Maybe you guys can help...

Maybe you guys can help. I'm trying to find a movie that was about augmented reality and implants from the 90s or early 2000s. The summary of the plot was a majority of the population had implants and escaped into a digital reality type realm, while there was a group who refused to accept the implants. The resistance was trying to sabotage the system and believed people should live in the real world. I remember the resistance living in a desert type environment. The leader was someone like Dennis Leary, but I looked up his filmography and couldn't find the movie In looking for. So it's probably not him, but someone like him. If you remember some of his roles, he usually had some energetic edgy speech to the main character. I remember a speech like that in this movie too. I also remember the main character being a mainstream actor. The movie was a big budget Hollywood film, not a small cult type film. If I recall correctly the main character is an officer or detective assigned to hunt down someone. I think he was looking for a murder or saboteur of the the augmented reality system. That's about as much as I can remember right now. Thanks for your help.

I might be wrong but Surrogates maybe?

Thriumph of the will, i believe

The Matrix

Johnny Mnemonic

That may be it. Even if it's not, it looks interesting. Thanks

Kek

No, but that is a good one

Reading your description made me think of Demolition Man, Strange Days, and Johnny Mnemonic. Also reminded me of Existenz

The Sound of Music

Virtuosity.
Denzel x Russell

Goat scifi.

i was also thinking of this, but OP's description seems to talk about a different movie

Replicas with Keanu. It's not out yet though.

That is a great movie. The one I looking for has a similar theme to Surrogates, if that's not the actual film I'm looking for. It's hard to tell from the trailer, so I'll have to watch it first. I remember a large band of people in a rundown desert type area that refused to live in alerted reality. I didn't see it in the trailer, but they could have not shown it to give away spoilers.

It's demolition man but you're misremembering the shit about the implants.

probably you watched it in a previous mandela time line

This maybe?

Kill yourself faggot

Gamer maybe?

That's the only one I can think of with a desert location.

You're definitely mixing up your movies.

i take it as you are legit dweller of this timeline

Very possible with the misrembering of mixing up movies. I only saw it once, and it feels a long time ago. It's not demolition man, but I could be taking parts of it. The movie sticks out in my mind because most of the normies chose the artificial realm over actual reality, but some didn't and refused to live other than how God made them.