Whats your opinion about this movie? A lot of people act like it was one of the best movies of 2016...

Whats your opinion about this movie? A lot of people act like it was one of the best movies of 2016. I watched it recently and it was pretty meh.

The scene at the end with chinese general felt really dumb.

The protag's story was fine, it was the Tom Clancy bullshit political plot that fucking ruined it. Seriously, a first contact film and China/Russia are the hot-headed bad guys? Fuck right off.

Also it's dumb as shit that all the chimp-outs were supposed to be a concern for the scientists, as if their inability to decode an extraterrestrial language was responsible or meaningful in relation to "muh POTUS wants results" bullshit.

Genuinely good.

>Seriously, a first contact film and China/Russia are the hot-headed bad guys?
t. putinbot

Arrival is practically capeshit. The film was made so middlebrow viewers like you can tip your film buff hats and be tricked into feeling like you're a somehow more discerning viewer, appreciating the medium on a level beyond the plebes, but it's normiecore schlock all the same. This film was Nolan level spoonfeeding trash, Villeneuve just hasn't gotten to the point where his name has become unfashionable yet.

>A lot of people
get out of the basement you fat fuck
the movie is a magnet for fedora tippers

The first encounter scenes were really well done, and Amy Adams laying in bed spooning a body pillow made my heart hurt.

>Abbot is death process.

pro-life propaganda

do you go outside , bro?

I thought the scene where they first enter the ship was legit breathtaking.

Rest was great but I didn’t really connect with it like I did Sicario or 2049. Maybe it’s just Amy Adams.

but if it was her I wouldn’t have liked Nocturnal Animals as much as I did so who tf knows

this

Pretty good.

It's good but I don't know why anybody would ever rewatch it.

Because China is historically cool and reasonable, right?

It was not very good. The alien parts were good but I didn't like all that fuss about the lady and all other stuff that wasn't about the cool aliens.

So very good for aliens, but the humans sucked!

I liked a lot of things about it. The whole idea of trying to establish a common language with an alien species was fascinating and I like the way it played out in the movie. The idea of a race that experiences time in a completely different way, and can change our experience of time by teaching us that language, was also cool. Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner were great and had surprisingly good chemistry.

The military/geopolitical stuff was dumb and poorly handled, seemed shipped in from a completely different movie. Some truly stupid moments there, like the US soldiers watching Alex Jones videos and "going rogue" to blow up the spaceship, or Amy Adams's psychic deus ex machina with the Chinese PM, it was all pretty bad.

I was not familiar with the original story before seeing the film, but was not surprised to learn that the good parts were in the source material, and the shitty parts were invented for the screenplay to make it more "exciting."

>tfw

great visuals
good temporal paradox plot
ruined by inability to suspend belief during
>muh obligatory trigger happy men
>muh obligatory powerful woman lead
>muh prescient alien commits suicide by exposure to known certain death at hands of muh trigger happy men
>muh geopolitical situation still takes precedent in the face of alien presence with overwhelmingly superior technology

also, don't take the fact that it has a good plot distract you from it's overwhelming simplicity, this movie is geared towards your local women studies graduate
real science fiction fans would have encountered the prescience paradox that is the whole premise of this movie as a side-subplot in works like Dune, for example

and yes, that scene was horrible, but how would you have made Debbie who reads Salon feel like she understood at least half the plot?

Sicario is in my top 5 films of the decade

Here's another stranger's opinion you don't know or will ever meet

It was meh

Agreed this movie never clicked with me. Amy Adams is a decent enough actress but I have a hard time giving a shit about her. Not sure what it is. Also this movie was Villenueve who usually makes Kino but this didn't live up to Sicario or Enemy or 2049 imo

It was good and Amy Adams gave a great performance, but the explanation for amy adams’ character being able to see the future felt so lazy and tenuous. It was basically “I understand their language so I can suddenly see the future!” It is a decent movie, but one whose flaws become more apparent on repeat viewings. I definitely don’t think it is some sort of sci fi masterpiece that some claim. For the record, I loved blade runner 2049 and think sicario, prisoners, and enemy were all great

It was excellent and all of your meme criticisms are a joke.

The first half is VERY good
But overall I think it's one of Dennis' weakest movies

also, the whole romance aspect between Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner felt extremely undercooked.

I will say that I thought it’s soundtrack was amazing, and is one of my favorites of the last several years

screenwriter is a 14yo fat girl.

I didnt know you wrote it, user, pretty cool

>implying the morally correct choice needs propoganda

The first half of the film was kinda low, and the way that the whole world depended on the comand of one chink general was also dumb. But it was a good film overral.

>was kinda slow
fixd

It was okay. Better than the usual sci-fi flick, but nothing to write home about.
I liked it.

I didn't like it very much, I thought it was weaker than Prisoners, Sicario, and Blade Runner