ITT: Things you are too autistic to understand

The appeal of Lord of the Rings

I honestly don't understand why so many people love LOTR. Normies, nerds, laft-wing, right-wing, reddit, Sup Forums... all of them seem to love this trilogy.

I don't understand that love. At all. Sure, it has a great cast and good dialogue, but to me that's it. Most of the characters seem average and like most of those you'd find in a random book. The best characters, like Gmili, the Ents and Saruman don't think properly explored. I really don't like the Sean Bean's family subplot, it's one of the most boring things I have ever watched. And the battles seem meh to me.

I don't think it should have won Best Picture, even if Fellowship and Two Towers are better than Beautiful Mind and Chicago. Not even as a token for the whole trilogy. The CGI seems ok, but nothing outstanding. The story itself is meh, could be more interesting

I'll be honest, to me the films are Star Wars (Original Film) tier. Not bad, but not spetacular

What is wrong with me?

you're a pleb who hasnt read the books and realised how well crafted they are. Shit, most normies actually did read it back then.

the written material bordered on the verge of mythos, it almost felt real, all these characters. And many had absolutely tragic stories and moments of heroism. It was GOAT low fantasy literature.

Because you don't appreciate the scope of what they pulled off here.
They hand crafted all the weapons, they built entire towns as sets, the places you see are all real because they built them. tons of beautiful carvings and artwork that you just take for granted as being cgi now, but it wasn't in this film.
Also you might be autistic, because you are supposed to get to know and love the characters and personalities and appreciate the situation they are actually in. They are literally fighting for the end of all good in the world.
basically:
quit being such a pretentious jackass, stop being meta, it's not that fucking cool to be the objective guy in the room, Loosen up and for once in your life let yourself get swept away by something, stop trying to catch mistakes in the editing, or looking for an extra with a cell phone, and just enjoy a film, don't worry, this one was made the right way. Try to put yourself in the moment and stop caring if someone sees you enjoy something.

>I honestly don't understand why so many people love LOTR
I geniuenly pity you

>It was hard to do, therefore it's good

why didnt they use the eagles right off the bat? fucking hack frauds

t. never read the books and doesn't appreciate filmmaking as a whole

you sound like a woman.

>Great music that brings your straight back the the universe when you listen to it
>Overall fantastic atmosphere, because of all the good locations, sets, props, costumes
>It's a very emotional story and the film manage to portray all these different emotions really well
>The universe, especially the shire, is beautiful and watching it you want to live there with the Hobbits
>Great cast and acting
>Very memorable characters and dialogue
>Good mix between CGI and practical effects
>Based on a popular and loved book

The only reason people went to watch LOTR is to see Galadriel riverdancing

please just read the books. Its truly worth the time, they are masterpieces.

>stop being meta, it's not that fucking cool to be the objective guy in the room, Loosen up and for once in your life let yourself get swept away by something, stop trying to catch mistakes in the editing, or looking for an extra with a cell phone, and just enjoy a film, don't worry, this one was made the right way. Try to put yourself in the moment and stop caring if someone sees you enjoy something.
Yeah, that is not the reason I don't love the films

I like them, they are good, but I don't understand the love they get. Maybe because of your first paragraphs

Behind the scenes facts is not what makes LOTR amazing dipshit.
I could give two fucks if they built entire Rohan as a set, the movie itself is great for other reasons.

The Soundtrack is one of the best in film history if not THE best

10/10 crafted world
10/10 characters who felt real
10/10 tale of heroism and tragedy
10/10 comfy levels
10/10 rewatchbility

lmao that's what everyone said about the movies

Sup Forums is a pleb central. LotR is a very accessible mainstream blockbuster with generic "epic" music and "epic" scenes. It's enough for plebs to love a movie.

Nor I.

I avoided them for several years, then finally watched all 3.
Found them slow, drawn out, boring and generally forgettable.
It might my age, and younger people might find them more interesting.
I liked Starwars as a child, it is still good to watch now.
Sometimes seeing things as a child makes them more part of your own imagination.
On top of that, none of the characters are likeable.
The Irish midgets are insufferable, annoying names, Gandalf is ineffectual, none of them really live up to their supposed abilities or reputations.
The elf archer has some tricks, but doesn't do a great deal, the effects are spiderman style, cartoon bubblegum that makes videogames look realistic.
It feels more like baldurs gate, a lot of words but not much feeling. Only, there's no Boo.

Might be this.
I also have never liked harry potter.
The masses aren't always right. Popular does not mean good.

What are some good films that aren't plebian.

>What are some good films that aren't plebian.
From the same genre? Die Nibelungen (1924).

I re-watched them back to back like a week ago(yes I'm a NEET), the first one is incredible, god-tier movie, the other two are good but they can't touch the first one, they aged poorly. Never mind the Eagles, why didn't they use the undead army to steamroll everything in Mordor and just have Frodo casually waltz in and destroy the ring. They're literally invincible. Kinda silly when you think about it but the normie seem to enjoy them.

