What the fuck? What was the point of this?

What the fuck? What was the point of this?

Out of 7 books, they used maybe 3% of the content? They completely got rid of 2 of the main characters (3 if you count Oy) and a ton of great side characters. They turned what was an awesome journey through space/time Epic with some of the most rewarding character development of all time, into some generic one-off young adult plot about saving the world from a big bad lazer.

The books are a great example of 'it's not about the destination, it's about the journey there' but the movie got rid of the journey part. So disappointing.

I liked that it was so short. 2 hours and longer should be reserved for good cinema, but these every capeshit and action flick lasts 2 hours and it's a snorefest. Dark Tower ended early enough to be an enjoyable flick.

I'm not exaggerating when I say they used 3% of the books. I'm not saying I expected 100% or even 90%, I just did not expect them to scrap 97% of it. So, why bother? It's just brand name recognition, but now they basically already butchered the franchise beyond repair...

They're making a TV show

I doubt it.

I didn't read the books so for me it was an alright fiction-action flick that didn't drag on too long. If the books are actually good and have depth I can imagine how disappointing the movie though.

They basically could have made that movie by changing a few details and not even get sued by Stephen King. So the fact that they used the name The Dark Tower just ruins any future for the franchise.

wait a second, this is not just about the first book? they actually reach the tower in this film? WHAT THE FUCK

They don't reach the Tower per se, but they save it and kill Walter. The first book is broken down to the first 5 or 10 minutes of the movie.

wow what a shit

So is this film set after the books? do they do anything meaningful with this being Rolands last cycle?

Nope. The plot is basically:
>Jake has dreams of the Dark Tower and Roland
>he finds a portal to mid world and finds Roland
>They take a portal back to New York and get guns
>Walter hooks Jake up to a wrist clampy brain chair that shoots lazers are the tower
>Roland kills Walter

They don't mention a single thing about Roland's cycles or pretty much any background to anything

So it doesnt follow the books, pointlessly makes Roland black and doesnt add anything to the universe.
Quintessentialy Sony

Books??
I liked it. 6/10

I didn't watch or read much about it before watching. I was wondering how they would handle Susannah with Roland being black. Solution: they just got rid of her completely...

They are. A bomb isnt stoping them from doing a story of black male with blonde girl

>nigger shoots at matthew
>matthew catches his bullets
>picrelated
Is that 2017 and hollywood still doesn't know how bullets work?
This movie is the trashiest thing I watched this year.

They got it right the first time Matt catches the one bullet that was going for the back of his neck

They actually do mention the cycle you dummy. Walter even suggests he knows it's the final cycle.

Am about to watch this and haven't read the books. Will I enjoy this?

It's short enough to be a decent 6/10 flick.

you will find it average and maybe too long and boring-ish.
Anyone who red the books should stay miles away from this colossal insult

it's possible but not likely

imagine Harry Potter. In one movie, a dude tells him he's a wizard and takes him to Hogwarts. There he learns how to use a wand and learns about an evil dark wizard. He runs through the forest, escapes getting killed by some creatures, and then destroys the wizard. The End.

>"so we'll just have to see"

Yep, sounds unlikely. So, like I said, I doubt it.

Not surprising. King has a history of some of the worst adaptations ever. At this point I'm pretty sure he just fucking hates television and movies and is trolling everyone.

>franchise
stop this shit, nobody cares. Muricunts and their shit tier need to make a franchise of everything.

Movie was fine, if you read the books, think of it as one of the many times everything has happened.

is a bit far fetched to consider this movie just as one of the cycles. Too many differences. And no i'm not talking about the nig lead
But i agree, there's this frenzy in trying to turn everything into a franchise of sorts.

The last 2 book series i had left in my heart were the Dark Tower and Dune and they are gonna butcher Frank Herbert as well. It's disheartening

>britbong thinks his opinion matters

Wait, so this is a kids movie? Is this based on a children's book?

Nope. The books are not children's books. The movie feels like The Hunger Games.

I'm with you user, but to be honest the movie wasn't a huge turd, just incomprehensible for someone who has never read anything about the series. Has a shit ton of small easter eggs and a decent plot for an hour and a half. The only way is a series, movies don't work for this and it's always the same, some parts get butchered.

I really want to see what they will do with Dune, the movie and the mini series weren't that bad overall and I do hope they bring new things to the table.

in the books there's a demon that shifts into a female to be fucked by the MC and later swifts into a male to impregnate (with the previously acquired semen) another member of the party, a woman, susannah.
So i'd say no, it's not a children's book
but now i'm getting the feeling your question was retorical

>doesn't have a clue there are a shitton of other countries on this fucking planet
>tries to be sarcastic using a picture of a movie that turned into a shit tier franchise because of burgerjews squeezing every single last drop of cash out of yet another SNL comedian

try harder

Well it seems to star a kid as the main character

>comparing source material with movies based on them

Don't do that. You should have known instantly it was going to be shit when you learned who was going to be the gunslinger.

I'm saying that they stripped a long story that was spread out over 7 books down to a simplified skeleton story told in 90 minutes

it seems like they were trying to take it in that direction, but having the 13 year old kid carrying and firing a gun would prove to be problamatic. The whole thing is a complete mess

Occasionally he hits just the right tone of ridiculousness and entertaining. I think the tv movie hinderances work out better in his case.

