Are Film Makers Running out of Original Ideas?

Comic book movies, Reboots, soft reboots, copy-cat Films, Sequels and Prequels but I hardly see any interesting or fundamentally new ideas coming out, nothing truly groundbreaking. Think about it. In a span of just like 8 years, from 1977 to 1985: Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Alien, Blade Runner, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Terminator, Ghostbuster, The Karate Kid, Gremlins, The Neverending Story, Spinal Tap, Indiana Jones, The Evil Dead, Jaws, ET, Blade Runner, Rambo, Mad Max, Grease, The Shining. Are studios too afraid to fund creative movies for fear of failure or are we just running out of creative ideas?

Pic related. blade runner 2049, as good as it was, was kind of almost a soft reboot and at least a sequel. I thought about the time period this film came out in and it struck me as really weird how nothing fundamentally creative is coming out like it did back then. This is and should be depressing. Blade runner 2049 was excellent quality film far better in raw quality than the original but it was in a way eclipsed by it's own reboot/sequel status and, as good as it was, I don't think it will ever be viewed as groundbreaking like the original. nothing seems to be these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

the-numbers.com/market/2016/top-grossing-movies
the-numbers.com/market/2017/top-grossing-movies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatliners_(2017_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are a straight up pleb if you think 90% of what you listed were fundamentally new ideas.

we aren't out of creative ideas, Hollywood and the execs who run the studios are simply closed in their ideology and wallets and will not ever change the formula that has always been used, you won't see anything new unless there is a complete institutional and corporate 180 which isn't happening

It's not that artists are running out of ideas. The best artists are just not pursuing the traditional mediums (literature, film, music, etc.) and instead doing shit like making apps (i.e. things that will make them rich quick).

fucking reddit shits have been fed diarrhea their whole lives they don't know the difference

the thing normal people dont know about hollywood is Rights Management.
Studios owns the rights to things for only so long unless they do something with them. The fact that you see so many "reboots, sequels, etc" now is that their rights are probably nearing their end dates. After their rights expire, the owner of the IP is free to go to other studios. Studios dont want this to happen and would rather shit out garbage and keep the rights than let it go free.
This is why you see the same titles pop up every 20 years or so. Its why a few years ago you saw a lot of 80s remakes, and now we're seing a lot of 90s remakes. in another few years were going to be seeing late 90s and early 2000s IPs getting sequels and reboots. I guarantee a matrix reboot in the works as we speak

Certainly seems so.
Quality has taken a giant shit but this probably has to do with a changing culture. People these days have been raised on MTV and scripted reality TV. They like to watch shit because their heads are already full of shit.
Standby for a 'Flatliners' remake with added diversity, 'Lord of the flies' remake with an all female cast, also in the works is a Micheal Brown, hands up don't shoot movie in the style of 'crash'

>Are Film Makers Running out of Original Ideas?
No.
>Are studios too afraid to fund creative movies for fear of failure or are we just running out of creative ideas?
Former. Movies are and have been predominantly business and profit centered for a long time now. It's just that now we have the cost-benefit analysis thing down to science nowadays, which permeates everything from screenplay to casting to audience focus groups.

Only someone who has never been to a library once in their lives would think we were running out of original ideas. I can think of hundreds of books I've read as a kid and a young adult that would make superb films.

There's little art anymore.

No the problem is distributers being dickless cowards.

this one looked fairly original but you've gotta look beyond hollywood you pleb

>I can think of hundreds of books I've read as a kid and a young adult that would make superb films.
That's all well and good but who is going to watch them?

People who watch movies.

Is this the kino where son and father go bicycling through Canada, with son as seeds and chucks, and a badass pa that no longer gives a fuck? Where's that image from again?

These are the movies people are watching
the-numbers.com/market/2016/top-grossing-movies

the-numbers.com/market/2017/top-grossing-movies

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatliners_(2017_film)

uhh, user...

whats your point?

Like in season 4 Arrested development, the fantastic 4 storyline?

>use same people over and over refusing to accept new blood
Oh fuck. Wonder why.

the post i was replying to contained "standby for a remake of flatliners with diversity"; my post was simply indicating it already happened.

No.

Oh.. it's nebraska. Good movie.

Those are movies some people who visit theaters are watching.