Why did Roy save Deckard?

Why did Roy save Deckard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He wanted to be remembered

Because he knew Deckard was just another of his species brainwashed by the humans to kill his own specie. He felt sad for Deckard.

If he killed him he would be no better than a human

The machine was malfunctioning in its last moments

>if you kill your enemies, they win

He knew Deckard was a replicant

he wanted his soliloquy to be witnesses

It's explained how he got old if his a replicant? doesn't replicants have a short lifespan?
Or is all retcon bullshit?

So they could make a sequel 35 years later

It's hinted at in the original that the next generation models might live longer (which is what Rachel was and Deckard might be). Clearly stated that they couldn't extend the life of the existing models though. The new movie flat out says the Nexus 8 models had open-ended lifespans.

Ok that makes sense.

the series doesn't seem very well thought out

how did they even get back to earth being dying, with their short lifespans?

He knew he was just following orders. He empathized with slaves

If you listen very closely, under the sound of thunder you can hear him say "ah! Kinship!" as he grabs Deckard.

You can read that a number of ways. Either a) now that Deckard has experienced the fear Batty lives with he now considers them kindred spirits, and chooses to save him to show that he is human after all, or b) that he realises from the absurd amount of punishment Deckard survives at his hands that Deckard is also a replicant, and he doesn't want to kill a fellow slave.

Or both.

He killed billions.

I think A works a whole lot better than B, personally. Plus ultimately, Batty's struggle is every human's struggle. People forget this. He's experiencing it on a much shorter timescale but everybody has to deal with their mortality. That their experiences, memories and knowledge will all die with them and there's no way to put more years on that clock.

He wanted the same mastery over life and death as the beings that created him. He realized that saving Deckard despite having every right to kill him then and there was the ultimate power of human expression. It's not a case of but more wishing to attain that flicker of recognition from Deckards eyes, as one man to another.

Book goes into this a little better, especially with the whole Mercerism aspect.

What's going on in this thread...

>Don't be like me, Robin. Killing for revenge is bad. Now watch as I take your revenge kill away to sate my murderous desires.

he didnt save him, he realized his time was up and it was pointless to kill deckard at that point

how was it pointless? deckard killed his friends and his girl.

Empathy.

And killing him wouldn't bring them back, it would only snuff out another life. More tears in the rain.

He saves him from falling to his death

more human than human

I don't know why he saved Deckard's life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life. Anybody's life. Deckard's life.

why doesnt he save my life next :(

A better question is, and one more inexplicable, is why did Pris let Deckard live when she had him? For some reason she lets go and does another weird flip only to get shot.

women aren't very smart

>she

kek

>it

>tit

because he's an hero and a real human bean. Did you even watch the movie?

He was created to kill, and by defying his programming and saving Deckard he proved that the replicants have free will, and are every bit as human as their creators.

He exposed the monstrous nature of humanity's crimes against the replicants

Deckard was NOT a replicant. He wasn't in the book and he wasn't in the *original* film.

Roy saved Deckard because Roy had attained genuine humanity. His humanity allowing him to pity Deckard and to have him know he was as human, if not more human (as well as humane) than Deckard.

He wanted his last moments of life to prove that his kind were capable of more than cold blooded murder. If it was publicized that replicants could spare humans than maybe humans could learn to spare replicants.

Pretty much, except for the fact that he led a band of Nexus 6s that slaughtered humans whenever possible.

God damn I fucking hate Sup Forums

Why did Deckard fuck Rachel? THEY WERE ON A BREAK

>Roy was a human all along, but mkultrad to believe he is a replicant, so he can go on a killingspree without feeling too bad about it

many such cases

In the end he made Deckard feel as he felt. Hunted, dominated, afraid. He had no reason to kill him anymore, he had made his point. He wanted Deckard to remember that feeling, and remember how he felt, to leave his impact on the world.

this is the answer, specially considering the contents of his monologue, he wants to be remembered by SOMEONE, it's his final resort to prolongue his life's worth, that's why he goes on about his memories to deckard

Exactly. This this more evidence Deckard is not a replicant and, in a sense, was forced to empathize this the replicant's life.

Could THIS be anymore of a Blade Runner thread?

under rated post

youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg

she's a pleasure model. she isn't a good fighter ultimately.

I always kind of read it as him coming to terms with his imminent death and wanting to pass on some of his experiences to Deckard (c-beams glittering in the dark etc) to leave some kind of mark on the world. Same kind of idea with Roy chasing Deckard so he knows 'what it is to be a slave'.

no idea. my dad was asking me last night.

Yup, if he killed him, his humanity would be lost forever, and he'd only be remembered as a malfunctioning machine.

Imagine being Deckard in this scene

Huh is that the new movie or what

srsly i don't remember it from the first movie

For reserch purpose

the original

Panzer

Its extremely ambiguous about Deckard being a replicant. But depending in what theory you buy into its hinted.

>Its extremely ambiguous about Deckard being a replicant. But depending in what theory you buy into its hinted.
It's not at all. How obvious it is depends on the version but the definitive version spells it out for you. Ridley Scott when asked if Deckard was a replicant: "Of course!"

She's an assassin model you clueless injun. Zhora is the pleasure robot.

Fuck off with muh I could never take another's life argument

Sort of true.
His motivation was the same at the ending as it was through the entire movie. He didn't just want to simply be remembered, he wanted to SURVIVE. In the end he realized the only way to continue to "live" was in a figurative sense. By forcing Deckard to experience the same fight for survival that Roy fought his entire life, Roy passed on his experience to Deckard and in a sense lived through him.

This may sound like a nitpick but the reason the survival theme is so important is because that is paramount to being a living being and the greater theme within the movie of blurring the line between the artificial and the genuine and what it means to be alive.

Interestingly the new movie is almost the exact opposite of this. Instead of a human questioning his humanity it's a replicant questioning his artificiality. Instead of a theme of something so natural like simple survival we have a theme of finding meaning in death or finding a reason to die/a cause to die for. Instead of a cast of human characters with very human portrayals we have a cast of caricatures and saturday morning cartoon villains as a backdrop to a robot that doesn't even have a name until half way through the movie. 6/10 wish credits rolled before harrison ford was introduced.

One of the very first questions asked by the bladerunner during the Voight-Kampf Test I believe was: "You see a turtle on its back. What do you do?" Presumably, the question is trying to out a replicant by detecting a lack of empathy or compassion for a living creature.
Roy refutes this question at the end. Roy knows his time is up. He toys with Deckard to make him experience the fear of living as a replicant. "Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Finally, Deckard is before him clinging to the ledge and seconds away from falling to his demise. Roy is confronted here with a living creature in need of his help, similar to the turtle on its back. But instead of letting him fall, Roy saves him, showing through his actions that replicants aren't devoid of what people may call "humanity." He confides in him to leave his mark on the world and allow his experiences to carry on, giving meaning to his own life.

And Harrison Ford said the opposite. And so does Philip K. Dick. And in the theatrical cut Deckard is recently divorced and in the book Deckard is married. Most of the ambiguity in the movie actually came from errors in production. It just so happened that the mystery of it made the movie a lot better.

He needed Deckard to believe he was dead so that they would stop hunting him. He later went over and fucking the living hell out of Rachel before dying for real. In the throws of the passionate excruciating last day on earth fuck it sex, he impregnated Rachel, not deck. The third film will be directed by m. night. shamalon, blade cuck.

Because he's ALRIGHT!

>Kinship!

he saw a dying man and sympathized with him