Dystopian Box Office Future: Why ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Is Hitting Turbulence With $32M+ Opening

LOL BOMBED

IT FUCKING BOMBED

>What a fascinating business. This weekend a $35 million-budgeted horror movie in its fifth frame will gross close to nine times its production cost with a running domestic B.O. total of $304.5M.

>Related'Blade Runner 2049' Sees $6.9M In Early Offshore Rollout - International Box Office
At the same time, a $155M-plus attempt to reboot a cult sci-fi franchise may not even make it to $100M by the end of its domestic theatrical cycle.

>We are, of course, comparing New Line/Warner Bros.’ It and Alcon Entertainment/Sony’s Blade Runner 2049, and the latter is now looking at a three-day weekend of $32.6M, an awful start for this brilliantly crafted cinematic opus directed by Denis Villeneuve and executive produced by Ridley Scott

>The biggest challenge for Blade Runner 2049 is that the brand hardly means anything to those under 40. We heard for some time that there was concern among those close to the film that the younger crowd wouldn’t show up. Indeed, that’s what we’re seeing, with ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak showing those under 25 repping 24% of all ticket buyers. .

Is that human bean figure real? lmao whats with the forehead?

The original Blade Runner bombed hard as well and only became a cult classic over the years.

So what the fuck were they thinking?

F original movies, it's capeshit now until the end of time

The only people who if something does or doesn't make money are marketers and you've outed yourself as one, probably a capeshitter employee.

Profit != QUALITY

t. faggot

I bet you didn't even watch the fucking movie.

they remade blade runner a couple of years ago but no one remembers it, it even had hal from Malcolm in the middle.
Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and just keeps remaking shit. Nothing new

I believe they'll end uo with a healthy profit. Never underestimate the power of word of mouth. That's why Batman V superman tanked it's second weekend.

The US box office has been doing poorly for awhile now. It'll probably double its budget over seas though, so that's cool.

Press S to spit on Villeneuves's grave.

Nobody will hire that hack ever again.

S
S
S

they were thinking the world wants more unoriginal garbage, reboots, and sequels

Yes and I booked 3 tickets so far because its worth watching in a cinema and will probably never watch it again on torrent at home. Why the fuck should I care it does or doesnt make money as long as I get a good movie to watch at the end of the day

>Sup Forums retards always claim that pajeets and other third world shitholes ruin cinema by watching crap like Transformers and capeshit

>now these same retards are claiming that those pajeets and other third world shitholes will save this stupid flick

Hmmmmmm....

He's literally making the Dune remake

Capeshit companies desperately want to use him

They'll reconsider after seeing this flop, he's doomed

S.

>saves a gif as a jpg
>really expects anyone to listen to his shit opinion

I wanna see it, but I refuse to go to theaters since many years ago. Too expensive, and the experience sucks.

Movies that do well in the younger crowd are movies you'd take a girl to that you wanted to bone. Horror movies are great for that. Blade Runner is not getting anyone any pussy.

Good, he shouldn't pander to the money making jews and just make the art he wants, a true director

>refuses to acknowledge my point because you know I'm right
>instead deviate my point with some pointless crap

Shill are desperate as FUCK.

What do you mean a 163 minute (not including ads) sequel to a 40 year old movie is not getting a 19 year old any pussy?

Not true, I got a shitty handjob after I saw bladerunner

cool. a movie that was made solely because people wanted to make it. there was no way it was going to make back its budget

>get pussy
>handjob

See?

>original
It was a sequel of a movie based on a book, dumdum.

>original
>sequel / soft reboot
you're a borderline capeshiter

So does this mean Nolan's the only director in his generation who can turn a solid profit off a non-franchise film?

>non-franchise film
blade runner 2049 is a franchise film

Fuck I'm dumb.
Well how about slightly artsy film.

>Opening day puts it on path to making 45-60 mil like other Sci-Fi/Action films opening with those numbers

>Word of mouth comes out and it MASSIVELY, RAPIDLY drops off in a matter of days

Ouch.

BUT...

Isn't this to be expected? I thought it was just accepted that they were doing this out of charity - It's nearly three hours long, very slow, very depressing, and a sequel to a similar, huge flop. What could they possibly have been expecting.

When I saw that budget, I just figured it was going to be a write off.

There is no way.

This is the sort of film that makes more money in white, english speaking countries.

International box office will fix this

so, this confirm that it's kino, right?

it's the best hard scifi movie ive seen in a decade

Nolan has never made anything slightly artsy except for Following.

This is like an Anti-Nolan film. It takes material that could have been very commercial and action orientated and slowed it down and made it an "artsy" film like the original.

Nolan takes films that could be artsy, and makes them slick, fast paced, commercial and accessible to normies (not sledging him, I like his work).

>slightly artsy
logan did very well, depends on how slight we're talking

another case of "what did they fucking expect?"

>hard scifi
>android baby
quality bait

I’m amazed Marvel allowed that to be made. There wasn’t one fart joke or quip in the entire movie.

well it's not marvel studios or whatever it's called

Implying It is inferior to 2049 in terms of quality

>hard scifi

lol

You should revise it to say Walt. Slightly more believable

keep laughing capeshitter

Oh I will.

Should have hired a good director like Yates

Yet reddit won't call gosling bo poison kek