Somebody needs to do a LOTR-like trilogy out of the first three Dune books. I understand Villeneuveveve's next project is a Dune adaptation but since B2049 is a confirmed flop it might not happen.

Frank Herbert would have been 97 today.

It's trash made for manchildren. Once those faggots have grown up they'll understand.

This. Specifically they want to see Her feet.

Don't taint the pure maiden Galadriel with your sick fetishes

I've only seen a modern version so far.

The new dune might be smelly.

It would be difficult to capture the book, it has scope and intelligence. Most directors simply don't have that in their brains.

uhhm,yes,thats one of the factors wich tell if something is good or not,the effort put in making it.

She can punish me by stepping on my face, haha.

please tell me you like arrow or something

I don't understand how you don't understand.

She will never step on your face, I take good care of my feet and she would never foul her feet with your feet

If She has the ring She will step on whatever She pleases, and you best be prepared to lick those soles clean!

>genreshit
>good
hahaha fucking tvbabbies

I think it's the fact that it's actually respectful towards western civilization and the western literary tradition, rather than most of the degenerate crap that is force fed to us these days.

If you pay attention, the people who love LOTR usually have some traditional conservative right-leaning tendencies. That's been my experience at least.

>The Irish midgets are insufferable, annoying names, Gandalf is ineffectual, none of them really live up to their supposed abilities or reputations.

It's archetypal. Gandalf the great omnipotent power isn't supposed to solve all problems, or else it would rob the young hobbits of their coming-of-age adventure story.

No

>the people who love LOTR usually have some traditional conservative right-leaning tendencies
yeah, they have no taste in literature, film and politics

you're a millennial thats why

>be perpetually triggered
>have shit taste as well

My God how do you go on living

Are you non-White by any chance?

Yes.

at least I don't like a shitty flick, the associated genre fiction and dead-end political ideology.
Why haven't conservatives killed themselves, yet?
The world will never go back to the way it was, the only way is forward.

You will not order the goddess's feet
You have no power

movies should stand on their own,cunt

Because wizards throwing themselves around a slippery floor is what cinema was invented for

>he's still triggered

Stop being so angry user

>respecting your ancestors and the history of your civilization is a dead-end

t. degenerate drug addict raised by single mother

Please, do explain why you consider conservative ideologies, in any from to be a viable idea in a world that is changing a pace that is increasing with every year that passes?

Or are you just gonna spout tired memes until I get sick of talking to you?

>low fantasy
kek

why the fuck do you argue with complete strangers on the internet about politics in an apolitical fantasy movie?

oddly enough i know a lot of leftists who really like lotr, which just seems odd to me

>he's still visibly frustrated
>he's still desperately trying to stir shit

I think I'm sick of talking to you actually.

So, what does that do to give your country an edge over everyone else?
How do dead people solve your problems?

>politics in an apolitical fantasy movie
reading seems to be quite difficult for you.

Anyone feel that the ending was too grounded for the setting?

You have this epic about the forces of good and evil and when good finally prevails the hero is saddled with war trauma and baggage. It feels a little out of place.

It was great for it's time, now we have superior epics like Hunger games, Captain America Civil War Etc

but that's what makes it such a good ending though

>If you pay attention, the people who love LOTR usually have some traditional conservative right-leaning tendencies.
The guy I know that most loves LOTR is a die hard leftist

I know. She steps on me whenever She wills it.

are you a hwhyte mail? then this film will resonate with your tribal soul, if your a shitskin or a woman, then you have to soul

I can't understand space movies. How can you travel thousands of light years in seconds? Even if you use worm holes how do you know where to go? How does the other end open? And even if it stays in our solar system what's the point? This applies to real life too. If you think spending billions to go to a white rock or a shitty desert is acceptable then you're probably more autistic than I am.

You're not autistic OP you're just a fucking pleb shit. Go back to RIck and Morty and Game of Incest

you're just a subhuman nigger

I've never understood this either since Tolkien is the epitome of their "straight white male" boogeyman. The whole thing is his Merry England fantasy

Because not everyone thinks like a leftist seen in Sup Forums screencaps of Twitter.

Its good because it was basically mankinds first attempt at fantasy worldbuilding. Also the music cinematography and acting are all top notch.

Are you black or female!

this

you still suck for not getting the movie though

Fellowship is pure unyielding KINO, a 10/10 classic

Two Towers is a 9/10, I like the globetrotting through middle earth and it has the best siege depiction in the history of film

RotK really portrays the doom of the situation well, but is hampered by Hackson OC
8/10

>If you pay attention, the people who love LOTR usually have some traditional conservative right-leaning tendencies

And I'm not surprised by it. Concepts such as patriotism are foreign to a lot of leftists, and the mostly-white casting is satisfying to see in a time when films feel the need to mix and match every color just to tick a bunch of boxes.

To add to this, the main characters are all male, so themes like brotherhood are bound to be more prominent.

