Disney's Robin Hood

Just rewatched Robin Hood after not having seen it in over a decade or remembering specific details beyond the basic plot. For all the recycled animation and fairly episodic events that were blatant enough for me to notice as a kid when I otherwise didn't know much about animation (and I guess it being a known gateway furry thing), I feel like the end result is better than it should be.

Feels pretty charming even when you know they were half-assing it; like the simplicity of plot/animation adds to the down-to-earth mood or something. Characters were all likeable and had some good interactions, and there were a surprising amount of secondary characters used in a way that didn't feel forced. Dialogue was actually pretty funny a lot of the time.

It's definitely not a masterpiece; the lazy animation etc. are actual flaws and the climax oddly felt too slow and dragged out. But even with the obvious problems it's known for I was pleasantly surprised to find that I don't think it's bad as an adult and that it works for me as decent entertainment even if not up to the standards of more famous and influential Disney films. I think Disney's done worse, though my opinion here isn't based on just animation quality but the film as a whole.

I might have SHIT TASTE and this is probably pretty incoherent but I just wanted to put this out there while it's still on my mind. Thoughts on Robin Hood I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ULpcSWqC3TA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've always wanted to fuck the snake.

It's forgettable as fuck. Has potential, but it falls flat.

Yeah, it's probably significant that I didn't remember too much of it and I'm not sure how much I'll remember later.

Just my immediate feeling after rewatch was that it was better than I'd expected.

They weren't half assing it. Walt had died and the studio was in turmoil. They were actually pissed to have to recycle, but it was cheaper and they needed to make money.

Maybe it's more it having a reputation now of being half-assed then.

Knew it was made after Walt's death/in the "dark age" for Disney but hadn't really looked into production details..

Only saw it last year. It's very disjointed, at least the first half, but it's comfy as hell.

>comfy
this word means nothing

Comfort (or being comfy or comfortable) is a sense of physical or psychological ease, often characterized as a lack of hardship. Persons who are lacking in comfort are uncomfortable, or experiencing discomfort. A degree of psychological comfort can be achieved by recreating experiences that are associated with pleasant memories, such as engaging in familiar activities,[1] maintaining the presence of familiar objects,[1] and consumption of comfort foods.

The super extra light tone ruins the movie for me, since the villains possess no threat (unless the script suddenly and briefly says so)

youre a lot harder on it than I ever was

I actually think it was really clever
The aspects they recycled still had to be redrawn, they were just reusing the references so they could handle what's really tough and expensive in animation: nice-looking complicated movements like dancing
I felt like the villains posed a tremendous threat because Robin was still mortal. he was unusually deft, yeah, but one arrow and he's dead. and the bad guys had a fucking stranglehold on the entire population, with enough brutes to enforce it. Robin really had his work cut out for him and it felt like a challenge the whole time.
I guess if there had been an Aladdinesque scene where he gives up his dinner to some kid and we see how tough it is being charitable in that situation, that might have gotten it across well enough for you to get the same feeling I did, but honestly 'not in nottingham' did the trick for me

The guy who voiced Prince John also voiced him in German dub.

Robin Hood almost turned me into a furry when I was little, I'm sure of it. I distinctively remember getting a crush on Robin but then immediately thinking "ew he's a fox not a person"

so what you're telling me is you were racist as a kid, and possibly gay

That is mostly your interpretation and imagination. Every time a goon had to be fought, there was no way in Hell the good guys would lose.

The most jarring part is that Marian disappears halfway through the movie.

Peter Ustinov

a goon, sure. that's the idea. he's above the level of low-level enforcement, and he can even hoodwink the big cheese from time to time
but when it comes to, say, freeing people from the prison, the tension was REAL. he came really close to fucking up and losing it all.. and in the end he still barely escaped alive.
that's not how I remember it. I can remember her being involved in all the major parts throughout.. I guess she wasn't super involved during the 'everything really sucks now, people are in priz' part

It is not too late to fuck proto Nick Wilde.

In the original end, he was struck by an arrow fleeing the castle. He gets carried over and hidden away in church. Prince John finds him laying wounded and just about kills him, until King Richard stops him in time. So, at least the writers tried to make him less of an invincible hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=ULpcSWqC3TA

I'm not gay, I'm a girl
Zootopia was a nice try but I'm still not a furry. Though my younger cousin has openly admitted to being in love with Nick Wilde, so there's no saving her.

Fuck the furry out of your cousin.

>girl
>not a furry
well that explains that.

This is one of my favorite Disney films. I didn't know it had a bad reputation.

I mean, I hate musicals, and even I find myself singing Robin Hood and Little John Running through the Forest every now and again.

yeah taking an olde english tale and giving it the trappings of an american western was fucking inspired. Very much like the jungle book portraying jungle life as this real swingin' thing where a kid tries to life his own life to the tunes of jazz.. or yknow, cowboy bebop. using music like that as part of the tone of the movie, intentionally conflicting with the actual setting

comfy is the new "fun"

You know, I re-watched this during the summer (May I think) same as you. Hadn't watched it well over a decade, but it is definitely familiar from when I used to watch it when I was little, all the dialogue and stuff. I agree though that it isn't a Disney masterpiece like Cinderella or anything, but it's definitely a chill movie.
I guess watching this movie a fuckton helped turn me into the furfag I am today. Thanks Disney.
Also I'm pretty fucking homo for Robin

I didn't see this as a kid, but I knew about the urban legend of its supposed role in the creation of furry fandom before my first viewing. After watching, I can believe it.

That said, I can't remember much of the movie at all, except thinking they literally traced the dance scene from Snow White, specifically that retarded open-finger clap.

Meant to post this pic.

Sure,

the first song is super good

>1998 intensifies

>I'm not gay, I'm a girl

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

iunno man she sounds like a normalfag. 'ew' should not be in the lexicon of any girl I want to London with

god damn I am learning a lot of german and I think dutch from these captchas

what is with girls and their love for foxes?

maybe it because they got beautiful fur

source?

No...
No...
NO!

Hearing Phil Harris in 3 Disney movies pissed me off. Incredibly overrated """actor"""

He was a singer not an actor.