Extra-canon early-2000s spinoffs edition

Lost to obscurity:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-GC5rAX0xHg
youtu.be/qWM7l9SAipg?t=49
bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-gets-spooky
youtu.be/e6VF_US6YG0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Miranda is clearly River and the Doctor's child. Just look at those curls.

Oh no. Not me. We never lost control.

Whom here /excitedforchristmas/?

Why is it SO FUCKING FAR AWAY REEE

tfw will be first christmas alone

There was a thread about that on leddit a while back. In the novels Miranda's pa was a Last-of-the-Time-Lords emperor of the universe style thing. Obviously Time Lord Victorious

Back when the Monk trilogy was airing I pointed out how the lyrics to that song sort of echo the events of that story
(This was just before The Lie of the Land revealed itself to be a giant pile of horseshit)

Why do you love her Lyme?

what the fuck is wrong with her fingers

excited for some actual fucking news

YOUR FACE

TO FACE

WITH THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

I am.

The fact that we kind of don't really know what the plot is makes me way more excited about it desu. I hope the marketing stays as vague as it's been so far.

And, as a farewell to the Moffat era, it's kind of a momentous occasion. I'll always have a serious affinity for these years of Who.

Shame you're not sharing it with a certain other trip.

lads

I'd actually really love it if I didn't see any more footage from Christmas before it airs

sdal

Because she's a qt3.14, the most qt3.14

Same here. I adore the Moffat era and even though I'm excited for Jodie, I will miss it a lot. I'm in this weird position of being super hyped for Jodie, but also sad Capaldi's leaving, but at the same time really really excited to see how the episode and regeneration pans out. It always becomes so iconic.

Iconic isn't it?

>It always becomes so iconic.
Is The Last Adventure iconic? Can anyone here even name 6's last words offhand?

Well it's extremely likely we'll get a lying down regeneration
I really hope the effect itself mirrors the Tenth Planet effect (still the best regeneration visual there's been!) mixed with the modern yellow light effect.

What opinions does /who/ have about regenerations, especially in terms of visuals?

Someone photoshop Jodie's painting into this, I beg you all

PLEASE

Oh yeah I'm exactly the same. I'd been working on a VFX video of a lying down regeneration although I couldn't really get the right Jodie picture to make it look good.

Someone wants to come to my place and orally gratify me

What episode of Doctor Who should I have playing in the background while it's happening?

Okay that rick and morty episode was actually pretty good, they managed to analyze a bunch of tropes but it didnt feel cluttered because they were all ricks and morties, im impressed

Ill do it, gimme 15

Love and Monsters, do you even have to ask?

youtube.com/watch?v=-GC5rAX0xHg

Okay, I get it. The Doctor Who fanbase is shit. But honestly, I'd rather take a load of teen girls obsessed with Tennant being hot and calling Capaldi "oogleh" than shit like video related, it makes DW fans look really calm and collected

>What opinions does /who/ have about regenerations, especially in terms of visuals?
1's is great.
I hate the S6B shit for trying to nullify 2's regeneration and shove it into a comic and dull the impact of possibly the best serial of Who there is. I liked the visuals of it, on TV.
3 and 4's are good.
5's is excellent.
6's is basically non-existent, the audio version did a fairly good job.
I like what they did with 7's although I go back and forth over whether the guns were enough and they needed the Grace bit too.
8's was good visually, a bit distinct from the NewWho ones but still in that pattern. I go back and forth over the circumstances of it.
9's and 10's looked good, I hated the 10 fakeout though. His actual regeneration I liked.
11's fakeouts I didn't like. The visuals of the regeneration in that era (River too) were fine, River's were interesting in that some of them fit the pattern more (young River), some of them were more their own thing (Mels>River, kind of more like 11>12).
The iconic regeneration sound + stance is a very useful shorthand in NewWho and I think keeping it somewhat consistent is a good idea, but I'm stoked for a floor regeneration at Christmas.

I-I'd say Paradise Towers

Right? Bizzarely, despite how strongly it seemed to be setup for future events, the rest of the season completely ignores it. Probably for the best, as it works well on its own.

Yeah I don't think anyone here would argue with you on that

Both good suggestions hm....

Should I even bother? I could just gratify myself, dunno if I should bother with all this to do. What do you think?

