Has there ever been a movie where people were as divided as they are on SW:TFA?

Has there ever been a movie where people were as divided as they are on SW:TFA?

I mean the movie was complete garbage, but there's still somehow a large gathering of people who defend it and continue to do so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
youtube.com/watch?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who cares? It was better than AOTC and TPM which is all it really needed to do. EVery film after ROTJ has been un necessary fan fiction designed to sell toys

Rey a cute

TPM was better IMO. It had more imagination.

>It was better than AOTC and TPM which is all it really needed to do.
Not really. TPM and AOTC still had a lot more going for it than what TFA produced.

youre waifu a shit

BVS

But that's wrong

Ya sure, the prequel setting is more interesting, I'll admit. But there are just so many fucking things wrong with how those films were executed. TFA has its own set of issues, but at the very least it was competent enough film and accomplished what it set out to do

>TFA has its own set of issues, but at the very least it was competent enough film and accomplished what it set out to do

So basically copy ANH and Empire with shittier characters and a nu-male villain?

Prequels were better even with shitty acting and comical robots.

It's the (((disney))) shills and reddit letter media millennial faggots who defend this trash.

Same. She is exactly my type of xenomorph.

>rated across the internet movie sites exactly the same as neo blade runner
hmmm

>Ya sure, the prequel setting is more interesting, I'll admit. But there are just so many fucking things wrong with how those films were executed.
I agree with you there.
>TFA has its own set of issues, but at the very least it was competent enough film and accomplished what it set out to do
What was that exactly? Ruin a perfectly finished story from the previous 6 films? Throw out character development for the OT characters from the previous films? Make a sloppy half assed copy of A New Hope?
Look, I wouldn't care if they actually copied the same story of A New Hope, but they really did a bad job of it.

Like I said before, everything after ROTJ has been shit. Lucas already ruined the OT with the prequels, who gives a fuck what happens at this point? The prequels tried and fell flat on their faces. Despite being a New Hope rip off, TFA is no where near the dumpster fire mess that the prequels were

>The prequels tried and fell flat on their faces. Despite being a New Hope rip off
>TFA is no where near the dumpster fire mess that the prequels were
Wanna know how I know you're from reddit?

>there's still somehow a large gathering of people who defend it and continue to do so

This baffles me.

the prequels are objectively poorly made films from both a filmmaking and narrative standpoint and no amount of contrarian memeing will EVER change that, no matter how much you want to complain about disney kikes and feminism.

TFA has its own set of issues, and I don't think even its defenders will even claim its perfect - but at least it isn't an embarrassing mess of a film like the prequels.

>but at least it isn't an embarrassing mess of a film
it is but for different reasons
#1 being the horrid pacing and garbage directing/ camera work

the only division with TFA is between those who were paid and those who weren't

>I mean the movie was complete garbage
who told you your opinion has any value?

>reeee cherrypicking a few dutch angles=bad directing!

Yeah, because the sterile as fuck and static camera work of the prequels was so much better.

You post this in every fucking TFA thread, it's embarrassing.

Are you kidding? tfa was a rehash through and through with a mary sue protagonist and shitty side characters like that nigger that I forgot his name and his partner. Han getting killed by his edgy autistic vader wannabe just shows that it was a disaster that can't be recovered with 2 more movies.

Not an argument.

Not an argument as well.

you have yet to actually come up with a retort.
JJ filmed TFA like one of his TV shows and it's much worse for it

>reeeee I hate niggers and Kylo sucks because he reminds me of myself and Han's death wasn't le ebin badass enough because I'm a child who thinks the merit of things are how le badass they are

niggers kikes feminism! fuck disney! do I fit in yet?

>a large gathering who defends it

10 shitposters and 5 shills on Sup Forums does not count as "large gathering".
A vocal minority is called as such because it is, you know, vocal

Wait, do you actually think the majority opinion is that TFA was bad? Like, I get if you personally dislike it, but you're fucking delusional if you think people in general disliked the film

>but my echo chamber on /teevee/ didn't like it so everyone hates it!

Delusional.

>tfa was a rehash
It needed to be. Did you forget there was 30 years and three stinkers between RotJ and TFA? The audience needed to know that a Star Wars movie could be made. You don't do that with Star Wars vs Predator.

