you're living in like the second most chinese filled province in Canada.

I don't know how you missed the message about the Chinese not liking the term Chinaman. Although the reaction you got was a bit surprising. I would think there would be a bit of tolerance for obliviousness, I don't get the impression you meant anything by calling somebody a chinaman.

i hope for a future where we refer to people as 'being' and 'it' to avoid any presumptions or microaggressions. until then we'll never get any big issues solved

he's fucked. no one cares. they'd throw the case out. you're not allowed to be aware of race as a white person. period. end of story. you're on the streets.

don't even think of channelling all that rage and hopeless confusion into a mass shooting.

In Chinese the word for Chinese person is literally "China man"
It's really quote innocent in its origin.

I obviously didn't. That guy is one of the nicest guys and had the best fruits near my office. No reason to hate the man.

Sue them

the Chinaman is not the issue here.

Yeah, haha. You stepped in some PC doo-doo.

If you work finance in Toronto, your company possibly has some major Asian contracts, so you might look into the history of race relations between West and East during the N.A. westward expansion.

It is close to but not on par with calling an indigenous American woman a squaw or calling the Mexican who does your landscaping "the Frito Bandito".

You should buy an AR-15, twelve magazines and three hundred sixty 5.56 rounds and go kill them all desu

Didn't happen

Seems like your bosses are really well trained in this PC garbage. Is your Chinese boss whitewashed, mainland Chinese, or from HK?

Magazines are pinned to 5 rounds max. He'll have to buy the magazines stateside, disassemble them, and then bring them into Canada. Which is perfectly legal, because the parts aren't considered a magazine.

prove it didn't happen

Welcome to the leftist utopia.

lets be real saying 'China man' is a sketchy

She is as white washed as they come.

Gather up as much evidence as you can. A picture of the store showing that its called "China Man". A testimonial from your coworker you were speaking to. Don't be angry or confrontational about it. Don't bring up lawyers, but provide enough shit to back yourself up.

HR may very well side with you. Their job is to protect the company from lawsuits, especially lawsuits from their own employees.

Your job will probably be safe in the short term, but your days will be numbered there. I've got a feeling your manager was looking for any reason to get rid of you anyway. I'd apply for new jobs and jump ship before they find a legitimate reason to get rid of you.

Keyword(s) here is Women Supervisor.

When will society learn to put these shameless sluts back in the kitchen and let men run the world 100%

I'm sorry to hear it. Asians can integrate so well our whitewashed women turn out as retarded as white women.

>person of color is fine
>colored isn't

I want off this ride. Just let me go into the afterlife.

>and I told him from the China man. Which is a fruit place not far from my office building.

How were you not able to explain this? If the name of the business is "the china man" then that's all you needed to say. Be a fucking man. Talk over people when they don't let you get a word in. Fuck.

>be 15
>eating at a kickass Chinese restraunt with Grandpa
>Grandpa say "Boy, them Chinamen sure know how to cook."
>Chink sitting in the booth behind us has his sides eject from his body at Mach 3

The word for a chinese person in chinese is 中国人.
中国 - China
人 - Man
Hence they say china man in their own language. Its the most accurate translation of how they refer to themselves.

No way man

Coloured is fine, many people use it

Negroid? Makes you look like a scientific racist no matter the situation, sad but true (because it's a fun word to say)

Even negro is going to get you a few funny looks. Here, at least

Well best of luck OP. Personally I would just be honest and say you were oblivious to the history behind the term and saying you called people irishmen and englishmen and thought this was ok.

I don't quite understand why your co-workers are getting this asshurt.

>Polish man
Poland-man
>French man
France-man
>Russian man
Russia-man
>American man
Burger
>Italian man
Mafiosa
>German man
Uber-man

It really brought the room together...

Tell the dumb cunt you're going to sue her. If there literally is a place named "the China Man" that you bought the items from, you're fine.

This seems like my best bet atm. Thanks.