Play Renegade Master on repeat. Throw the remix in a few times

I can't imagine doing that sort of shit to alternate versions of myself.

>I could just gratify myself...
wow, I didn't know Marilyn Manson browses /who/

I actually think that maybe all the Tennant fans might have migrated to Rick and Morty.

>the iconic regeneration sound

Yeah, it's definitely a subtle thing but the sound of regeneration energy is really iconic at this point. It wasn't even in The Parting of the Ways, was it? Or at least it wasn't too prominent. In fact, a lot of people say the Eccleston and Tennant regenerations were really similar, but the regeneration colour was quite different for Tennant.

Another staple of regeneration that didn't really happen with Eccles was the energy starting at the hands. It's basically a tradition at this point to have the hand and the sound effect signify a regeneration, but it didn't really become a thing until relatively recently.

I'm surprised they didn't release the clean regeneration sound effect on the 50th anniversary soundtrack box set honestly.

Don't be shy now

Our future is in safe hands.

I didn't really notice how iconic the sound was until it was used as a cliffhanger for an audio and I was like "damn, that actually really worked".
The ringing sound isn't in 9's yeah, not that I can hear.
I think it's the glowly gold explosion and Jesus stance that link 9 and 10 enough.
Good point with the hands too.

I think they'll go back to it later, I hope so.

version 1

I'm not shy just paranoid that someone will come home during. Doesn't seem worth the risk when I can take care of matters myself.

Elton has it easy, just pull out the slab and give her a jab and wham.

Why, they probably think that Rick is an "oogleh" old man like Capaldi.

There wasn't a better picture of River Song?

She looks so uncomfortable in this one

Can someone do it with...the other Jodie painting
You lads know what I mean

version 2

BASED KINDANONYMOUS

He did have a little glow in the hand, but it wasn't the same sound we know now, that didn't come until Utopia's Master regeneration iirc

i can do stuff in after effects if people want too. \

this is a bad example though because i half assed the tracking

I only realised it recently, but I think regeneration is my absolute favourite concept in Doctor Who. I think that's why I find Matt Smith's regeneration monologue so profound and why I find The End of Time to be such an injustice.
Hopefully TUAT does a good job at exploring the concept further

Well I guess western cartoons aren't like anime where a 900 year old man looks like a little boy.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Clara’s character arc. The emotional moments are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classic literature most of the subtle characterization moments will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Clara’s control freak nature, which is deftly woven into her characterization- her outlook on life draws heavily from First wave feminist literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these little moments, to realize that they’re not just padding to show how clever Clara is- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Clara truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the beauty in Clara’s existential catchphrase “Run you clever boy and you remember me,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s Russian epic Crime and Punishment. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Steven Moffat’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

>TUAT
kek

I hate this criticism. His personality changes with EVERY regeneration. Why does everyone insist he must always be happy with the fact that he has to regenerate YET AGAIN? He had issues at the beginning struggling with whether or not he was a goodman, and so soon after he figures that out, he's dying yet again, and who knows what she'll be feeling when she finishes?

Old rumour re-emerging about Smith having a very small cameo in the Christmas special.

Why though?

You've misread my post, I adore what they're doing with 12 and I can't wait to see Moffat and Capaldi take it to completion. It's what TEoT should've been in my eyes.

>a 900 year old man looks like a little boy

eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh.....

Good content

9: So was I
10: I don't wanna go
11: When The Doctor was me
12: Before I go, don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who YouTube channel.

>Why does everyone insist he must always be happy with the fact that he has to regenerate YET AGAIN?
Different user but I don't, I'm perfectly happy with what they're doing with 12 for example. Being unhappy about regeneration or scared of it isn't the problem, the problem is sabotaging viewers' relationship with the character by trying to alienate them from all future incarnations eg EOT.

Rick could technically live forever if he continuously uploaded his mind to alternate versions of himself or clones with no ill effect.

>like anime where a 900 year old man looks like a little boy.
Or like the Smith era

Why can't we ever get a dark regeneration?

Where the Doctor is fearful of it and is genuinely scared of going?

That would be great if those were his final words. The dubs confirm it.

war ready

waaaar ready

I feel very strongly that regeneration works best when it's depicted as an analogue for the way people organically grow and change in real life

Doctor Who is one of the dullest franchises in the history of BBC's series franchises. Seriously each episode following the time lord and his pals from England as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Moffat vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his scripts. The Moffat Era series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the script was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character said "Fuck you", the author wrote instead that the character "Fuck Offerino."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Moffat's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Heaven Sent by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Doctor Who at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read Moffat's "Heaven Sent" script you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

But...we did. More than once.