So the next trailer will appear monday, wasn't there a basic "leaker" that said as much?

unlike you i do get out of my house and talk to people and still have to find 1 that enjoyed the movie. I also don't have to use hyperboles and buzzwords on a vietnamese wood carving imageboard to inflate my nonexistant ego.
It's ok to have shittaste, don't be afraid. Just use some oral spray or something

so the prequels are flawed movies, but made with love by an imaginative creator that actually WANTED to make them, while the new ones are in fact the ones frivolously created specifically to sell tickets and toys to nostalgia fueled star wars fans.

This is true. And TFA is in many ways the exact polar opposite of the prequels. Carefully engineered to be as digestible as possible and to pull the right strings to make the fans clap, all while adding zero material to the universe and abstaining from adding anything new that might scare the audiences.
The prequels were sloppily made, filled with bad acting, pacing and characters, and George was adding all kinds of new shit to the universe which together with the bad execution made fans hate them.
The prequels are all imagination with bad execution, TFA is all execution with zero imagination.

It's just nerd culture, which is in vogue right now.
The large majority of people - be it critics or audiences - praising TFA were not Star Wars fans before this movie. Sure, they had heard about it, and sure maybe then even watched a movie or another when they were younger, but they probably have not watched the other trilogies in their entirity, nor do they hold SW in any special regard.
Now, as to why the movie is popular, that's simple. It's the same reason capeshit is popular, and it's not a coincidence both brands are owned by Disney. These are not movies made for the fans anymore, they are made for large audiences that want summer blockbusters. They tick all the checkboxes, they're cookie cutter films tailored to appease as many normies as possible, offend no one, mean nothing. Say what you will about the prequels, but for all their flaws they were still the realisation of an artistic vision. The Disney trilogy, however, if TFA is any indication, is a product.
That's why every numale and every girl in the 15-25 age range will praise this movie, it's a dumb loud PC quirky film; it's cancer of the highest order and for all Lucas' faults I can't believe the SW saga could get any worse than it was.
So yeah, that's pretty much why people like it OP.

I liked the part where she was scavenging hulls of stardestroyers because up untill there it felt like RotJ had made a significant impact on the universe and she was a minor sidecharacter.

>it's a rehash
>but it's not Star Wars

youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU

One of you Disney nigs call me when nu-Star Wars gets a scene on par with this.

>Carefully engineered to be as digestible as possible and to pull the right strings to make the fans clap

and making the entire series retroactively about Darth Vader and making the Clone Wars about boba fett clones made from a boba fett clone wasn't George doing exactly that?

the prequels are full of hollow fanservice, only it falls flat because the movies suck

We get it, conservative talk has become so much of your identity that anything else triggers you. Please fuck off back to Sup Forums..

its a marvelized quip filled rehash of ANH yes

>no animals were harmed in the making of this film
There you go.

Who are you replying to?

>muh pole boogerman
Not an arugument.

>a paragraph of gibbering

You sure seem triggered, so yes you fit in perfectly with Sup Forums.

>conservative talk
I'm as liberal hippie as they come, faggot, but thanks for your shit contribution to the board.

>inB4 muh spell check cause reddit fag can't into arguments after getting btfo.

Just saw Rogue One. And just like TFA, Disney displayed cowardice, misunderstanding and pandering to the SW franchise.

Everything in the film, from audiovisual cues, to dialouge to even bizzarely putting in deceased actors as CGI is made for the strict purpose to give this Chinese fake a geniune Star Wars touch. And just like the CGI characters they insist on, it comes off as forced, cheap and cowardly.

Disney has again and again shown that they simply do not understand what made Lucas' Star Wars great. It's not the space ships. It's not the sound effects. It's not the jedi. It's an imaginative world that constantly treats to you new memorable characters, locations and scenes. It's the sense of an epic set in space, not of Marvel set in space.

Disney simply does not want to do what is neccessary. Because being imaginative also means being risky. And Disney and risky is like oil and water. They will never commit to it. They will instead rather ape Lucas than actually seek to transcend him. That's what will impress legions of idiot fanboys and normal moviegoers who pride themselves on being "nerdzz".

The scene between Vader and the commander displays this all too well. Look how hard Disney attempts to mimic Lucas' Vader. His steps. His gestures. His manners. All strictly following what Lucas has already shown us, and nothing more. That's it. They don't dare do more because they simply do not understand Vader. Eventually you could see through the cracks of the fake, the mask being cheap and the voice being off and also lines that are way out of character. (be careful not to choke on your aspirations, really?). The moment they stepped out of their comfortable space, they immediately wronged. That's how sad Disney is.