>he thinks other countries matter

and yet you keep failing

>waaahhh Trump is a big meanie
>waaaahhh I wish all these Muslims would stop fucking my wife

that's you right now

>13 year old kid carrying and firing a gun
not to mention:
-a bipolar, BLACK, woman who's the most racist character. and crippled
- a whiter than snow junkie who gets to fuck her
etc
The original plot was a huge NO from the beginning, by CURRENT YEAR (tm) standards

how juvenile

dude, you can't follow regular shitposting? You are not making any sense.
We were talking about the movie being or not shit, why they could never make a decent adaptation of a gazillion books, the need of muritards to make franchises out of everything (specially after the marvel crap).
Keep up, try to be somewhat coherent with your replies stupid.

Do the books also center around a kid?

No. Roland is the main character.

He's a main character but he isn't "the chosen one"

>try to be somewhat coherent with your replies stupid
That's a pretty stupid sentence, user. You sound pretty stupid. Try to use some commas, user.

>We were talking about the movie being or not shit
Oh no, he's literally retarded.

>britbong education system

yes and no, the 4 main characters are equally represented, Maybe a bit more towards Roland but the other 3 are not side characters, each and every one of them is very important and their past, present and future is deeply scrutinized.
It's a team effort, not a story with "the big guy" plus 3 ads
there are entire sections dedicated to one or the other

but that's kind of a given, when you have 7 8relatively) big books you get to explore every single detail and interaction

Fuck this shit then. This already says everything to know about the movie then.

I still couldve gotten into it if they had try to make this the current year HP or Twinklight, or Hunger Games or whatever by cleaning up the less palatable parts of the story, but this movie was just a pile of shit. I will forever believe it's just a money laundering scheme

>it's just a money laundering scheme
I believe romantic comedies were the ones used for that

Which also star Matthew McConaughey. It really makes you think...

The point is Stephen King is a talentless pseudokike hack

you are unto something there user

That was marketing bs. The movie is a soulless Sony pictures cash grab.

So I'm guessing in the books the Gunslinger guy has more and other motivations than just kill the guy named Walter?

>have Roland wearing a hat
What did he mean by this

that's a different can of worms. King just started writing the books open ended. His motivation is to get to the dark tower because he needs to get to the dark tower because reasons

Which actually isn't terrible when the tower is properly explained. It's the center of everything and everything is pulled towards it. Roland has honor and blah blah blah mixed in with his motivations, but he is not immune to the pull.

Well its clearly more progressive to make a white character black than to include an already black character in your film.

So question over here: Since this movie is about 'shine' and all - Is this the same concept as in The Shining then? And am I led to believe that this and the Shining are the same universe?

it is. it was just thrown in there tho

Yep. In fact there's an entire plot in the book where the main characters must save Stephen King from getting run over so he can finish writing The Dark Tower. I'm not joking.

I haven't watched it yet. On a scale of 1 - 10, just how disappointed will I be?

How is this called in literary theory?

Read the books? 11/10 disappointment.
Haven't read the books? Just 5/10 typical bad movie disappointment.

wasnt that bad of a movie desu senpai, but it felt really rushed.
also, the kid actor was surprisingly not annoying.

More NYC tourism propaganda. It doesn't take a degree in neuroscience to see this.

>11/10 disappointment.
Should've been a mini-series

this movie was shit. no pacing. cluttered story. shitty casting. shitty production design. shitty dialogues. only 95 minutes but still full of filler shit.

completely forgettable. the books deserve a miniseries.

Honestly would have been fine. I in no way expected them to fit everything from the books, King is a rambler and often gives a little too much information. But he did a fantastic job creating a fun universe. 45-50 minute episodes, maybe 1 episode per book would have worked. Maybe 2 for the last one. Roland as a kid backstory optional.

Lazy writing.

What? Are you saying that whole shine-shit isn't even in the books?

Shlock

>am I led to believe that this and the Shining are the same universe?

The Dark Tower takes place in a universe where Stephen King is writing The Dark Tower and has written everything he's written before, including The Shining. So, many of the things in his previous books take form in some way in The Dark Tower.

Nevermind. Asked on /lit/ and they were very helpful.

Lol

The fun part is they even tried to preemptively race-shame everyone into seeing this piece of shit

So I just watched this and I thoroughly enjoyed the gunslinger action. Now I want a Trigun movie starring a young Matthew McConaughey.

>That short manlet mexican with the hoodie and earbuds.

just watch John wick and pretend they're wearing cowboy hats. You ain't getting anything closer in this day and age

>The movie feels like The Hunger Games
But features WAY better actors.

I hated John Wick. Absolutely retarded premise. Incredibly overrated here

Is there a torrent for this?

yep

then don't even bother with the sequel because it's worse. I didn't mind the first, it's one of those movies you can watch when you don't wanna think. I agree that Sup Forums tends to blow it up out of proportion

At least there were some scenes with Bridget Regan

Thanks bro. I loved these books when I was a kid. Now it's time to see them butchered all to hell!

You are right, the look and the fantasy/tech mix of this combined with the gunslinging actually gave off a decent Trigun vibe