Or he can just unpin some 30 rounds mag.

shut the fuck up, Donny.

>German man
Muslim man

I am the walrus

>shop actually cared China man?

Subtle, 'roo.

>uberman

This user hit the nail on the head. They must want you gone.

>things that never happened
>t. a leaf

Asian American women are libcucked to hell usually. Pretty much all of the ones I met in college were it is ridiculous.

This is an absolutely retarded way to approach the situation. Do not try and argue your way out of this situation on a technicality. Are you both autistic.

I'm not sure if arguing the history of the term is the best idea here if it's your boss you're up against. If she's nutty enough to react to "China man" anything other than a deep apology saying that you never knew it was offensive (but read up about the western railroads last night, et cetera) will just make things worse. If you can't go over her and appeal to someone who isn't cucked, you're going to have to get with the program, unfortunately.

>supervisor
>Indian Woman
>Manager
>Chinese woman

You're better off without that job. I can smell the designated shitting cubicle and retard cage from here.
Should've just told your manager that you ain't never gonna be accused of racism by no fucking chink and you quit.

Fuck you're right. Anyways thanks guys. I just really fucking had to talk about this with some unbiased anons.

I'll probably write up an apology email explain my ignorance blah blah.

Although a part of me doesn't even want to work for these people anymore. But for now I need the fucking money.

It might have different connotations where I live. There's almost no black people in this region, so when people encounter one, they fall back to "old methods". Every one knows that nigger is derisive but few of my neighbors are aware that the standard term has changed. Unintentional racism or whatever. It doesn't matter where I live anyway.

In OP's case, use of the term is a red flag that he's sort of lower class and working class. This might be more of a status conflict than a microaggression situation. A finance company may only want the high-flyers, since they have to project an image that isn't akin to a plumbing store. (No offense meant).

>check flag
Not even surprised you're a cuck desu senpai

that's a shame. I would love to be called a USA Man or an America Man but im not ashamed of my ancestors history

If you're in toronto china man is a slur 100%

Kek.

Order chinese food every day for a week and when the delivery guy gets there, tell everybody it's your best friend Wang.

>off this ride
user, if you get off the train when its going full speed forward, you are going to die!

it's a sports term in cricket

Pot calling the kettle black, etc. But realistically, if OP wants to keep his job he'll have to toe the line. No day of the rope just yet.

Best of luck.

chinaman is double plus ungood

What was the place called?

The company you work for seems to suck some serious yellow balls...

Any chance you can start a competing company without that shit tier level of reasoning?

Of course you were being offensive, should have just said 'chink' like a normal person,

To be fair our blacks aren't *too* bad.

I just call them people unless they give me reason not to.

Explain to them that in Chinese the term for a Chinese person is written 中国人 and literally means "China man." You were being sensitive to his cultures linguistic sensibilities

American man burger is literally the best laugh I've had in a while.

Kudos American, bants against yourself is the first step. I'm proud.

> Indian woman
> chinese woman

your problem is women.

women are fked in the head.

Do hire a lawyer to send them a demand letter alleging race discrimination. I don't know much about Canada, but in the US they'd have to consider settling your claim.

>Unbiased anons

You know we're biased as fuck...
I hope you all the best but I wish you'd work for a better company. Hopefully one will come along.

Oh, and to make an argument that you were fired because you're white, it would help if you can show that non-whites were treated differently in similar circumstances. For example, if you have non-whites who were not fired after making statements that are anti-white or could be perceived to be insensitive.

That's a pretty solid point. I'd love to be called an Englishman or even England man.

Why the fuck would that be offensive? You should be proud of where you're from, even if people use "the wrong terminology".

Take a picture of the shop user

OP could have used the term "cocksucking chinacunt" and it still wouldn't be racist.

It makes me sperg out with autistic rage every time someone claims that a derogatory term involving nationality is "racist". It's fucking chauvinistic you dumb cunts.