>static camera work

That's actually a staple of Star Wars since New Hope.

You're the one who specifically said you can't enjoy it because it's not Sup Forums. So why are you in here? You're using a very simple system that anyone can apply: "Is this white American Christian propaganda? No? Then a Sup Forumstard won't like it." We don't need you to sit here screaming that it triggers you. Your opinion is predictable and so completely uninteresting. So go be a Sup Forumstard somewhere else.

This right here. They have preset deadlines with no preconceived story. It's a hurry up and submit muh homework before the deadline star wars episode.

TFA's story and characters were trash. That final duel on the not-hoth planet is so bad I can't rewatch it without grimacing. Rey has zero training... that scene where Kylo says he can teach her and she goes into a zen state and then overpowers him... like i guess she doesn't need teaching after all. Oh wait she's gonna get taught by Luke anyway. Alrighty then.

Luke never would've turned his back and gone into seclusion like how he did. It doesn't even make sense. He spent the first quarter of his life living in bum fuck nowhere. God I'm not even a huge fan, this lame ass nu SW storytelling pisses me off for being so lazy and contrived.

>You're the one who specifically said you can't enjoy it because it's not Sup Forums
No one implied that. The user simply said that it panders too much to the pc lefty fag crowd. That's not a pole thing, it's fact.
>mary sue protagonist
>edgy vader wannabe teen gets beaten by mary sue even though she never force her entire life
>make many call backs to appease the numale ot fans like "OHH I REMEMBER THAT LOL XDD BEST STAR WARS FILM EVAR!"
Again, not an argument.

I dunno. For I was a huge SW fan when younger, got into other stuff and then went to see it a few days after release. Sure, it looked pretty and some of the action scenes were great. The designs were nice, too. But everything else is a complete dumpster fire. Shitty textbook-definition of a Mary-Sue for main character (not to mention Daisy Ridley couldn't act for shit), bland sidekick, script is a direct rip-off of ANH, stupid bratty teenager villain, and to add insult to fucking injury the only goddamn lightsaber fight sucks ass. Fuck this movie for peppering its garbage with nice stuff, it was like putting chocolate on a turd. I was so disappointed that I decided to never watched another SW movie outside of the prequels and the classic trilogy.

>literally doesn't know what foreshadowing is

>a bloo bloo bloo muh powerlevels

Luke trained with Yoda for a week and is suddenly a Jedi Master at the end of RotJ. It was never about power levels, despite what the prequels and video games told you.

>Luke trained with Yoda for a week

Ah, this meme again

*For context

How is it a meme?

The prequels are by no means perfect but they were made with vision, they tried to go out and give us new experiences and expand what Star Wars was about. Those movies expanded the SW lore universe by a massive amount, just think back to how much other content they spawned like games, tv series, and whatnot.

TFA was a remaking of ANH that added very little to what SW is about. It was a corporate designed and produced movie with zero passion. I'll sit here and complain endlessly about the prequels, especially the over usage of meh CGI backgrounds, but holy shit at least they tried to give us some interesting settings and locations.

Because there was considerable time between Empire and RotJ

>they were made with vision
They drove the series straight into the dumpster.

Luke didn't see Yoda or Obiwan's ghost at all between ESB and RotJ. He might have done some exercises and meditating on his own, but Luke didn't return to Dagobah until after Han was rescued. This is made explicitly clear in dialogue.

Fucking pay attention next time you watch the trilogy.

>trains for a short period in ESB
>gets his hand lopped off anyway

>Rey receives no training
>doesn't get injured and even gets a good jab in plus she can control the force pretty well now! wowee

>muh forshadow

Hint: she wasn't always living on that desert planet.

wow it's almost as if Kylo and Vader are different characters at completely different points in their journeys and it's an explicit point of Kylo's characterization is that he's an inept doofus who's way out of his depth and was suffering a mental breakdown during the climax

just like how Vader went to schooling Luke in ESB to getting his ass kicked in RotJ, his inner conflict made him weak

At least the prequels had an original plotline and didn't revolve around nostalgia

According to Shadows of the Empire (i.e. What Happens Between Episodes V and VI), he went back to Obi-Wan's hut to meditate on his training with Yoda, and kept on training with the aid of a book that Obi-Wan left him which was filled with ancient Jedi knowledge.