>"your views are decreasing in popularity, therefore they are less worthy of considering"
Well fuck, you got him there!

it actually is though compared to most other fantasy settings. There's no widespread magic usage, only 5 beings in all of middle earth are capable of it, sauron's armies are only made up of orcs and trolls, unlike the usual demon/old god bullshit you usually see in something like warcraft, and anything that's unusual to us (I.E. the watcher and shelob) are rare and unusual to shelob, creatures that normally lurk in the darkness and are only there because they are drawn to the ring

I mean, I know all modern high fantasy is based off of it, but middle earth is way more grounded compared to most of the settings it inspired

>talks about leftists using boogeymen
>while using a boogeyman yourself
Alt-right + genre fiction fan = dumbest of the dumb

>The story itself is meh, could be more interesting
Jesus Christ

don't forget Sauron's army had shitloads of humans too

I find that a lot of people claim that LOTR is too "vanilla" or too "bland." I've heard some people claim that it is too generic and falls for too many fantasy tropes.

I would argue that these critics do not fully appreciate the fact that it was in fact LOTR that started these tropes in the first place. The reason it might seem like a "generic fantasy" setting is because it essentially set the foundation for fantasy as we know it today. It's not that LOTR wasn't original, to the contrary. It was -THE- original, and the LOTR series remains the cornerstone of fantasy novels as we know them today. This carries over to the movies as well. The LOTR movies did not do anything particularly new or groundbreaking. By the time the movies came out, fantasy had already become well established and the setting of LOTR had been normalized. So the movies didn't offer some groundbreaking twist on the fantasy genre.

Instead, it simply refined the fantasy genre to it's complete and utter perfection. The casting, the writing, the cinematography, the props, everything was honed to a razors edge. I think a lot of people can't see past the perceived unoriginality of the series and appreciate the movies for what they are.

I don't think you know what high and low fantasy are

Well, now they are. LOTR used to be like, the mascot fantasy series for hippies when it came out.

>why didn't they use the undead army to steamroll everything in Mordor and just have Frodo casually waltz in and destroy the ring
Just a heads-up: If you think there's a plothole in the films it's only because they couldn't fit everything from the books in. I haven't encountered a single plothole that can't be explained well if you use the source material and a little bit of reasoning.

The reason they didn't steamroll everything is because they had already fulfilled what Aragorn asked of them. Gimli even points out what you said to cover that ground.

This. It's part of what makes it so much better than other more lighthearted adventure movies.

>Low fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction. In the study of fantasy literature, it has been defined as fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world.
Yeah, lord of the rings has its own fantasy universe or whatever, but it's pretty explicitly stated that most of the people in the lord of the rings are just chilling on their farms, pretty much all fantasy creatures like smaug are dead, and by the time the books end, men become the dominant race and all magic fades from the world. It's not completely grounded but it isn't like WOW where there's an ancient evil on every second block. Even sauron is the last gasp of a dying world.

>why didn't they use the undead army to steamroll everything in Mordor and just have Frodo casually waltz in and destroy the ring. They're literally invincible. Kinda silly when you think about it but the normie seem to enjoy them.

Because the ghosts had fulfilled their end of the agreement. To keep them in captivity and break your word would be dishonorable, despite the immense benefits that could be gained from it. Since Aragorn is a good and rightious man, he keeps his word and frees them.

It's not a plothole, it is completely in character for Aragorn to do that. He refused to abuse the power of the Ring, and he refused to abuse the power of the ghosts.

That was the point of it all. The Hobbits never went on an adventure of this scale. So coming home is what makes the ending so bittersweet - they're without a direct goal but they're finally in the familiarity and safety of their home.

thats how the ending was written, its even more grim in the book. guy was a ww1 soldier, he knew coming home wasnt roses and daisies

I agree completely. I understand why RotK won awards but I don't get it when people say it's their favourite. 1>2>3

You are not between the ages of 25 and 30.

Someone please explain this meme to me, I must know.

>immediately jumps to "alt-right"
Oh the ironing

the reason why there are so many garbage movies right now is those kind of retarded childish geek/nerd shit became acceptable. lotr, harry potter, x-men, spider man etc..done well at box-office in early 2000s and studios saw it was easier and profitable to adopt nerd shit, comicbooks to movies. They continued to do more capeshit and other capeshit tier stuff(pirates, transformers etc..) then with mcu, nolan's dark knight trilogy and harry potter/hobbit sequels it became mainstream. now studios focus on mostly capeshit or capeshit tier stuff. Before 2000s people would laugh all those nerd shit. capeshit were seemed as some goofy b-movies like those monster movies. Aside from batman and superman nobody gave 2 shits about superheroes.

Because of all that nerd/geek shit now even Scorsese can't get financing from big studios(wolf of wall street) and he also went on to make kid movie (hugo).

No, I mean before the battle at Minas Tirith just reforge the sword and have the Fellowship rush to seek the undead allegiance straight from rivendell, bypassing most of 2 and 3 altogether.

It insists upon itself. As a result, at times it feels a tad bit pretentious.

Having said that, I do love these movies. Fellowship especially, 9/10 kino.

That's fine, to each their own. See you on the boards.

It's mostly to do with the fact that it's a MASSIVE production.