Moffat's finale, Christmas special, bit of fun, why not?

Story-wise, no idea. Probably just something to mark the end of an era.

That would be fucking traumatic and a horrible idea
they did a take of Tennant's regeneration where that was the sort of vibe he gave in his performance but thankfully they decided against it. It's on YouTube, it's an interesting watch

youtu.be/qWM7l9SAipg?t=49

>Moffat's finale,

oh yeah too right, i keep forgetting it's moffs final hurrah aswell, hopefully we get some nods to jenny vastra and strax too.

I can get behind this pasta being used for more than just Harry Potter

Wait, I just remembered Troughton's regeneration. That's pretty much what you described and it was done flawlessly. I retract my original statement somewhat.

I also like it was tapping into a greater "humanity" (yes I know Time Lords aren't human, you know what I mean), broader universal type thing, a sort of general unity, interconnectivity...it's only one more layer of abstraction to go from "1 and 11 are the same person" to push it into a more general shared unity. Not necessarily as a reincarnation thing, but we're all of the same universe and atoms, the same collective reality, I like regeneration as a concept for encouraging characters to identify beyond their ego and into a broader understanding of identity.

Best regeneration

Yeah...I don't think we need to ask what your religion is anymore.

He did try and dance around it by not actually saying "ego death".

Kek, this response reminds me of that 'levels of consciousness' meme.
As in, my original post is the first level and your reply is the next one up
how do we go deeper

Darker than that.

Never seen that but it's interesting.

Big Finish gets spooky!

As we get closer and closer to the spookiest time of the year, we look at some haunted Halloween treats to see us through until October 31st.

Happy Halloween! The season of terror is upon us and the Big Finish Team went through the archives to find the most haunted tales in Big Finish history!

bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-gets-spooky

I like regeneration being a risk.

Why not actually discuss Doctor Who, reply to Neo's points about Doctor Who, or make your own replies to the regeneration post, instead of gossiping about his religious stances?

The reason we've never had that again is because the Doctor has never been forcibly regenerated by the Time Lords since, he's always just sustained fatal injury on an adventure and faced it as an occupational hazard. Two's was so upsetting to him because it was genuinely a senseless waste and a violation of his agency.

I love Planet of the Spiders for touching on this as well, even though that story is an undeniable clusterfuck

Actually nevermind, this isn't even a sale

>they can get arthur but we havent got any last centrion adventures yet

If I was a time lord and regeneration worked like that I'd fucking kill myself
Unless you mean a small risk, like the same probability as being born with a genetic defect or something.

>they have Arthur Darvill but still haven't been able to do anything DW-related with him since Matt is too busy doing something that will make him bankrupt

Same. Overstuffed regeneration eps that stumble a bit in their ambition but are admirable for trying anyways? Where have I heard that before...

Don't forget fans trying to dull and nullify the tragedy of it by continuity wanking a different regeneration.
Nice phrasing of what happened to 2. It really was horrifying.

lmao

Look, if your head got sliced off you'd probably die before you got the chance to regenerate.

I kind of wish regeneration wasn't made such a huge deal about when it comes. Tennant's finale was all about his final battle, and he was aware of his upcoming death. Smith's wasn't, but he was fighting for Trenzalore which was originally his resting place and regeneration energy at least played a hand in him saving the day. Rewind back to Eccleston, however, and you just have a solidly good piece of drama which happens to make the Doctor regenerate at the end. I much prefer that.

New ST2 audio finally finished!

The War of the Doctor

youtu.be/e6VF_US6YG0

What if the Bad Wolf tried to "fix" the Doctor, but in the process splintered off dozens of alternate timelines that explained inconsistencies like 8 originally regenerating into 9, or the Doctor originally actually using the Moment? Spoilers for 8’s audios. 1 hour, 10 minutes.

>fans trying to dull and nullify the tragedy of it by continuity wanking a different regeneration.
What do you mean? The Season 6B stuff? I never felt that actually invalidated the canon ending of War Games, just added an optional interlude.

Yeah. I just headcanon it away because I dislike it a lot.