Lucas had something he wanted to do and he did it, whether or not you liked it doesn't matter. He went out and used his imagination to give us something different, something fun and exciting. Like and said, it's a project designed by a room full of suits at Disney with the sole purpose being selling toys and push the projects out on a predetermined schedule for maximum profit.

I mean hell even the prequels had better toys because there was a lot more fun material to work with, what a fucking disappointment.

A plotline that insults the audience with stupidity on top of stupidity is not a good thing. .
youtube.com/watch?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

>he was young enough for toys when the prequels came out
This is why you have no perspective whatsoever.

>but Luke didn't return to Dagobah until after Han was rescued
>This is made explicitly clear in dialogue

No, it's not. The only implication is that he comes back to COMPLETE the training but there is actually no indication if he came back after Cloud CIty or not.

>different characters
hmm yeah... Kylo can stop blaster shots midair. He can even freeze someone mid stance. In fact he froze Rey standing up earlier. Anger and hate complement the dark side like Sup Forums and shitposting. He outta be able to do something other then flail his saber around like a tard. But this was JJ Abrams' skilled story crafting on display there, so I shoulda known better.

the entire point is that Kylo doesn't actually believe his own shit, he's an incompetent mess who's questioning everything he believes, he isn't a hate filled edgelord like Vader. The dark side is powered on anger and hate, yes - but it has to be a passionate, confident, and fearless hate. Sheev and Maul, for example, were fully committed to the dark side. Kylo isn't. That's the whole point.

Since you autists love video games and powerlevels so much, take a character like Darth Sion in KOTOR II. He was invincible as long as he believed in the power of his hate, but as soon as the Exile points out that he's nothing more than a mad dog and a pawn of Kreia his will is eroded, so he loses his power and dies. Vader was super confident and powerful until confronted with the reality he'd have to kill his own son, and is a total pushover in RotJ because of it.

Kylo acts like a hot shit in the beginning in the movie because he's sold himself this meme that he's the next Vader, but as the movie progresses he realizes he's just a wimpy shit posing as Vader to make up for his own self-loathing and that makes him weak.

>Master Yoda, I promise to return and finish what I've begun, you have my word!
>I have a promise to keep...to an old friend

"to keep" implies he hasn't kept it yet and hasn't returned yet...unless you're honestly suggesting Luke was hanging out with Yoda and Obi-wan for a year and decided to just never bring up Vader claiming to be his father, in which you're really reaching.

>making it about darth vader
star wars was always about the skywalker family, and this is an origin story. I dont know how you can call it fanservice
>the clone army being boba fett's
wasn't the clone army based on jango fett? boba's father?

>im not gonna touch any of the points you just made, im just gonna say you're too young to argue with me, hah!

>promise to keep
It implies he hasn't finished his training, nothing more

>never bring up Vader
Yoda could've evaded the question and only told Luke because he was dying.

>star wars was always about the skywalker family

Luke was our hero, but the original trilogy makes no mention of Darth Vader being Space Jesus, the Chosen One born of a virgin prophesized to bring balance to the Force. That was a retcon based around Vader being the most popular character in the marketing. He was the guy on all the cereal boxes, so Star Wars was retconned into being 100% about Darth Vader.

>wasn't the clone army based on jango fett? boba's father?

In-universe, Boba is a clone of Jango, yes. But in the real world, Jango is a Boba Fett clone created solely to capitalize on the popularity of Boba Fett toys. Just because George said OH NO JANGO WAS THE *TRUE* AND *HONEST* FETT BOUNTY HUNTER doesn't make it anything less than a marketing stunt.

Do you honestly believe that when Boba Fett was created for ESB that George was thinking "mmmhm, yes, this background character is the most important person to ever live because the billions of clones who fought in the clone wars were all based on him"

Bro I get that, but my issue is that Kylo has received a fuck ton of training. Even if he's questioning his allegiance to the dark side, there ain't no reason he can't quickly disarm Rey and gtfo.

It doesn't matter anymore. Last Jedi will be atrocious.
>Rey is the force reincarnated; she's really powerful. Like Neo from the matrix bro.
watch her bend space spoons and the walls of reality
>Luke's gonna take some persuading to get back on that ole Jedi horse
and maybe he'll fight snoke or some shit
>snoke is a space yacht surfing billionaire who just wants to have fun
>prepare for guest appearances by your fav jedi ghosts
>Kylo's gonna kylo
>ewoks 2.0

>so Star Wars was retconned into being 100% about Darth Vader.

Am I the only one that still connects SW to Luke? To me, SW is about him and will always be so. The prequels don't work, for me, due to this.
Vader looks cool, but that's it.

Poptimism has infected film unfortunately.

The worst a movie can be is forgettable and TFA is very forgettable. Prequels? We remember that shitty sand monologue. The cringey lines. What lines from TFA do you remember? Prequel settings are more memorable too. Like Tatootine, Coruscant, Naboo, Kamino, the volcano world, so on so forth. What about TFA? Do you remember any settings from TFA?

Nothing from TFA has as any stick to it, except Kylo Ren being a whiny little bitch. Do you remember anything Finn did except nearly lose to Nines? Remember when Rey... did stuff? How BB-8 was the hot toy of the year and now nothing? Remember how captain phasma did... what did she do again? We got an orange yoda expy...who was just there for plot convenience rather than organically being part of the setting. But fuck that shit, here's Luke, Han, Chewy and Leia! Look! Familiar faces that also don't do jack shit.

We got a bigger badder Death Star that can blow up a solar system, and no one cares because it was just another Death Star. Power escalation doesn't mean jack, by the end of the movie, you've already forgot that it's capable of taking out systems. There's no overall looming threat, because the Death Star's original intimidation had been long played out and you knew that it would be taken down by the heroes. It was just too damn powerful to survive the movie.

Remember how Kylo Ren killed Han Solo, and people were freaking out about the spoilers? The fucking campaign to stop the spoilers ended up having more impact than Solo getting offed.

Darth Vader received decades of training and lost to Luke, who had received, at BEST (and this is assuming the very unlikely idea that he returned to Yoda in-between ESB and RotJ) a year of training.

and this is all disregarding that Kylo was pretty fucking badly hurt. I'm pretty sure I could beat prime Mike Tyson in a boxing match if I shot him with a shotgun first.

>Rey a cute

Sorry from her shitty acting to her frumpy looks that's a straight up no.

Also no ass.

>there ain't no reason he can't quickly disarm Rey and gtfo.

Chewie's shot. The weapon that can one shot men? Yeah, Rylo took a hit. Also, he: a) wasn't hitting to hurt her; b)wanted her to see his side, as in, get angry and bitter, and fighting helps with that.

>the entire point is that Kylo doesn't actually believe his own shit, he's an incompetent mess who's questioning everything he believes, he isn't a hate filled edgelord like Vader. The dark side is powered on anger and hate, yes - but it has to be a passionate, confident, and fearless hate. Sheev and Maul, for example, were fully committed to the dark side. Kylo isn't. That's the whole point.
Still doesn't excuse that total faggotry of his character, or his entire existence.

>villains are bad if they aren't generic badasses I can use as an escapist power fantasy

I'm convinced people who hate Kylo only do so because he reminds them of themselves

it was the best star wars anything since return of the jedi

The difference here is Vader has a reason to be heavily invested and go easy on Luke since it was clearly established that he's fighting his own son.... and might be going a little soft on the young scamp. Their encounter in Bespin even made it sound like Vader resents the Emperor a little bit and really just wants to team up and overthrow the decrepit old man so they can rule the galaxy together.

>muh confliction
Kylo doesn't even know this Rey chick and he just killed his dad. And also Rey has no training. zip. zilch. none. But she's a natural. She's actually the force reincarnated.

>and he just killed his dad

Yeah, he thought killing his dad would rid him of the conflict he felt but it only made it worse

jesus christ how is a fucking children's movie too complex for you

>the movie was complete garbage

The overwhelming majority of critics and audiences disagree with you OP. Just admit it you're an edgy contrarian, there's nothing wrong with that.

I actually like the conflicted take on the character. It was poorly executed due to bad writing, but I appreciate the concept and the possibilities that lie within Kylo's character motivation.

>Rey is the literal definition of a Mary Sue!
>Rey didn't do anything!

You're an idiot.

>Do you honestly believe that when Boba Fett was created for ESB that George was thinking "mmmhm, yes, this background character is the most important person to ever live because the billions of clones who fought in the clone wars were all based on him"

is this the world where kotor 1/2 never existed?

5 > 4 > 1 > 6 > 3 > rogue one > 2 > force awakens